Discussion of PAII's new site and PAII convention (moved)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great resource posting, Swirt!
regular_smile.gif

For all on this fourm, if you haven't checked out our new web site, take a peek at www.innkeeping.org. LOTS of changes.
And, thanks to several of you on here, we will be announcing big changes to our membership model in about 2 months making membership in PAII a "no brainer."
Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
I saw The Innkeepers Store and thought there would be tshirts available. You know, like black tshirts with white lettering:
"INNKEEPING IS NOT FOR SISSIES"
Fantastic idea! Let's see what we can come up with.
Hi Jay,
What is the difference between the November New England Innkeeping show and the Innkeeping Show in Austin Texas. Do people got to both or just one of them?
There are two main differences...
Most of the content at the New England Show will focus on truly regional matters, i.e. tapping into New England tourism efforts, working with New England farmers to get great New England-grown food to your guests, working with New England media, meetings with the six state tourism departments, etc. We'll sprinkle in some general education content, i.e. internet marketing, operations issues, etc.
The other main difference will be the depth and breadth of the event itself. The Innkeeping Show in Austin covers about 4 days, and you typically find up to 8 classes being offered at the same time. TONS of choices, much larger experience overall. The New England Show is basically a day and a half. Short and sweet, but meaningful, for the drive-in market.
But, that being said, we might realize big success with the New England meeting. TripAdvisor CEO, Steve Kaufer, accepted my invitation to come join us at the event. Vendors are eager to participate. So, this could be as big as the Austin event! :) We'll see.
I expect many innkeepers will come to both shows, since they're both valuable. And of course some will choose one over the other.
Jay
If you've never gone to a PAII conference, all I can say is GO!!!!!!
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes they are great IF YOU have the moolah. EXPENSIVE
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Yes, it can add up, but it's a tax write off and you will learn an enormous amount which helps you increase business. Well worth it in the long run. We go every 2 years and I know we would not be as successful if we didn't participate.
Breakfast Diva said:
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Yes, it can add up, but it's a tax write off and you will learn an enormous amount which helps you increase business. Well worth it in the long run. We go every 2 years and I know we would not be as successful if we didn't participate.
Again, I'm not arguing whether it's a write off or not. With just two rooms, I have to pay my bills. What does a write off do for me if the conference costs over $2000 to go?? Write offs don't pay my mortgage. To me it's a luxury, and I wold go and play and learn if I could afford it. My state association conference does the same on a smaller scale and far more affordable.
Riki

regular_smile.gif

For all on this fourm, if you haven't checked out our new web site, take a peek at www.innkeeping.org. LOTS of changes.
And, thanks to several of you on here, we will be announcing big changes to our membership model in about 2 months making membership in PAII a "no brainer."
Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
I saw The Innkeepers Store and thought there would be tshirts available. You know, like black tshirts with white lettering:
Hi Jay,
What is the difference between the November New England Innkeeping show and the Innkeeping Show in Austin Texas. Do people got to both or just one of them?
Most of the content at the New England Show will focus on truly regional matters, i.e. tapping into New England tourism efforts, working with New England farmers to get great New England-grown food to your guests, working with New England media, meetings with the six state tourism departments, etc. We'll sprinkle in some general education content, i.e. internet marketing, operations issues, etc.
The other main difference will be the depth and breadth of the event itself. The Innkeeping Show in Austin covers about 4 days, and you typically find up to 8 classes being offered at the same time. TONS of choices, much larger experience overall. The New England Show is basically a day and a half. Short and sweet, but meaningful, for the drive-in market.
But, that being said, we might realize big success with the New England meeting. TripAdvisor CEO, Steve Kaufer, accepted my invitation to come join us at the event. Vendors are eager to participate. So, this could be as big as the Austin event! :) We'll see.
I expect many innkeepers will come to both shows, since they're both valuable. And of course some will choose one over the other.
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Yes, it can add up, but it's a tax write off
Sorry, it is not a tax write-off. It IS a tax deduction, but only a portion of it comes off the taxes. I already have so many deductions ot would not matter one whit for my taxes but it would for my bank account. OUCH!
See that is the big problem. I am not anti-Conference. Actually I am pro-Conference - it is such a learning and networking experience. BUT I am barely able to afford my State Association Conference - PAII is unreachable for my meager income. Not playing "poor-mouth", just the facts. I probably give away roo many nights to state members and to my City and donate (still) more than I should, but am really content with where I am so the $$$ are not all that important - as long as I can come up with the honking loan payment, insurance, and taxes I have all I want. Next year starts the get it in gear to show what it would be if I did not give away the store so it will be saleable in 2 years. No freebie donations for 2010.
Hey, if you're happy where you are great! No need to spend the money. I think you may be in the minority though. Most inn mates here are looking for a little bigger piece of the pie.
If any of you do go to the conference, we could do a meet and greet for inn mates. I've already got my innsitter lined up.
Breakfast Diva said:
Hey, if you're happy where you are great! No need to spend the money. I think you may be in the minority though. Most inn mates here are looking for a little bigger piece of the pie.
If any of you do go to the conference, we could do a meet and greet for inn mates. I've already got my innsitter lined up.
Okay I just checked to see if the costs have imrpoved. Now figure airline and hotel on top ot this:
[td] [/td][/tr][td] Price: $639.00 - Log in for Member Pricing
Full Conference - Lunches Included (more)

