How friendly is 'Pet Friendly"?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, from experience I know there is a certain type of pet traveler out there...the one who thinks that 'pet friendly' means you don't charge for the dog and you don't have any policies in regard to THEIR dog. All other dogs they will expect to have to follow policies designed to keep THEIR dog safe.

Insurance will not allow the top dangerous breeds which I can't recall all of them but they do include Pit Bulls, Rotweilers, German Shephards, usually breeds that are already protective and often have this behavior encouraged by idiot owners so they have a high reputation of biting.
You should insist on a dog crate. Period. Often dogs who are not used to traveling if left alone in the room will scratch the door anxious for the owner.
And no, you should not allow them to be left in the rooms, but the owners who are not responsible WILL leave them alone, so if you have required a crate for checking in with a dog, at least if they are crated they can't create damage.
And don't think the crate is something bad. Dogs are animals that like a cave so when they are properly brought up the crate gives them a sense of security. Ours used to trot into their crates to take a snooze at home all the time.
There's no way to house a cat without a litter box. They may have small travel ones, but that's something you would have to provide and charge them for. Are you ready to remove and dump them? I would not depend on a pet owner to be responsible enough considering the damage from just people. I'm still working on two pillowcases from this weekend that have what looks like black hair dye on them and don't think the stains will come out.
And don't get me wrong - I am a pet lover, my mother used to show dogs and we traveled with them all over when we lived in Europe where they are more pet friendly. But we were considerate pet owners and trained our pets. We went out to dinner every Sunday in Switzerland with two Russian Wolfhounds to our neighborhood white tableclothrestaurant and popped them under the table. They were good because they never received treats when out to dinner.
When shopping and stopping in a coffee house, now that was different. They always got a cookie from the waitress but knew they had to wait until just before leaving...and they loved to go to the hairdresser with my mother!
RIki.
Our doxies LOVE their crate. Admittedly, they are very anxious to get in if they see me getting ready for work, all the routines, showering, changing clothes, etc. In return, I flip them a doggie biscuit. When it is breakfast time, "our girls" sense that leftovers are just a few minutes away and wait anxiously in our bedroom. That upsets hubby and he sticks them in their crates, where they wait more contentedly. If I call out, "night night," they hurry to their carrier where they are rewarded. Can we pick up on their body language as easily as they pick up on ours?
We do not accept pets because of our doxies, for one thing. We are afraid that they will be very anxious to confront the other pet. They were bred to fight badgers, after all. That and possible pet damage. How can you prove damage was caused by THEIR pet and not a pet that was there previously, that you didn't notice?

Insurance will not allow the top dangerous breeds which I can't recall all of them but they do include Pit Bulls, Rotweilers, German Shephards, usually breeds that are already protective and often have this behavior encouraged by idiot owners so they have a high reputation of biting.
You should insist on a dog crate. Period. Often dogs who are not used to traveling if left alone in the room will scratch the door anxious for the owner.
And no, you should not allow them to be left in the rooms, but the owners who are not responsible WILL leave them alone, so if you have required a crate for checking in with a dog, at least if they are crated they can't create damage.
And don't think the crate is something bad. Dogs are animals that like a cave so when they are properly brought up the crate gives them a sense of security. Ours used to trot into their crates to take a snooze at home all the time.
There's no way to house a cat without a litter box. They may have small travel ones, but that's something you would have to provide and charge them for. Are you ready to remove and dump them? I would not depend on a pet owner to be responsible enough considering the damage from just people. I'm still working on two pillowcases from this weekend that have what looks like black hair dye on them and don't think the stains will come out.
And don't get me wrong - I am a pet lover, my mother used to show dogs and we traveled with them all over when we lived in Europe where they are more pet friendly. But we were considerate pet owners and trained our pets. We went out to dinner every Sunday in Switzerland with two Russian Wolfhounds to our neighborhood white tableclothrestaurant and popped them under the table. They were good because they never received treats when out to dinner.
When shopping and stopping in a coffee house, now that was different. They always got a cookie from the waitress but knew they had to wait until just before leaving...and they loved to go to the hairdresser with my mother!
RIki.
Our doxies LOVE their crate. Admittedly, they are very anxious to get in if they see me getting ready for work, all the routines, showering, changing clothes, etc. In return, I flip them a doggie biscuit. When it is breakfast time, "our girls" sense that leftovers are just a few minutes away and wait anxiously in our bedroom. That upsets hubby and he sticks them in their crates, where they wait more contentedly. If I call out, "night night," they hurry to their carrier where they are rewarded. Can we pick up on their body language as easily as they pick up on ours?
We do not accept pets because of our doxies, for one thing. We are afraid that they will be very anxious to confront the other pet. They were bred to fight badgers, after all. That and possible pet damage. How can you prove damage was caused by THEIR pet and not a pet that was there previously, that you didn't notice?
As stated previously, I have NEVER had any kind of damage done by a pet in 6.5 years of accepting them.

