housekeeper responsibilities?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MooseTrax said:
what sorts of things do you have your housekeeper doing when the rooms are finished and you want to make sure she gets her hours in so she doesn't look for other work?
Let's see.....DW has me doing the windows, the yard and acreage, the website, the bookkeeping......Ooooh, you mean those B&Bs that can afford to hire a housekeeper. It must me nice..
Well, I've joined the ranks of innkeepers who hire housekeepers. I'm lovin' it. This year we had enough inquiries that we got to pick. So far, so good.

MooseTrax said:
what sorts of things do you have your housekeeper doing when the rooms are finished and you want to make sure she gets her hours in so she doesn't look for other work?
Let's see.....DW has me doing the windows, the yard and acreage, the website, the bookkeeping......Ooooh, you mean those B&Bs that can afford to hire a housekeeper. It must me nice..
I couldn't afford not to hire someone to help me out part-time. It's cheaper than a chiropracter, mental health hospital, spa, or hospital stay
wink_smile.gif

MooseTrax said:
I couldn't afford not to hire someone to help me out part-time. It's cheaper than a chiropracter, mental health hospital, spa, or hospital stay
wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
We have, I think, found a lady who will work for us part time right now. She has her own cleaning business so I don't have to hire an employee which I like. Today will be her first day to turn our rooms for us. I have my fingers crossed.
She also works at another local inn part time, so might turn out to be good!
Riki

MooseTrax said:
wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
We have, I think, found a lady who will work for us part time right now. She has her own cleaning business so I don't have to hire an employee which I like. Today will be her first day to turn our rooms for us. I have my fingers crossed.
Riki
Yay! That is what I like about my housekeeper help - she's an independent cleaning contractor. She stopped by for just an hour & a half today and helped me finish my last room from the weekend. It totally made my day go better just to have that little bit of help. I hope you find the same thing too! :)

MooseTrax said:
wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Riki
Yay! That is what I like about my housekeeper help - she's an independent cleaning contractor. She stopped by for just an hour & a half today and helped me finish my last room from the weekend. It totally made my day go better just to have that little bit of help. I hope you find the same thing too! :)
Samster said:
Oh I think I'm lucky with this one.. DH said she called that she would be 45 minutes late - she had a job before me which was also a first time and they had the nerve to have her clean while a household of family was visiting so she had to move stuff in every room to clean and put it back. That's rude...
She did a fantastic job of the two rooms - deep cleaned and sparkly! I'm blessed! DH was able to work in the vineyard so all were happy! Cross my fingers I can keep her happy!!!
Riki

MooseTrax said:
wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Riki
Samster said:
Oh I think I'm lucky with this one.. DH said she called that she would be 45 minutes late - she had a job before me which was also a first time and they had the nerve to have her clean while a household of family was visiting so she had to move stuff in every room to clean and put it back. That's rude...
She did a fantastic job of the two rooms - deep cleaned and sparkly! I'm blessed! DH was able to work in the vineyard so all were happy! Cross my fingers I can keep her happy!!!
Riki
I always have extra baked treats for my housekeeper :) I pay her well and she loves coming here. It's totally different than cleaning regular houses, she says.

MooseTrax said:
wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Riki
Samster said:
Riki
I always have extra baked treats for my housekeeper :) I pay her well and she loves coming here. It's totally different than cleaning regular houses, she says.
Samster said:
You would be a great boss.
I had a diversion today and went to Dollar Tree and Big Lots and our favorite Chinese place. My fortune cookie was full of insightful insults, it read: "You are given to much perfection" the girls laughed out loud at that one!
I had someone hired who just couldn't make it to work before 3 or 4pm. What? Couldn't get up and out of bed til 1pm. When I collected my cleaning cupboad key in exchange for her paycheck she gave me a bag full of dove chocolates and soaps and shampoos she had taken. I thought that was odd, at least she had a conscience. She was nice enough. I wished it had worked out. I was going behind and recleaning stuff anyway...so was for the best.

