Favorite guests this summer?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ready for this? They also told me something they thought I would like to know. They told me they went to "the diner" and were told by the owner that our B&B is for sale. he is also our next door neighbor and also a preacher in a very large church in the next town over. I am not pleased and about to contact them. Samster ate at that DIVE and they will be removed from our dining list now, for certain. She know which one I am speaking of, we took them there, hoping it had improved, it is rubbish.

Ready for this? They also told me something they thought I would like to know. They told me they went to "the diner" and were told by the owner that our B&B is for sale. he is also our next door neighbor and also a preacher in a very large church in the next town over. I am not pleased and about to contact them. Samster ate at that DIVE and they will be removed from our dining list now, for certain. She know which one I am speaking of, we took them there, hoping it had improved, it is rubbish..
Joey Bloggs said:
Ready for this? They told me they went to "the diner" and were told by the owner that our B&B is for sale. he is also our next door neighbor and also a preacher in a very large church in the next town over. I am not pleased and about to contact them.
It's hard to expect townfolk not to talk about a business in town that is for sale. As a neighbor, I'm sure he is wondering what will happen when you sell. He probably never gave a thought to the fact that you might not want it to be public knowledge or why you wouldn't.
I can go you one better.............
Had some guests come back to the house after dinner out and asked about the ghost of the little boy they were told about at the restaurant in town. They proceeded to tell me the story about the toddler that was accidentally shot and killed here by his brother about 25 years ago. Apparently everyone in town assumes he still haunts the house. I knew about it, but it's not something I wanted anyone to find out about....but people are people....

For a man who never says two words to us (As Samster will attest and we know his kids and grandkids), not even over the fence it is a bit much. Typical of around here, not even mention that we send BUSINESS TO THEM.
THEY are the newbies, not us, we knew the orig family who lived in that house, she was born there and died there - this house was her aunts etc etc, and orig to these homes on this street. They have the crappy two dogs who bark incessantly. Someone bought that to flip it as there were no rel's left to take it, it was a pit. The flippers worked hard on it (owned a nursery in Jersey and landscaped it etc) and then sold it finally two years ago.
Nope, not amused in the least, I took the diner off our list for guests, the cash only, get ignored and eat bad food - dirty dingy diner.
BTW no viewing from the realtor we hired. I had more when we had it listed for sale by owner. Nothing, nada. One inquiry and another who contacted us to lease the B&B. I sent the inquiry over to the realtor. Dh is ticked off as they did nothing to help really, but I am hoping some new DR will move into town and want this location here near the hospital or something... :)

I just spent an hour talking to these wonderful folks and they went over every little thing they love about their stay. They said little things you didn't have to do, but did. She said when she came down to the warm brownies she let out a little yelp. She said "They were still warm!"
See how it is! Blessings...I can't count them. I need to one day try. :).
cheers.gif
You are a fantastic hostess and innkeeper! I have firsthand experience also that allows me to say this. :)

Ready for this? They also told me something they thought I would like to know. They told me they went to "the diner" and were told by the owner that our B&B is for sale. he is also our next door neighbor and also a preacher in a very large church in the next town over. I am not pleased and about to contact them. Samster ate at that DIVE and they will be removed from our dining list now, for certain. She know which one I am speaking of, we took them there, hoping it had improved, it is rubbish..
Yep, we had the thinnest "steak" that I've ever had there and no real flavor, plus I was AMAZED that they didn't take credit cards in this day in age. I'm so sad that my 2 favorite places in your town are now gone. :-( But, YOU are still there!! :)
That is SO RUDE for them to mention that your place is for sale. I kept my mouth shut when my 2 competitors were for sale, off and on. People are such gossips.

