Emotional Support Animals

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see no reason why a person with a service animal should not have to register the animal and show some kind of proof when they want to fly, stay, cruise, etc with the animal. I don't need to know the reason for the animal ... but why not a real online registry? Not that this would stop determined cheaters. I think I posted here about overhearing a woman in a restaurant tell her family she was NOT going on vacation without the dog. She had purchased a special vest, harness and leash off the internet to show he is a service dog (he isn't). She also bought a laminated ID card to slip in the pocket of his service animal vest.
I posting here about having service dogs at the inn ... two were emotional support. One was enormous and I knew in advance, the other was unannounced, tiny and the man wore him in like an infant snuggie against his chest all the time..
seashanty said:
I see no reason why a person with a service animal should not have to register the animal and show some kind of proof when they want to fly, stay, cruise, etc with the animal. I don't need to know the reason for the animal ... but why not a real online registry? Not that this would stop determined cheaters. I think I posted here about overhearing a woman in a restaurant tell her family she was NOT going on vacation without the dog. She had purchased a special vest, harness and leash off the internet to show he is a service dog (he isn't). She also bought a laminated ID card to slip in the pocket of his service animal vest.
I posting here about having service dogs at the inn ... two were emotional support. One was enormous and I knew in advance, the other was unannounced, tiny and the man wore him in like an infant snuggie against his chest all the time.
I totally agree with you. If we are going to be sued if we don't accept them, they should have to register and prove they are what they say they are. Period. I love animals and understand the need, but resent the lawsuits when they don't have to prove ANYTHING.

I have not, as of now, been asked to take a service pet or have anyone just appear with one (recall this happening in an older thread). In order to be prepared if this does come up, my question is, are we ALL required to take service pets? I am not required to ADA compliant so would I be required to accept a service pet?
Someone please provide a link to the law on this if you know of one. Thanks!.
Copperhead said:
I have not, as of now, been asked to take a service pet or have anyone just appear with one (recall this happening in an older thread). In order to be prepared if this does come up, my question is, are we ALL required to take service pets? I am not required to ADA compliant so would I be required to accept a service pet?
Someone please provide a link to the law on this if you know of one. Thanks!
Anyone who has a business in their home is required to take them period. I've sat through enough B&B classes to know this. B&Bs have in the past been sued for trying to refuse because it was their "home".
Riki
Innkeeper: "CH, this is the Department of Justice link that I had put in a comment earlier. It includes some frequently asked questions as well as a number you can call to get more information from a real person."Thanks Innkeeper! I called this morning as the FAQ did not provide the infomation I needed. The representative I spoke with stated that since I was not required to be ADA compliant due to my size etc. that I am also expempt from laws regarding service animals etc. as they fall under ADA laws. She referred me to www.ada.gov/reg3a.html (Tittle III Regulations) sec. 36.104 Definitions:
Place of public accommodation means a facility, operated by a private entity, whose operations affect commerce and fall within at least one of the following categories --

(1) An inn, hotel, motel, or other place of lodging, except for an establishment located within a building that contains not more than five rooms for rent or hire and that is actually occupied by the proprietor of the establishment as the residence of the proprietor;
_____
Egoodell:
"Anyone who has a business in their home is required to take them period. I've sat through enough B&B classes to know this. B&Bs have in the past been sued for trying to refuse because it was their "home". "
Not according to the ADA. NOW state and local laws CAN be more strict and may place an exception for this so it is best to check your local and state gov. as well. This goes to tell you that not all the information you get in these B&B classes is accurate. Research for yourself.

I posting here about having service dogs at the inn ... two were emotional support. One was enormous and I knew in advance, the other was unannounced, tiny and the man wore him in like an infant snuggie against his chest all the time..
seashanty said:
I posting here about having service dogs at the inn ... two were emotional support. One was enormous and I knew in advance, the other was unannounced, tiny and the man wore him in like an infant snuggie against his chest all the time.
I totally agree with you. If we are going to be sued if we don't accept them, they should have to register and prove they are what they say they are. Period. I love animals and understand the need, but resent the lawsuits when they don't have to prove ANYTHING.
Registration would sure make our lives easier but I don't see it happening.
But here's the thing. No proof is needed for a guest to bring a service animal with them. But to sue, they're going to need some proof.

