Do you sell rooms on Hotels.com, Expedia etc etc?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I signed up for it and plan to utilize it in our off season. The percentage is high, but I'm going to try it anyway. For us it works out to be more than what we're getting with state rates and I'm hoping it helps build up our occupancy in the off season.
You can control how many rooms you want on there and when..
You can also get a lower percentage taken if you don't hold back your inventory. Until I merged my webervations and bb.com inventory management, I had a two night minimum stay for the bb.com reservations, all the time and three nights during the summer. This way I got the exposure and traffic to our website without having to pay the big percentage.
I see bb.com is having free webinars in beginning and advanced online reservations, and I am going to try to attend a couple, just to see what I might be missing and how I could better use the program to promote the Inn.
There is, in fact one today at 1pm....wonder if I have time to get it on that.
https://secure.bedandbreakfast.com/WebinarRegistration.aspx
I'm wondering if this would work for us in our off-season. We usually discount our rates by about 20% in the off-season. I guess I would still need to post them at the discounted rate, and then let bb.com take their 20% in addition to that?
InnsiderInfo said:
I'm wondering if this would work for us in our off-season. We usually discount our rates by about 20% in the off-season. I guess I would still need to post them at the discounted rate, and then let bb.com take their 20% in addition to that?
Yes, this is how it works. We do not request to sell a rate to a consumer that is lower than what you are offering over the phone or on your website, however, we do require that we are able to display the same final rate. We'd look pretty foolish to consumers if we always had rack only rates, and the property websites had lower rates.
So yes - we do require that if you discount a rate to sell on your own, you make that available in our system. That does not apply to AAA rates or any "private rate" that you may have (corporate, etc.) We clearly cannot keep tabs on every single property in the system, but we do a fair amount of rate checking to make sure this is happening. We also make this very clear in our contracts and in our communication and we expect that innkeepers deal with us in an honest way. Whether you think the commission is worth it or not is ultimately up to each property, but for those that do participate we expect them to honor the agreement.
The rates shown on bb.com's ORP should be the same rates as are shown on your website AS rack. If you lower your rates 20% in the off season, then I assume the reduced rate shows as rack rather than being something that you quote for inquiries OFF the rack rate. The rack rates shown on my website are the same as what is shown on bb.com for inquiries through that system.

I signed up for it and plan to utilize it in our off season. The percentage is high, but I'm going to try it anyway. For us it works out to be more than what we're getting with state rates and I'm hoping it helps build up our occupancy in the off season.
You can also get a lower percentage taken if you don't hold back your inventory. Until I merged my webervations and bb.com inventory management, I had a two night minimum stay for the bb.com reservations, all the time and three nights during the summer. This way I got the exposure and traffic to our website without having to pay the big percentage.
I see bb.com is having free webinars in beginning and advanced online reservations, and I am going to try to attend a couple, just to see what I might be missing and how I could better use the program to promote the Inn.
InnsiderInfo said:
Yes, this is how it works. We do not request to sell a rate to a consumer that is lower than what you are offering over the phone or on your website, however, we do require that we are able to display the same final rate. We'd look pretty foolish to consumers if we always had rack only rates, and the property websites had lower rates.
So yes - we do require that if you discount a rate to sell on your own, you make that available in our system. That does not apply to AAA rates or any "private rate" that you may have (corporate, etc.) We clearly cannot keep tabs on every single property in the system, but we do a fair amount of rate checking to make sure this is happening. We also make this very clear in our contracts and in our communication and we expect that innkeepers deal with us in an honest way. Whether you think the commission is worth it or not is ultimately up to each property, but for those that do participate we expect them to honor the agreement.
The rates shown on bb.com's ORP should be the same rates as are shown on your website AS rack. If you lower your rates 20% in the off season, then I assume the reduced rate shows as rack rather than being something that you quote for inquiries OFF the rack rate. The rack rates shown on my website are the same as what is shown on bb.com for inquiries through that system.
Little Blue said:
That makes sense, however if you are quoting something as "off rack" or whatever terminology each innkeeper uses, or displaying something as off rack, then we expect to be able to sell at that price to the consumer as well. If you make a rate available to the public, we just require to be able to make that same rate available to them. We don't push for discounts, we don't ask for special treatment, but we do ask for rate parity. The term "rack rate" doesn't really mean that much when it comes to making sure we have the same rates as all kinds of terms are used out there.

