How much personal info or personality do you think s/b on a B&B website?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Your thoughts on how much is enough or too much?
I like to see a casual photo so I know who to look for, and just a very brief bio of how they came to be a B&B owner. I too can do without the degrees and whole work background.
We have our photos because of the wine tour company and picking people up all over town. They know who to look for. But they are getting old and need to be updated. We're grayer now! And we put in a bit about our wine working background because of the wine tour biz, but it's pretty brief.
Riki

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I like to see a casual photo so I know who to look for, and just a very brief bio of how they came to be a B&B owner. I too can do without the degrees and whole work background.
We have our photos because of the wine tour company and picking people up all over town. They know who to look for. But they are getting old and need to be updated. We're grayer now! And we put in a bit about our wine working background because of the wine tour biz, but it's pretty brief.
Riki.
egoodell said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki
When we first started it seemed as if a lot of guests were snobbish about how much better their jobs were than what we were doing. Of course that all could have been US wondering if we'd chosen the right career, but there were days we felt like we were no more than the hired help. Either we've adapted so that doesn't bother us anymore or our clientele have changed!
Anyway, I was sorely tempted to write a bio on the website AND hang up in a semi-conspicuous place ALL of hubs's US and foreign patents to show guests that at least HE wasn't a bozo. But, the older I get and the longer we do this, the less I care what the guests' opinions of ME are and the more I care that they enjoy their stay.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki.
egoodell said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki
When we first started it seemed as if a lot of guests were snobbish about how much better their jobs were than what we were doing. Of course that all could have been US wondering if we'd chosen the right career, but there were days we felt like we were no more than the hired help. Either we've adapted so that doesn't bother us anymore or our clientele have changed!
Anyway, I was sorely tempted to write a bio on the website AND hang up in a semi-conspicuous place ALL of hubs's US and foreign patents to show guests that at least HE wasn't a bozo. But, the older I get and the longer we do this, the less I care what the guests' opinions of ME are and the more I care that they enjoy their stay.
I agree! It seemed to be much worse in the beginning which probably means that it was just me, wondering if we'd done the right thing. But I did put our bios up on our website to let folks know we both have professional degrees...this was mostly to combat the "age" discrimination thing that we were up against at the same time.
Now, I don't give a rip WHAT they think I know, do, or am...I'm just me and I'm happy! Definitely an attitude adjustment on my part, and more of a shift to hoping the guest is enjoying their stay from wondering if they are judging me.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki.
egoodell said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki
Bree said:
egoodell said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki
We never get that attitude here, we have people who think we have this really cool glamorous job (and of course how no idea about the down and dirty of it all). Then find out they only see my partner when he comes home from his other job. Like the rocket scientist from Nasa - who designed autonomous vehicles and was intrigued by innkeeping. (I googled him and found his articles in all these scientific magazines.) I will never forget that, he thought this would be his ideal job, not vacation, but job. I do not think anyone thinks this is a job you just take. Nearly every innkeeper I have met tells of corporate burnout which lead them down this road. That, in fact, is a topic of discussion more than most - what did you do before innkeeping? As guests are seeing younger and younger innkeepers - it used to be mostly those who retired and opened an inn (although I have no idea how anyone could handle all this AFTER retirement.)

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki.
egoodell said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki
Bree said:
egoodell said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki
We never get that attitude here, we have people who think we have this really cool glamorous job (and of course how no idea about the down and dirty of it all). Then find out they only see my partner when he comes home from his other job. Like the rocket scientist from Nasa - who designed autonomous vehicles and was intrigued by innkeeping. (I googled him and found his articles in all these scientific magazines.) I will never forget that, he thought this would be his ideal job, not vacation, but job. I do not think anyone thinks this is a job you just take. Nearly every innkeeper I have met tells of corporate burnout which lead them down this road. That, in fact, is a topic of discussion more than most - what did you do before innkeeping? As guests are seeing younger and younger innkeepers - it used to be mostly those who retired and opened an inn (although I have no idea how anyone could handle all this AFTER retirement.)
Joe Bloggs said:
As guests are seeing younger and younger innkeepers - it used to be mostly those who retired and opened an inn (although I have no idea how anyone could handle all this AFTER retirement.)
THIS is what I tell them all the time...I want to be RETIRED when I'm retired, not RE-TIRED from innkeeping!