MooseTrax said:
wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Riki
Samster said:
Riki
Samster said:
I had a diversion today and went to Dollar Tree and Big Lots and our favorite Chinese place. My fortune cookie was full of insightful insults, it read: "You are given to much perfection" the girls laughed out loud at that one!
I had someone hired who just couldn't make it to work before 3 or 4pm. What? Couldn't get up and out of bed til 1pm. When I collected my cleaning cupboad key in exchange for her paycheck she gave me a bag full of dove chocolates and soaps and shampoos she had taken. I thought that was odd, at least she had a conscience. She was nice enough. I wished it had worked out. I was going behind and recleaning stuff anyway...so was for the best.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
She STOLE from you? I wonder why she gave the stuff back?
We round up on the hours. So if she leaves at 11:45, we pay until noon. If she only gets an hour of work, we pay for 2.

MooseTrax said:
wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Riki
Samster said:
Riki
Samster said:
You are sooooooooooo sweet to say that! I am also a demanding boss. haha! I am totally a perfectionist and can be a pain, but I try to always give the reason for why things have to be just so.
regular_smile.gif
My housekeeper brings ME stuff. I have little ducks by all the jetted tubs and she found some at the Dollar Store the other day and brought me some! Never wants any money for it.
I guess I am a little untrusting because I work on the occupied rooms with her. I guess if something comes up missing, it will always come back to me. I will let her do the flips on her own.
Like Bree, I always round up on the hours and I also provide lunch. I remember what it was like when I worked at a large inn & got zip, nada, zilch.

MooseTrax said:
wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Riki
Samster said:
Riki
Samster said:
That is awful that she stole from you! Interesting that she brought those things that she pilfered back though. Hmmm....

MooseTrax said:
wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Riki
Samster said:
Riki
Samster said:
You are sooooooooooo sweet to say that! I am also a demanding boss. haha! I am totally a perfectionist and can be a pain, but I try to always give the reason for why things have to be just so.
regular_smile.gif
My housekeeper brings ME stuff. I have little ducks by all the jetted tubs and she found some at the Dollar Store the other day and brought me some! Never wants any money for it.
I guess I am a little untrusting because I work on the occupied rooms with her. I guess if something comes up missing, it will always come back to me. I will let her do the flips on her own.
Like Bree, I always round up on the hours and I also provide lunch. I remember what it was like when I worked at a large inn & got zip, nada, zilch.
I guess I am a little untrusting because I work on the occupied rooms with her
I do not call that untrusting - I call that back-up. If anything ever comes up missing there is back-up for both that it did not happen with us. Like the nurse in the room for the doc with a female patient. If she ever questions it, just tell her it is for her protection as well as yours. Trust or lack of has nothing to do with it.

wow! i used to let my chambermaids have leftover breakfast things or muffins or candy ... i never thought to round up their hours except once when it was like 50 minutes. that's really nice!! (note to self)
another thing that made my chambermaids really, really happy was when we got in an order of body wash or something, often there was a freebie of some other item in the box i'd offer it to them. or ask if they wanted a few of the washes. and when we 'culled' the linens .. removing the ones that were getting threadbare or had little stains (or big stains), or holes, i'd ask if they wanted to take them home. they were still really nice things, but not what you could put out for paying guests. one chambermaid was ecstatic at the end of last season to take home a mix and match sheet set, a comforter, two shams and a bathrobe. didn't bother her one bit that there was hair dye on that robe!

wow! i used to let my chambermaids have leftover breakfast things or muffins or candy ... i never thought to round up their hours except once when it was like 50 minutes. that's really nice!! (note to self)
another thing that made my chambermaids really, really happy was when we got in an order of body wash or something, often there was a freebie of some other item in the box i'd offer it to them. or ask if they wanted a few of the washes. and when we 'culled' the linens .. removing the ones that were getting threadbare or had little stains (or big stains), or holes, i'd ask if they wanted to take them home. they were still really nice things, but not what you could put out for paying guests. one chambermaid was ecstatic at the end of last season to take home a mix and match sheet set, a comforter, two shams and a bathrobe. didn't bother her one bit that there was hair dye on that robe!.
We offer leftover breakfast, too. Also, weird as it may be, any clothing left behind tht isn't called for. I have a cashmere sweater that would fit her, but I'm still not sure how she would take the offer.
Another housekeeper was dirt poor so she went 'shopping' in the attic for leftover anything and ended up taking a mattress & boxspring when we replaced it.

