Do you sell rooms on Hotels.com, Expedia etc etc?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am considering signing up for Expedia through Bedandbreakfast.com and wonder if I can stipulate certain rooms and certain days. For example, can I offer 3 rooms to Expedia for a 1 night stay on a Friday only?.
The Farmers Daughter said:
I am considering signing up for Expedia through Bedandbreakfast.com and wonder if I can stipulate certain rooms and certain days. For example, can I offer 3 rooms to Expedia for a 1 night stay on a Friday only?
Sure you can! If you want to keep your room availability through bb.com/expedia different from your normal webervations/website availability, just keep the two accounts seperate rather than merging them. I merged the two, so now I don't have to go into both to make availability changes. Available rooms, rates, etc. are all managed from my webervations account.
Little Blue said:
I am considering signing up for Expedia through Bedandbreakfast.com and wonder if I can stipulate certain rooms and certain days. For example, can I offer 3 rooms to Expedia for a 1 night stay on a Friday only?
Sure you can! If you want to keep your room availability through bb.com/expedia different from your normal webervations/website availability, just keep the two accounts seperate rather than merging them. I merged the two, so now I don't have to go into both to make availability changes. Available rooms, rates, etc. are all managed from my webervations account.
Thanks for that LB! I know a lot of other Innkeepers are not so enthusiastic about the Expedia program.
It seems to be working out ok for you? How many rooms do you have?

I am considering signing up for Expedia through Bedandbreakfast.com and wonder if I can stipulate certain rooms and certain days. For example, can I offer 3 rooms to Expedia for a 1 night stay on a Friday only?.
Yes, as Blue mentioned. Do think on this for a while though. I do use this sytem but I use it to book nights that are my slower nights. If Fridays are easy for you to book yourself, without this system, I would not use them for those days as you are only going to loose $ you could be taking in yourself. IMHO

I'd like to know if you can do this if you don't use Webervations. The info on bandb.com just says to call them to talk to them, but who wants a sales pitch?
There are 2 price points- 25% or 30% commission and it appears this depends on your offering a lot of inventory or a little inventory.
The biggest concern I have had with this from the start is that once you're in the program, if you don't want to list rooms for a particular set of blackout dates what shows on Expedia is 'No availability for the dates you have chosen.' So the guest needs to go to your website for those dates. I guess it's ok as most of my guests call anyway.
Wonder how it would show up on bandb.com, tho? I get a lot of biz from my listing there and I certainly don't want to pay a commission on those bookings! So, is the commission only on Expedia, or is it on bandb.com, too?

Little Blue said:
Thanks for that LB! I know a lot of other Innkeepers are not so enthusiastic about the Expedia program.
[Thanks for that LB! I know a lot of other Innkeepers are not so enthusiastic about the Expedia program.
We have just three rooms and I leave my availability with them wide open all the time. In the two years that we've been with the program, we have had a small number of reservations resulting in a commission paid, and the least expensive room booked most often. The small commissions we've paid are MORE than worth the exposure that the program allows. This exposure has resulted in vastly increased webtraffic, room nights and revenue over the last two years. When I get a reservation through the system, I'm always happy, even if it's high season. The guests have been great, without exception.
Our little three room Inn (one of which is a shared bath) does about three times the revenue and occupancy of Inns it's same size in the region, and has more reviews than any other Inn in the county. Need I say more?
As I am limited how much I can talk about our specific numbers from the program in public, anyone wanting more information is welcome to contact me off-forum.

I'd like to know if you can do this if you don't use Webervations. The info on bandb.com just says to call them to talk to them, but who wants a sales pitch?
There are 2 price points- 25% or 30% commission and it appears this depends on your offering a lot of inventory or a little inventory.
The biggest concern I have had with this from the start is that once you're in the program, if you don't want to list rooms for a particular set of blackout dates what shows on Expedia is 'No availability for the dates you have chosen.' So the guest needs to go to your website for those dates. I guess it's ok as most of my guests call anyway.
Wonder how it would show up on bandb.com, tho? I get a lot of biz from my listing there and I certainly don't want to pay a commission on those bookings! So, is the commission only on Expedia, or is it on bandb.com, too?
Morticia, that "book it" button you see on bb.com on certain properties is for netrate. So, yes, it's on bb.com as well. This is daunting but the important truth that Tim Wilson at BB.com indicated to us and turned out to be true is that there isn't much flow there. We get less than a handful of bb.com netrate bookings and it's far outweighed by Expedia and Hotels.com.
Regards,

Bed and Breakfast.com was a great site at one time. Then they got bought out and became an extreme profit driven company at the expense of the B&B's. I used Webervations for years before they were bought out by Bed and Breakfast.com. As soon as that happened I knew it would be the downfall of Webervations. It was. My rates more than doubled and they would never fix the many problems. I switched to Reservationkey.com and could not be happier. Much cheaper with a ton more options.

