Ever have one of those morning?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guest come in for breakfast. Survey the room which includes cheese omelets, salsa, French toast, three kinds of syrup, bacon, sausage, yogurt, melon, strawberries, oatmeal, cold cereal, raisin bread, coffee cake, juices and milk. They say, do you have pancakes?
Ummmmm, as the store owner told the terminator, "just what you see, Pal."

Guest come in for breakfast. Survey the room which includes cheese omelets, salsa, French toast, three kinds of syrup, bacon, sausage, yogurt, melon, strawberries, oatmeal, cold cereal, raisin bread, coffee cake, juices and milk. They say, do you have pancakes?
Ummmmm, as the store owner told the terminator, "just what you see, Pal.".
I checked to see if they would be here tomorrow and promised them pancakes tomorrow. They were thrilled.

Thank you for highlighting, several times now, that having a buffet with a little of everything does not keep the 'can we have...' wolf at bay.

Thank you for highlighting, several times now, that having a buffet with a little of everything does not keep the 'can we have...' wolf at bay.
Exactly.

I checked to see if they would be here tomorrow and promised them pancakes tomorrow. They were thrilled.
We always include pancakes one morning in a 3-night stay if possible. And the pancake recipe is the most requested recipe we make. Maybe it's because many B+B's feature a big heap of flapjacks, dripping with butter and syrup and a side of bacon in their advertising?
Beachie, do you have a lot of waste from your buffet breakfasts? We started putting homemade granola and homemade yogurt on the sideboard last year and have found that a few really love it but the rest don't even give it a try. Fortunately we can also use the yogurt in other recipes so it does not go to waste. And the granola holds for a long time in a sealed container and can be used as toppings as well. But how about the omlets and FT?

We always include pancakes one morning in a 3-night stay if possible. And the pancake recipe is the most requested recipe we make. Maybe it's because many B+B's feature a big heap of flapjacks, dripping with butter and syrup and a side of bacon in their advertising?
Beachie, do you have a lot of waste from your buffet breakfasts? We started putting homemade granola and homemade yogurt on the sideboard last year and have found that a few really love it but the rest don't even give it a try. Fortunately we can also use the yogurt in other recipes so it does not go to waste. And the granola holds for a long time in a sealed container and can be used as toppings as well. But how about the omlets and FT?
It is unpredictable, but we often have leftovers. I take the leftover quiches to work with me for my breakfast. DS likes to add leftover bacon to his sandwiches and DH will eat the leftover pancakes. The cats like the leftover sausage. I bring leftover coffee cake to work and it doesn't last 10 minutes n the community kitchen. :)
We used to make yogurt parfaits and either eat the leftovers or toss them. Now we only use sealed one serving cups. We put them out in an ice bath and reuse any that don't get taken. The granola is in a vacuum sealed container.
We toss away a lot of milk and juice. It's a shame, but it's prepaid for, so we haven't lost anything.
We have never had leftovers of the sweet break pudding I just started to make. A keeper!

It is unpredictable, but we often have leftovers. I take the leftover quiches to work with me for my breakfast. DS likes to add leftover bacon to his sandwiches and DH will eat the leftover pancakes. The cats like the leftover sausage. I bring leftover coffee cake to work and it doesn't last 10 minutes n the community kitchen. :)
We used to make yogurt parfaits and either eat the leftovers or toss them. Now we only use sealed one serving cups. We put them out in an ice bath and reuse any that don't get taken. The granola is in a vacuum sealed container.
We toss away a lot of milk and juice. It's a shame, but it's prepaid for, so we haven't lost anything.
We have never had leftovers of the sweet break pudding I just started to make. A keeper!
Why are you tossing milk and juice?

I don't believe we can save milk. It's been in ice, but out for two hours. Juice - if it looks untouched we may save it, but most days, it is a couple glasses left.
Do you reuse?

There are pop tarts and then there are Joanne Chang's pop tarts! This recipe was online so I think it's ok to share it. I bought her Flour cookbook a few years ago and everything I've made from it has been wonderful, especially these pop tarts. They are easy and the guests love them! If you're ever in the Cambridge/Boston area be sure to visit her restaurants (also called Flour). The BEST Boston Cream Pie and Tiramisu I've ever tasted.