RIki.
We stayed at a place with our dog. Nice place, but definitely in the 'dog room.' I walked around pointing stuff out to hubs...'look, that was here when we arrived, our dog didn't do that.' I did that quite a lot in that room.
So, I do understand when guests don't want to stay in the 'dog room' here. They think it'll be the same way.

RIki.
We stayed at a place with our dog. Nice place, but definitely in the 'dog room.' I walked around pointing stuff out to hubs...'look, that was here when we arrived, our dog didn't do that.' I did that quite a lot in that room.
So, I do understand when guests don't want to stay in the 'dog room' here. They think it'll be the same way.
Bree said:
What about this? What about a pampered pooch room? What if you made it totally dog? I mean, not a room that accepts dogs, but a DOG'S ROOM? That is what I would do. I would cater that room to dogs. Down to the doggy treats they get and word it in a special way for the owners who think Foo Foo is a princess would love to stay there. You are good with words, make is catchy and clever. :)

Our first experience with a "dog-friendly" hotel was the Hotel Colorado in Glenwood Springs. Built in the "Grand" style, it hosted Teddy Roosevelt a number of times. There were definitely no "dog" rooms in the place. They put us in a two-room suite. There were no specific policies about the dog, though we did pay extra for our Keeshond--maybe $15 a night. We used to get off the elevator on the second floor and go down the Grand Staircase to Make an Entrance in the Beaux Artes lobby.
Our dog discovered that there was a dog in the connecting suite, and they got in the habit of sniffing at each other under the door, each seemingly as amazed as the other that there was an "intruder" in the adjoining room.
Our experience with the Hotel Colorado was so good that there was never a question that we wouldn't accept dogs. We don't permit dogs in the dining lodge because our own dog is territorial. Our website and brochure note that we "accept dogs with well-mannered owners"--a phrase we saw on somebody else's website and immediately fell in love with.
Because we are close to a ski area, we note in our policies that dogs may not be left in rooms for long periods of time, and we have established relationships with "doggie-daycare" merchants in town.
This will be our first winter high season, but our shoulder season experience with guests' dogs has been fine. Not so much with our friends' dogs who have visited us and helped us get the Lodge ready: we're 1 for 5 in keeping dogs from falling in the pool when the cover is on.
Tom

RIki.
Bree said:
What about this? What about a pampered pooch room? What if you made it totally dog? I mean, not a room that accepts dogs, but a DOG'S ROOM? That is what I would do. I would cater that room to dogs. Down to the doggy treats they get and word it in a special way for the owners who think Foo Foo is a princess would love to stay there. You are good with words, make is catchy and clever. :)
In doing research for a Marketing tip about doggie inns I found one that charged $450 per night - and got it so Fifi could be in the room!

River Wren - You should charge at LEAST as much as a kennel. The owners WILL pay for a kennel at their rates, so you fee should be higher than that, imo.
What does a kennel require? Vaccination records, spay record etc. Not all dogs use crates. A warning of a charge for a piddle on the floor should be included.

RIki.
Bree said:
Only the dog stays in that room? Or the guests stay in that room, too?

Our first experience with a "dog-friendly" hotel was the Hotel Colorado in Glenwood Springs. Built in the "Grand" style, it hosted Teddy Roosevelt a number of times. There were definitely no "dog" rooms in the place. They put us in a two-room suite. There were no specific policies about the dog, though we did pay extra for our Keeshond--maybe $15 a night. We used to get off the elevator on the second floor and go down the Grand Staircase to Make an Entrance in the Beaux Artes lobby.
Our dog discovered that there was a dog in the connecting suite, and they got in the habit of sniffing at each other under the door, each seemingly as amazed as the other that there was an "intruder" in the adjoining room.
Our experience with the Hotel Colorado was so good that there was never a question that we wouldn't accept dogs. We don't permit dogs in the dining lodge because our own dog is territorial. Our website and brochure note that we "accept dogs with well-mannered owners"--a phrase we saw on somebody else's website and immediately fell in love with.
Because we are close to a ski area, we note in our policies that dogs may not be left in rooms for long periods of time, and we have established relationships with "doggie-daycare" merchants in town.
This will be our first winter high season, but our shoulder season experience with guests' dogs has been fine. Not so much with our friends' dogs who have visited us and helped us get the Lodge ready: we're 1 for 5 in keeping dogs from falling in the pool when the cover is on.
Tom.
My dog knows when there is a guest dog in the house. She knows which room is the dog room and she will stand there outside that room snuffling. If the guest dog is in the room, you can hear both of them snuffling under the door at each other. My dog always has to check out the room when the guests are out. She doesn't go in the room but she stands at the door and sniffs.