seashanty said:
But here's the thing. No proof is needed for a guest to bring a service animal with them. But to sue, they're going to need some proof.
But to sue, they're going to need some proof.
No - to WIN they will have to supply proof. They can FILE all they want. Many times (and the scammers know this) the insurance company will settle a small suit for nuisance value - just to get rid of it. Many businesses and individuals will cave and settle just with the threat of a suit because of the legal fees to defend yourself - even if YOU are in the right.

seashanty said:
But to sue, they're going to need some proof.
No - to WIN they will have to supply proof. They can FILE all they want. Many times (and the scammers know this) the insurance company will settle a small suit for nuisance value - just to get rid of it. Many businesses and individuals will cave and settle just with the threat of a suit because of the legal fees to defend yourself - even if YOU are in the right.
Gillum, once again you are right. We need serious tort reform in this country. Until that is done we are all subject to frivolous lawsuits. One law that would stifle these type of lawsuits would be to have it a law that the loosers pay for ALL court costs & attorney fees of both parties.

Copperhead said:
Anyone who has a business in their home is required to take them period. I've sat through enough B&B classes to know this. B&Bs have in the past been sued for trying to refuse because it was their "home".
Riki
Innkeeper: "CH, this is the Department of Justice link that I had put in a comment earlier. It includes some frequently asked questions as well as a number you can call to get more information from a real person."Thanks Innkeeper! I called this morning as the FAQ did not provide the infomation I needed. The representative I spoke with stated that since I was not required to be ADA compliant due to my size etc. that I am also expempt from laws regarding service animals etc. as they fall under ADA laws. She referred me to www.ada.gov/reg3a.html (Tittle III Regulations) sec. 36.104 Definitions:
Place of public accommodation means a facility, operated by a private entity, whose operations affect commerce and fall within at least one of the following categories --

(1) An inn, hotel, motel, or other place of lodging, except for an establishment located within a building that contains not more than five rooms for rent or hire and that is actually occupied by the proprietor of the establishment as the residence of the proprietor;
_____
Egoodell:
"Anyone who has a business in their home is required to take them period. I've sat through enough B&B classes to know this. B&Bs have in the past been sued for trying to refuse because it was their "home". "
Not according to the ADA. NOW state and local laws CAN be more strict and may place an exception for this so it is best to check your local and state gov. as well. This goes to tell you that not all the information you get in these B&B classes is accurate. Research for yourself.
Good discovery Copperhead! I had not seen that 5 room loophole before. And you are smart to point out that State and local laws can make stricter additions so it should be checked out on a region by region basis.
I guess one thing that comes up to my mind is accessibility vs discrimination. Let me use a non-animal example first:
Let's say I have a 3 bedroom B&B that is built in such a way that a wheelchair could be used without a problem (ramps, wide doors...). It could be called accessible even if it was not required to be so. Now lets say with that B&B I put in place a policy of "no wheel chairs allowed". That could be called discriminatory as opposed to inaccessible. This is a semantics battle I would not want to go to court over.
Now lets say I have a B&B and I have no documented death causing allergy to dog dander. If I say "no service dogs allowed" is that any different than my previous example?
For the record, service animals are welcome here without concern (though I do have concerns about people abusing the system and just using a "disability card" to allow them to bring their family pets).

Sorry but as a horse person, I am LMAO!
Here is my question:
How does having an absolutely adorable miniature horse who will undoubtedly draw attention, assist those who suffer with social anxiety?
moz-screenshot-8.png