[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][td] Price: $35.00
Key Leaders Workshop (more)

[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][td] Price: $299.00 - Log in for Member Pricing
One Day Conference Registration (T, W, or Th) (more)

[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][td] Price: $150.00
Select Registry Events Only

[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][td] Price: $100.00 - Log in for Member Pricing
Trade Show Only - One Day (more)

[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][tr][th]Optional Tickets[/th][/tr][td] Price: $299.00 - Log in for Member Pricing
Aspiring Innkeepers Workshop (more)

[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][td] Price: $0.00
BedandBreakfast.com Internet Intensive - ADVANCED (more)

BedandBreakfast.com Internet Intensive - BASIC (more)

Select Registry Add On - Private Events (more)
As a Select Registry member your additional fee includes personalized registration check in by the Select Registry staff, members only breakfast on Tuesday morning and an opportunity to meet the new Executive Director and hear state of Select Registry, member only invitation to Select Registry Wednesday evening reception at an elegant downtown establishment (transportation included), full access to the trade show floor, Select Registry Members Lounge on the Trade Show floor, and workshops on Tuesday and Wednesday morning for those members interested in learning more about Select Registry’s property management system endeavor.
[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][td] Price: $999.00 - Log in for Member Pricing
Technology Pre-Conference Workshop with Tim Brady

Texas Bed & Breakfast Association Add On

[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][td] Price: $45.00
Thursday Awards Lunch

[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][td] Price: $45.00 - Log in for Member Pricing
Trade Show Lunch Ticket - Tuesday (more)

Trade Show Lunch Ticket - Wednesday (more)

Trade Show Only - One Day (more)[/td][/tr][/table]
The last time I went in Hilton Head, the price was all-inclusive for all the talks. Looks like there is a main cost and then additional cost for all the big seminars. Am I reading correctly that one alone is $999??????
Pretty pricey. I'd go if I had an extra $3000.
Riki

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Again, I'm not arguing whether it's a write off or not. With just two rooms, I have to pay my bills. What does a write off do for me if the conference costs over $2000 to go?? Write offs don't pay my mortgage. To me it's a luxury, and I wold go and play and learn if I could afford it. My state association conference does the same on a smaller scale and far more affordable.
Riki
I would like to know what our PAII dues pay for. Except for the magazine, everything they offer costs you more money.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Riki
I would like to know what our PAII dues pay for. Except for the magazine, everything they offer costs you more money.
SweetiePie said:
That's why to me it's a luxury. When I have five rooms, maybe I can afford it.
Riki