There are pop tarts and then there are Joanne Chang's pop tarts! This recipe was online so I think it's ok to share it. I bought her Flour cookbook a few years ago and everything I've made from it has been wonderful, especially these pop tarts. They are easy and the guests love them! If you're ever in the Cambridge/Boston area be sure to visit her restaurants (also called Flour). The BEST Boston Cream Pie and Tiramisu I've ever tasted..
Bookmarked, but we found that we can't get guests to eat a large pastry. Heck, I have to cut a regular muffin in two to sell them... we use minis instead. I would simplify it down to making the dough to rugelach, making it very long and maybe 1.5" wide and cut them into 1.5" squares, open at the side edges, if I had to serve them to guests.

I don't believe we can save milk. It's been in ice, but out for two hours. Juice - if it looks untouched we may save it, but most days, it is a couple glasses left.
Do you reuse?
TheBeachHouse said:
Do you reuse?
We have them in pitchers with an ice tube in the middle. We drink the juice and turn the milk and half and half into greek yogurt. So yes, we reuse it!

Do you reuse?
TheBeachHouse said:
Do you reuse?
We have them in pitchers with an ice tube in the middle. We drink the juice and turn the milk and half and half into greek yogurt. So yes, we reuse it!
Duff2014 said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Do you reuse?
We use the same thing, with the ice tube in the middle. This one is similar to ours. Just a note it you decide to get one, make sure you store the tube upright in the freezer and only fill it to the fill line, otherwise the seam can burst if the water melts and refreezes if it's on its side or overfilled.

Do you reuse?
TheBeachHouse said:
Do you reuse?
Is the juice in pitchers or glasses? In pitchers, with an ice insert, just reuse. If in glasses then toss. Milk on ice? Reuse. Reuse for cooking if nothing else.

There are pop tarts and then there are Joanne Chang's pop tarts! This recipe was online so I think it's ok to share it. I bought her Flour cookbook a few years ago and everything I've made from it has been wonderful, especially these pop tarts. They are easy and the guests love them! If you're ever in the Cambridge/Boston area be sure to visit her restaurants (also called Flour). The BEST Boston Cream Pie and Tiramisu I've ever tasted..
Bookmarked, but we found that we can't get guests to eat a large pastry. Heck, I have to cut a regular muffin in two to sell them... we use minis instead. I would simplify it down to making the dough to rugelach, making it very long and maybe 1.5" wide and cut them into 1.5" squares, open at the side edges, if I had to serve them to guests.
Hand pies can be made smaller. Three bites. Done.

Do you reuse?
TheBeachHouse said:
Do you reuse?
Duff2014 said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Do you reuse?
We use the same thing, with the ice tube in the middle. This one is similar to ours. Just a note it you decide to get one, make sure you store the tube upright in the freezer and only fill it to the fill line, otherwise the seam can burst if the water melts and refreezes if it's on its side or overfilled.
Get the reusable ice cubes. We put those in the tube with a little water. Stand upright in freezer.

Do you reuse?
TheBeachHouse said:
Do you reuse?
Is the juice in pitchers or glasses? In pitchers, with an ice insert, just reuse. If in glasses then toss. Milk on ice? Reuse. Reuse for cooking if nothing else.
The juice and milk are served in old fashioned milk jugs in a wine cooler bucket with plastic ice and water. Slightly embarrassed, but I never thought to save the milk for cooking. Why I love this place!

Do you reuse?
TheBeachHouse said:
Do you reuse?
I'm constantly amazed at how fragile milk is... on that side of the border. You guys need the fine/ultra filtered milk. I think Hood sells it in the US as Simply Smart. It's regular milk put through high pressure through an extremely fine filter to remove impurities. It cuts down on the time needed to pasturize the milk safely. And the milk stays good in the fridge for up to 5 weeks. (No... not UHT milk.) See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrafiltered_milk
I've seen it in Canada, North-Eastern US, Germany, Luxembourg and the UK.

I love Flour in the south end...best brioche ever!

Do you reuse?
I use the milk when it has gone sour even. I have a half gallon milk container in the fridge. Milk (rarely asked for in B & B) and half & half that is not used by me that day goes into it also. I have several recipes that use buttermilk or sour milk so I do not have to make it with vinegar - just dig out the bottle.

Generic said:
I've made them smaller by using a round pastry cutter. Just as delicious and you get more bang for your buck.

Back