For a man who never says two words to us (As Samster will attest and we know his kids and grandkids), not even over the fence it is a bit much. Typical of around here, not even mention that we send BUSINESS TO THEM.
THEY are the newbies, not us, we knew the orig family who lived in that house, she was born there and died there - this house was her aunts etc etc, and orig to these homes on this street. They have the crappy two dogs who bark incessantly. Someone bought that to flip it as there were no rel's left to take it, it was a pit. The flippers worked hard on it (owned a nursery in Jersey and landscaped it etc) and then sold it finally two years ago.
Nope, not amused in the least, I took the diner off our list for guests, the cash only, get ignored and eat bad food - dirty dingy diner.
BTW no viewing from the realtor we hired. I had more when we had it listed for sale by owner. Nothing, nada. One inquiry and another who contacted us to lease the B&B. I sent the inquiry over to the realtor. Dh is ticked off as they did nothing to help really, but I am hoping some new DR will move into town and want this location here near the hospital or something... :).
Don't get discouraged. This is a bad time of year for all that kind of stuff (including selling rooms, our phones and emails are silent this week)...as you well know everyone is trying to get the kids back to school! Things will definitely start to pick up soon.

Attitude is everything, me says.
Vying for favorites this summer are a couple from Baton Rouge here for 4 nights. It POURED down last night, they are happy as can be on the porch reading their books while the rain pummeled the place, in fact loving every minute. Where other guests complain about not being able to do this or that. They say "When it stops...we will do this or that." I LOVE THAT!
I bring out breakfast, comments galore wow this is amazing etc. They have had their own pot of coffee on a tray each morning, flowers by the bed, wine glasses for their evening each night.
Asking me how the morning went getting the girls off to skool for the first of the new skool year.Just plain ol' nice people, and great guests!
Oh and yesterday I was not here, had the sign on the door for CHECK IN BEGINS AT... And they were inside and told me "We saw the sign on the door, and we also read the confirmation about no early check ins, so we didn't let them in. They wanted us to. We went out there and said we are only guests you will have to wait til check in time" I thought this was so funny! I thanked them for that. They said to me "Well you don't need to answer that door until check in time, people can just wait!"
cheers.gif

Do you remember the first day of school? I love seeing the kids in their new school shoes, waiting eagerly to wear them on the first day...when you are little you want to sleep in them! I took this pic and a couple others on the porch before school today.
Skool.JPG
I LOVE this pic! I hope your girls have a wonderful school year. I went to parochial school so shoes and socks were our only means of "wardrobe expression" so I especially looked forward to the first day of school and cool new shoes!!!
Lucky you. NO expression at my school at all. Same socks, same shoes, same uniform, same headband.
I got my FIRST pair of blue jeans when I went to high school! My mother was aghast that I was going to wear them TO school!
It was fairly hilarious, esp at the high school level...who could find the loudest, most obnoxious socks. As long as they were knee socks it was okay. Shoes we had a little less wiggle room, fairly standard loafers, etc. I do NOT miss ironing those stupid Peter Pan collars...
Oh, high school, too? You poor thing. But, I would have been all over the outlandish socks thing! Still am.
We moved the day after I graduated 8th grade so no parochial hs for me. My mother wanted me to go to the Catholic high school where we moved to but I told her she had to drive me because the bus only went to the public hs. She didn't drive. I lied. The bus went to the public hs and then another bus picked up all the Catholic school kids at all the public highs and took them to school. I SO wanted to go to public hs!
NICE! See, you outsmarted your parents but my parents outsmarted ME...I only did freshman year at the catholic school...which was 10 miles away from home, and the public high school was literally two blocks from our house. My Dad got sick of driving me everywhere (sports, band, etc.) and simply said "That's it!" I kicked and screamed that I didn't want to go (mostly because I wouldn't know anyone, since I'd not gone to the public grade school). But away I went...and wouldn't you know I met DH there...he asked me to the Junior Prom and the rest as they say is history. So my folks got the last laugh and like to remind me FREQUENTLY that they always know best!
Rupert said:
But away I went...and wouldn't you know I met DH there...he asked me to the Junior Prom and the rest as they say is history. So my folks got the last laugh and like to remind me FREQUENTLY that they always know best!
That's a sweet story!
heart.gif

I met my dh at a stop light in Myrtle Beach, SC on my senior year spring break...14 years later, here we are.