Bed and Breakfast.com was a great site at one time. Then they got bought out and became an extreme profit driven company at the expense of the B&B's. I used Webervations for years before they were bought out by Bed and Breakfast.com. As soon as that happened I knew it would be the downfall of Webervations. It was. My rates more than doubled and they would never fix the many problems. I switched to Reservationkey.com and could not be happier. Much cheaper with a ton more options..
Bigbid said:
Bed and Breakfast.com was a great site at one time. Then they got bought out and became an extreme profit driven company at the expense of the B&B's. I used Webervations for years before they were bought out by Bed and Breakfast.com. As soon as that happened I knew it would be the downfall of Webervations. It was. My rates more than doubled and they would never fix the many problems. I switched to Reservationkey.com and could not be happier. Much cheaper with a ton more options.
Interesting...where is YOUR Inn? You'll excuse me if I find your post suspicious, seeing as you just joined the forum today and are already endorsing something most of us just heard of in the last few days. Ain't it funny how that always happens??

Bed and Breakfast.com was a great site at one time. Then they got bought out and became an extreme profit driven company at the expense of the B&B's. I used Webervations for years before they were bought out by Bed and Breakfast.com. As soon as that happened I knew it would be the downfall of Webervations. It was. My rates more than doubled and they would never fix the many problems. I switched to Reservationkey.com and could not be happier. Much cheaper with a ton more options..
Bigbid said:
Interesting...where is YOUR Inn? You'll excuse me if I find your post suspicious, seeing as you just joined the forum today and are already endorsing something most of us just heard of in the last few days. Ain't it funny how that always happens??
Little Blue said:
My sentiments exactly.

Hello, We own 3 inns with a total of 28 rooms. I did hotels.com and expedia for one year a few years back and it cost too much. I just found this site today and signed up to reply. I do not know if it is allowed to post my inn on here or not. If it is, post yours and I will gladly give you the link to all of mine and talk with you. You said most of you had never heard of reservationkey until a few days ago. I do not even know what event that would have been that made you hear of them. I mainly started using them because we do many scrapbook / quilting retreats and quests can reserve individual beds in the same room on their system.

Hello, We own 3 inns with a total of 28 rooms. I did hotels.com and expedia for one year a few years back and it cost too much. I just found this site today and signed up to reply. I do not know if it is allowed to post my inn on here or not. If it is, post yours and I will gladly give you the link to all of mine and talk with you. You said most of you had never heard of reservationkey until a few days ago. I do not even know what event that would have been that made you hear of them. I mainly started using them because we do many scrapbook / quilting retreats and quests can reserve individual beds in the same room on their system..
Bigbid said:
I do not know if it is allowed to post my inn on here or not. If it is, post yours and I will gladly give you the link to all of mine and talk with you.
My Inn is posted on the Featured Inns page, and certainly you could do the same...but a simple introduction telling us at least a little bit about your Inn where in the country you are is more than sufficient. We get riled up by people pretending to be innkeepers in order to push some product they think we can be tricked into trying or buying. And, since we first heard of the product in question on this site, made me wonder.

Hello, We own 3 inns with a total of 28 rooms. I did hotels.com and expedia for one year a few years back and it cost too much. I just found this site today and signed up to reply. I do not know if it is allowed to post my inn on here or not. If it is, post yours and I will gladly give you the link to all of mine and talk with you. You said most of you had never heard of reservationkey until a few days ago. I do not even know what event that would have been that made you hear of them. I mainly started using them because we do many scrapbook / quilting retreats and quests can reserve individual beds in the same room on their system..
Bigbid said:
Hello, We own 3 inns with a total of 28 rooms. I did hotels.com and expedia for one year a few years back and it cost too much. I just found this site today and signed up to reply. I do not know if it is allowed to post my inn on here or not. If it is, post yours and I will gladly give you the link to all of mine and talk with you. You said most of you had never heard of reservationkey until a few days ago. I do not even know what event that would have been that made you hear of them. I mainly started using them because we do many scrapbook / quilting retreats and quests can reserve individual beds in the same room on their system.
I have signed up with RezKey recently and I did see your website as one who used them. I am a long time forum member and wanted other innkeepers to know there is this fantastic system out there and that they are not stuck with whatever they have, if they are dissatisfied with it. I was, and am now so glad I made the transition over. I didn't want an all encompassing system and lose control of my cc machine etc here.
I am completely happy - one feature I really love is the correspondence. If anyone has gmail they will know how nice it is in gmail where it files all emails and replies from the same person together, wherein outlook you have to search via date etc, none of them are together. RezKey does this, it saves a copy of all correspondence in a file on the actual rez. So I can see anything I have sent to the guest.
I am here to tell innkeepers there is another online booking system that works well. There was a small glitch in a discount code I added and they got hot on it and emailed they were on it and fixed it. Looking at the background of the developers was spot on as well. So far so good. Ease of use and functions are impressive.
I am not a vendor, I am a user, and wanted to share good news with the forum. No one was concerned that I lost all cc data, just another day to everyone. To me it was huge and the turning point for change.

