Have you had people with metal detectors?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumitru

Reaction score
For a couple of years I have been thinking about practicing metal detecting as a hobby.
I'm even considering this hobby as a factor in finding the perfect place to relocate to (sometimes in 2014).
In my quest for inspiration, I have found many videos on Youtube with people detecting in UK and US.
So I was wondering: have you had such enthusiasts on your property? Do you hear about them often, did you get any requests from them?

Why would we let someone with a metal detector come to our B& B and search our property? No thank you.
I don't really understand what you are thinking about or perhaps you have a vision of our properties which is very different from what they are.
Around here people search old farm land for arrowheads and other Indian artifacts. But they must seek permission to do so.

We have had guests who bring their metal detector to use on the beach. Only once did a guest say he'd love to come back and detect on our property. I thought it would be kind of fun since we have many acres and a historic old house that the original occupants would have thrown many things down a glory hole or buried junk which now could be collectables.

This is a new one! We've never had anyone do this here (maybe they brought a detector but left it in the car).
My son had one. I think it might still be kicking around here somewhere! For years my mom could never remember what it was called and kept asking if we ever got the Geiger counter set up!

They did a lot of excavation behind my 112 year old building during the rehab and 95% of the old stuff they found underground was glass, mostly whiskey bottles, that wouldn't show up with a metal detector.

I've seen and read about people "detecting" on old paths, near old buildings, on farms where the owner can say that "right there was something, but we tore it down".
They usually ask for permissions, the small wholes that they dig up are always filled back in... and as a bonus, they take out all the nails, bottle caps, cans and other stuff that is just sitting in the ground. I believe that the detectors have a max range of about 10 inches, so it's not like they dig up 2-meter holes.
Many are detecting around lakes and inside them, as they find quite a lot of jewelry in them... so if you have water around... market this on your website :D

my sister is an enthusiast _ could be a package ie you get permission from a local farmer for them to do a field he is going to plough next week etc

Any one seen with a metal detector in our immediate area would get the Feds coming in pronto. This is a very rich archeological site according to the National Park Service. Metal detecting is strictly verboten. Of course, what we find on our own personal property is another matter.
wink_smile.gif

During the initial phase of renovation here we had one find that got us on "If wall could talk", the PBS show about the unusual things people find when renovating old houses. We still have it...use out for show and tell. It creates quiet a stir at breakfast...when conversation lags, or we have a particularly quiet group at the table, this object never fails to liven things up. It also spurs on guests who want to learn more about the history of the house and area....many of them sign up for the free tour of the whaling captain's house across the street because their interest has been piqued.
Very early on we had one guest who had a metal detector but we put an end to his search immediately. Of course, what happens under the cover of darkness no one can say, but I would not advise you to take that route.

Any one seen with a metal detector in our immediate area would get the Feds coming in pronto. This is a very rich archeological site according to the National Park Service. Metal detecting is strictly verboten. Of course, what we find on our own personal property is another matter.
wink_smile.gif

During the initial phase of renovation here we had one find that got us on "If wall could talk", the PBS show about the unusual things people find when renovating old houses. We still have it...use out for show and tell. It creates quiet a stir at breakfast...when conversation lags, or we have a particularly quiet group at the table, this object never fails to liven things up. It also spurs on guests who want to learn more about the history of the house and area....many of them sign up for the free tour of the whaling captain's house across the street because their interest has been piqued.
Very early on we had one guest who had a metal detector but we put an end to his search immediately. Of course, what happens under the cover of darkness no one can say, but I would not advise you to take that route..
I think that makes THREE inns on this forum who were on If Walls Could Talk! (that I know of) COOL!
There is a permit you can get for metal detecting in heritage areas, such as national or state parks/seashores. It is usually only allowed in areas that have been disturbed. Not battlefields or historic sites.

wink_smile.gif

Very early on we had one guest who had a metal detector but we put an end to his search immediately. Of course, what happens under the cover of darkness no one can say, but I would not advise you to take that route..
Ok, now I am curious - what is this special world-renowned "find"?

wink_smile.gif

K9 said:
If you Google Silverspoon's town name and about the talking walls, you'll probably find it. (too big to miss, in a way)

wink_smile.gif

Wasn't that show on HGTV? Pretty sure it was :)

wink_smile.gif

Wasn't that show on HGTV? Pretty sure it was :)
Oh yea, HGTV not PBS...can you tell I don't watch TV? LOL

wink_smile.gif

That's a good idea for a FB post. I'll take a picture and post it there.

