Easter Egg painting

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait here is where you can order them!
http://www.dochinkles.com/
and did we know THIS little fact? NOW WE KNOW...COOL
AUTHENTIC - made in PA Dutch Country, originators of egg-dyeing in the U.S.
The Pennsylvania Dutch brought the tradition of coloring Easter eggs to the United States. Doc Hinkle's continues that age-old fun. Created in 1893 by "Doc Hinkle" in a Lancaster County pharmacy, Doc Hinkle's egg dye is still manufactured in PA Dutch country.
Unlike ordinary dyes that have to be diluted, Doc Hinkle's is used directly from the bottle and results in beautiful, bright colors and patterns instead of dull single-colored eggs. Doc Hinkle's dries quickly and is so easy to use, even a young child can make exciting eggs with lines, squiggles and dots.
Very cool.

Food coloring? Is this what you mean.
food-coloring-400.jpg
Ok, I am obviously older than the rest of you...they were glass bottles and yes, you could stick a q-tip in them. But I am beginning to wonder if maybe they just used to be in glass bottles!!! And the little plastic ones pictured (which I have, of course) are the "new and improved" - like everything else. There was no mixing with anything - just dip your q-tip in and paint on a warm egg - it would dry instantly so you could then paint with another color. My really artistic brothers and sisters used toothpicks for fine details. I may just have to give it a try - there is nothing like it - we were able to make our own designs, paint faces, names, etc. I'll keep you posted and if it works out I'll post pictures!
Suellen I am sure you are not older than me! But I don't remember the q-tip method you're describing. Maybe it was something your mom created for your family. Or maybe it's a regional thing.
Mystery solved - I called my sister - it is a regional thing! Hinkels egg dye - made in Wrightsville, PA!!!! She can still get it in Lancaster county! The eggs do need to be warm so I am not going to be able to do eggs properly this year, but I'm going to get some for myself when I am there in April (right after Easter - should be able to buy it really cheap!) The good news I am not crazy and not necessarily older than all of you! It is a good day!

Here - check this SueE.
PS Sorry it says old fashioned...but hey that is what you said, when you were trying to find them, right?.
Joey - thanks for doing the research - I just posted a comment to Innkeeper to Go as I read hers 1st that she thought it was regional - yes it is! I called my sister cos I thought maybe I was crazy! It is so much fun (messy!) I won't be able to get them in time for this year, but am planning on shopping as soon as I get to Lancaster County on April 7th!!! Hopefully they will be selling them at 1/2 price after Easter!

I lived in Hungary for a while and have since used the Hungarian method of dying eggs.
Save some old tights or stocking. Find some clover or herbs that would make a nice leaf imprint. Carefully place the leaf on the egg, wrap the egg with the leaf in a piece of the stockings. Knot off each end securely. Soak the eggs in tea. Remove the stockings and you'll have a lovely brownish finish to the egg with a delightful leaf imprint. Very easy. Always beautiful..
Innkeeper To Go said:
I lived in Hungary for a while and have since used the Hungarian method of dying eggs.
Save some old tights or stocking. Find some clover or herbs that would make a nice leaf imprint. Carefully place the leaf on the egg, wrap the egg with the leaf in a piece of the stockings. Knot off each end securely. Soak the eggs in tea. Remove the stockings and you'll have a lovely brownish finish to the egg with a delightful leaf imprint. Very easy. Always beautiful.
I had many items for sale here in our gift shop and still a few left that are tea or coffee dyed "Primitive" dolls etc. Muslin soaked in tea or coffee.
It's really amazing how well it works. I also use the tea method for making deviled eggs that look like they're marblized. Just shake the hardboiled eggs around in the stockpot so that they're pretty well cracked all around. Soak in the tea. When you peel them back, they're beautifully marbled.
Innkeeper To Go said:
It's really amazing how well it works. I also use the tea method for making deviled eggs that look like they're marblized. Just shake the hardboiled eggs around in the stockpot so that they're pretty well cracked all around. Soak in the tea. When you peel them back, they're beautifully marbled.
Yes we have done that, I forgot about those. They are marbleized eggs or something
here they are - another fun method! Reminds me of the old pickled eggs, using beet juice.
Yep, have done the beet juice thing, too. One thing they have a lot of in Hungary is beets!
Innkeeper To Go said:
Yep, have done the beet juice thing, too. One thing they have a lot of in Hungary is beets!
*Warning* I am going to totally sidetrack this thread ...way off the charts...
In Australia the typical Oz burger has beetroot on it (also has fried egg, bacon, pineapple etc). McDonald's decided to make the McOz burger and quickly reduced the entire country's beet supply in one week. That was the only tupperware I used to own, it is a specially made container to make homemade beets. You lift the strainer up and pull the beets up out of the brine (vinegar and sugar). I need to get another one of those! When we were done with the beets I would toss the boiled eggs - after knocking them about a bit, into the brine overnight.
Sounds like the old pickle keeper here made by Tupperware? It was rectangular and worked just like that for dill pickles.