Bigbid said:
I do not know if it is allowed to post my inn on here or not. If it is, post yours and I will gladly give you the link to all of mine and talk with you.
My Inn is posted on the Featured Inns page, and certainly you could do the same...but a simple introduction telling us at least a little bit about your Inn where in the country you are is more than sufficient. We get riled up by people pretending to be innkeepers in order to push some product they think we can be tricked into trying or buying. And, since we first heard of the product in question on this site, made me wonder.
Little Blue said:
Bigbid said:
LB you know me, you know my inn. I wanted to share something GOOD with the forum. If you are interested in this prgm, then go to the url and check it out for yourself, I can only recommend this online reservation/guest mgmt system. If not interested at all, then why question it?

Bigbid said:
Little Blue said:
Bigbid said:
LB you know me, you know my inn. I wanted to share something GOOD with the forum. If you are interested in this prgm, then go to the url and check it out for yourself, I can only recommend this online reservation/guest mgmt system. If not interested at all, then why question it?
Joey Bloggs said:
I wanted to share something GOOD with the forum. If you are interested in this prgm, then go to the url and check it out for yourself, I can only recommend this online reservation/guest mgmt system. If not interested at all, then why question it?
I don't and didn't question the program, did I? I WAS questioning that this forum member of just 33 minutes popped up and started talking about it...within a couple days of the first post about the program...we see that all the time, and it's not always legit. I certainly never meant to offend YOU.

Bigbid said:
Little Blue said:
Bigbid said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I wanted to share something GOOD with the forum. If you are interested in this prgm, then go to the url and check it out for yourself, I can only recommend this online reservation/guest mgmt system. If not interested at all, then why question it?
I don't and didn't question the program, did I? I WAS questioning that this forum member of just 33 minutes popped up and started talking about it...within a couple days of the first post about the program...we see that all the time, and it's not always legit. I certainly never meant to offend YOU.
Little Blue said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Sorry I didn't mean it that way either. Years ago I was on another forum (not about.com but another one) and they made you prove yourself before they would answer any questions. It was also very political and you had to agree with them or be silenced. That was what came to mind, this person was just unsure of the protocol here on this forum. Cheers for replying. Some times the negatory responses overwhelm here...I guess I am used to running around with body armour.
cry_smile.gif

I do know that there are plenty who are trying to spam this forum and Steve is working harder than ever to keep them out and preserve the innkeepers place here.
cheers.gif

Bigbid said:
I have signed up with RezKey recently and I did see your website as one who used them. I am a long time forum member and wanted other innkeepers to know there is this fantastic system out there and that they are not stuck with whatever they have, if they are dissatisfied with it. I was, and am now so glad I made the transition over. I didn't want an all encompassing system and lose control of my cc machine etc here.
I am completely happy - one feature I really love is the correspondence. If anyone has gmail they will know how nice it is in gmail where it files all emails and replies from the same person together, wherein outlook you have to search via date etc, none of them are together. RezKey does this, it saves a copy of all correspondence in a file on the actual rez. So I can see anything I have sent to the guest.
I am here to tell innkeepers there is another online booking system that works well. There was a small glitch in a discount code I added and they got hot on it and emailed they were on it and fixed it. Looking at the background of the developers was spot on as well. So far so good. Ease of use and functions are impressive.
I am not a vendor, I am a user, and wanted to share good news with the forum. No one was concerned that I lost all cc data, just another day to everyone. To me it was huge and the turning point for change.
No one was concerned that I lost all cc data, just another day to everyone.
I wouldn't say that ... I cringed at the thought of it and felt bad that you lost info. Sorry, I just got side-tracked by wanting to know more about the system you chose and forgot my manners.

