Have you had people with metal detectors?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They did a lot of excavation behind my 112 year old building during the rehab and 95% of the old stuff they found underground was glass, mostly whiskey bottles, that wouldn't show up with a metal detector..
We found great old bottles too, most of them whisky or other potions. My favorite is the blue-green "Magee's Emulsion, Lawrence, Mass by J.A. Magee & Co". I can only imagine the potion it used to contain. Snake Oil anyone?
tounge_smile.gif

I have a collection of local old RX bottles here as well. It is fun to collect them, I use them as VASES for a posy or daisy in a guest room if I want to just add one flower say in the bathroom. The blue bottles, like your Magee's would be perfect for that! (maybe you already do that) it is just...I am one of those people who like to USE the old things we have, vs display them. Bad enough to have to dust them all the time. :)
When I collected sea glass that was my thang, the pink were typically either pharmacy or perfume bottles, red are ships lanterns, etc etc. We don't have that around here, obv, but in the PacNW it with the high tides and SUPER TIDES as they were called, you really had some great sea glass on the rocky beaches, at low tide!
This seaglass was not worthy, it was a treasure hunt to find the really unique pieces like orange and red! I always wanted to make jewelry from it, just because it was a treasure hunt as I mentioned, and then you could make something neat and sell it like this. or like this (not FAKE seaglass made in a tumbler) More here. and then there is pottery from sunken ships, etc. here.
I do use those old bottles, even the old amber, which are some of my favorites. We don't find nearly as much sea glass as we did 20 years ago...seems like everyone is using plastic bottles now so there is not nearly as much sea-tumbled glass as there used to be. Like you, I do love it and have small pieces of red, amber and light blue on my window sill next to my beach stone collection. So although I don't get to the beach as often as I would like, I can always look at my collection of beach objects to remind me of where I am!
Silverspoon said:
I do use those old bottles, even the old amber, which are some of my favorites. We don't find nearly as much sea glass as we did 20 years ago...seems like everyone is using plastic bottles now so there is not nearly as much sea-tumbled glass as there used to be. Like you, I do love it and have small pieces of red, amber and light blue on my window sill next to my beach stone collection. So although I don't get to the beach as often as I would like, I can always look at my collection of beach objects to remind me of where I am!
Well in all fairness, have you heard of the sea-glass beach in calf? AKA Fort Bragg. It is THAT because it was used as a garbage dump!
So finding sea-glass now is rare (unless you are overseas in some Asian countries). We are happy it is rare, very happy about that!
thumbs_up.gif

They did a lot of excavation behind my 112 year old building during the rehab and 95% of the old stuff they found underground was glass, mostly whiskey bottles, that wouldn't show up with a metal detector..
We found great old bottles too, most of them whisky or other potions. My favorite is the blue-green "Magee's Emulsion, Lawrence, Mass by J.A. Magee & Co". I can only imagine the potion it used to contain. Snake Oil anyone?
tounge_smile.gif

I have a collection of local old RX bottles here as well. It is fun to collect them, I use them as VASES for a posy or daisy in a guest room if I want to just add one flower say in the bathroom. The blue bottles, like your Magee's would be perfect for that! (maybe you already do that) it is just...I am one of those people who like to USE the old things we have, vs display them. Bad enough to have to dust them all the time. :)
When I collected sea glass that was my thang, the pink were typically either pharmacy or perfume bottles, red are ships lanterns, etc etc. We don't have that around here, obv, but in the PacNW it with the high tides and SUPER TIDES as they were called, you really had some great sea glass on the rocky beaches, at low tide!
This seaglass was not worthy, it was a treasure hunt to find the really unique pieces like orange and red! I always wanted to make jewelry from it, just because it was a treasure hunt as I mentioned, and then you could make something neat and sell it like this. or like this (not FAKE seaglass made in a tumbler) More here. and then there is pottery from sunken ships, etc. here.
We have a guest who is a sea glass nut. He's had jewelry made and has quite the collection. Unfortunately, I think he collects just to amass stuff, not because he really likes it but to be sure he has all of it there is to get. At least that's the impression I get from talking with him.

Latest posts

Back