How to handle the topic of broken furniture

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE: This must really be my week.
I just received an nasty email from the guest who damaged the room and broke the chair.
She claims she needed to leave early due to an emergency. Not true - She was still here at 12 noon when check out was at 11 am
She claims she did not have a pleasant stay and that her room was dirty:
Not true - we have rave reviews on Trip Advisor about how clean we are and hold this to a very high standard.
She writes (this is edited) I really did not have a good weekend at all. It's unfortunate that we weren't able to cross paths to discuss all this (including the damage to the chair) I am unemployed, and was looking to come to your inn for a de-stressing weekend, and really had more stress and discomfort than I bargained for.
Really? Its not like I don't live here. Its not like I'm unreachable.
Its not like I don't have 2 contact phone numbers in each room that you can call using the telephone IN YOUR ROOM.
She claims she left a 'rather bad' review on trip advisor.
NOW I'M JUST PISSED....grrrrrr

I just received an nasty email from the guest who damaged the room and broke the chair.
She claims she needed to leave early due to an emergency. Not true - She was still here at 12 noon when check out was at 11 am
Not true - we have rave reviews on Trip Advisor about how clean we are and hold this to a very high standard.
She writes (this is edited) I really did not have a good weekend at all. It's unfortunate that we weren't able to cross paths to discuss all this (including the damage to the chair) I am unemployed, and was looking to come to your inn for a de-stressing weekend, and really had more stress and discomfort than I bargained for.
Its not like I don't have 2 contact phone numbers in each room that you can call using the telephone IN YOUR ROOM.
NOW I'M JUST PISSED....grrrrrr.
Well, if she left a bad TA review then all is over. If you've charged her for the chair and the other issues then that's it. If you haven't you really have no reason not to as she pretty much did the worst she could already.
You ARE having a bad week.

NOW I'M JUST PISSED....grrrrrr.
So, she trashed the room, did damage, left an hour after check out, didn't communicate with you during her stay at all despite having contact information to reach you, and raced home to dump on oyu on TA?
Perfect.......
That should be a pretty easy review for any reasonable, sane readers to sift through and see it for what it is.
It also will be an opportunity for you AND your partners to craft a very professional and rational management response in order to preserve the good reputation of ALL of your investments.