Vying for favorites this summer are a couple from Baton Rouge here for 4 nights. It POURED down last night, they are happy as can be on the porch reading their books while the rain pummeled the place, in fact loving every minute. Where other guests complain about not being able to do this or that. They say "When it stops...we will do this or that." I LOVE THAT!
I bring out breakfast, comments galore wow this is amazing etc. They have had their own pot of coffee on a tray each morning, flowers by the bed, wine glasses for their evening each night.
Asking me how the morning went getting the girls off to skool for the first of the new skool year.Just plain ol' nice people, and great guests!
Oh and yesterday I was not here, had the sign on the door for CHECK IN BEGINS AT... And they were inside and told me "We saw the sign on the door, and we also read the confirmation about no early check ins, so we didn't let them in. They wanted us to. We went out there and said we are only guests you will have to wait til check in time" I thought this was so funny! I thanked them for that. They said to me "Well you don't need to answer that door until check in time, people can just wait!"
cheers.gif

Do you remember the first day of school? I love seeing the kids in their new school shoes, waiting eagerly to wear them on the first day...when you are little you want to sleep in them! I took this pic and a couple others on the porch before school today.
Skool.JPG
I LOVE this pic! I hope your girls have a wonderful school year. I went to parochial school so shoes and socks were our only means of "wardrobe expression" so I especially looked forward to the first day of school and cool new shoes!!!
Lucky you. NO expression at my school at all. Same socks, same shoes, same uniform, same headband.
I got my FIRST pair of blue jeans when I went to high school! My mother was aghast that I was going to wear them TO school!
It was fairly hilarious, esp at the high school level...who could find the loudest, most obnoxious socks. As long as they were knee socks it was okay. Shoes we had a little less wiggle room, fairly standard loafers, etc. I do NOT miss ironing those stupid Peter Pan collars...
Oh, high school, too? You poor thing. But, I would have been all over the outlandish socks thing! Still am.
We moved the day after I graduated 8th grade so no parochial hs for me. My mother wanted me to go to the Catholic high school where we moved to but I told her she had to drive me because the bus only went to the public hs. She didn't drive. I lied. The bus went to the public hs and then another bus picked up all the Catholic school kids at all the public highs and took them to school. I SO wanted to go to public hs!
NICE! See, you outsmarted your parents but my parents outsmarted ME...I only did freshman year at the catholic school...which was 10 miles away from home, and the public high school was literally two blocks from our house. My Dad got sick of driving me everywhere (sports, band, etc.) and simply said "That's it!" I kicked and screamed that I didn't want to go (mostly because I wouldn't know anyone, since I'd not gone to the public grade school). But away I went...and wouldn't you know I met DH there...he asked me to the Junior Prom and the rest as they say is history. So my folks got the last laugh and like to remind me FREQUENTLY that they always know best!
Rupert said:
But away I went...and wouldn't you know I met DH there...he asked me to the Junior Prom and the rest as they say is history. So my folks got the last laugh and like to remind me FREQUENTLY that they always know best!
That's a sweet story!
heart.gif

I met my dh at a stop light in Myrtle Beach, SC on my senior year spring break...14 years later, here we are.
OK, I met Gomez at the lunch table at work. We were both 'otherwise involved' but we ate lunch together as a big group for quite a long time. I cannot recall ever having a single conversation with him during that time. All I remember is he wore corduroy pants all the time. He, however, remembers eveything about me.

I met David through an ad in the personals of our local newspaper.....18 years ago.

cheers.gif

Skool.JPG
We met at Parents Without Partners. The day the high point of my life was the delivery of a washer & dryer I KNEW something had to change! About 4 months after we met we started dating.

cheers.gif

Skool.JPG
You got to wear jeans to school?????? My cousin gave me my first pair of jeans (an old pair of his) tht I was allowed to wear to school in winter UNDER my skirt and they had to come OFF once we got to school (public grade school) and after school to do my chores. I used to hide them from my Mom because if she wasjhed them on Monday, they would not be dry when I got home! In high school girl's dress code was skirts & dresses and if there was any question about length (mini skirts were JUST starting to come in) you had to kneel on the floor - hem no touch floor? go home and change!

cheers.gif

Skool.JPG
Rupert said:
That's a sweet story!
heart.gif

OK, I met Gomez at the lunch table at work. We were both 'otherwise involved' but we ate lunch together as a big group for quite a long time. I cannot recall ever having a single conversation with him during that time. All I remember is he wore corduroy pants all the time. He, however, remembers eveything about me.
I met DH at work also - it was love at first sight for me. Within a week I broke up with my then-boyfriend and told him I had feelings for someone else. However, it took DH six months to ask me out because he thought I was still with that boyfriend. One time the office grapevine didn't work very well.

cheers.gif

Skool.JPG
We met at Parents Without Partners. The day the high point of my life was the delivery of a washer & dryer I KNEW something had to change! About 4 months after we met we started dating.
We should have made this a separate thread, I love these stories!