Save some old tights or stocking. Find some clover or herbs that would make a nice leaf imprint. Carefully place the leaf on the egg, wrap the egg with the leaf in a piece of the stockings. Knot off each end securely. Soak the eggs in tea. Remove the stockings and you'll have a lovely brownish finish to the egg with a delightful leaf imprint. Very easy. Always beautiful..
Innkeeper To Go said:
Save some old tights or stocking. Find some clover or herbs that would make a nice leaf imprint. Carefully place the leaf on the egg, wrap the egg with the leaf in a piece of the stockings. Knot off each end securely. Soak the eggs in tea. Remove the stockings and you'll have a lovely brownish finish to the egg with a delightful leaf imprint. Very easy. Always beautiful.
I had many items for sale here in our gift shop and still a few left that are tea or coffee dyed "Primitive" dolls etc. Muslin soaked in tea or coffee.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Yes we have done that, I forgot about those. They are marbleized eggs or something
here they are - another fun method! Reminds me of the old pickled eggs, using beet juice.
Innkeeper To Go said:
In Australia the typical Oz burger has beetroot on it (also has fried egg, bacon, pineapple etc). McDonald's decided to make the McOz burger and quickly reduced the entire country's beet supply in one week. That was the only tupperware I used to own, it is a specially made container to make homemade beets. You lift the strainer up and pull the beets up out of the brine (vinegar and sugar). I need to get another one of those! When we were done with the beets I would toss the boiled eggs - after knocking them about a bit, into the brine overnight.
I love pickled beets but I'm not sure about them on a burger, but I'd give it a try. :)

Innkeeper To Go said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
I love pickled beets but I'm not sure about them on a burger, but I'd give it a try. :)
Samster said:
Maybe you shall...maybe you shall.
wink_smile.gif

Innkeeper To Go said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Sounds like the old pickle keeper here made by Tupperware? It was rectangular and worked just like that for dill pickles.
Samster said:
You say toe-may-toe I say toe-mah-toe
Yes similar contraption
http://home.shop.ebay.com.au/Tupperware-/106191/i.html?_nkw=tupperware+beetroot+keeper

Wait here is where you can order them!
http://www.dochinkles.com/
and did we know THIS little fact? NOW WE KNOW...COOL
AUTHENTIC - made in PA Dutch Country, originators of egg-dyeing in the U.S.
The Pennsylvania Dutch brought the tradition of coloring Easter eggs to the United States. Doc Hinkle's continues that age-old fun. Created in 1893 by "Doc Hinkle" in a Lancaster County pharmacy, Doc Hinkle's egg dye is still manufactured in PA Dutch country.
Unlike ordinary dyes that have to be diluted, Doc Hinkle's is used directly from the bottle and results in beautiful, bright colors and patterns instead of dull single-colored eggs. Doc Hinkle's dries quickly and is so easy to use, even a young child can make exciting eggs with lines, squiggles and dots.
Joey! We used that when I was growing up in MD :) Thanks to you and SE for the reminder!

Food coloring? Is this what you mean.
food-coloring-400.jpg
Ok, I am obviously older than the rest of you...they were glass bottles and yes, you could stick a q-tip in them. But I am beginning to wonder if maybe they just used to be in glass bottles!!! And the little plastic ones pictured (which I have, of course) are the "new and improved" - like everything else. There was no mixing with anything - just dip your q-tip in and paint on a warm egg - it would dry instantly so you could then paint with another color. My really artistic brothers and sisters used toothpicks for fine details. I may just have to give it a try - there is nothing like it - we were able to make our own designs, paint faces, names, etc. I'll keep you posted and if it works out I'll post pictures!
Suellen I am sure you are not older than me! But I don't remember the q-tip method you're describing. Maybe it was something your mom created for your family. Or maybe it's a regional thing.
Mystery solved - I called my sister - it is a regional thing! Hinkels egg dye - made in Wrightsville, PA!!!! She can still get it in Lancaster county! The eggs do need to be warm so I am not going to be able to do eggs properly this year, but I'm going to get some for myself when I am there in April (right after Easter - should be able to buy it really cheap!) The good news I am not crazy and not necessarily older than all of you! It is a good day!
Looks like you can order them online here

Back