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Sorry, it is not a tax write-off. It IS a tax deduction, but only a portion of it comes off the taxes. I already have so many deductions ot would not matter one whit for my taxes but it would for my bank account. OUCH!
See that is the big problem. I am not anti-Conference. Actually I am pro-Conference - it is such a learning and networking experience. BUT I am barely able to afford my State Association Conference - PAII is unreachable for my meager income. Not playing "poor-mouth", just the facts. I probably give away roo many nights to state members and to my City and donate (still) more than I should, but am really content with where I am so the $$$ are not all that important - as long as I can come up with the honking loan payment, insurance, and taxes I have all I want. Next year starts the get it in gear to show what it would be if I did not give away the store so it will be saleable in 2 years. No freebie donations for 2010.
I did not say I am happy where I am with occupancy. I am always bustin' butt to build occupancy. What I did mean is a PAII Conference is waaaaaay beyond the means of this little 3 guestroom B & B in Podunk. I do not have any comfy retirement fund cushion. I have only been able to breathe a little easier since I lived long enough to draw SS. Would be OK if I had not added a bathroom and renovated the original guest bath. Until then I had no mortgage. PAII Conferences are BIG BUCKS and all I have is chump change - if I am lucky. Fortunately my State has a Governor's Conference on Tourism that has a lot of vendors and workshops for a lot less and if I need info on something at any time, all I have to do is ask.
I do give back to my community which does cut back on revenues, but that does not come close to equalling a PAII cost.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:
Okay I just checked to see if the costs have imrpoved. Now figure airline and hotel on top ot this:

[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][tr][th]Optional Tickets[/th][/tr][td] Price: $299.00 - Log in for Member Pricing

As a Select Registry member your additional fee includes personalized registration check in by the Select Registry staff, members only breakfast on Tuesday morning and an opportunity to meet the new Executive Director and hear state of Select Registry, member only invitation to Select Registry Wednesday evening reception at an elegant downtown establishment (transportation included), full access to the trade show floor, Select Registry Members Lounge on the Trade Show floor, and workshops on Tuesday and Wednesday morning for those members interested in learning more about Select Registry’s property management system endeavor.

Thursday Awards Lunch

The last time I went in Hilton Head, the price was all-inclusive for all the talks. Looks like there is a main cost and then additional cost for all the big seminars. Am I reading correctly that one alone is $999??????
Riki
If you're a PAII member, the cost is $439 for the main conference/seminars. Those other things you listed are add ons which are nice if you want to go to them, but certainly not necessary and not the main focus of the conference. The conference fee includes all the regular workshops and keynote speakers. We never add on any of the additional offerings.
I know it sounds like a lot of money, and believe me, I'm not here representing PAII or anyone else, I'm only telling you my experience after attending 3 conferences in the past 6 years.
Every time I go to the conference I come home with my head swimming with information. Inevitably, there are a few gems I can incorporate easily into our business which definitely increases the revenue. I can tell you that we have seen returns on our investment (the conference) a thousand fold.
If you are an innkeeper that is looking to increase your business, and make a more successful B&B but not quite sure how, then the investment of eduation is worth it. If you just can't afford to go, then you might consider getting the DVD of the workshops that they sell after the conference.
I really don't think I would have been able to increase our business as much as I have the past several years without attending these conferences.
In the past I have seen posts where an inn mate states they don't see how their PAII membership helps them...For me, PAII is about education. Now's the time to use your membership and take advantage of the reduced PAII membership rate.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:

Thursday Awards Lunch

Riki
If you're a PAII member, the full conference registration is $439 for the first person and $399 for the second. That includes access to more innkeeping classes than anything in the market. Registration includes the opening reception, three lunches, coffee breaks, and another evening reception on the trade show floor. It runs Monday night through Thursday early afternoon.
The only add-ons for the typical innkeeper *might* be if you want to attend an all-day intensive workshop that is focused on a singular topic. Right now we have one scheduled on that is $199 for members, and will be WELL worth the investment (the $999 is a mistake...I just alerted my staff to change it). Tim Brady is AMAZING and is one of the brightest innkeepers in our entire industry. He’ll be presenting on marketing your inn with new media and new technology. He was the hit of the Atlanta event.
If you’re a Select Registry property, there is a $150 add-on that covers functions for SR members. This is in lieu of SR having their own separate conference in 2010. Many innkeepers came to both our show and SR’s, so this will save them a lot of money. The vendors also greatly appreciate having only one show to go to.
I think just about all the other items pasted above are ala carte items - if you don’t want to opt for the full registration, i.e. trade show only badge, one-day registration badges, lunches, etc.
The lowest fee for the full conference in Hilton Head was $349 back in 2000 (it was $469 after the early bird deadline). Over ten years, the price increase to $439 looks like it was on average about a 2% increase each year. When coffee hotels that can hold our meeting costs $75 per gallon, I’d say we’ve done a pretty good job staying below general inflation over the past 10 years.
SO…don’t look at registration as a $3,000 price tag. Look at it as a $439 price tag, obviously before travel, lodging and some additional meals. It’s not an overall cheap investment, but it is certainly not overpriced as suggested. We usually get 95% of attendees rating the experience very positively (4 or 5 out of 5).
State conferences are great too. I love state conferences! I think all innkeepers should also go to state conferences. It seems I’m attending one every other week all year long. But we’re talking apples and oranges. A day and a half of learning and networking with usually no more than 2 or 3 breakouts and (on average) 10 vendors on a show floor is a different experience than dozens of classes over 3-4 days with up to 80 vendors on the show floor, with nationally or internationally renowned keynote and other speakers – and the ability to network outside your back yard in person…it’s a different value proposition. Some may get all the networking they care for at a state meeting; but others enjoy learning from peers all over the continent. We know the value of the smaller meetings – we’re putting one on in New England this November that will be a day and a half and at a lower price (I think $169 or $189).
Most B&Bs are more expensive than the run-of-the-mill hotels, but I’d bet most innkeepers would say they don’t overprice their rooms. Do any of you? You do your best to deliver a valuable experience at the right price…for some it is out of their budget, but others make room for the investment, because they know it comes back to them ten-fold. We don’t expect the entire industry to be able to support the annual event. Even if the price was 25% of what it is now, we wouldn’t likely see 4 times the attendance. We know travel costs and the difficulty of leaving your inn are road blocks. But those who can once in a while (or annually) get away and attend the show leave pretty darn happy they came.

It's not for everyone every year, but every innkeeper should at some time go. But I'm biased, right?

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:

Thursday Awards Lunch

Riki
If you're a PAII member, the full conference registration is $439 for the first person and $399 for the second. That includes access to more innkeeping classes than anything in the market. Registration includes the opening reception, three lunches, coffee breaks, and another evening reception on the trade show floor. It runs Monday night through Thursday early afternoon.
The only add-ons for the typical innkeeper *might* be if you want to attend an all-day intensive workshop that is focused on a singular topic. Right now we have one scheduled on that is $199 for members, and will be WELL worth the investment (the $999 is a mistake...I just alerted my staff to change it). Tim Brady is AMAZING and is one of the brightest innkeepers in our entire industry. He’ll be presenting on marketing your inn with new media and new technology. He was the hit of the Atlanta event.
If you’re a Select Registry property, there is a $150 add-on that covers functions for SR members. This is in lieu of SR having their own separate conference in 2010. Many innkeepers came to both our show and SR’s, so this will save them a lot of money. The vendors also greatly appreciate having only one show to go to.
I think just about all the other items pasted above are ala carte items - if you don’t want to opt for the full registration, i.e. trade show only badge, one-day registration badges, lunches, etc.
The lowest fee for the full conference in Hilton Head was $349 back in 2000 (it was $469 after the early bird deadline). Over ten years, the price increase to $439 looks like it was on average about a 2% increase each year. When coffee hotels that can hold our meeting costs $75 per gallon, I’d say we’ve done a pretty good job staying below general inflation over the past 10 years.
SO…don’t look at registration as a $3,000 price tag. Look at it as a $439 price tag, obviously before travel, lodging and some additional meals. It’s not an overall cheap investment, but it is certainly not overpriced as suggested. We usually get 95% of attendees rating the experience very positively (4 or 5 out of 5).
State conferences are great too. I love state conferences! I think all innkeepers should also go to state conferences. It seems I’m attending one every other week all year long. But we’re talking apples and oranges. A day and a half of learning and networking with usually no more than 2 or 3 breakouts and (on average) 10 vendors on a show floor is a different experience than dozens of classes over 3-4 days with up to 80 vendors on the show floor, with nationally or internationally renowned keynote and other speakers – and the ability to network outside your back yard in person…it’s a different value proposition. Some may get all the networking they care for at a state meeting; but others enjoy learning from peers all over the continent. We know the value of the smaller meetings – we’re putting one on in New England this November that will be a day and a half and at a lower price (I think $169 or $189).
Most B&Bs are more expensive than the run-of-the-mill hotels, but I’d bet most innkeepers would say they don’t overprice their rooms. Do any of you? You do your best to deliver a valuable experience at the right price…for some it is out of their budget, but others make room for the investment, because they know it comes back to them ten-fold. We don’t expect the entire industry to be able to support the annual event. Even if the price was 25% of what it is now, we wouldn’t likely see 4 times the attendance. We know travel costs and the difficulty of leaving your inn are road blocks. But those who can once in a while (or annually) get away and attend the show leave pretty darn happy they came.