Well here ya go everyone, they have checked out after 4 nights and I will miss them.
They were the best guests ever.
Many reasons combined and a few that stand on their own. They loved the coffee, drank two pots every day, loved the breakfast, never left a bite on the plate, they made their bed every day, their room was immaculate. They read on the porch. They walked around town. They picnicked on the parkway, had a couples massage, they were ingrained in this B&B like the woodwork and decor.
So I went up to strip the room and found the room journal - you all say we are never positive, when we are it is personal, so here goes - read to the last line:
"Our main focus was more of a retreat than a "vacation." We only cranked the car once during our entire stay.
It may sound boring and uneventful for most, but for us it was wonderful.
What JB did to make our stay memorable - is greatly appreciated.
There is also a spa not far away, we recommend the couples massage.
I do so hope you'll take the time to sit on the porch, and listen to the birds and crickets...notice the butterflies and lightning bugs...and if you're really attentive you may hear the laughter of a child."

Well here ya go everyone, they have checked out after 4 nights and I will miss them.
Many reasons combined and a few that stand on their own. They loved the coffee, drank two pots every day, loved the breakfast, never left a bite on the plate, they made their bed every day, their room was immaculate. They read on the porch. They walked around town. They picnicked on the parkway, had a couples massage, they were ingrained in this B&B like the woodwork and decor.
So I went up to strip the room and found the room journal - you all say we are never positive, when we are it is personal, so here goes - read to the last line:
"Our main focus was more of a retreat than a "vacation." We only cranked the car once during our entire stay.
I do so hope you'll take the time to sit on the porch, and listen to the birds and crickets...notice the butterflies and lightning bugs...and if you're really attentive you may hear the laughter of a child.".
That is absolutely terrific!

I blogged it too. It is just something small, but means a lot to this innkeeper.
FYI not a gripe, just a background...I also had butt-head guests this week. Dirty, lazy, rude, arrogant. The reason DH was on the floor fixing the front door after lightning strike took down our 9-11 system so he was frantically fixing that for Public Safety. and then raced home at 7pm to fix the door after they told me they would KICK IT IN when I answered the door and pulled it open.
After it was 100% fixed, the dufus still couldn't get the door open. He would enter the code and then stand there. Yeah righto that is what they do in hotels, you put the card in and the door auto-opens. NOT! He said YOU DO IT THEN! I walked outside, punched in the 4 digits pushed the door open and walked in. As our NICE guests said when they saw this "I would have to sit on my lips around that guy!" They stayed paid and went away... :)

That chap is a really good example of people on that other thread that you wish you had asked to leave on check in!

Fortunately for me I didn't see them at check in, and the first morning they skipped breakfast and had only coffee, which he spilled all over our coffee area (which is a drop leaf table) btw and left it. Then they were gone all day. I believe he wanted in so bad to get to his bah ba. He had downed an entire bottle of Jim Beam the first night and had a second bottle waiting in his room. So I had the advantage of seeing them for all of 15 seconds and of course their filthy room when I freshened it. 15 seconds was more than enough, let me assure you!

I do so hope you'll take the time to sit on the porch, and listen to the birds and crickets...notice the butterflies and lightning bugs...and if you're really attentive you may hear the laughter of a child.".
That is wonderful!

My favorite guests I mentioned from their midweek stay are still a legend in my mind. They weren't over the top in any means, they weren't even very personal or anything, they just "were" and that seems to be something I really like. I like laid back, just "are" guests. It rained, they loved it, said they sat on the porch and listened to the rain on the metal roof with their glasses of wine and books.
Another couple here on a dinner cruise last night that someone else gave them as a gift, I asked her how it was and her reply was "Well you would want to do it twice."
Lord help us all from the negative people.
I inquired of course, as to why?
She told me the litany of reasons why. "It is dark you can't see anything." I asked her "It is a sunset dinner cruise...did you see the sunset?"
"Yeah I suppose so just as we left the dock for a while."

Back