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki.
egoodell said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki
I agree! It seemed to be much worse in the beginning which probably means that it was just me, wondering if we'd done the right thing. But I did put our bios up on our website to let folks know we both have professional degrees...this was mostly to combat the "age" discrimination thing that we were up against at the same time.
Now, I don't give a rip WHAT they think I know, do, or am...I'm just me and I'm happy! Definitely an attitude adjustment on my part, and more of a shift to hoping the guest is enjoying their stay from wondering if they are judging me.
InnsiderInfo said:
I think your "beginning" attitude may have been all on your part, not the guests, I think they admire what you have accomplished, not that they think you could do nothing else. I am not sure why any of you would say or think that? Remember many guests wish they could own and operate an inn. It is not a put down, that is something manufactured in the innkeepers mind, they admire what you have there. Does that make sense? For anyone of us to have to post accolades is just a personal gratification or self esteem issue. We do not need to prove ourselves. This is what I mean. Maybe it is in the way we hold/carry ourselves - maybe it is in US, not them?

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki.
egoodell said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
I think your "beginning" attitude may have been all on your part, not the guests, I think they admire what you have accomplished, not that they think you could do nothing else. I am not sure why any of you would say or think that? Remember many guests wish they could own and operate an inn. It is not a put down, that is something manufactured in the innkeepers mind, they admire what you have there. Does that make sense? For anyone of us to have to post accolades is just a personal gratification or self esteem issue. We do not need to prove ourselves. This is what I mean. Maybe it is in the way we hold/carry ourselves - maybe it is in US, not them?
Absolutely agree, as I said in the above post...it was MY attitude, not anyone else's. And yes, many guests think this is the "dream job" and such a "glamorous lifestyle"...and some of them are very sweet about this and some very catty, that is a fact. I have had it point blank directed at me as a put-down, as in "What could you possibly know about [insert topic here], you're just an innkeeper".
I don't see it as posting accolades on my site, it's simply letting people know what I did in my "previous life". They ALL ask that question, so it made sense to put it up, and at the same time it was a point of pride, but not boastful, if that makes sense...
To get back to the original question, I am put off if there is not at least ONE photo of the innkeepers...you could have a great site but if I can't see who you are it feels lacking to me...maybe you just paid someone to put this great site together, and I think subconsciously I would assume that when I get there it will be some "staff" person I am dealing with, not an owner. Not that it would prevent me from booking, but if I were on the fence I would likely go with a place that told me at least a bit about the innkeepers.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki.
egoodell said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
Absolutely agree, as I said in the above post...it was MY attitude, not anyone else's. And yes, many guests think this is the "dream job" and such a "glamorous lifestyle"...and some of them are very sweet about this and some very catty, that is a fact. I have had it point blank directed at me as a put-down, as in "What could you possibly know about [insert topic here], you're just an innkeeper".
I don't see it as posting accolades on my site, it's simply letting people know what I did in my "previous life". They ALL ask that question, so it made sense to put it up, and at the same time it was a point of pride, but not boastful, if that makes sense...
To get back to the original question, I am put off if there is not at least ONE photo of the innkeepers...you could have a great site but if I can't see who you are it feels lacking to me...maybe you just paid someone to put this great site together, and I think subconsciously I would assume that when I get there it will be some "staff" person I am dealing with, not an owner. Not that it would prevent me from booking, but if I were on the fence I would likely go with a place that told me at least a bit about the innkeepers.
InnsiderInfo said:
YES! AGREE! Without a photo or some info on the owners/innkeepers it is a hired staff. That is exactly the way I think as well. I have seen very nice very expensive websites lately that LACK that very important ingredient - personality. Without some info on who I am SLEEPING WITH - so the speak, I will go on to the next Inn on the list. Then, of course, we have the phone calls. You call to speak to a person and get the scoop on the place. Perhaps that is the reason so many inns on this forum get an overabundance of phone calls vs online bookings?