How big was the guest in weight terms?
How often do you personally check out the furniture as far as looking for cracks in legs, other damage?
Could it have been already cracked and this guest simply sent it over the edge?
Take a digital photo of it immediately before moving it or touching it in any way if you can.
Call the guest as soon as you can and ask in the most innocent and non-threatening voice you can muster about any "accidents" that may have happened in the room.
See what their response is. If they deny anything happened in general, then ask about the broken item and see if they are evasive or defensive.
If you intend to charge for the damage, you must be pretty certain it was non-accidental. Be ready for the bad will generated, but if you're convinced they did it intentionally or malicously, stand your ground.
Calculate or research the original cost of the chair, figure out how many years it been in service, its condition, etc. and come up with a fair amount, not full cost replacement.
Remember, you've written it off as an expense on your taxes, its been used for some time, etc..
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
How often do you personally check out the furniture as far as looking for cracks in legs, other damage?
Take a digital photo of it immediately before moving it or touching it in any way if you can.
Call the guest as soon as you can and ask in the most innocent and non-threatening voice you can muster about any "accidents" that may have happened in the room.
See what their response is. If they deny anything happened in general, then ask about the broken item and see if they are evasive or defensive.
If you intend to charge for the damage, you must be pretty certain it was non-accidental. Be ready for the bad will generated, but if you're convinced they did it intentionally or malicously, stand your ground.
Calculate or research the original cost of the chair, figure out how many years it been in service, its condition, etc. and come up with a fair amount, not full cost replacement.
Remember, you've written it off as an expense on your taxes, its been used for some time, etc.
She was not a large woman, but an odd one. She gave me instructions on what she would and would not eat, but then never came to breakfast for the duration of her stay. She also never left her room except at night, so her room was never freshened while she was here. She was here to recover from a large and expensive tattoo. But when she left, she snuck out so quietly, no one heard her leave.
In the room we found burnt matches on the carpet, food remains put in the dresser drawers, candle wax in the carpet and the broken chair. I have never had so much damage in a room.
The powers that be want me take the chair over to the local furniture repair man and see what it will cost to fix it. Then it will be discussed and I will have to call her and tell her we are charging her for the damages.
The Farmers Daughter said:
The powers that be want me take the chair over to the local furniture repair man and see what it will cost to fix it. Then it will be discussed and I will have to call her and tell her we are charging her for the damages.
Is there ANY involvement of any kind in this business by the owner at all there? I mean aside from the bank deposit and withdrawal end of things.
Seems like for all the issues this particular B&B has happen to it, the glaring abscence of an owner's involvement except in the forcing dictates on you appears to be very telling to me.
Has any of these "discussions" ever resulted in the owner actually:
a.) Taking your side on anything?
b.) The owner handling a problem themselves?
c.) You ever not being forced to do exactly what is the easiest for the owner and problem guest, but always hardest on you?
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Is there ANY involvement of any kind in this business by the owner at all there? I mean aside from the bank deposit and withdrawal end of things.
Seems like for all the issues this particular B&B has happen to it, the glaring abscence of an owner's involvement except in the forcing dictates on you appears to be very telling to me.
c.) You ever not being forced to do exactly what is the easiest for the owner and problem guest, but always hardest on you?
Rarely because we are a mulit partner investment group.
The senior partners are active in other industries. Major owners of this business, but working 'real' jobs and living elsewhere.
I have the smallest $ investment here, but I am the hands on/live in for the B & B.
This brings a lot of diversity (not to mention, business savvey and a few BIG egos) to the business. One is a broadway set designer, one is a French trained Chef, one with a NYC fashion background).
There is a monthly business meeting and many telephone conversations, but the bottom line is I answer to everyone else and am basically the low rung on the ladder.
How big is this place? How many rooms?
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
It is a total of 6 to include:
1 - 800 sq ' luxury cottage with fireplace, jacuzzi and private garden.
2 - Luxury suites with Fireplaces and Jacuzzis.
3 - elegant/upscale guestrooms.
Front, side and rear gardens with fountains on property. I do it all except cut the grass.
Ok, so if the joint is so upscale, how the heck do you keep attracting so many schmucks?
There has to be some disconnect going on between the perceived luxury and upscale nature of the place and the low brow type of clientele its attracting.
I mean, people have called me the "bad guest magnet" around here, but both the number of horror stories and the intensity of them which you've had to singlehandedly deal with in the short time you've even just been sharing here, pales in comparison.
At least in most of the rest of our cases here, we can all go tell a lousy guest to take a leap or refuse service. You don't seem to have the power to do any of that and you're answering financially to what seems to be a sizable group of people that are completely inexperienced with the nuances and workings of a B&B type establishment.
Maybe great business people in their own realms or specialties, but at six rooms, no matter how luxurious or high priced, this doesn't seem to be a big enough venture to warrant this level of micromanagement.
I don't know, not trying to second guess you, just making some observations based on what you share and the turmoil you constantly are dealing with.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Ok, so if the joint is so upscale, how the heck do you keep attracting so many schmucks?
There has to be some disconnect going on between the perceived luxury and upscale nature of the place and the low brow type of clientele its attracting.
FYI - Please don't misunderstand. My parking lot is filled with BMW's, Lexus' and Jags. These are not lowbrow people. They are upscale folks with money. Many who are unfortuately arrogant, self involved and extremely demanding.
I mean, people have called me the "bad guest magnet" around here, but both the number of horror stories and the intensity of them which you've had to singlehandedly deal with in the short time you've even just been sharing here, pales in comparison.
At least in most of the rest of our cases here, we can all go tell a lousy guest to take a leap or refuse service. You don't seem to have the power to do any of that and you're answering financially to what seems to be a sizable group of people that are completely inexperienced with the nuances and workings of a B&B type establishment.
Maybe great business people in their own realms or specialties, but at six rooms, no matter how luxurious or high priced, this doesn't seem to be a big enough venture to warrant this level of micromanagement.
I don't know, not trying to second guess you, just making some observations based on what you share and the turmoil you constantly are dealing with.