another thing that made my chambermaids really, really happy was when we got in an order of body wash or something, often there was a freebie of some other item in the box i'd offer it to them. or ask if they wanted a few of the washes. and when we 'culled' the linens .. removing the ones that were getting threadbare or had little stains (or big stains), or holes, i'd ask if they wanted to take them home. they were still really nice things, but not what you could put out for paying guests. one chambermaid was ecstatic at the end of last season to take home a mix and match sheet set, a comforter, two shams and a bathrobe. didn't bother her one bit that there was hair dye on that robe!.
We offer leftover breakfast, too. Also, weird as it may be, any clothing left behind tht isn't called for. I have a cashmere sweater that would fit her, but I'm still not sure how she would take the offer.
Another housekeeper was dirt poor so she went 'shopping' in the attic for leftover anything and ended up taking a mattress & boxspring when we replaced it.
bree, glad you mentioned that.
i had a lovely chambermaid who relied on her salary with me and what she earned cleaning houses in the area, two churches ... any work she could find she would do.
i would sometimes say ... 'if you know anyone who could use this, please take it.' and very often she could think of 'someone' who might be able to use it.

Hmmm. The independent contractor angle for a housekeeper is a good idea. My best friend in Southern Michigan has been cleaning houses on the side for awhile now, and has decided to take it up a notch by advertising and pursuing new business. Maybe I'll mention it to her. She lives just outside an area that is crammed with Inns.

Hmmm. The independent contractor angle for a housekeeper is a good idea. My best friend in Southern Michigan has been cleaning houses on the side for awhile now, and has decided to take it up a notch by advertising and pursuing new business. Maybe I'll mention it to her. She lives just outside an area that is crammed with Inns..
Little Blue said:
Hmmm. The independent contractor angle for a housekeeper is a good idea. My best friend in Southern Michigan has been cleaning houses on the side for awhile now, and has decided to take it up a notch by advertising and pursuing new business. Maybe I'll mention it to her. She lives just outside an area that is crammed with Inns.
Make sure she gets a business license. The "independant contractor" thing is sometimes not acceptd by the tax man, according to B&B conferences I've been to.
Riki

Hmmm. The independent contractor angle for a housekeeper is a good idea. My best friend in Southern Michigan has been cleaning houses on the side for awhile now, and has decided to take it up a notch by advertising and pursuing new business. Maybe I'll mention it to her. She lives just outside an area that is crammed with Inns..
Little Blue said:
Make sure she gets a business license. The "independant contractor" thing is sometimes not acceptd by the tax man, according to B&B conferences I've been to.
Riki
egoodell said:
Little Blue said:
Riki
The state gov't went after 'independent' contractors awhile ago (here). They claimed that businesses were not paying the payroll taxes on regular employees. The businesses claimed they hired 'independents' so the employee should have been paying. One company got hit with over $10k in back taxes when the state determined that the employees were not 'independent'.
There is a whole list of reqs here to fit the bill. We can't put our lawn care person on our workers comp because she fits the bill as an 'independent' ie- she has her own equip, she works without supervision and there's something else I can't think of at the moment. The housekeeper, tho, is an employee.

Little Blue said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Little Blue said:
Riki
The state gov't went after 'independent' contractors awhile ago (here). They claimed that businesses were not paying the payroll taxes on regular employees. The businesses claimed they hired 'independents' so the employee should have been paying. One company got hit with over $10k in back taxes when the state determined that the employees were not 'independent'.
There is a whole list of reqs here to fit the bill. We can't put our lawn care person on our workers comp because she fits the bill as an 'independent' ie- she has her own equip, she works without supervision and there's something else I can't think of at the moment. The housekeeper, tho, is an employee.
Bree said:
egoodell said:
Little Blue said:
Riki
And you have to 1099 them I think that's the form. Our garden person is a real business - she does all the restauarants in town etc. so there was no problem with her.
RIki

yep it is the 1099. Our lawyer said to make sure they have that! Got to cover your ( l )
omg_smile.gif

Does she have the skills to be trained to answer the phones or do other "front desk" type duties? Maybe she could help you in more ways than just cleaning...maybe she could double as an Innsitter so you can get out once in a while...or maybe could shop for you, if the liability is not too huge.

Back