Filed under: Can't win for losing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Borrowing" this thread momentarily...
I have an online discount and you need to put in the code to get the discount. Now why? You all know why, no need to rehash the whole discount idea. But I keep getting people who say the "enter discount code here" is for ME, ie the innkeeper, not for them. Why is it on YOUR reservation form, you are filling out? I ask them. They ask why they have to enter it?
I told this guest this morning, who is very nice, don't get me wrong, that otherwise I would just lower my prices $10, this is an incentive for guests to book online.
She just stared at me confused.
Marketing - okay it's marketing!! Save $10 sounds better than DON'T SaVE $10! Plus I get ALL YOUR INFO and my little policies boxed ticked.

We, too, have a similar Schlage model (same programming process). I was wondering, Morticia, what the big deal was about changing the code, then I remembered your lock is like the one we have on our private quarters. That lock is a pain.
You might want to consider changing locks. We only have 4 rooms, but honestly, it's so straightforward to change the code, pretty much as soon as I see they're out the door, they get five minutes (or less, if I'm busy), and that code gets deleted. Because we have so few rooms, I give each guest a code specific to them and we haven't had anyone forget (yet). But even if guest-specific codes weren't an option, the add/delete code process is simple enough to change codes weekly..
I need a lock with more combos allowed (at least 10) and an easy way to swap them out. I'll look around. We can use this lock on the front door or on our door.
If it's easy, I'll do it myself every morning right after brekkie. But not when the lock requires disassembling!
I think I would be shopping for a new lock. NOPE....Disassembling a lock is not convenient :-(
catlady said:
I think I would be shopping for a new lock. NOPE....Disassembling a lock is not convenient :-(
Found one (or more!). 20 programmable slots, programs from the keypad, no noise. Will be ordering later on today. Directions for programming seem pretty straightforward. 1-2-3-4-done.
It'll be a bit of work in the summer to get this done everyday, but less of a hassle than what we've been thru so far. And then I can put the other lock on my door so it is locked all the time and I don't have to deal with nosy guests popping in on me in my jammies! Plus, I will be able to get into my house thru the inn when the doors are locked, something I can't do right now because I never have the keys with me.

We, too, have a similar Schlage model (same programming process). I was wondering, Morticia, what the big deal was about changing the code, then I remembered your lock is like the one we have on our private quarters. That lock is a pain.
You might want to consider changing locks. We only have 4 rooms, but honestly, it's so straightforward to change the code, pretty much as soon as I see they're out the door, they get five minutes (or less, if I'm busy), and that code gets deleted. Because we have so few rooms, I give each guest a code specific to them and we haven't had anyone forget (yet). But even if guest-specific codes weren't an option, the add/delete code process is simple enough to change codes weekly..
I need a lock with more combos allowed (at least 10) and an easy way to swap them out. I'll look around. We can use this lock on the front door or on our door.
If it's easy, I'll do it myself every morning right after brekkie. But not when the lock requires disassembling!
catlady said:
Found one (or more!). 20 programmable slots, programs from the keypad, no noise. Will be ordering later on today. Directions for programming seem pretty straightforward. 1-2-3-4-done.
It'll be a bit of work in the summer to get this done everyday, but less of a hassle than what we've been thru so far. And then I can put the other lock on my door so it is locked all the time and I don't have to deal with nosy guests popping in on me in my jammies! Plus, I will be able to get into my house thru the inn when the doors are locked, something I can't do right now because I never have the keys with me.
YEah! Good for you
thumbs_up.gif

catlady said:
Care to share the name of the one you found with 20 codes?
I'm thinking this could solve our entry door issue too. But how to determine the individual codes? My first thought was that I'd use the 4 digits of the telephone number they used on their reservation. But if I had reserved and actually given my cell phone number, if someone coded that I'd never remember it. Maybe address? What do the rest of you use?

catlady said:
I'm thinking this could solve our entry door issue too. But how to determine the individual codes? My first thought was that I'd use the 4 digits of the telephone number they used on their reservation. But if I had reserved and actually given my cell phone number, if someone coded that I'd never remember it. Maybe address? What do the rest of you use?
Schlage. Don't have the model number but just search on 'keyless door locks' and a whole bunch of them come up. You can then pick the one that suits your decor and your specific needs.

catlady said:
Schlage. Don't have the model number but just search on 'keyless door locks' and a whole bunch of them come up. You can then pick the one that suits your decor and your specific needs.
We've put Schlage on our private space, the back door to the house, and the office door. Love them! Love never getting locked out again when I go out to water plants or put the garbage out. Love being able to keep the office locked and know that no guests and only the helpers with a code get in there. But I didn't realize they had a version that could take so many codes. Thanks.

catlady said:
You will like the Schlage, rather easy to operate.

The one pictured allows many codes..
Joey Bloggs said:
The one pictured allows many codes.
I like that one but it has a deadbolt. You KNOW how many guests will lock everyone else out even tho the original purpose of the keyless lock was because no one locked the door at night!
I think the one I found is that one without the deadbolt.

Joey Bloggs said:
I like that one but it has a deadbolt. You KNOW how many guests will lock everyone else out even tho the original purpose of the keyless lock was because no one locked the door at night!
Morticia said:
I like that one but it has a deadbolt.
No, it does not have a deadbolt. It just replaces a regular doorknob. The little horizontal latch above the handle in the lower photo is just how you lock and unlock it manually. It does not engage a deadbolt.
But I do plan to disable that locking latch on the one at my B&B so guests can't unlock the door. With it in locked position outsiders must enter the code. If it's turned to the unlocked position, outsiders can just turn the handle and walk right in. I plan to deactivate that thing.

Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
No, it does not have a deadbolt. It just replaces a regular doorknob. The little horizontal latch above the handle in the lower photo is just how you lock and unlock it manually. It does not engage a deadbolt.
But I do plan to disable that locking latch on the one at my B&B so guests can't unlock the door. With it in locked position outsiders must enter the code. If it's turned to the unlocked position, outsiders can just turn the handle and walk right in. I plan to deactivate that thing.
No extra moving parts here. The lock we have now has the same sort of doohickey any doorlock has and if the door doesn't open IMMEDIATELY, if there is the slightest hesitation when a guest moves the lever they fiddle with it and essentially lock the handle in place. So I need a handle with NOTHING else on the plate. Just the handle. Because I have watched the wheels turning as they exit the door...'Hmmm, this must UNLOCK the door, I won't need the code to get in, I'll just turn this and ha, ha, fooled them.' (Yes, I'm standing there. Do they think I'm an idiot?)
But, ha, ha, the door automatically locks itself so they've locked themselves out. But, ha, ha on me, I now have to let them in.
So, attempting here to outwit at least a few more clueless people. Even tho I understand that I am only encourging the wilier ones to let me know what I missed in all my plans!
But, thanks for telling me that's not a deadbolt.
BTW, how easy is that to read in the dark? Do the numbers light up?

Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
No extra moving parts here. The lock we have now has the same sort of doohickey any doorlock has and if the door doesn't open IMMEDIATELY, if there is the slightest hesitation when a guest moves the lever they fiddle with it and essentially lock the handle in place. So I need a handle with NOTHING else on the plate. Just the handle. Because I have watched the wheels turning as they exit the door...'Hmmm, this must UNLOCK the door, I won't need the code to get in, I'll just turn this and ha, ha, fooled them.' (Yes, I'm standing there. Do they think I'm an idiot?)
But, ha, ha, the door automatically locks itself so they've locked themselves out. But, ha, ha on me, I now have to let them in.
So, attempting here to outwit at least a few more clueless people. Even tho I understand that I am only encourging the wilier ones to let me know what I missed in all my plans!
Morticia said:
Yes. There's a long button above the number keypad. When you press that, the numbers light up for use after dark. I guess they have it only light when you press the "light on" button to prolong battery life. It would run down a lot faster if the lights came on every time you entered a code.

Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Yes. There's a long button above the number keypad. When you press that, the numbers light up for use after dark. I guess they have it only light when you press the "light on" button to prolong battery life. It would run down a lot faster if the lights came on every time you entered a code.
Arkansawyer said:
Morticia said:
This sounds like the one we have from Lowes. I love it. We have had it for three years.
RIki

Guests remembering codes.....
From what I have gleamed from several threads.......some folks forget or just don't care to remember the codes. And...the idea of cute ways to remember, written on a piece of paper, etc.....
What about using the last 4 digits of their phone number?

From what I have gleamed from several threads.......some folks forget or just don't care to remember the codes. And...the idea of cute ways to remember, written on a piece of paper, etc.....
What about using the last 4 digits of their phone number?.
One Day said:
I've heard that suggested before. Only drawbacks I can think of are that you have to program a separate code for every guest, and if someone knows who is staying at your place, they could figure out the code.
I don't see either of these as a huge problem, but I'm hoping to just have one code for all guests, and change it weekly. Programming a separate code for each person sounds like more work than it's worth just for the front door. Of course, if you're using combination locks on the guest rooms each WOULD need its own code, but I'm not sure I want to go that route.

I'm looking at a keypad entry gate because we sit a quarter of a mile of the road. Since we only have two cottages, I would only have to have two codes and a master code at any one time.
The only drawback? Have you priced a keypad entry gate?
wow.gif

What about using the last 4 digits of their phone number?.
One Day said:
I've heard that suggested before. Only drawbacks I can think of are that you have to program a separate code for every guest, and if someone knows who is staying at your place, they could figure out the code.
I don't see either of these as a huge problem, but I'm hoping to just have one code for all guests, and change it weekly. Programming a separate code for each person sounds like more work than it's worth just for the front door. Of course, if you're using combination locks on the guest rooms each WOULD need its own code, but I'm not sure I want to go that route.
When you figure out how to get every guest to memorize the code you give them, let me know.
wink_smile.gif

I'm looking at a keypad entry gate because we sit a quarter of a mile of the road. Since we only have two cottages, I would only have to have two codes and a master code at any one time.
The only drawback? Have you priced a keypad entry gate?
wow.gif
Our church installed one at one of the entrances of the Parish Center.....Installer told me it was $2,500.........double gate, 2 motors, including a couple remotes. So those with a remote would not have to get out of the car.......hardwired from the building was extra.
I guess getting out of the car to unlock the padlock & chain....was to much effort for some.
i informed our priest that if the church feels they have the $ spend on this nonsense......they certainly do not need my contributions.
I found out that contributions have dropped considerably since the autogates were installed and other silly expenditures.........but when they did the elevator for the church....contributions were rising.

Okay may I intervene on this thread a moment.
This is the deal, changing passwords on your front door OFTEN is like changing your atm code or something you do OFTEN, daily NEW password on your pc! It would be maniacal to do it.
Take the
potty-mouth.gif
thing out, put a lock with keys that are lost or taken constantly or left in the room when they step outside and then answer the door all the time. OR leave it open and have past guests possibly wander in.
This thread is making me bananas (borrowed that term from Liza Minelli last week). YES BANANAS! Stop already, the only answer to ALL these problems is to shut the inn down! Bar the doors, turn off the lights, put a SOLD sign out front and move to Florida already.
help.gif

How about a retina scan? They will still have to open the door unless you put in those grocery store auto door openers.

Back