Remember, you've written it off as an expense on your taxes, its been used for some time, etc..
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Remember, you've written it off as an expense on your taxes, its been used for some time, etc.
She was not a large woman, but an odd one. She gave me instructions on what she would and would not eat, but then never came to breakfast for the duration of her stay. She also never left her room except at night, so her room was never freshened while she was here. She was here to recover from a large and expensive tattoo. But when she left, she snuck out so quietly, no one heard her leave.
In the room we found burnt matches on the carpet, food remains put in the dresser drawers, candle wax in the carpet and the broken chair. I have never had so much damage in a room.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
The senior partners are active in other industries. Major owners of this business, but working 'real' jobs and living elsewhere.
I have the smallest $ investment here, but I am the hands on/live in for the B & B.
This brings a lot of diversity (not to mention, business savvey and a few BIG egos) to the business. One is a broadway set designer, one is a French trained Chef, one with a NYC fashion background).
There is a monthly business meeting and many telephone conversations, but the bottom line is I answer to everyone else and am basically the low rung on the ladder.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Front, side and rear gardens with fountains on property. I do it all except cut the grass.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
FYI - Please don't misunderstand. My parking lot is filled with BMW's, Lexus' and Jags. These are not lowbrow people. They are upscale folks with money. Many who are unfortuately arrogant, self involved and extremely demanding.
Which is why I've spent my entire life trying to learn how not to judge a book by its cover. If fancy cars or outer trappings automatically included manners and/or tact, we'd all run out and get one.
I can't express just how much empathy I feel for you whenever one of these things happens because I feel like you've been put in a really tough spot by the majority partners. I'm relieved to read that you do have some equity interest in the property, but I'd feel a lot better when these things happen if you were empowered enough to deal with them as you see fit.
Especially in light of being the only hands on, on site member of the partnership.
I really do struggle with how to provide even one little tidbit of useful or relevant help to you in all of these struggles that keep popping up, so I hope you don't think I'm trying to over analyize your individual circumstances.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
The ones who you've been reporting on here are 'lowbrows' no matter what cars they're showing up in. In this case, money hasn't made them better people. Nouveau riche is a great way to describe it.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
I don't know how you all put the box around what has been said.
Well she does sounds weird. I will say that my remark of this is part of the buisness might just not apply to someone like this. I am shaking my head here.
This is just too odd. Go with your feeling on this one. I will be interested in hearing how it plays out.
The other way is to copy and paste what you want, then highlight the text and click the button with the upside-down quote mark on it. It will give you the box, but just won't list who said it.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Well she does sounds weird. I will say that my remark of this is part of the buisness might just not apply to someone like this. I am shaking my head here.
This is just too odd. Go with your feeling on this one. I will be interested in hearing how it plays out.
The other way is to copy and paste what you want, then highlight the text and click the button with the upside-down quote mark on it. It will give you the box, but just won't list who said it.
Oooh! I didn't know that. I wondered how THAT was done!

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
"FYI - Please don't misunderstand. My parking lot is filled with BMW's, Lexus' and Jags. These are not lowbrow people. They are upscale folks with money. Many who are unfortuately arrogant, self involved and extremely demanding."
[h2]I thought this woman said she was UNEMPLOYED.[/h2]

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
"FYI - Please don't misunderstand. My parking lot is filled with BMW's, Lexus' and Jags. These are not lowbrow people. They are upscale folks with money. Many who are unfortuately arrogant, self involved and extremely demanding."
[h2]I thought this woman said she was UNEMPLOYED.[/h2]
SweetiePie said:
I thought this woman said she was UNEMPLOYED.
There is a delay between being unemployed and the arrival of the repo-man. Maybe that's who she was hiding out from at the B&B.
teeth_smile.gif

If someone deliberately broke something then charge them but can you prove it? Damage does happen! I had a very heavy man break one of my chairs. He did NOT tell me. I still would not have charged him. I'm sure he didn't intend to break the chair.
All of this damage in the room is a good reminder that even if people do not want you to come and tidy the room it's a good idea to make a point of going in anyway. Say you have to empty the garbage or something if they are in the room but DO go into the room to ensure that all is well!!!

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
.... I answer to everyone else and am basically the low rung on the ladder.
Basically, sh_t runs down hill.
cry_smile.gif
I used to work for the government. I feel your pain.