RIki.
Bree said:
In doing research for a Marketing tip about doggie inns I found one that charged $450 per night - and got it so Fifi could be in the room!
We wanted to bring our dog with us rather than leave her in a kennel for the 10 days we would be watching our grandson. We were staying at a hotel for one night and the charge, non refundable, was $150. I called the local vet who did boarding and the dog stayed there for $15.
And you know they did not take that $150 and use it to really clean the room.

I dunno, Joey. We aren't pet friendly because we want to make a few extra bucks. We're pet friendly because, well, we like the sort of people who like dogs. We know it will be more cleaning. We charge the same rate per night as we do for a child (guess which is more of a nuisance...).
A guest this fall brought along a Burmese Mountain Dog as a companion dog intended to mitigate her panic attacks. People unfamiliar with the breed (as were we) should note that the animal is roughly the size of a mattress and has a disposition about that of, you guessed it, a mattress. The dog was a serene island during a weekend when its mistress had a panic attack in the dining room one morning at breakfast just when I was bringing out the second course sticky buns, but her friends managed to slot her under the piano so she wouldn't impede traffic flow.
Everything eventually worked out. They were wonderful people and we'll welcome them back in a heartbeat. But ask me if I would prefer cleaning up piddle in a guest room to dealing with a guest having an Episode under the Steinway, I'll pick the dog any day.
Tom

I dunno, Joey. We aren't pet friendly because we want to make a few extra bucks. We're pet friendly because, well, we like the sort of people who like dogs. We know it will be more cleaning. We charge the same rate per night as we do for a child (guess which is more of a nuisance...).
A guest this fall brought along a Burmese Mountain Dog as a companion dog intended to mitigate her panic attacks. People unfamiliar with the breed (as were we) should note that the animal is roughly the size of a mattress and has a disposition about that of, you guessed it, a mattress. The dog was a serene island during a weekend when its mistress had a panic attack in the dining room one morning at breakfast just when I was bringing out the second course sticky buns, but her friends managed to slot her under the piano so she wouldn't impede traffic flow.
Everything eventually worked out. They were wonderful people and we'll welcome them back in a heartbeat. But ask me if I would prefer cleaning up piddle in a guest room to dealing with a guest having an Episode under the Steinway, I'll pick the dog any day.
Tom.
HighMountainLodge said:
A guest this fall brought along a Burmese Mountain Dog as a companion dog intended to mitigate her panic attacks. People unfamiliar with the breed (as were we) should note that the animal is roughly the size of a mattress and has a disposition about that of, you guessed it, a mattress.
I grew up in Switzerland and loved the Bernese Mountain Dogs. That's not what they are called there, and since their dialect is not a written language I don't know how to spell it "Durbachler" and you roll the "r" and sorta spit out the word.
Our neighbor had one that used to go to market with her mistress, carrying her purse on the way to market, and the basket with foodsutuff on the way back. A really lovely animal. But I think my parents didn't get one because they can tend to drool a bit.
RIki