They did a lot of excavation behind my 112 year old building during the rehab and 95% of the old stuff they found underground was glass, mostly whiskey bottles, that wouldn't show up with a metal detector..
We found great old bottles too, most of them whisky or other potions. My favorite is the blue-green "Magee's Emulsion, Lawrence, Mass by J.A. Magee & Co". I can only imagine the potion it used to contain. Snake Oil anyone?
tounge_smile.gif

They did a lot of excavation behind my 112 year old building during the rehab and 95% of the old stuff they found underground was glass, mostly whiskey bottles, that wouldn't show up with a metal detector..
We found great old bottles too, most of them whisky or other potions. My favorite is the blue-green "Magee's Emulsion, Lawrence, Mass by J.A. Magee & Co". I can only imagine the potion it used to contain. Snake Oil anyone?
tounge_smile.gif

Original owner here was the town pharmacist. We've got bottles from the shop with his name on them. Yes, snake oil!

tounge_smile.gif

I have a collection of local old RX bottles here as well. It is fun to collect them, I use them as VASES for a posy or daisy in a guest room if I want to just add one flower say in the bathroom. The blue bottles, like your Magee's would be perfect for that! (maybe you already do that) it is just...I am one of those people who like to USE the old things we have, vs display them. Bad enough to have to dust them all the time. :)
When I collected sea glass that was my thang, the pink were typically either pharmacy or perfume bottles, red are ships lanterns, etc etc. We don't have that around here, obv, but in the PacNW it with the high tides and SUPER TIDES as they were called, you really had some great sea glass on the rocky beaches, at low tide!
This seaglass was not worthy, it was a treasure hunt to find the really unique pieces like orange and red! I always wanted to make jewelry from it, just because it was a treasure hunt as I mentioned, and then you could make something neat and sell it like this. or like this (not FAKE seaglass made in a tumbler) More here. and then there is pottery from sunken ships, etc. here.

tounge_smile.gif

I have a collection of local old RX bottles here as well. It is fun to collect them, I use them as VASES for a posy or daisy in a guest room if I want to just add one flower say in the bathroom. The blue bottles, like your Magee's would be perfect for that! (maybe you already do that) it is just...I am one of those people who like to USE the old things we have, vs display them. Bad enough to have to dust them all the time. :)
When I collected sea glass that was my thang, the pink were typically either pharmacy or perfume bottles, red are ships lanterns, etc etc. We don't have that around here, obv, but in the PacNW it with the high tides and SUPER TIDES as they were called, you really had some great sea glass on the rocky beaches, at low tide!
This seaglass was not worthy, it was a treasure hunt to find the really unique pieces like orange and red! I always wanted to make jewelry from it, just because it was a treasure hunt as I mentioned, and then you could make something neat and sell it like this. or like this (not FAKE seaglass made in a tumbler) More here. and then there is pottery from sunken ships, etc. here.
I do use those old bottles, even the old amber, which are some of my favorites. We don't find nearly as much sea glass as we did 20 years ago...seems like everyone is using plastic bottles now so there is not nearly as much sea-tumbled glass as there used to be. Like you, I do love it and have small pieces of red, amber and light blue on my window sill next to my beach stone collection. So although I don't get to the beach as often as I would like, I can always look at my collection of beach objects to remind me of where I am!

tounge_smile.gif

Original owner here was the town pharmacist. We've got bottles from the shop with his name on them. Yes, snake oil!
Those should stay with the house...priceless history!

Back