Hi BigBid, and welcome. It is not that you have to reveal what your inn is or even where it is if you'd rather not. There are plenty of incognito members on this forum.
It is just that too often when the first we hear from someone they are either promoting something or trashing something, little warning bells go off. You are fine here, and are free to reveal as little or as much as you want and at whatever pace you are comfortable with. (others should read that as, yes Bigbid is an innkeeper, you can turn off your warning bells ;) )

Bigbid said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey, I'm really surprised to hear you feel this way. Everyone here was scrambling to see what happened and how we could help and we spent hours figuring out what was wrong with your computer. This is what is frustrating about the software business - somehow the problems you had on your own PC with the old and corrupted Firefox installation that we helped fix, as well as the settings that someone at the property made to auto-delete cards come back as our fault? How can we be expected to be responsible for things like this?

Bigbid said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey, I'm really surprised to hear you feel this way. Everyone here was scrambling to see what happened and how we could help and we spent hours figuring out what was wrong with your computer. This is what is frustrating about the software business - somehow the problems you had on your own PC with the old and corrupted Firefox installation that we helped fix, as well as the settings that someone at the property made to auto-delete cards come back as our fault? How can we be expected to be responsible for things like this?
JBanczak said:
Joey Bloggs said:
John, I was referring to the forum here. Not to ya'll. You did respond quickly and tech support was there. My settings were reset. I was referring to my posting information about a new rez system and it being under scrutiny here on this forum - as someone else came on who is a real innkeeper and the forum members are not trusting due to spammers in the past. Like any thing that is posted here you need to get past the bullet proof glass. We have all been there and know this.
Back to your comments - how can you be responsible is another issue altogether, there should not be an auto delete button, if there is it should not be a simple check box. As mentioned I have been with Webervations for 5 or 6 years and had my settings the same the entire time - credit card required - v code required (until that option was removed). All the information should be available should it be auto-deleted - like in any business it is called backing up the system. I know I know PCI compliance and all that.
As mentioned for whatever reason - there was not a jive with Webervations and my clicking the word SAVE from my browser (firefox). It always had been there, I clicked SAVE all the time. If an innkeeper should choose to change his/her browser settings and the whole system goes awry then there is something wrong.
YES TECH SUPPORT LOOKED INTO IT TO FIX THE PROBLEM. We reset the default setting in Firefox over the phone. Yes,I had run updates to this point, there were no updates required, it was not an old version, it was the settings. I appreciate it being sorted out. I did not appreciate losing all future booking credit card details.

Bigbid said:
Joey Bloggs said:
JBanczak said:
Joey Bloggs said:
John, I was referring to the forum here. Not to ya'll. You did respond quickly and tech support was there. My settings were reset. I was referring to my posting information about a new rez system and it being under scrutiny here on this forum - as someone else came on who is a real innkeeper and the forum members are not trusting due to spammers in the past. Like any thing that is posted here you need to get past the bullet proof glass. We have all been there and know this.
Back to your comments - how can you be responsible is another issue altogether, there should not be an auto delete button, if there is it should not be a simple check box. As mentioned I have been with Webervations for 5 or 6 years and had my settings the same the entire time - credit card required - v code required (until that option was removed). All the information should be available should it be auto-deleted - like in any business it is called backing up the system. I know I know PCI compliance and all that.
As mentioned for whatever reason - there was not a jive with Webervations and my clicking the word SAVE from my browser (firefox). It always had been there, I clicked SAVE all the time. If an innkeeper should choose to change his/her browser settings and the whole system goes awry then there is something wrong.
YES TECH SUPPORT LOOKED INTO IT TO FIX THE PROBLEM. We reset the default setting in Firefox over the phone. Yes,I had run updates to this point, there were no updates required, it was not an old version, it was the settings. I appreciate it being sorted out. I did not appreciate losing all future booking credit card details.
Sorry I read that incorrectly. I think we are between a rock and a hard place though - countless innkeepers have asked for an auto-delete button for credit cards. In this forum this was discussed a long while back and was a feature request that people were complaining other systems didn't have. And no, we can't keep things that an innkeeper tells us to auto-delete. We have the auto-delete feature on cc numbers only so that innkeepers can rest assured that we do in fact delete them.
What if I was able to get your numbers back? Can you imagine how little anyone would trust us that we were not storing credit cards?

Today is the perfect case-in-point of the bb.com ORP program. Got a two night $250 reservation through our website, guest chose "hotels.com" for the "how did you hear about us" field. Then, not ten minutes later, got a phone call from a gal looking at us on expedia that had questions and googled us for our phone number. Made that reservation on the phone. $500 in reservations, no commissions paid.
Happens all the time..
Guests have actually gotten pretty savvy about all of these discounters. They know that whatever rate they're getting through a 3rd party, they can probably get through the inn itself. And probably get a better choice of rooms if not a better rate.

Back