It's not for everyone every year, but every innkeeper should at some time go. But I'm biased, right?
So Jay, what do the dues pay for? They seem awfully high if we're expected to pay for everything else in addition to them.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:

Thursday Awards Lunch

Riki

Question here....Didn't Select Registry buy PAII???

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:

Thursday Awards Lunch

Riki
If you're a PAII member, the cost is $439 for the main conference/seminars. Those other things you listed are add ons which are nice if you want to go to them, but certainly not necessary and not the main focus of the conference. The conference fee includes all the regular workshops and keynote speakers. We never add on any of the additional offerings.
I know it sounds like a lot of money, and believe me, I'm not here representing PAII or anyone else, I'm only telling you my experience after attending 3 conferences in the past 6 years.
Every time I go to the conference I come home with my head swimming with information. Inevitably, there are a few gems I can incorporate easily into our business which definitely increases the revenue. I can tell you that we have seen returns on our investment (the conference) a thousand fold.
If you are an innkeeper that is looking to increase your business, and make a more successful B&B but not quite sure how, then the investment of eduation is worth it. If you just can't afford to go, then you might consider getting the DVD of the workshops that they sell after the conference.
I really don't think I would have been able to increase our business as much as I have the past several years without attending these conferences.
In the past I have seen posts where an inn mate states they don't see how their PAII membership helps them...For me, PAII is about education. Now's the time to use your membership and take advantage of the reduced PAII membership rate.
Breakfast Diva said:
If you're a PAII member, the cost is $439 for the main conference/seminars.
I don't know how long you've been a PAII member, but I've been watching them for years. Now with Jay there, I think they may finally be on the side of the innkeeper instead of trying to make money, so I do plan to join for the first time since I was an aspiring member
But I don't know if you were a member back when many of us decided not to rejoin - when PAII closed down the forum while going on vacation despite the B&Bs wanting to continue to chat. That's what created CAIK.
I don't know if you were around when they were promoting NPC or whatever the name of that credit card processor is, and when innkeepers contacted them about unfair charges saying machines were not returned when they were, or poor service regarding chargebacks were told "Gee, nobody else has compained" at a time when we knew we were all calling them with the same complaints. That's when we started wondering why they kept promoting them since we were all having so many problems with them that they were dubbed something like "Never Protecting Chargebacks"
If I'm an innkeeper that wants to increase my business? Is that a trick question? Of course I want to. But I imagine you have more than 2 rooms to speak as if it's so easy to go. It may be $435 but I bet the hotel alone puts that up to $1000. And an innsitter will be $100 per day minimum. And flying from Virginia to Texas is, I'm sure, more than $200 per person. Now I'm already up to $1500 or more. And if I go of course I'll want to do the additional seminars, since the basic ones are probably similar to those at the state level. How to do a website, how to do a wedding etc. We all know the best place for a beginner is to go to PAII's basic seminars.
Like Guillum House says, if I don't have the money, how do you presume that I should go ?? Charge charge charge on my credit card? We have not charged anything for over two years and cannot strart now or I can't build my other wing which will finally release me from working two jobs. So yes, I do want to increase my business and yes it is an investment. But please note not all of us can afford to do so.
Maybe if the conferences are charging $75 for a pot of coffee it's time for conferences to go somewhere else. I would be interested in researching alternate meeting spots. In this economy there must be other sources than the highly traveled locations that can charge up the wazoo no matter what. I wonder what the UVA Conference Center here charges....
RIki