InnsiderInfo said:
"So yes - we do require that if you discount a rate to sell on your own, you make that available in our system. That does not apply to AAA rates or any "private rate" that you may have (corporate, etc.) We clearly cannot keep tabs on every single property in the system, but we do a fair amount of rate checking to make sure this is happening. We also make this very clear in our contracts and in our communication and we expect that innkeepers deal with us in an honest way. Whether you think the commission is worth it or not is ultimately up to each property, but for those that do participate we expect them to honor the agreement."
John, this is being abused all over the place. I actually called your offices last winter because of a B&B in my region. I have chosen not to participate in the gift card program and I removed myself from the reservation program because I keep my end of the contract and the commissions were too steep for me.. I always listed on the reservation the accurate rate, even if there were a discount. Many other inns do not, and there are many overt, blatent abuses, especially in the off season.
After your offices contacted the abuser, their website was changed, but now for their very deep discounted specials, they state the reservation must be made only on their webervations online system and that no gift cards/gift certificates can be used. I can only assume that this was the compromise that was acceptable to bb.com as I would hope your staff did follow-up. It certainly isn't fair to guests who see "lowest rate guarantee". On bb.com if they click the "book" button, there is one rate, yet if they click the webervations link, there is a different amount.
We have a thread going right now about honesty...this is an example of innkeepers not being honest, to make a buck.

InnsiderInfo said:
This makes perfect sense on both ends. Unfortunately I still would not be able to afford the additional commission that bb.com would take on top of my already discounted rate.
How would the scenario that Breakfast Diva is describing work? Are participating inns still allowed to post rates on their own website that are applicable to guests booking directly through the Inn's website? That doesn't seem like a scenario that bb.com would like.

InnsiderInfo said:
Little Blue said:
That makes sense, however if you are quoting something as "off rack" or whatever terminology each innkeeper uses, or displaying something as off rack, then we expect to be able to sell at that price to the consumer as well. If you make a rate available to the public, we just require to be able to make that same rate available to them. We don't push for discounts, we don't ask for special treatment, but we do ask for rate parity. The term "rack rate" doesn't really mean that much when it comes to making sure we have the same rates as all kinds of terms are used out there.
John
The only discounts we take here are for longer stays....they are set up through webervations. I offer nothing else online, and nothing over the phone. Right now, it's a discount for a stay of three or more nights. Since all of my rates and availability are pulled to your system from webervations, shouldn't those discounted rates pull from webervations to your system too?? I guess I assumed that they did, but when I check my availability through your system, the discount does not show.
When i login to the ORP, I see no way to set up a discount for only a stay of three or more nights. Certainly I could give reservations made through the ORP the discount afterward...but they've already paid in full. So, what should we be doing in this instance to be compliant?

InnsiderInfo said:
Little Blue said:
Ah, if only it worked like that. We see other properties doing this with impunity. So we were paying a commission and they were not. We're not gonna cheat you, so better to stay away than lower the denominator.

what commission does bandb.com charge? please explain ~ sorry i am out of the loop ~ is bandb.com acting as agent, guests book through that website, and bandb.com takes their percentage? what is the advantage to the guest booking this way? is there a guarantee of some kind given by bandb.com, do they imply endorsement of the b&b's? or it's just a booking agent? thank you.

what commission does bandb.com charge? please explain ~ sorry i am out of the loop ~ is bandb.com acting as agent, guests book through that website, and bandb.com takes their percentage? what is the advantage to the guest booking this way? is there a guarantee of some kind given by bandb.com, do they imply endorsement of the b&b's? or it's just a booking agent? thank you..
Seashanty
Check out the specifics of the program here: http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/Innkeepers/OnlineReservations.aspx

thank you.
as i understand it, it is as it was when i looked into it. and 25 to 30% commission is just way too high. how much lower percentage by not holding back inventory i didn't find.
and as a place that had seasonal rates that are really as low as i wanted to go ... but i had them to PULL people in during the shoulder seasons ... i could not be paying a commission on top of that.
each place has to figure out if it is beneficial for their own situation.

Definitely disappointing that some innkeepers are not being forthright with us. In my experience, 99% of our members are fantastic folks, but clearly some try to cheat the system. We try to police it, but there is only so much we can do. When we do find out, we watch like a hawk. I can assure you that we do not agree to let folks get around this.
I can tell you we've had some interesting stories. We've had innkeepers swear their rates are set right - only to look and see they changed them in the system 10 minutes after we sent them an email - then change them back a few days later... there are quite a few more that I won't go into.
In any case - I appreciate you guys pointing this out to me. I hate to think we need to spend time looking at everyone's rates - I'd like to think that we can trust everyone, but clearly not the case.

Today is the perfect case-in-point of the bb.com ORP program. Got a two night $250 reservation through our website, guest chose "hotels.com" for the "how did you hear about us" field. Then, not ten minutes later, got a phone call from a gal looking at us on expedia that had questions and googled us for our phone number. Made that reservation on the phone. $500 in reservations, no commissions paid.
Happens all the time.

