Guests Smoke Weed In Room

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melissam

Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering how long you can wait before contacting a guest about damages to the room? We had some guests that sat in a private cottage and smoked weed or some other drug the entire weekend. We were hoping that it would air out but has not and it is now Wed. We are now having to cancel reservations because we can not allow guests to stay in this room until this issue is fixed. What would you do?

Do you have a policy in place that covers this? IE - did the guest sign anything indicating the smoking policy was in force and that they would be charged for damages or loss of revenue?
Have you stripped the room bare and washed everything washable? Wiped down walls and furniture? Carpet cleaned? Used any kind of room refresher like an ionizer or enzyme spray?
You can send the guests a bill. If weed is not legal you can also call the police and file a report that you can use to make a claim against your insurance. Of course, you can't prove they smoked, all you have is the smell. They can deny any responsibility.
We sometimes have an issue with a damp smell. Most guests never notice it. You may be extremely sensitive to the smell because you're looking for it. Ask someone else to take a sniff without leading them to what they might smell. See if they notice it.

Is it in your written policies that guests signed? ... if not, I don't know that you can do anything about damages (and get it in your policies right away.) Is it illegal to smoke weed where you are?
All you could call it is cleaning after smoking without having seen what they smoked ... did you see them? It gets in the upholstery, curtains, carpet, everything. Sorry this happened.

I've been assured that "Microbial Febreeze" (not the same as the regular Febreeze) does the trick for getting the smell of cigarettes and/or weed out of a room.
Hope that helps,
DRG

I've been assured that "Microbial Febreeze" (not the same as the regular Febreeze) does the trick for getting the smell of cigarettes and/or weed out of a room.
Hope that helps,
DRG.
ChefDRG said:
Hope that helps,
DRG
Wow! $100/bottle!

We purchased an Ozone machine and it worlds awesome for issues like this. Every once in awhile we have people who smoke in a cabin or they are smokers and just leave the place smelling bad. You can do a treatment and return the room to normal the same day.
They run about $350 but will pay for itself the first time you can clear the smell and not have to cancel a reservation.
For a cheaper way you can fry up some bacon in the cabin. Yes, bacon. You are trading one smell for another. But a bacon smell would be acceptable smell for a cabin. Unless the people coming in are vegetarians. Haha. But my first choice is the Ozone machine.
Good luck!

Hope that helps,
DRG.
ChefDRG said:
Hope that helps,
DRG
Wow! $100/bottle!
I can sell you as many as you want for $5. They have them at Wally World here. But I would use Magic Zymes anyway.

Hope that helps,
DRG.
ChefDRG said:
Hope that helps,
DRG
Wow! $100/bottle!
My mistake--it's "antimicrobial febreeze" and it's only $5 at my local grocery store.
I'm not sure what's up with that listing--wow. College kids use it for this purpose--so you know it's got to be affordable.
DRG

Brownies. Bake brownies or chocolate chip cookies in the room. It's the smell most people want to smell when they walk into a room or house. They'll never notice any other smell.

Brownies. Bake brownies or chocolate chip cookies in the room. It's the smell most people want to smell when they walk into a room or house. They'll never notice any other smell..
PhineasSwann said:
Brownies. Bake brownies or chocolate chip cookies in the room. It's the smell most people want to smell when they walk into a room or house. They'll never notice any other smell.

Or Pizza

We purchased an Ozone machine and it worlds awesome for issues like this. Every once in awhile we have people who smoke in a cabin or they are smokers and just leave the place smelling bad. You can do a treatment and return the room to normal the same day.
They run about $350 but will pay for itself the first time you can clear the smell and not have to cancel a reservation.
For a cheaper way you can fry up some bacon in the cabin. Yes, bacon. You are trading one smell for another. But a bacon smell would be acceptable smell for a cabin. Unless the people coming in are vegetarians. Haha. But my first choice is the Ozone machine.
Good luck!.
I too have bought the ozone machine. It works great ! Love it so much. I had a men who used a very strong after shave My room was so soaked in his after shave , that no ,matter what I used it never could remove his smell. So a pond a friend telling me about the fan I said ok I will give it a try. Hey it paid for it self In one season. Not only odor wise but it kept our room clear of pollen and dust in the air.

Good luck!.
I too have bought the ozone machine. It works great ! Love it so much. I had a men who used a very strong after shave My room was so soaked in his after shave , that no ,matter what I used it never could remove his smell. So a pond a friend telling me about the fan I said ok I will give it a try. Hey it paid for it self In one season. Not only odor wise but it kept our room clear of pollen and dust in the air.
Don't use it too often. A friend of ours had one and it caused deterioration of something and now I can't remember what it was.. Plastics???

Brownies. Bake brownies or chocolate chip cookies in the room. It's the smell most people want to smell when they walk into a room or house. They'll never notice any other smell..
I was always told that Brownies and Weed go together. Those of us from the Woodstock generation have been lead to believe that the brownie hide the taste, so maybe the smell as well???? That is what I have heard.Just saying ;-)

Check with a local realtor. They usually have a line on Ozone machines. They rent for like $30 a week here.

Well this person has never checked back in to any of our replies. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Well this person has never checked back in to any of our replies. So I wouldn't worry about it..
EmptyNest said:
Well this person has never checked back in to any of our replies. So I wouldn't worry about it.
Yes, I keep an eye out for that too. It happens a lot!

Well this person has never checked back in to any of our replies. So I wouldn't worry about it..
EmptyNest said:
They may have read the responses without logging in. But a 'thank you!' would have been appropriate.
Perhaps the guests left their stash? ;-)

I'm like that too sometimes. I visit the site in fits and spurts. Hence why I reply to old threads, hahah...
The fact that I have to login each visit, and the site required a password so different than my usual setup (I use a different password for every site, but this one wanted it even more unique than usual), it drove me crazy for a while.

I'm like that too sometimes. I visit the site in fits and spurts. Hence why I reply to old threads, hahah...
The fact that I have to login each visit, and the site required a password so different than my usual setup (I use a different password for every site, but this one wanted it even more unique than usual), it drove me crazy for a while.
LogCabinResort said:
So, this is your one year anniversary visit back to the site? ;-)

LogCabinResort said:
So, this is your one year anniversary visit back to the site? ;-)
Why yes, yes it is. See you in another year :)

Back