Hello! New Innkeepeers here!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, you know Gomez, everything takes longer for him. It’s an hour just to go to the store everyday. Then an hour to cut up the fruit. An hour and a half to serve. An hour to clean up.
Slow and Steady wins the race - That's Margie's motto

Welcome! World of info here. 1. We thought my wife and I could do it all..nope. 2. keep it simple as possible. 3.you can't be everything to everyone so find your niche.4.if it's breaking replace it and buy a second for back up.5. Youtube is one of your best friends and Good Luck!

Welcome! World of info here. 1. We thought my wife and I could do it all..nope. 2. keep it simple as possible. 3.you can't be everything to everyone so find your niche.4.if it's breaking replace it and buy a second for back up.5. Youtube is one of your best friends and Good Luck!
I’m learning the “buy a second for back up” quickly! I won’t feel comfortable until I’m basically a hoarder, lol! Thanks for the advice!

I’m learning the “buy a second for back up” quickly!
And there is the first official piece of advice you've shared with others! Welcome to the group.

We have a backup of mostly everything that a guest can destroy or lose, from soap dispensers to towels to keys to coffee makers.

That's good planning! We do the same thing for All supplies - food - low on eggs and ham - put it on the list - napkins running low - list it!
Pledge - last bottle - list it! We have very little problems with STOCK as long as we are religiously placing items on the list immediately when noticed. Skip the procedure = forget the item. KISS it. Keep It Simple Stupid. Sound to easy but IT WORKS!!!

4 units by myself, 2 stand-alones, 2 inn rooms with breakfast included. Other meals by request. Food service is a huge time drain, so if not needed, or you don't enjoy it - avoid. I'm in the middle of almost nowhere, so food service is a nice alternative for guests. I do like doing it. Maybe not so much at the end of August! This forum saved us from numerous mistakes and is a huge factor in our success. I discovered it many years ago while an aspiring. It was great to soak up a lot of wisdom and humor while taking breaks from a job I was not so fond of. Hours now are actually longer in high season, but I'm not nearly ready to hang it up yet! Hugs and best wishes.

Last edited:
How exciting to have a space to go and interact with other B&B hosts and innkeepers!

My husband and I took over a log cabin “motel” in Michigan’s upper peninsula back in January 2021. We opened in March, but half of the building was closed as we made updates and repairs. Over the winter we will be shutting down the front rooms to update those as well. Our little inn has 9 rooms that are heavy on the log cabin aesthetic. We are trying to build an experience, not just provide a room. We are in a very small town. You have to drive over the Mackinac Bridge to get to the upper peninsula, and we are nestled between national forest and Lake Huron. The town is a tourist town and is absolutely booming. We had absolutely no idea what to expect. We are just starting out month two of “busy season”….only three more extremely busy months to go! I need a six month nap. How do you all do it??

I was up late last night waiting for our last check in when I found this forum. There is so much work that goes into running an inn, especially when you only have one or two people. For us, my husband and I do everything. It’s exhausting! So kudos to all of you who are also just starting out and to those of you who have been in it for the long run! You get all of my
How are you guys doing now that you have been there for a while, if you need any help or pointers let us know we are always will to help out our fellow Innkeepers
Sherry and Ron

How are you guys doing now that you have been there for a while, if you need any help or pointers let us know we are always will to help out our fellow Innkeepers
Sherry and Ron
Things are going well, business is great and the property is amazing. problem is my mom has dementia and sundowners and it is so difficult to run the property and care for her. We are in desperate need for an Innkeeper without the cooking responsibilities. Our property has a self check in and check out process and no money collection for an inn keeper and I can do all the behind the scenes work and care of the finances etc I need help on where to go to find a property manager to run our small property so I can care for my mom off site.

Things are going well, business is great and the property is amazing. problem is my mom has dementia and sundowners and it is so difficult to run the property and care for her. We are in desperate need for an Innkeeper without the cooking responsibilities. Our property has a self check in and check out process and no money collection for an inn keeper and I can do all the behind the scenes work and care of the finances etc I need help on where to go to find a property manager to run our small property so I can care for my mom off site.
Welcome, Sherry and Ron. Thanks for joining, and sorry about your mom's condition. I hope you'll be able to find a competent Innkeeper in no time. Glad that your business is doing great, have you been in innkeeping for quite some time now?:)

Welcome to the world of innkeepers! Be yourself and enjoy the ride!

@Generic His going to the store everyday was his way to get out of the house. We only had the one fridge/freezer so it kind of had to happen anyway. He still does that. Goes to the store almost everyday for stuff for dinner. It’s easier now as it’s close enough to walk where we’re living.
That's where I met all the other innkeepers.... In front of the fruit section.

Back