Homestead Dinner Head Count

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Just found out that unlike most restaurants I have ever encountered (I guess I only go to cheapo places) there is a $25 PER PERSON NO SHOW charge at the Homestead Dining Room and space is filling up. I was going to reserve for 12 @ 6:30 until I saw that - called and confirmed there will be a $50 charge if only 10 show up.
I have no problem making a reservation for us for dinner, but REALLY need to know how many to reserve for. A 24 hour notice is required to make changes without charge. It did not sound as if they would just add a place either.
PLEASE e-mail me with who and how many to be sure.

Is this for Sunday evening? I'll check with Chris tonight.
RIki

Why oh why can't they hold this conference in Roanoke is beyond me. Easy roads, highways, interstates, lodgings, and dozens of restaurants of all price ranges within walking distance.
sorry thought I would toss a gripe in there for no other reason than to grip. LOL
back to my other work now...

Is this for Sunday evening? I'll check with Chris tonight.
RIki.
Forgot to say no, that is not a common thing to charge for cancellation or no show unless it's during a special event like Graduation Weekend or Valentines Day here. Just goes to show the expensive places are suffering during this slower economy, or if you look at the steak prices they can't afford to lose a reservation and have a seat go empty.
The popular places here don't worry about it or don't take reservations. But then again, only a couple in this town charge those steak prices. Wowser!
RIki

Why oh why can't they hold this conference in Roanoke is beyond me. Easy roads, highways, interstates, lodgings, and dozens of restaurants of all price ranges within walking distance.
sorry thought I would toss a gripe in there for no other reason than to grip. LOL
back to my other work now....
Joey Bloggs said:
back to my other work now...
And I would love a chance to check out Roanoke too!!!!!
RIki

Just throwing this in there as a 'how to scare guests off'- have a $25 fee to cancel a dinner rez. It's one thing to hold a room for someone, but a chair? Is this place so bad that they don't get enough walk-in traffic to cover one or two people not showing up?

Just throwing this in there as a 'how to scare guests off'- have a $25 fee to cancel a dinner rez. It's one thing to hold a room for someone, but a chair? Is this place so bad that they don't get enough walk-in traffic to cover one or two people not showing up?.
Morticia said:
Just throwing this in there as a 'how to scare guests off'- have a $25 fee to cancel a dinner rez. It's one thing to hold a room for someone, but a chair? Is this place so bad that they don't get enough walk-in traffic to cover one or two people not showing up?
They are in the middle of nowhere from what I understand, and overpriced so they want to be damn sure you're coming to take a reservation. How big is this conference that they say they are running out of space in the off season???
RIki

Just throwing this in there as a 'how to scare guests off'- have a $25 fee to cancel a dinner rez. It's one thing to hold a room for someone, but a chair? Is this place so bad that they don't get enough walk-in traffic to cover one or two people not showing up?.
Morticia said:
No, it is a total golf resort. (Thus the Sam Snead part) Just an fyi the B&B fore sale right next to it, I mean RIGHT ON THE ROAD has been for sale for at least 7 years that I know of... this place

Morticia said:
No, it is a total golf resort. (Thus the Sam Snead part) Just an fyi the B&B fore sale right next to it, I mean RIGHT ON THE ROAD has been for sale for at least 7 years that I know of... this place
Yeah but WHO is playing golf in 10 degree weather??? I think the conference are the only people there for the most part. I still wonder why they bothered to have it in the middle of nowhere..but it is lots better than the place at Natural Bridge...yuk.

Sneads will probably be better for us. I thought at first it was a beer/burger albeit way over-priced until I checked the menu. Over-priced as expected but at least it does have real meals.

And it is not a pre-order so they still do not know what is going to be wanted. It scared me off I'll tell ya!

And it is not a pre-order so they still do not know what is going to be wanted. It scared me off I'll tell ya!
gillumhouse said:
Esp since you invited the big cheese and would have to pay for his as well, whether or not he showed. I just don't get it, I know "those" who are not innkeepers can tell us they do their best blah blah blah but who can afford to do that at a conference, I would much rather spend it on my time how I want to. Is it due to being able to deduct these expenses for business?
Surely there are better places with more options and OFF resort dining available for the innkeepers. It is just one of those "they don't get it yet do they" things to me. Most innkeepers are not wealthy.

gillumhouse said:
Esp since you invited the big cheese and would have to pay for his as well, whether or not he showed. I just don't get it, I know "those" who are not innkeepers can tell us they do their best blah blah blah but who can afford to do that at a conference, I would much rather spend it on my time how I want to. Is it due to being able to deduct these expenses for business?
Surely there are better places with more options and OFF resort dining available for the innkeepers. It is just one of those "they don't get it yet do they" things to me. Most innkeepers are not wealthy.
Pete is a former innkeeper so should know how expenses get us. And even as a biz enpenses, we still have to shell it out. I also would have been happier going to Roanoke, I am accustomed to driving on hills & mountains but prefer NOT to in January in the snow. I also do not like being held hostage to the hotel restaurant because of lack of options. See previous sentence.

I would definitely make it at Sam Snead's - the other places also require jackets for the guys and no denim allowed. Hopefully Snead's does not although it wouldn't hurt to ask.
I would underestimate - I wouldn't count on Tedwin and Chris yet. Unfortunately I have a little of the same problem. We should be there in time but since we can't leave until late Sunday a.m. I'd rather not have you hold a place for me. If you think they can add seats at the last minute, go with fewer and hope we can add on.

Posted twice to make sure everyone sees it:
I just called a B&B in Hot Springs - the Vine Cottage - to see if I could get a local recommendation. With Sunday night, our options are limited but the Gristmill in Warm Springs is open. The prices are more reasonable but it is about a 5-mile drive from the Homestead. Just an option to think about.
The Country Cafe would be a good choice in Hot Springs but it is closed on Sundays. Riki - we should go there on Tuesday night - we'll be tired of the fancy dining by then.
P.S. The Vine Cottage innkeeper - John, I think - was extremely gracious and helpful. A good place to stay in Hot Springs!!

Posted twice to make sure everyone sees it:
I just called a B&B in Hot Springs - the Vine Cottage - to see if I could get a local recommendation. With Sunday night, our options are limited but the Gristmill in Warm Springs is open. The prices are more reasonable but it is about a 5-mile drive from the Homestead. Just an option to think about.
The Country Cafe would be a good choice in Hot Springs but it is closed on Sundays. Riki - we should go there on Tuesday night - we'll be tired of the fancy dining by then.
P.S. The Vine Cottage innkeeper - John, I think - was extremely gracious and helpful. A good place to stay in Hot Springs!!.
I have no objection to driving 5 miles. And we could always carpool. I just do not want to drive another 30 min to get to dinner and then another 30 minutes back. Plus I MIGHT just pop for a glass of wine. I can go 5 miles after a glass of wine.

Morticia said:
If anyone is staying at the Vine Cottage instead of the Homestead (or was that not an option?) please report back - I would be interested to know if it looks like it is worth the price they are asking - it looks a little dated on-line.

Just got an e-mail from Jay - he is planning to join us. I told him we are going to the Gristmill. Will look them up in the morning and make a rez.

Back