Have your summer 2009 reservations started to come in?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
just wondering ... projecting ....
the b&b i left has only 2 reservations for the coming summer ... these were made last year.
in mid january, for the past three years, reservations started to trickle in. a few more in february, etc. with most reservations about 6 to 8 weeks in advance. this is just a seasonal place - memorial day to columbus day.
i noticed a recent discussion of wedding inquiries so i wondered about your outlook for summer. maybe it's way to early to tell.

I really think it is too early to tell. AND...saying that...I SURE HOPE YOU AREN"T BEING LURED BACK THERE!!!!! DO NOT DO IT!!!!!

We don't accept reservations for the coming year until January of the year....no calls on Jan 1, but on Jan 2 the phone started ringing. Snapped me out of vacation mode and into scrambling to get my openings listed on the website so people will stop calling LOL.
Still to soon to for me to say much one way or the other about travel trends for the coming season.

Just a trickle. Most of the bookings I have now for summer were made as guests left last year. I'm getting wedding bookings, tho, so at least some couples are getting their info out there early.
(Some Feb bookings would be nice...)

For us we have some graduation bookings for May and that is it so far!
Last year the bookings mostly came in late in the game and I think this year will be the same. Which, odd to hear an innkeeper say, is PREFERRED imo. I never look at bookings that far in advance as guaranteed, in fact most of them are the opposite in my experience. I prefer the bookings to come in closer to the dates themselves.

Last year the bookings mostly came in late in the game and I think this year will be the same. Which, odd to hear an innkeeper say, is PREFERRED imo. I never look at bookings that far in advance as guaranteed, in fact most of them are the opposite in my experience. I prefer the bookings to come in closer to the dates themselves..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Last year the bookings mostly came in late in the game and I think this year will be the same. Which, odd to hear an innkeeper say, is PREFERRED imo. I never look at bookings that far in advance as guaranteed, in fact most of them are the opposite in my experience. I prefer the bookings to come in closer to the dates themselves.
I agree. The far out bookings seem to be placeholding and waiting to see if they find something better.

I have a package booked for June and a honeymoon booked for July (2-nights a donated package and 2 night paid - my bed destroyer is returning!) but had an inquiry for MountainFest in late July that sounds like it will be whole house IF it materializes. My reservations usually come no more than 1 month out and often less. I like at least a week notice but same morning works as long as I have time to get fresh fruit and restock the egg supply (and refresh the upstairs).

I just replied to this thread and then got a booking with add on package for one night stay in the middle of August!
Given it is that far in advance, would you...run the deposit?

I just replied to this thread and then got a booking with add on package for one night stay in the middle of August!
Given it is that far in advance, would you...run the deposit?.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Given it is that far in advance, would you...run the deposit?
What is your policy? If your policy is to run the deposit on booking, then that is what the folks are expecting you to do. Don't surprise them a week ahead and run it then, they may run very close to the bone on the cc payments! The sounds of relief I hear when I say we don't do depoists always make me wonder if the card will be any good when they show!
If I have an add-on package I DO run that as soon as the materials for the pkg are purchased. I'm not getting stuck with a b'day cake or whatever. (Usually a week out is when I do that, even tho I don't get the cake until the day of.)

Off this topic...did you meet any innkeepers up your way who you would recommend for me to do the inn to inn pkg with this year? That was such a good idea last year, I'd like to expand on it. I've tried making contact with a couple of innkeepers I've met in person, but no takers. Which, of course, makes me wonder if I smell bad or something.
wink_smile.gif

I hate to keep contacting them if they are really not interested in working with me. Sometimes, tho, you know this state...last minute Larry.

I really think it is too early to tell. AND...saying that...I SURE HOPE YOU AREN"T BEING LURED BACK THERE!!!!! DO NOT DO IT!!!!!.
We have bookings for this month B&B and wine tours for about 8 nights and 7 tours and Valentine's Day is booked for B&B and wine tours. Graduation in May is booked and a one night stay and wine tour package in May.
Riki

My summers are our slow season especially July - mid. Sept due to Hurricane season and the heat. So unless there is a wedding or another event, I would be utterly shocked at reservations being made for that time frame in January. I do have reservations through Memorial Day but only a few here and there other than group bookings.
I have the same experience on bookings made a year in advance. Most do cancel. I have made a point to contact them 4 months prior to their stay to see how I stand. I usually use the excuse that I am verifying their CC information.
Regarding deposits: My policy is that I take the deposit 14 days prior to check in (30 days for event/holidays), that way there are no issues with crediting for cancellations. If they cancel within the 14 days, I only refund if the room is filled for the full time of their reservation. This has saved me $ in fees.

We have college graduation weekend bookings already for May 2009. Nothing else in advance (yet)

yes they are trickeling in online. I have Jan, Feb, March, May, July and October so far. Just a few here and there. Will you be running a different B & B Seashanty?

hey oceans! (love that name)
i have some 'irons in the fire' so to speak. i will let you know.

I think one of the reasons people book so far ahead of time is to avoid an increase in rates. They want to lock into the current rates.

Dead of summer is actually our off season here, like Copperhead. I have a wedding weekend in May with all our rooms booked. Other than that (and a donated room night in April), I have nothing past February yet. Things are very quiet here post holiday season so we are taking a week to get projects done.
I think we'll be seeing people book fairly close to their anticipated arrival date with the economy the way it is.

I think one of the reasons people book so far ahead of time is to avoid an increase in rates. They want to lock into the current rates..
TLE041 said:
I think one of the reasons people book so far ahead of time is to avoid an increase in rates. They want to lock into the current rates.
I'm curious about that comment...my 2009 summer rates are in place now, they were in place in 2008. Why would a guest think that by booking now, they are getting a deal? To populate the rez calendar, I have to have prices in place so I work them out a year in advance.
What about the rest of you- do most places only set their prices a couple of months in advance?

I think one of the reasons people book so far ahead of time is to avoid an increase in rates. They want to lock into the current rates..
TLE041 said:
I'm curious about that comment...my 2009 summer rates are in place now, they were in place in 2008. Why would a guest think that by booking now, they are getting a deal? To populate the rez calendar, I have to have prices in place so I work them out a year in advance.
What about the rest of you- do most places only set their prices a couple of months in advance?
I just went in and changed my rate on the pvt bath guestroom 2 days ago. I raied it $4 so now it ends in a 9. The shared rooms stayed the same and 3nd in a 5. Increased the diff in the rates between the ahared and pvt a bit more. Now I will see if it makes a difference to anything other than my wallet. Anyone who has inquired already will get the pre-raise rate. There have been just a few. I was thinking of standing pat, but decided to go ahead and see what happens.

Back