moz-screenshot-5.png
moz-screenshot-6.png
moz-screenshot-7.png

Copperhead said:
Riki

_____
Egoodell:
Good discovery Copperhead! I had not seen that 5 room loophole before. And you are smart to point out that State and local laws can make stricter additions so it should be checked out on a region by region basis.
I guess one thing that comes up to my mind is accessibility vs discrimination. Let me use a non-animal example first:
Let's say I have a 3 bedroom B&B that is built in such a way that a wheelchair could be used without a problem (ramps, wide doors...). It could be called accessible even if it was not required to be so. Now lets say with that B&B I put in place a policy of "no wheel chairs allowed". That could be called discriminatory as opposed to inaccessible. This is a semantics battle I would not want to go to court over.
Now lets say I have a B&B and I have no documented death causing allergy to dog dander. If I say "no service dogs allowed" is that any different than my previous example?
For the record, service animals are welcome here without concern (though I do have concerns about people abusing the system and just using a "disability card" to allow them to bring their family pets).
We had researched the ADA laws prror to owning our B&B and knew going in about the 5 room or under ADA expemption.
Swit, I can see you now with that large paddle, stiring the pot. Why would anyone would place such bold finger pointing wording in their policies as statements like that WOULD only bring about trouble IMMHO.
The few questions we get about guest physical limitations are usually handled by us stating that all of our guest rooms are up one flight of stairs (also listed on our website). I think that most handicap individuals traveling to B&B's understand the ADA laws and how small B&B's may not be able to accommodate them.
I am now the wiser on how the law affects me regarding service animals.
teeth_smile.gif
Please do not get me wrong I LOVE ANIMALS, I just prefer them being outdoors and our daughter is highly alergic.

Here is my question:
How does having an absolutely adorable miniature horse who will undoubtedly draw attention, assist those who suffer with social anxiety?
moz-screenshot-8.png

moz-screenshot-5.png
moz-screenshot-6.png
moz-screenshot-7.png
The Farmers Daughter said:
Here is my question:
moz-screenshot-8.png

moz-screenshot-5.png
moz-screenshot-6.png
moz-screenshot-7.png
cheers.gif

all i can tell you is the female guest that stayed with me who had her emotional support dog with her spoke to and about the dog very calmly. it was when she tried to interact by herself, for example on the phone, she had a very hard time. one morning, she left the dog at her table and went to the buffet table about 15 feet away to get something. encountered another guest trying to pass in the opposite direction, you know how you can zig and zag when trying to pass someone? she got all frantic and rushed over to her table and sat down, breathing very hard. the dog was like her buffer ... and he calmed her.

all i can tell you is the female guest that stayed with me who had her emotional support dog with her spoke to and about the dog very calmly. it was when she tried to interact by herself, for example on the phone, she had a very hard time. one morning, she left the dog at her table and went to the buffet table about 15 feet away to get something. encountered another guest trying to pass in the opposite direction, you know how you can zig and zag when trying to pass someone? she got all frantic and rushed over to her table and sat down, breathing very hard. the dog was like her buffer ... and he calmed her..
What a great story. Some folks really really do need those service animals. In fact, for some folks they're so effective that it's hard to tell that they need them - until they're gone.

Do the airlines require documentation for service animals or just emotional support animals? Two entirely different categories.
We don't have to take emotional support animals. That category, as far as I know, is still being debated..
Actually, no, it's not up for debate. A service animal can be for any reason, including emotional. Someone who needs that animal to help control their PTSD, for instance, needs that animal as much as someone who is blind.
I was in a McDonald's the other day and a man walked in with a shaggy small pup. I saw a "saddle" on it, and asked the man. He said it is a service animal. He is diabetic and the dog told him he should eat. A first time for everything!

Do the airlines require documentation for service animals or just emotional support animals? Two entirely different categories.
We don't have to take emotional support animals. That category, as far as I know, is still being debated..
Actually, no, it's not up for debate. A service animal can be for any reason, including emotional. Someone who needs that animal to help control their PTSD, for instance, needs that animal as much as someone who is blind.
I was in a McDonald's the other day and a man walked in with a shaggy small pup. I saw a "saddle" on it, and asked the man. He said it is a service animal. He is diabetic and the dog told him he should eat. A first time for everything!
remnjava said:
We have a family friend who has a support shaggy pup for seizures, he can detect small ones before grand mal. I always think of her when we discuss this topic and if she was traveling she would never stay in a hotel room all alone, she would pick a B&B for certain.

remnjava said:
We have a family friend who has a support shaggy pup for seizures, he can detect small ones before grand mal. I always think of her when we discuss this topic and if she was traveling she would never stay in a hotel room all alone, she would pick a B&B for certain.
It's really stories like these that so illustrate how important service animals are and just what an honor it is for all of us to be around them.

remnjava said:
It's really stories like these that so illustrate how important service animals are and just what an honor it is for all of us to be around them.
And that is why it is disgusting that selfish "gotta have my way so FiFi is a "service" animal" people use it to get their way. It hurts everyone. It is like the woman who is ticked at her boyfriend or ex and clains the big R. It hurts every woman who actually was because now there is a question of is it real or is it revenge?

Back