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
So Jay, what do the dues pay for? They seem awfully high if we're expected to pay for everything else in addition to them
Having been on the Board of an Association for many years, I can attest to the expenses being more than anyone thinks - and that is with a volunteer Board. Compared to Association dues (and ours are VERY inexpensive), PAII is not outrageous considering they have paid staff and, in my not very humble opinion, are now DOING something. Taking on the gorilla TA says something. Planning Conferences is not an easy task. Getting quality presenters is not cheap. I do think PAII is trying to promote the quality of innkeepers through education. The webinars is a way for us to get the training without having to travel or take more time out of the day than necessary to take the webinar. I would have taken them if I had not had prior obligations with my City. Ill-informed and uneducated innkeepers do not help the profession.
I am not saying the PAII Conference fees are out of line - just that it is more than this small B & B in Podunk can afford.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:

Thursday Awards Lunch

Riki

So Jay, what do the dues pay for? They seem awfully high if we're expected to pay for everything else in addition to them.
Go here and read it all for yourself:)
Website Link - Get a free listing and profile in PAII's directory of member properties, which has a profile of your inn and links back to your homepage. This is not only viewable by other PAII members but, more importantly, by consumers to attract potential business to your inn.
However this one concerns me. It was bad in the old site, but in the new site...I don't like at all.
When you do a InnSearch..you have to put in the inn name...what if I don't know it..then you select can select a city and a state. So I select a state..then it comes up with all the inns in the state by the owner's name, then I have to view the owner's profile and then and only then do I see get the link to the inn. THIS IS BAD!!! ANd how will this help inns???? Am I missing something on this new site...isn't there somewhere inns are just listed by state and inn name??
And the vendor search is even worse... it assumes someone knows what they are looking for? And, under inns for sale..they are all just listed...not by state but just I guess in alphabetical order... ugh.... I do not find your new site to be user friendly.
Ok...I guess I will be the first one to say this out loud....Sorry Jay, but I do not think much of the way the new site works or looks ;-(

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:

Thursday Awards Lunch

Riki

Website Link - Get a free listing and profile in PAII's directory of member properties, which has a profile of your inn and links back to your homepage. This is not only viewable by other PAII members but, more importantly, by consumers to attract potential business to your inn.
However this one concerns me. It was bad in the old site, but in the new site...I don't like at all.
When you do a InnSearch..you have to put in the inn name...what if I don't know it..then you select can select a city and a state. So I select a state..then it comes up with all the inns in the state by the owner's name, then I have to view the owner's profile and then and only then do I see get the link to the inn. THIS IS BAD!!! ANd how will this help inns???? Am I missing something on this new site...isn't there somewhere inns are just listed by state and inn name??
And the vendor search is even worse... it assumes someone knows what they are looking for? And, under inns for sale..they are all just listed...not by state but just I guess in alphabetical order... ugh.... I do not find your new site to be user friendly.
Ok...I guess I will be the first one to say this out loud....Sorry Jay, but I do not think much of the way the new site works or looks ;-(
catlady said:
However this one concerns me. It was bad in the old site, but in the new site...I don't like at al When you do a InnSearch..you have to put in the inn name...what if I don't know it..then you select can select a city and a state. So I select a state..then it comes up with all the inns in the state by the owner's name, then I have to view the owner's profile and then and only then do I see get the link to the inn. THIS IS BAD!!! ANd how will this help inns???? Am I missing something on this new site...isn't there somewhere inns are just listed by state and inn name??
I just went and looked and maybe it's how the innkeeper fills it out? I see the name of the owner and the inn for Charlottesville, but am I correct in seeing that only one inn in Charlottesville is a member? I thought more of them were...?
RIki

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:

Thursday Awards Lunch

Riki

catlady said:
However this one concerns me. It was bad in the old site, but in the new site...I don't like at al When you do a InnSearch..you have to put in the inn name...what if I don't know it..then you select can select a city and a state. So I select a state..then it comes up with all the inns in the state by the owner's name, then I have to view the owner's profile and then and only then do I see get the link to the inn. THIS IS BAD!!! ANd how will this help inns???? Am I missing something on this new site...isn't there somewhere inns are just listed by state and inn name??
I just went and looked and maybe it's how the innkeeper fills it out? I see the name of the owner and the inn for Charlottesville, but am I correct in seeing that only one inn in Charlottesville is a member? I thought more of them were...?
RIki
No the search states persons first...not inn name first. THere are 74 inns listed....oops it pulled in some from WV as well..hmmm that shouldn't have happened when I only chose VA...another glitch I guess.... I don't know how many are in C'ville