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki.
egoodell said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
No, there were guests in the beginning, maybe not 'good' B&B guests who thought all we did was scrub toilets and serve breakfast and any idiot could do that. We actually SAW a marked change in their behavior toward us when conversation turned to 'how long have you been doing this' and we talked about corporate life, the patents and how the MAJORITY of B&B owners in this neighborhood were retired Navy OFFICERS. We had one guest apologize for his initial behavior. So, not ALL in our heads!
But, now I don't care, so SOME of it was in our heads. And a lot of that was because we didn't feel pride in the BUILDING. There was a lot of deferred maintenance and we thought that reflected poorly on us. (Pedaling as fast as we could to fix everything.) The more we have done, the better we feel, the straighter we stand and the less grief we get.
So, yes, guests treat you the way you feel about yourself. But some of the guests are more likely than others to treat you badly. And that is definitely true if they think you are not the owners but 'just' employees.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki.
egoodell said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
No, there were guests in the beginning, maybe not 'good' B&B guests who thought all we did was scrub toilets and serve breakfast and any idiot could do that. We actually SAW a marked change in their behavior toward us when conversation turned to 'how long have you been doing this' and we talked about corporate life, the patents and how the MAJORITY of B&B owners in this neighborhood were retired Navy OFFICERS. We had one guest apologize for his initial behavior. So, not ALL in our heads!
But, now I don't care, so SOME of it was in our heads. And a lot of that was because we didn't feel pride in the BUILDING. There was a lot of deferred maintenance and we thought that reflected poorly on us. (Pedaling as fast as we could to fix everything.) The more we have done, the better we feel, the straighter we stand and the less grief we get.
So, yes, guests treat you the way you feel about yourself. But some of the guests are more likely than others to treat you badly. And that is definitely true if they think you are not the owners but 'just' employees.
Well said! We had the same issue with the building, especially cosmetic stuff inside...so we had an inferiority complex and if someone said anything that tapped into that it definitely got blown out of proportion.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki.
egoodell said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
InnsiderInfo said:
YES! AGREE! Without a photo or some info on the owners/innkeepers it is a hired staff. That is exactly the way I think as well. I have seen very nice very expensive websites lately that LACK that very important ingredient - personality. Without some info on who I am SLEEPING WITH - so the speak, I will go on to the next Inn on the list. Then, of course, we have the phone calls. You call to speak to a person and get the scoop on the place. Perhaps that is the reason so many inns on this forum get an overabundance of phone calls vs online bookings?
You know my site. There is a lot of personality on it! Since the photo went up last year the phone calls to book have not diminished. The online bookings have not gone up. I don't look for innkeeper photos when I book. I pretty much take the site as I find it as long as I can find the rooms and the prices and the breakfast info.
And I really only put the photo up on the site because Junie B Jones was so adamant about it and I respect her opinion.

I think many guests who choose to stay at bed and breakfast inns do so they can get to know the innkeepers and other guests. Granted you have some guests looking to be by themselves for a romantic weekend.
At our inn we have noticed that many of our guests choose our inn because they have read about our past and things we are currently interested in. This makes them more comfortable in choosing an inn that better fits their own personality and interests. Our Trip Advisor and bedandbreakfast.com reviews mention us frequently and the conversations we have with our guests..
Welcome to the forum.

JBJ - nice photos!!
Re pride of place - I do know. Having 3 w/shared for 10 years I felt I had to make up for the shared with service. Yes, I do say that if you are up front in every way about shared you CAN make it work - i did because I had to - but do believe private is the best. Anyway, with the private bath added in 2006, everything got better.

I absolutely agree that there should be at least a little personal information about the Innkeepers. I'm always a little suprised to see a B&B website that doesn't have a photo or a little blurb bout the Innkeepers. Doubly shocked to see sites that don't even have the NAMES of the Innkeepers. Seems more hotel-ish to me than B&B. Coming from 20 years in the hotel industry before opening our Inn, maybe I'm just sensitive to that and I won't book at any Inn not run hands-on by it's owners.
At our Inn, our "Assistant Innkeeping" dogs play a huge role. We're a pet friendly Inn, and thus get lots of dog lovers, even when they don't bring their own dogs. Very often, guests will walk in, we'll exchange friendly greetings, and even before they take their stuff to the room, they "Want to meet the girls". I've had people say "We booked this place because of the photos of the two of you and the girls".
The charm of B&B is this: There is such a wide variety of Inns & Innkeepers, that it's easy for guests to pick what they're comfortable with. If you want anonymity, you pick a website with little personal information about the keepers and maybe a continental type breakfast with a wide range of hours so you don't have to run into other guests or keepers if you don't feel like it. If you're gregarious and social, you choose an Inn with a more personal feeling website and a plated sit-down-together breakfast....and on and on. BUT, that being said....don't complain if your website is a little impersonal, and the guests you get are too.
My research shows that on TA, bedandbreakfast.com and other review sites, the most glowing reviews almost ALWAYS mention the Innkeepers by name. The Inn brings them in, but the Innkeepers make or break the stay. Some keepers don't get that, as shown by their reviews and their attitude. (These are the keepers who feel compelled to write a book in response to any review that has the slightest complaint, even when the review is generally positive).
Coming from the hotel background makes me appreciate my guests at the Inn all that much more. Compared to what I had to deal with as the manager of a 100 room hotel, this is a piece of cake where guests are concerned, even going into our seventh summer. Were I a retired executive from some other industry, I might not be so patient or appreciative of the typical B&B guest.

