How long does it take you to flip a room?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so it sounds like I'm about spot on. It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour and a half depending on the size of the room and how the guests left it. My DH works a lot of hours at our resturant and so I do pretty much everything for the b&b by myself. He seems to think it should take 15 minutes to flip a room. Now I need to make a list of everything that I do when I flip a room so when he does randomly need to help I know he's not skipping things!.
I hate to say it but there is a certain kind of guy who wouldn't care what a hotel room looked like so it can be VERY hard to understand WHY it takes so long because 'all you're doing' is making a bed and wiping off the sink.
'Here look, watch me, I'll show you how to do it.'
Which you might want to ask him to do for you. 'OK, maybe I am taking too long, show me how you would do it.' Because everyone knows we innkeepers overthink this stuff.
Let him show you how he would do it. Stand out of his way. Don't say anything. Just let him show you. Maybe he's the master of efficiency and you can video him and we'll all learn something.
I'll give him credit, he is a master of efficency and if we had actual time together I'm sure he could help me get better organized and get it done quicker...still don't think it could be done *right* in 15 minutes. He is also the type of guy who isn't going to notice the detail stuff.
If only he wasn't working 80 hours a week, we could have time to learn from each other. *le sigh*
Miss O'Hara said:
I'll give him credit, he is a master of efficency and if we had actual time together I'm sure he could help me get better organized and get it done quicker...still don't think it could be done *right* in 15 minutes. He is also the type of guy who isn't going to notice the detail stuff.
If only he wasn't working 80 hours a week, we could have time to learn from each other. *le sigh*
I AM THE MASTER OF EFFICIENCY.
I am completely organized. I have been cleaning these rooms for 9 years.
There is no way to clean a room properly in 15 minutes. You can quote me on that and tell him.
Joey Bloggs said:
Miss O'Hara said:
I AM THE MASTER OF EFFICIENCY.
I am completely organized. I have been cleaning these rooms for 9 years.
There is no way to clean a room properly in 15 minutes. You can quote me on that and tell him.
I am so happy I don't work at the hotel anymore. It really bothered me that they expected the housekeepers to clean rooms in under 30 min's.

Bless your heart.
If you have two people flipping a room, then it can be done lickety split (I thought I would say that today, it feels like a lickety split day!)
It takes a decent hour to clean and make up a room, here. We have wood floors, and victorian woodwork that is a dust nightmare. If we had basic rooms with beds, nightstands and a chair it would be much quicker! This is not a deep clean either, just a flip..
Timely topic. I was thinking I must be too slow, takes me almost an hour. Yesterday I could not get the bedspreads right on the first throw for love nor money. Some days they whip right in to place. Bad bed day.
Also suffering from summer bedspread pillow pantyline, if the cases are not just right.
Is there a trick to get pillow protectors and cases on that both stay smooth?
double post

I'm so glad to hear that everyone's taking 45-60 minutes to flip a room. We, too, thought we were doing something wrong. But, there is just SO MUCH to do!
We had a lady stay with us that manages a few budget hotels. She said they only give their housekeepers 15 minutes per room.
whattha.gif
Couldn't believe it! And they get the dirtiest, nastiest guests... yuck.
Here's a few questions:
  • How do you clean your bath/shower if someone has definitely taken a shower and it's not obviously gross. Do you scrub top to bottom each time, do you just rinse, do you spray with cleaner & rinse?
  • Do you mop your bathroom floor after every guest?
  • How often do you wash curtains, bedspreads, bathroom rugs, etc?
K9 said:
Here's a few questions:
  • How do you clean your bath/shower if someone has definitely taken a shower and it's not obviously gross. Do you scrub top to bottom each time, do you just rinse, do you spray with cleaner & rinse? Scrub top to bottom no matter how clean the guests left it. (Forgot to add we do this every day, not just on check out.)
  • Do you mop your bathroom floor after every guest? We mop the floor on hands and knees EVERY day.
  • How often do you wash curtains, bedspreads, bathroom rugs, etc? Bath rugs after every guest (shake out while the same guest is in the room). Curtains (do you mean shower or bedroom?)- we do room curtains 2x/year. We don't have shower curtains. Bedspreads every 2 weeks. Ditto blankets. Ditto mattress pads and pillow protectors.
Yup, sounds about right! Today is the day I will launder the quilt, shams and scatter rugs in the cottage. It's a rare day in the summer with no one checking into the cottage, but I have blocked out this time to catch up and get some laundry done. August is a heavy duty guest month here and I may not have time to get to launder all the bedding until September.
We avoid curtains in our rooms, opting for shutters that can be vacuumed once a week. Shower curtain liners are changed after every guest and the bathroom floors are wiped every day by hand...especially important near the toilet when there are men in the house.l
Showers and tubs are cleaned top to bottom and tile is win dexed to keep the shine all summer and avoid soap scum. If guests have been to the beach during the day and I know that they have showered again before dinner I will give them "turn-down" service, drying the tub/shower area and hanging up/replenishing towels as needed.

This is a funny but true story. We are fairly close to Las Vegas and had a guest who is in charge of training the house help for the 5000 room hotels in Vegas. They use two training videos. One for right handed help and the other left handed. It shows them how to use both hands to do two things at once like scrubbing the sink and changing the tissue which is done differently for left and right handed people. They need to turn a room every 16 minutes. We take about 40 minutes and have no video either for right or left handers.

This is a funny but true story. We are fairly close to Las Vegas and had a guest who is in charge of training the house help for the 5000 room hotels in Vegas. They use two training videos. One for right handed help and the other left handed. It shows them how to use both hands to do two things at once like scrubbing the sink and changing the tissue which is done differently for left and right handed people. They need to turn a room every 16 minutes. We take about 40 minutes and have no video either for right or left handers..
I don't even want to think about cleaning one of those rooms in 16 minutes! We stayed in the SAME room as one I read about in a review and they mentioned a banana peel being on the floor for the whole time they were there. It was there when they arrived and there when they left. (It was gone when I arrived!)
My guess is the housekeeper just thought they were lazy SOB's and left it on the floor for the guests to pick up, not knowing it was there when they arrived. Why the guests didn't just pick it up I don't know. At that point, probably just a game. 'Will it be gone or won't it?'
But, I stayed at a 'posh' B&B a few years back and there were dead bugs all over the window sills and the day bed. And they'd been there a LONG time given the dust and spider webs on top of them. I moved things around just to see if the housekeepers would wipe off the window sills or vacuum off the daybed. Nope. Dead bugs still there when I checked out.
And there were TWO people doing each room. We saw them working in another room.

Back