Discounts for neat and tidy guests who don't smoke

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm...this leads to the question of qualifying buyers....will post question in another thread.

Just had a webervations reservation come in for this weekend, closely followed by an email from the guest. As my November special was extended, rooms are dirt cheap right now. She wanted to include a third adult and a dog for that price; I told her no, but she would be welcome to rent a second room at that reduced rate. She cancelled.
What the ....? She had to check the policies box in webervations that states no pets and two people per room. And where else around here does she think she's going to stay with that hoard for that price....and her email signature shows that she is a muckety-muck for Daimler Benz! Excuse me for not grasping at that straw....I'd rather sleep in!
Edited to add: Double WTF!!?? My realtor just called me to say that a lady by the same name (what a co-inkydink) wants to set up a showing for the house on Saturday. Now what in the hell........
Wow, that is interesting. So, she wanted to have a look see at the place on the cheap and now she has to stay elsewhere to do it? Is she from nearby or will she be paying someone else the money she wouldn't pay to you?
Hopefully, if she is a serious looker, she'll remember her own behavior when it happens to her down the road!
Morticia said:
Wow, that is interesting. So, she wanted to have a look see at the place on the cheap and now she has to stay elsewhere to do it? Is she from nearby or will she be paying someone else the money she wouldn't pay to you?
Hopefully, if she is a serious looker, she'll remember her own behavior when it happens to her down the road!
After she left our website, she did googled "cheap lodgings in XXXX, MI), and ended back up on our site. Even the fleabag motel in town in the same rate as we are....bleck.
I told my realtor to grill her about her intentions, and her finances. If she does not have the cash or some kind of private financing in place, I don't want her to even come. Already had one lady like this who turned me inside out for what appears to be nothing. I'm not so desperate that I will clean my arse off and sweat it for some shmoe who just wants to yank me around.
Oh, great, 'cheap lodgings,' that's what she's interested in? You're right to make sure your broker only brings qualified viewers. No use wasting your time.
Agreed.
Even if she is a real potential buyer (which I would seriously doubt) can you imagine how ridiculous the negotiations would get with someone you already know is, how should we say, not so nice?
I can't remember what site I was on today reading...inns for sale in some state...and the statement was made that if they bought the place they would be reimbursed for any stays at the inn prior to the sale. I thought that was an interesting way to go about it.

Just had a webervations reservation come in for this weekend, closely followed by an email from the guest. As my November special was extended, rooms are dirt cheap right now. She wanted to include a third adult and a dog for that price; I told her no, but she would be welcome to rent a second room at that reduced rate. She cancelled.
What the ....? She had to check the policies box in webervations that states no pets and two people per room. And where else around here does she think she's going to stay with that hoard for that price....and her email signature shows that she is a muckety-muck for Daimler Benz! Excuse me for not grasping at that straw....I'd rather sleep in!
Edited to add: Double WTF!!?? My realtor just called me to say that a lady by the same name (what a co-inkydink) wants to set up a showing for the house on Saturday. Now what in the hell........
Morticia said:
After she left our website, she did googled "cheap lodgings in XXXX, MI), and ended back up on our site. Even the fleabag motel in town in the same rate as we are....bleck.
I told my realtor to grill her about her intentions, and her finances. If she does not have the cash or some kind of private financing in place, I don't want her to even come. Already had one lady like this who turned me inside out for what appears to be nothing. I'm not so desperate that I will clean my arse off and sweat it for some shmoe who just wants to yank me around.
Little Blue said:
OK, not knowing much about computers, etc. I am wondering how you know that she went to google and what she typed in?? I'm assuming you can see that "cheap lodgings in XXXX, MI" is what brought someone to your site, but how do you know it was her???

Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
OK, not knowing much about computers, etc. I am wondering how you know that she went to google and what she typed in?? I'm assuming you can see that "cheap lodgings in XXXX, MI" is what brought someone to your site, but how do you know it was her???
GeorgiaGirl said:
Little Blue said:
Tracking software probably.
RIki

How about charging more for guests who do smoke? I am unable to even be in the dining room with these guests the smoke smell is so strong. I have to put the food down and leave immediately.

Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
Little Blue said:
RIki
egoodell said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
Little Blue said:
RIki
Yes, that's why I love Opentracker, it allows me to see what people are doing on my site in real time. After using GA for several days now, I don't like it anywhere near as much as my OT.
Funny thing is, she made online reservations again this morning, but for two rooms both nights, no dog. Makes my head spin. And my realtor still has not heard back from her, so who knows what she's thinking. I will, however, take the four room nights and be my charming and gracious self no matter what happens! :)

Morticia said:
Oh, great, 'cheap lodgings,' that's what she's interested in? You're right to make sure your broker only brings qualified viewers. No use wasting your time.
Agreed.
Even if she is a real potential buyer (which I would seriously doubt) can you imagine how ridiculous the negotiations would get with someone you already know is, how should we say, not so nice?
I can't remember what site I was on today reading...inns for sale in some state...and the statement was made that if they bought the place they would be reimbursed for any stays at the inn prior to the sale. I thought that was an interesting way to go about it.
catlady said:
Oooh I like that :)

Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
Little Blue said:
RIki
egoodell said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
Little Blue said:
RIki
Yes, that's why I love Opentracker, it allows me to see what people are doing on my site in real time. After using GA for several days now, I don't like it anywhere near as much as my OT.
Funny thing is, she made online reservations again this morning, but for two rooms both nights, no dog. Makes my head spin. And my realtor still has not heard back from her, so who knows what she's thinking. I will, however, take the four room nights and be my charming and gracious self no matter what happens! :)
The ability to track a kook like this potential guest is interesting, but sleuthing of kooks aside, what business decisions or website changes has this level of tracking allowed you to make that would justify the $200-$240 per year that you pay for OpenTracker? Just wondering professionally what the ROI is.

Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
Little Blue said:
RIki
egoodell said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
Little Blue said:
RIki
The ability to track a kook like this potential guest is interesting, but sleuthing of kooks aside, what business decisions or website changes has this level of tracking allowed you to make that would justify the $200-$240 per year that you pay for OpenTracker? Just wondering professionally what the ROI is.
swirt said:
I check my stats ALOT, and I like the fact that OT concentrates on the visitors, in chronological order. Within one click, I can find their IP, area code and city location, how many times and when they've been on the site, and how many and what pages they looked at, and how long they spent on each page, which links they may have used to exit the site, which keywords they used each time they visited, and/or what referring pages brought them in. GA might allow for that, but I haven't found where.
The reports are very easy and very detailed....I guess I would have to cite my propensity to micromanage website traffic, ease of use, and the detailed information I get from visitors. With OT, I don't have to add anything to my outgoing links (of which both of my sites have MANY) in order to track them. Everything I need is in one easy spot. Maybe I just don't get the instant gratification with GA that I get with OT. I guess, to me, what it offers makes it worth the money....maybe it's just familiarity....but I like it. That makes it worth the $165 it costs me per year. In fact, I would pay that amount for OT before I would pay it for iloveinns or lanierbb.

Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
Little Blue said:
RIki
egoodell said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
Little Blue said:
RIki
swirt said:
I check my stats ALOT, and I like the fact that OT concentrates on the visitors, in chronological order. Within one click, I can find their IP, area code and city location, how many times and when they've been on the site, and how many and what pages they looked at, and how long they spent on each page, which links they may have used to exit the site, which keywords they used each time they visited, and/or what referring pages brought them in. GA might allow for that, but I haven't found where.
The reports are very easy and very detailed....I guess I would have to cite my propensity to micromanage website traffic, ease of use, and the detailed information I get from visitors. With OT, I don't have to add anything to my outgoing links (of which both of my sites have MANY) in order to track them. Everything I need is in one easy spot. Maybe I just don't get the instant gratification with GA that I get with OT. I guess, to me, what it offers makes it worth the money....maybe it's just familiarity....but I like it. That makes it worth the $165 it costs me per year. In fact, I would pay that amount for OT before I would pay it for iloveinns or lanierbb.
I agree, OpenTracker is much more visitor centric while Analytics is probably better described as content centric and group centric. And don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be argumentative or defend one approach over the other, I'm just interested in how the extra details have changed what you are doing?
For example: You have all your outgoing links tracked, what do you do with that info? If lots of people are following a link to XYZ, what do you change as a result of knowing that?
What do you do with knowing people's area codes? Has that info influenced how you market as opposed to just knowing their geolocation that you can get in one report from Analytics?

Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
Little Blue said:
RIki
egoodell said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
Little Blue said:
RIki
swirt said:
I agree, OpenTracker is much more visitor centric while Analytics is probably better described as content centric and group centric. And don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be argumentative or defend one approach over the other, I'm just interested in how the extra details have changed what you are doing?
For example: You have all your outgoing links tracked, what do you do with that info? If lots of people are following a link to XYZ, what do you change as a result of knowing that?
What do you do with knowing people's area codes? Has that info influenced how you market as opposed to just knowing their geolocation that you can get in one report from Analytics?
swirt said:
You have all your outgoing links tracked, what do you do with that info? If lots of people are following a link to XYZ, what do you change as a result of knowing that?
On my Michigan Inn Guide site, I generate traffic reports for each of the Inns with website links...many of whom don't track their own traffic at all. I can tell them not only how many visitors we sent, but how many people checked their availability calendar, and how many used the email to the Inn link.
On the Inn site, outgoing links are not as important, but it still allows me to track what information people are interested in most, and I can adjust my seasonal attractions and events links and information quickly as a result. Strangely, I've found that having some of that info on the home page results in longer site visits with more average pages viewed.
Really, after your last post, I did some side by side comparisons with OT and GA....I just don't like the way GA presents information...too many steps and back and forth and not enough detail to make me happy. For instance, I see a report New Guests vs. Returning Guests, but for instance, the "Returning Guests" report does not tell me who they are, how many times they've been, or where they are from, just numbers and percentages. No doubt there are other reports I could do, but I haven't found them yet, and none that I've seen give me the detail I crave all at once!
Long story short, for someone obsessed with web traffic, OT just works better for me. No doubt I could make do with GA...and I am going to save our regional Inns some $$$ by using it for the Association website in 2010. That site is only five pages, and I don't check stats on it anywhere near as often. Perhaps by next year, I'll be an old hand with GA and decide to switch all sites over...but not right now, my OCD would cause me to freak out.
With Opentracker, I can see when repeat visitors (like aspiring innkeepers from the Inns for sale pages) when they are on my site (some for the 30th time or more) and I know just who they are at a glance. Most people would not want that kind of detail, but I can't help myself. :)
So, I'll let you know when the Inn's OT account expires in a few months! I will be tracking using both until then.

Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
Little Blue said:
RIki
egoodell said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
Little Blue said:
RIki
swirt said:
swirt said:
You have all your outgoing links tracked, what do you do with that info? If lots of people are following a link to XYZ, what do you change as a result of knowing that?
On my Michigan Inn Guide site, I generate traffic reports for each of the Inns with website links...many of whom don't track their own traffic at all. I can tell them not only how many visitors we sent, but how many people checked their availability calendar, and how many used the email to the Inn link.
On the Inn site, outgoing links are not as important, but it still allows me to track what information people are interested in most, and I can adjust my seasonal attractions and events links and information quickly as a result. Strangely, I've found that having some of that info on the home page results in longer site visits with more average pages viewed.
Really, after your last post, I did some side by side comparisons with OT and GA....I just don't like the way GA presents information...too many steps and back and forth and not enough detail to make me happy. For instance, I see a report New Guests vs. Returning Guests, but for instance, the "Returning Guests" report does not tell me who they are, how many times they've been, or where they are from, just numbers and percentages. No doubt there are other reports I could do, but I haven't found them yet, and none that I've seen give me the detail I crave all at once!
Long story short, for someone obsessed with web traffic, OT just works better for me. No doubt I could make do with GA...and I am going to save our regional Inns some $$$ by using it for the Association website in 2010. That site is only five pages, and I don't check stats on it anywhere near as often. Perhaps by next year, I'll be an old hand with GA and decide to switch all sites over...but not right now, my OCD would cause me to freak out.
With Opentracker, I can see when repeat visitors (like aspiring innkeepers from the Inns for sale pages) when they are on my site (some for the 30th time or more) and I know just who they are at a glance. Most people would not want that kind of detail, but I can't help myself. :)
So, I'll let you know when the Inn's OT account expires in a few months! I will be tracking using both until then.
Oh right, I forgot you run a guide site as well. Tracking outgoing traffic makes perfect sense there.
Analytics does not let you drill down to the specific visitor. That I believe is intentional so they do not run into the kind of privacy issues that legally require a disclaimer on every site. The tools are geared toward looking at patterns of the masses rather than the behavior of the individual. With properly set up goals you can come as close as most innkeepers need to tracking interested parties (but again not interested individuals)
Thanks for sharing how you use OT to guide your decisions. That helps.