I absolutely agree that there should be at least a little personal information about the Innkeepers. I'm always a little suprised to see a B&B website that doesn't have a photo or a little blurb bout the Innkeepers. Doubly shocked to see sites that don't even have the NAMES of the Innkeepers. Seems more hotel-ish to me than B&B. Coming from 20 years in the hotel industry before opening our Inn, maybe I'm just sensitive to that and I won't book at any Inn not run hands-on by it's owners.
At our Inn, our "Assistant Innkeeping" dogs play a huge role. We're a pet friendly Inn, and thus get lots of dog lovers, even when they don't bring their own dogs. Very often, guests will walk in, we'll exchange friendly greetings, and even before they take their stuff to the room, they "Want to meet the girls". I've had people say "We booked this place because of the photos of the two of you and the girls".
The charm of B&B is this: There is such a wide variety of Inns & Innkeepers, that it's easy for guests to pick what they're comfortable with. If you want anonymity, you pick a website with little personal information about the keepers and maybe a continental type breakfast with a wide range of hours so you don't have to run into other guests or keepers if you don't feel like it. If you're gregarious and social, you choose an Inn with a more personal feeling website and a plated sit-down-together breakfast....and on and on. BUT, that being said....don't complain if your website is a little impersonal, and the guests you get are too.
My research shows that on TA, bedandbreakfast.com and other review sites, the most glowing reviews almost ALWAYS mention the Innkeepers by name. The Inn brings them in, but the Innkeepers make or break the stay. Some keepers don't get that, as shown by their reviews and their attitude. (These are the keepers who feel compelled to write a book in response to any review that has the slightest complaint, even when the review is generally positive).
Coming from the hotel background makes me appreciate my guests at the Inn all that much more. Compared to what I had to deal with as the manager of a 100 room hotel, this is a piece of cake where guests are concerned, even going into our seventh summer. Were I a retired executive from some other industry, I might not be so patient or appreciative of the typical B&B guest..
Little Blue Inn said:
Very good point. I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're absolutely correct, imho

Coming from the hotel background makes me appreciate my guests at the Inn all that much more. Compared to what I had to deal with as the manager of a 100 room hotel, this is a piece of cake where guests are concerned, even going into our seventh summer. Were I a retired executive from some other industry, I might not be so patient or appreciative of the typical B&B guest..
Great observation Little Blue Inn. and Welcome to Innspiring.com
welcome.gif

The Inn brings them in, but the Innkeepers make or break the stay.
I agree. When asked about who is my competition I reply that i have no competition because I am this inn and no one else has me. With a different owner, my inn will be a different inn. They will run it their way with their personality.

welcome.gif

Little Blue Inn said:
Coming from the hotel background makes me appreciate my guests at the Inn all that much more. Compared to what I had to deal with as the manager of a 100 room hotel, this is a piece of cake where guests are concerned, even going into our seventh summer. Were I a retired executive from some other industry, I might not be so patient or appreciative of the typical B&B guest.
Well said and welcome to the forum! I agree wholeheartedly.
welcome.gif

The whole reason we put our pics and short bio on the website is not to glorify ourselves, the photo is hideous and needs a new one. The whole reason is to be PERSONABLE. When someone sees our website they see us, and this is our home. We live here.
We do not however, ever say "Welcome to our home" at check in, I do not ever want to give the impression that they are staying in "suzie's bedroom" and have to tip toe around. We have all stayed in those "homestay" environments and guests simply DO NOT LIKE IT!
For this reason, we find guests respect our home. 75% of our guests make their beds daily even at check out. This is a perk! I appreciate this care.
Only on ocassion have we ever had a fling-a-ding-ding where they boozed it up and stayed in the room with their costco box of condoms. It happens, but not to the extent I hear about it at other inns.
We also have a small page on things we support, like CASA (Court Appointed SPecial Advocates) the only real hope for the 500,000 legally free foster kids in this country to find a Mom and Dad and a place at their table. By posting a bit of info on these things we dissuade the bad guests to find a hotel somewhere else!
I mentioned CASA as we are advocates and support this prgm. The only way our two children found a place to be loved and valued was due to the CASA program.
So for all of those who shy away from putting even a small blurb of info on your website, do it, you will be paid back in full.
I noted another inn on the forum a few weeks back whose website was overwhelmingly into something. As a guest, I appreciated that, as I would not stay there, but likeminded guests would! So it is a win win!
cheers.gif

Oh and as mentioned in the past if you want "impersonal" stay at a LARGE inn, they MUST hire everything out, so don't except to find them lingering around giving assistance and info after brekkie.

Back