Tom.
HighMountainLodge said:
A guest this fall brought along a Burmese Mountain Dog as a companion dog intended to mitigate her panic attacks. People unfamiliar with the breed (as were we) should note that the animal is roughly the size of a mattress and has a disposition about that of, you guessed it, a mattress.
I grew up in Switzerland and loved the Bernese Mountain Dogs. That's not what they are called there, and since their dialect is not a written language I don't know how to spell it "Durbachler" and you roll the "r" and sorta spit out the word.
Our neighbor had one that used to go to market with her mistress, carrying her purse on the way to market, and the basket with foodsutuff on the way back. A really lovely animal. But I think my parents didn't get one because they can tend to drool a bit.
RIki
egoodell said:
HighMountainLodge said:
RIki
I like the Swiss Mountain breeds very much. I considered one for the Inn at one time.
When I opened I had a rescue dog. A Samoyed, and he was a real people dog. Loved everyone. He was found dumped in the woods and due to his abused past, he NEVER barked. Ever. Despite my best efforts, I could not teach him to 'speak'. Anyway, this was a huge plus for an Inn dog.
The down side was the heavy double coat. White hair everywhere. After his passing at age 13, I cleaned up white dust bunnies for the next 3 years. I don't know if I want to go through that again.
The non shedding breeds for the most part, tend to be barkers...and the non barkers (Basenji) are not my taste. So I have been dog free for a few years now.
Those who have dogs at the Inn...how did you pick your breeds?

Tom.
HighMountainLodge said:
RIki
egoodell said:
HighMountainLodge said:
RIki
I like the Swiss Mountain breeds very much. I considered one for the Inn at one time.
When I opened I had a rescue dog. A Samoyed, and he was a real people dog. Loved everyone. He was found dumped in the woods and due to his abused past, he NEVER barked. Ever. Despite my best efforts, I could not teach him to 'speak'. Anyway, this was a huge plus for an Inn dog.
The down side was the heavy double coat. White hair everywhere. After his passing at age 13, I cleaned up white dust bunnies for the next 3 years. I don't know if I want to go through that again.
The non shedding breeds for the most part, tend to be barkers...and the non barkers (Basenji) are not my taste. So I have been dog free for a few years now.
A Golden because even people afraid of dogs recognize the friendliness of the breed, also the sweetness and quietness factors, and you just deal with the hair. They shed ALWAYS but their hair is long and soft and picks up easily. And you just never wear black
teeth_smile.gif

Tom.
HighMountainLodge said:
RIki
egoodell said:
HighMountainLodge said:
RIki
A Golden because even people afraid of dogs recognize the friendliness of the breed, also the sweetness and quietness factors, and you just deal with the hair. They shed ALWAYS but their hair is long and soft and picks up easily. And you just never wear black
teeth_smile.gif

Argh! I have a golden. I wear black. I warn guests wearing black to not call her over, they ignore me. The dog's hair has 'hooks' so it is impossible to vacuum off the furniture, I have to PICK it out of the weave on the chairs. I can only sell my car to a dog owner.

Tom.
HighMountainLodge said:
RIki
egoodell said:
HighMountainLodge said:
RIki
[/quote]
[/quote]
All dogs shed except for a very small few. My grandmother thought she would be smart one year and got a short haired dog. My mother would never have one after that as she spent hours sitting on the couch using tweesers to remove the short hairs.
I have a Borzoi and he is white. We have lint rollers outside the kitchen, in our quarters and in the guest closets for those who can't resist the long silky hair. I grew up with the breed since they don't bark (unless they want in or want out) don't drool and don't stink. Those were my dad's requirements.
We used to also have shelties which are loves but very inbreed to be tiny in this country, not like the true shelties in Scotland. I also had a wonderful long haired doxie who was a true love. Only thing with them is due to the long spine they should not run flying down flights of stairs on a regular basis.
If you are checking out a breed the best thing to do is go to an AKC show and see if they are noisy and barking, as a big dog show is stressful and if they are calm there they will be calm anywhere. And a breeder is a great way to get a non show quality well bred dog. We got one of our last Borzoi that was - she was 2 years old and a true love.
Be prepared to be checked out by the breeder and try not to take offense - they are trusting you with their children after all, and may ask a lot of personal questions.
RIki

Tom.
HighMountainLodge said:
RIki
egoodell said:
HighMountainLodge said:
RIki
teeth_smile.gif

Argh! I have a golden. I wear black. I warn guests wearing black to not call her over, they ignore me. The dog's hair has 'hooks' so it is impossible to vacuum off the furniture, I have to PICK it out of the weave on the chairs. I can only sell my car to a dog owner.
Bree said:
lol! did you choose a golden as an appropriate B & B dog, or did it just work out that way?

Tom.
HighMountainLodge said:
RIki
egoodell said:
HighMountainLodge said:
RIki
teeth_smile.gif

Bree said:
lol! did you choose a golden as an appropriate B & B dog, or did it just work out that way?
River Wren said:
Bree said:
The golden is known in dogdom as the totally GOOD GUY dog. They love everyone and all other dogs. Easy going and loveable.
RIki

Back