I was up cleaning a room, came down to this message:
"We are looking at staying there this weekend, Saturday only, and I was just wondering if you have any discounts that you are not offering online?" ..."Call me back"
Well y'all, should I offer the neat and tidy and non smokers discount? DOH!!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

I was up cleaning a room, came down to this message:
"We are looking at staying there this weekend, Saturday only, and I was just wondering if you have any discounts that you are not offering online?" ..."Call me back"
Well y'all, should I offer the neat and tidy and non smokers discount? DOH!!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
Blame the media...obviously the person want s a DIFFERENT discount because they're special. Or they don't fit any of the discounts you have, including booking online. Or the discount isn't enough.
We get them both ways...discount for staying only one night (they'll fill an otherwise emoty room and we want that, right?) or the 'multiple night discount' (we're staying more than one night so you don't have to do any housework so why not give that money to us?)
OK, I actually make the money on the second night, not the first one, that's why you're not getting it.

I returned her call, she said she already saw the $20 off and asked "Well, what else do you have?"
I paused for a moment, and then said, "I am not sure what you are after? I am offering $20 off"
She said, "Well don't you offer AARP or AAA?" I replied "Well typically those are 10% off, on the room which is $120 that would be ONLY $12, I am offering $20 off, that is much more than AARP or AAA" - just in case math is not her strong suit.
Irritates you doesn't it. I will RENEG the $20 off, I only have it offered til March 25th.
Again, from day one, from the very beginning of my forum-life I have said I do not want AAA guests, we did not renew to be in the book. We do not offer AAA. This is how they are, they are not B&B people, they are MOTEL people.
Oh and for those wondering - as I always say those who have the most tend to be the cheapest, you know my theory. A couple here in their new Mercedes decided not to go out and eat and instead took advantage of anything and everything they could get their hands on for their one night stay. Snacks I out out for all the guests - they sat at the table and ate. Coffee, cocoa, cider, sodas, snacks, peanuts, tea, they consumed as much as possible.
I just found more candy wrappers upstairs. They were beyond arrogant, and what a shocker really wanted to get their money's worth.
This is fine, since most do not even touch any of these extras they go off before they are eaten most of the time...so it all evens out. But thought I would mention it here as way of a gripe.
cry_smile.gif

I returned her call, she said she already saw the $20 off and asked "Well, what else do you have?"
I paused for a moment, and then said, "I am not sure what you are after? I am offering $20 off"
She said, "Well don't you offer AARP or AAA?" I replied "Well typically those are 10% off, on the room which is $120 that would be ONLY $12, I am offering $20 off, that is much more than AARP or AAA" - just in case math is not her strong suit.
Irritates you doesn't it. I will RENEG the $20 off, I only have it offered til March 25th.
Again, from day one, from the very beginning of my forum-life I have said I do not want AAA guests, we did not renew to be in the book. We do not offer AAA. This is how they are, they are not B&B people, they are MOTEL people.
Oh and for those wondering - as I always say those who have the most tend to be the cheapest, you know my theory. A couple here in their new Mercedes decided not to go out and eat and instead took advantage of anything and everything they could get their hands on for their one night stay. Snacks I out out for all the guests - they sat at the table and ate. Coffee, cocoa, cider, sodas, snacks, peanuts, tea, they consumed as much as possible.
I just found more candy wrappers upstairs. They were beyond arrogant, and what a shocker really wanted to get their money's worth.
This is fine, since most do not even touch any of these extras they go off before they are eaten most of the time...so it all evens out. But thought I would mention it here as way of a gripe.
cry_smile.gif
Vent away....there are always a few guests that really take advantage. Did they reap the benefit of your March special too? arrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

cry_smile.gif
Vent away....there are always a few guests that really take advantage. Did they reap the benefit of your March special too? arrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
Samster said:
Of course.
I don't think this other gal will book. I guess she wants a free room. Off to to try get the dust off these wood floors...I bought pansies today and put them all over the porch til it is fern season. Our Daffies are blooming too...yeah Spring!!! FINALLY. :)

Back