GF, soy free, vegan

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I did a fruit crisp and topped it with granola and fresh fruit. DH bought vegan butter sub and that worked out well for the GF toast. Did not offer veggie sausage as it has eggs in it and also gluten. Apparently this food regimen is not appreciated by all members of the family who sighed and sat back and told me to pull up a chair as the guest took a deep breath to tell me everything off the list. I explained I had already made something or there was GF, vegan, soy free oatmeal. New best friends. Life is good. I have a new recipe that is simple and quick..
I am co-hosting an intern lunch on Friday and have received the following list of allergies:
- Vegan (severely allergic to eggs, dairy, soy, and peanuts)
- gluten (celiac) so we'll need at least one gluten-free serving
- peanuts, pistachios (2 people)
- sweet potatoes (1 person)
- tropical & acidic fruits (1 person)
- Seafood (1 person)
I'm going to suggest Mexican tortilla bar, so they can all mix and match. I'll make rice and beans that meet all the requirements, and have a green salad without nuts or cheese. Interesting that there are no 'plain vegetarians' and ...?sweet potatoes?
Potluck. BYOF. How many people are coming? And what kind of interns? Sounds like a sickly profession. ;-)
Morticia said:
Potluck. BYOF. How many people are coming? And what kind of interns? Sounds like a sickly profession. ;-)
Thirty-five or so. Theater interns, all youngsters - living in dorms so we do these lunches once a week so they get some decent food. I do despair for the future of B&B guests with all the special diets for young folks these days. My last innsit I had two young girls on special diets - pretty sure it was all mama's issues, though.
Just read an interesting piece on weight loss and a gf diet. It was poking fun at the habit of cutting out gluten as a way to lose weight and attributing any weight loss to removing gluten from the diet. Rather than the idea you might now be paying attention to what you're eating and maybe you start ed exercising, too.
Which I jokingly referred to today when I was told how much weight a guest had lost by removing gluten from the diet.
"It's not removing gluten that caused the drop. It's not eating donuts everyday that does the trick."
But the guest thinks it's the gluten free that does the trick so it's eggs for the rest of the week.

So I did a fruit crisp and topped it with granola and fresh fruit. DH bought vegan butter sub and that worked out well for the GF toast. Did not offer veggie sausage as it has eggs in it and also gluten. Apparently this food regimen is not appreciated by all members of the family who sighed and sat back and told me to pull up a chair as the guest took a deep breath to tell me everything off the list. I explained I had already made something or there was GF, vegan, soy free oatmeal. New best friends. Life is good. I have a new recipe that is simple and quick..
I am co-hosting an intern lunch on Friday and have received the following list of allergies:
- Seafood (1 person)
I'm going to suggest Mexican tortilla bar, so they can all mix and match. I'll make rice and beans that meet all the requirements, and have a green salad without nuts or cheese. Interesting that there are no 'plain vegetarians' and ...?sweet potatoes?
Morticia said:
Thirty-five or so. Theater interns, all youngsters - living in dorms so we do these lunches once a week so they get some decent food. I do despair for the future of B&B guests with all the special diets for young folks these days. My last innsit I had two young girls on special diets - pretty sure it was all mama's issues, though.
Just read an interesting piece on weight loss and a gf diet. It was poking fun at the habit of cutting out gluten as a way to lose weight and attributing any weight loss to removing gluten from the diet. Rather than the idea you might now be paying attention to what you're eating and maybe you start ed exercising, too.
Which I jokingly referred to today when I was told how much weight a guest had lost by removing gluten from the diet.
"It's not removing gluten that caused the drop. It's not eating donuts everyday that does the trick."
But the guest thinks it's the gluten free that does the trick so it's eggs for the rest of the week.
Ridiculous. Whole grain/fiber like wheat is strongly correlated with lower weight.
Frustrating these types who read an article or two and then latch onto misinformation and build entire belief systems..

- Seafood (1 person)
Sweet potatoes are a member of the Nightshade family
I think you mean the morning glory family. Potatoes are in the nightshade family.
Yes you are right! I stand corrected
regular_smile.gif

- Seafood (1 person)
Morticia said:
Ridiculous. Whole grain/fiber like wheat is strongly correlated with lower weight.
Frustrating these types who read an article or two and then latch onto misinformation and build entire belief systems..
undersea said:
Ridiculous. Whole grain/fiber like wheat is strongly correlated with lower weight. Frustrating these types who read an article or two and then latch onto misinformation and build entire belief systems..
Hey, I totally agree. Half the battle to losing weight is eating small amounts of food that keeps you feeling full for a long time and keeps your energy level up. Whole grains are good for this.

- Seafood (1 person)
Morticia said:
undersea said:
Ridiculous. Whole grain/fiber like wheat is strongly correlated with lower weight. Frustrating these types who read an article or two and then latch onto misinformation and build entire belief systems..
Hey, I totally agree. Half the battle to losing weight is eating small amounts of food that keeps you feeling full for a long time and keeps your energy level up. Whole grains are good for this.
The true paleo diet, was our ancestors ate 4-5 pounds a day of wild meat, fish, and very fibrous leaves, fruits, seeds, etc. They were very active many hours a day to survive. We gain weight now because we down sodas, ranch dressing, sugar, cheese curls, waffles, junk food, Twinkies, etc. Our idea of activity is mopping a floor or pressing remote buttons.

Back