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
It comes down to taking a vacation away from the business with our four here, or going solo to the PAII conference. So I must choose vacation away from the business with my family in all fairness.
If you can afford to go, if you can afford to deduct it as a business/training expense please go! There is no better bang for you buck than a PAII conference.
Every year we discuss the conferences, every year the majority on this forum say they cannot afford it. I would love to go and meet some from the forum there. One day...

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
It comes down to taking a vacation away from the business with our four here, or going solo to the PAII conference. So I must choose vacation away from the business with my family in all fairness.
If you can afford to go, if you can afford to deduct it as a business/training expense please go! There is no better bang for you buck than a PAII conference.
Every year we discuss the conferences, every year the majority on this forum say they cannot afford it. I would love to go and meet some from the forum there. One day...
Hey Swirt you might want to move all of these into a PAII conference thread as we have taken over this resource thread? SORRY.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Hey Swirt you might want to move all of these into a PAII conference thread as we have taken over this resource thread? SORRY.
Joe Bloggs said:
You are right, I was thinking the same thing as my scroll finger was starting to cramp up while reading this one ;)
I need to figure a better way to have the resources stand out as something completely different from a forum thread as we do tend to chat them up a bit and wander off topic.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Joe Bloggs said:
You are right, I was thinking the same thing as my scroll finger was starting to cramp up while reading this one ;)
I need to figure a better way to have the resources stand out as something completely different from a forum thread as we do tend to chat them up a bit and wander off topic.
Move this thread to a forum topic and copy the top back into it's own resource. Then direct all comments ABOUT PAII to the forum topic and away from the resource. Maybe.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
I'm going to answer a few of the questions posed to me by my last post here, because the boxes have gotten so small I can't read them easily.
I have been a PAII member for as long as I've been an innkeeper which is almost 9 years. I have seen PAII struggle in the past, participated in the forums, have attended 3 conferences, represented my state at 2 of them. I've also seen over those years how the inns represented at the conference have changed. When I first went to a PAII conference, I felt like I was out of place. I have a 4 room B&B, no staff and we were struggling. I looked around and most everyone I saw seemed to be at least a generation older than me, had large inns, lots of staff, restaurants, etc. Over the years, I have seen the age of the innkeepers attending getting younger and younger (yeah, I know, I'm getting older and older too!), and MANY more of us small inns represented. I've also seen that innkeeping is being treated now as a profession and not just a retirement/second job. When I met and interacted with Jay during my add-on 1 day state association leaders meeting in Anaheim, I knew PAII had made a great decision in hiring him and there was definitely some new blood flowing. PAII is changing, and in my opinion, in the right direction. In the past years I still stayed a PAII member when things weren't going so well because I feel that PAII is and was the best advocate for our industry out there.
There are so many workshops, you can't possible attend them all or want to. I choose all the marketing/website workshops I can get to. My husband attends non marketing workshops and that we we get a very good cross the board experience. I have also attended all of our state conferences and we have a very active state association which have put on very informative conferences, but there is no way you get the same experience or get access to the information you will get at a PAII conference.
Some of the statements in the previous posts here lead me to believe that you think I don't understand where you're coming from...small inn, no pension, etc. It's just the opposite. I'm in that same boat. I have a small inn, no outside job for us, no pension, no social security, we're in the "middle of nowhere". Again, I'm speaking just from my personal experience, but the information I learned at the conferences has helped me take this little B&B from struggling, to an occupancy and revenue that I didn't think possible. We are doing better than any other B&B that I know of around here. What is it that has made a difference? I believe it's having access to all that knowledge and following through with it.
PAII and conferences are not for everybody, but if you're someone who really would like to go and can't afford it, scrimp and save somewhere else because what you learn there will no doubt increase your business and put that money right back into the bank and more. If you can't go this year, save up for the next one.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Joe Bloggs said:
swirt said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Can you lock them off so there is no chit chat buttons available? We can always start a new thread on the topic.

Latest posts

Back