Today is the perfect case-in-point of the bb.com ORP program. Got a two night $250 reservation through our website, guest chose "hotels.com" for the "how did you hear about us" field. Then, not ten minutes later, got a phone call from a gal looking at us on expedia that had questions and googled us for our phone number. Made that reservation on the phone. $500 in reservations, no commissions paid.
Happens all the time..
I really want to see it this way, but how in the world can you predict that they won't book thru the site? The commissions would absolutely kill us.

Happens all the time..
I really want to see it this way, but how in the world can you predict that they won't book thru the site? The commissions would absolutely kill us.
I can predict it because I'm living it. Effective commissions based on total revenues derived from being seen on expedia, hotels.com and travelocity are probably just a little less than I pay for credit card processing, when I consider the huge amount of revenue versus the few reservations that I actually have to pay commission on.
I will admit....If paying 20% or more of a single reservation every now and then gets in the way of seeing the big picture, then it's probably not for you.

Happens all the time..
I can predict it because I'm living it. Effective commissions based on total revenues derived from being seen on expedia, hotels.com and travelocity are probably just a little less than I pay for credit card processing, when I consider the huge amount of revenue versus the few reservations that I actually have to pay commission on.
I will admit....If paying 20% or more of a single reservation every now and then gets in the way of seeing the big picture, then it's probably not for you.
It SOUNDS really good, but I can't make it work in my head. Are you able to block out certain periods? I just couldn't afford to pay 30% commission on dates when I would be full anyway. If I can limit it to certain time periods (off season) then it might work out for us.
I'm also guessing it has to do with location...we are in a major tourist area without many big hotels, so I don't know if folks would be using Expedia, etc. to book in this area in the first place.

Happens all the time..
It SOUNDS really good, but I can't make it work in my head. Are you able to block out certain periods? I just couldn't afford to pay 30% commission on dates when I would be full anyway. If I can limit it to certain time periods (off season) then it might work out for us.
I'm also guessing it has to do with location...we are in a major tourist area without many big hotels, so I don't know if folks would be using Expedia, etc. to book in this area in the first place.
InnsiderInfo said:
Only use it for off season, you can dictate when and if you want to only list one room you can do that. Problem could be if you have only one room listed then it shows NO AVAIL on all the others, so would a guest go to your website and look directly? That is something I would be worried about.
I think in a tourist area is a huge plus for that prgrm, the more lodgings the more chances they will look at that program to find you. I think for you it would be better than for say me, but then you already have a great occupancy rate, so why hand over the reigns, so to speak. I don't like having anything else or anyone else in my stuff, that is my problem. Also some of them allow same day bookings, that can't work with my schedule.

Don't they also dictate your cancellation periods?.
No, you enter your cancellation period when you set up with the OPR...they allow up to 30 days out. AND, since bb.com is hooked into webervations, (and I don't allow same day booking through webervations), I don't think same-day bookings are allowed to happen, although I could be wrong. I would test it, but I'm full tonight, so it just shows no availability.
Anyone that has questions about the program and my opinions on it are welcome to email me outside the forum so everyone else doesn't get sick of my incessant cheerleading.

Don't they also dictate your cancellation periods?.
No, you enter your cancellation period when you set up with the OPR...they allow up to 30 days out. AND, since bb.com is hooked into webervations, (and I don't allow same day booking through webervations), I don't think same-day bookings are allowed to happen, although I could be wrong. I would test it, but I'm full tonight, so it just shows no availability.
Anyone that has questions about the program and my opinions on it are welcome to email me outside the forum so everyone else doesn't get sick of my incessant cheerleading.
No, this is why I like your commentary...you are not cheerleading, you are simply stating what your personal experience has been. I like how you run your operation, and if you are making this program successful then it is definitely something I want to at least consider. So thanks for your input
teeth_smile.gif

I am considering signing up for Expedia through Bedandbreakfast.com and wonder if I can stipulate certain rooms and certain days. For example, can I offer 3 rooms to Expedia for a 1 night stay on a Friday only?

I am considering signing up for Expedia through Bedandbreakfast.com and wonder if I can stipulate certain rooms and certain days. For example, can I offer 3 rooms to Expedia for a 1 night stay on a Friday only?.
The Farmers Daughter said:
I am considering signing up for Expedia through Bedandbreakfast.com and wonder if I can stipulate certain rooms and certain days. For example, can I offer 3 rooms to Expedia for a 1 night stay on a Friday only?
Sure you can! If you want to keep your room availability through bb.com/expedia different from your normal webervations/website availability, just keep the two accounts seperate rather than merging them. I merged the two, so now I don't have to go into both to make availability changes. Available rooms, rates, etc. are all managed from my webervations account.

Back