Guest Damage

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can come spend a couple of days with us, we can help you repair the lamp. We have a fully equipped stained glass studio and it looks fixable. Road trip excuse?

If you can come spend a couple of days with us, we can help you repair the lamp. We have a fully equipped stained glass studio and it looks fixable. Road trip excuse?.
Mountain Inn said:
If you can come spend a couple of days with us, we can help you repair the lamp. We have a fully equipped stained glass studio and it looks fixable. Road trip excuse?
Now that sounds like a happy ending!

If you can come spend a couple of days with us, we can help you repair the lamp. We have a fully equipped stained glass studio and it looks fixable. Road trip excuse?.
Hey!! I may just have a to break a couple of lamps and get myself up there ....

I feel bad for you. I have had a person sit on a piano bench a break it. Bad thing was she just stopped by to say hi to guest while they were her to visit. She wasn't even staying. I was greatful she was not hurt.
I also had a guy rock back too far in a wicker rocker and break it.
I just took these in stride as part of doing buisness.
Your lamp is so beautiful. Sorry :(

Stained glass person said $150 to repair it (and that also includes our 3 hours drive total) to drop off and back home, and then the same again to collect it.

Stained glass person said $150 to repair it (and that also includes our 3 hours drive total) to drop off and back home, and then the same again to collect it..
Joey Bloggs said:
Stained glass person said $150 to repair it (and that also includes our 3 hours drive total) to drop off and back home, and then the same again to collect it.
If you consider your time at a very menial $10/hr, that means you are spending $60 of your time there an back, and that's only if there is one of you going. If 2 of you go, that's at least $120 of time ... Have you looked at what it would cost USPS or Fedex insured? Even if it's a bit more it may be worth it ...

That's great news that it can be repaired. It's such a lovely lamp. Now for the hard part... Will you charge the guy who broke it?
I hate these kinds of decisions when I'm faced with them.

Update the guests said they will send a check today. I will let you know if this happens. I contacted them and thanked them for showing me the damage and taking responsibility. If it is the man, I am sure he has it hanging over his head and wants it sorted, the female, whatever... :)

I am just now addressing my very first instance of "damages" for which we are going to charge the guest. This wasn’t one of our B&B bookings, but rather a charter for a day sail, but still...guests are guests regardless of whether they are here for the day or overnight. The charter was a 10-hour day sail for 12 people. They pretty much trashed the boat with spilled sticky mojitos everywhere, three broken door latches, a broken gas shock, and they broke a toilet by flushing a tampon down it, after being explicitly told not to do that and what the consequences would be. These toilets aren't cheap. They are over $1,300 each. What’s worse is that none of them told me it was clogged and just kept using it as it overflowed. I kept checking the toilets while trying to keep up with all the spillage and mess. Fortunately, this happened with only about an hour left in the charter. Those items that are not permitted to be flushed are also posted in the bathroom, and the contract says the charterer has to pay for damages beyond wear and tear. I’ve got more than 5 hours into the repair so far, and I’m still not done. The toilet had to be completely removed, as did some other components below decks in extremely hard to reach places.
As a result of that one day, we also have a whole new contract coming out which will include an Addendum that sets forth our rules which each guest will have to sign upon boarding. The new rules will include things like "you cannot bring your own DJ set up" (due to screaming profanity over a microphone/loud speaker at other boaters and at the sandbar); "you cannot bring your own baked goods" (due to their having brought aboard pot brownies); "excessive drunkenness by any member of your group will end the charter for the entire group at the nearest port with no further obligation and no refund" (due to two girls getting so drunk that they could not even crawl out of the water on their own), etc. Too bad a few bad apples cause us to have to initiate such terms, but, in five years, this was the first of this kind. I am so much smarter now than I was Sunday morning. I have a whole new list of screening questions before I accept a booking.
My business partner suggests that if they don’t pay for the toilet repairs, that I should sue them in small claims court. The person who made the booking is a local.

I am just now addressing my very first instance of "damages" for which we are going to charge the guest. This wasn’t one of our B&B bookings, but rather a charter for a day sail, but still...guests are guests regardless of whether they are here for the day or overnight. The charter was a 10-hour day sail for 12 people. They pretty much trashed the boat with spilled sticky mojitos everywhere, three broken door latches, a broken gas shock, and they broke a toilet by flushing a tampon down it, after being explicitly told not to do that and what the consequences would be. These toilets aren't cheap. They are over $1,300 each. What’s worse is that none of them told me it was clogged and just kept using it as it overflowed. I kept checking the toilets while trying to keep up with all the spillage and mess. Fortunately, this happened with only about an hour left in the charter. Those items that are not permitted to be flushed are also posted in the bathroom, and the contract says the charterer has to pay for damages beyond wear and tear. I’ve got more than 5 hours into the repair so far, and I’m still not done. The toilet had to be completely removed, as did some other components below decks in extremely hard to reach places.
As a result of that one day, we also have a whole new contract coming out which will include an Addendum that sets forth our rules which each guest will have to sign upon boarding. The new rules will include things like "you cannot bring your own DJ set up" (due to screaming profanity over a microphone/loud speaker at other boaters and at the sandbar); "you cannot bring your own baked goods" (due to their having brought aboard pot brownies); "excessive drunkenness by any member of your group will end the charter for the entire group at the nearest port with no further obligation and no refund" (due to two girls getting so drunk that they could not even crawl out of the water on their own), etc. Too bad a few bad apples cause us to have to initiate such terms, but, in five years, this was the first of this kind. I am so much smarter now than I was Sunday morning. I have a whole new list of screening questions before I accept a booking.
My business partner suggests that if they don’t pay for the toilet repairs, that I should sue them in small claims court. The person who made the booking is a local..
All of that is unbelievably bad behavior. Someone else on here sued in small claims court and won. You also might have a good chance with that.

My business partner suggests that if they don’t pay for the toilet repairs, that I should sue them in small claims court. The person who made the booking is a local..
I am soooo sorry you are going through this/ The sad part is, that people like them breed.

Just finished up. Toilet is operational again. Now, I just need to air out the generator room to get the stench out. Sheeesh!!!

What a horrible experience, I'm so sorry you have to deal with people like that.
I just took guests to small claims court and won. Our case wasn't about damage though.
I have learned from hotel owners that if they charge for damage and there is a dispute with a chargeback, the credit card company will side with the card holder. Yes, even though they have signed that they would be responsible for damage. The credit card company tells them to take it to small claims.
You must weigh the pros and cons of taking them to court. It was very stressful and against my nature, but it became a case of principle and not the money.
Hopefully they will honor their commitment to you and pay up. Personal responsibility is a rarity these days I'm afraid.
cry_smile.gif

Back