If someone deliberately broke something then charge them but can you prove it? Damage does happen! I had a very heavy man break one of my chairs. He did NOT tell me. I still would not have charged him. I'm sure he didn't intend to break the chair.
All of this damage in the room is a good reminder that even if people do not want you to come and tidy the room it's a good idea to make a point of going in anyway. Say you have to empty the garbage or something if they are in the room but DO go into the room to ensure that all is well!!!.
ginocat said:
All of this damage in the room is a good reminder that even if people do not want you to come and tidy the room it's a good idea to make a point of going in anyway. Say you have to empty the garbage or something if they are in the room but DO go into the room to ensure that all is well!!!
But what about their precious privacy we all are supposed to respect so dearly?
The fire danger, burnt matches, candle wax, general trash left, and undoubtedly bedding stains from the tattoo are not incidental, "Oh, chalk it up to normal wear and tear of running a B&B" type things in my opinion.
When one gets a tattoo, the immediate process is to keep it covered with vaseline. I'm sure someone this inconsiderate barely gave it a second thought to make sure she didn't get some of that on the bedding or towels.
I'm with you on the need to take a peek in a room at least every other day if the guest just camps out in there, doesn't even come down for breakfast and generally appears like they are hiding out from something.
Our feeling here is that, you start your stay with a big, long piece of rope, with each transgression or inconsideration, the rope gets shortened. Eventually, if the rope gets too short, we step in and deal with the issue before a room gets totally trashed, the house potentially gets burned down, or other guest's stays are negatively impacted.
What kind of kills me is that most of the wonderful, kind, generous of spirit guests most of us get regularly barely have the free time ot go write good reviews for us. But every a-hole in the world, who presents us with a myriad of issues during their stay has all the time on the world to go slam any of us, even when we do our best to ignore their lousy behavior.

Yes, try and stop the damage from happening. I would have had the house burn down a couple of times. Once someone had draped their wet clothes over the gas fireplace. The clothes were weighted down wet on top of the oak mantle with my books! The fire was on high. I got there before too much damage was done. I did speak to the guests about it. When I was away someone did something similar with some (I'm guessing) raingear because I have two rubber patches burnt onto the glass. My innsitter didn't think to go in to check the room when privacy was requested. She didn't notice the damage. I suspect which guest it was but can't prove it. Darn, double darn but it's the cost of doing business.
sad_smile.gif
I have removed candles and left a note saying that I did so. I have removed wet clothing from lampshades.
None of this was malicious - it was simply stupidity!!! People will do strange things when they are paying to stay. We still don't get as much damage as hotels and we should be thankful for small blessings that not every guest will do these kinds of things.

Yes, try and stop the damage from happening. I would have had the house burn down a couple of times. Once someone had draped their wet clothes over the gas fireplace. The clothes were weighted down wet on top of the oak mantle with my books! The fire was on high. I got there before too much damage was done. I did speak to the guests about it. When I was away someone did something similar with some (I'm guessing) raingear because I have two rubber patches burnt onto the glass. My innsitter didn't think to go in to check the room when privacy was requested. She didn't notice the damage. I suspect which guest it was but can't prove it. Darn, double darn but it's the cost of doing business.
sad_smile.gif
I have removed candles and left a note saying that I did so. I have removed wet clothing from lampshades.
None of this was malicious - it was simply stupidity!!! People will do strange things when they are paying to stay. We still don't get as much damage as hotels and we should be thankful for small blessings that not every guest will do these kinds of things..
ginocat said:
... Once someone had draped their wet clothes over the gas fireplace. The clothes were weighted down wet on top of the oak mantle with my books! ... someone did something similar with some...raingear... I have removed wet clothing from lampshades.
You've inspired me!
smiley-char124.gif
I'm going to put up a clothesline behind our cottages for guests use. Whenever DW and I travel, we travel light carrying only about three changes of clothes that can be washed in the sink and hung up to dry. We usually carry a travel clothesline that hangs over the tub. So, we can really see that this would be a need (and could be considered an added amenity)

Update - The room wrecking/chair busting guest is now deep in the throes of the "Dance of Denial". One nasty, contradicting email after another.
She at first admitted to breaking the chair and now a more recent email says she may have partial blame because the chair was breaking on its own. ( on what planet do chairs spontaniously disassemble?) This saga will continue. I'll keep you posted.

Update - The room wrecking/chair busting guest is now deep in the throes of the "Dance of Denial". One nasty, contradicting email after another.
She at first admitted to breaking the chair and now a more recent email says she may have partial blame because the chair was breaking on its own. ( on what planet do chairs spontaniously disassemble?) This saga will continue. I'll keep you posted..
She at first admitted to breaking the chair and now a more recent email says she may have partial blame because the chair was breaking on its own. ( on what planet do chairs spontaniously disassemble?) This saga will continue. I'll keep you posted.
spontaniously disassemble I hope Yellowsocks grabbed that one for the glossary of terms here.

That evil witch has returned. Now she is claiming the we forged her credit card slip, therefore the charges are invalid. Can you freakin' believe this?
Suggestions? I

That evil witch has returned. Now she is claiming the we forged her credit card slip, therefore the charges are invalid. Can you freakin' believe this?
Suggestions? I.
Is this the same person who then wrote the nasty review?
Is she contesting charges for the damages or charges for the stay?
I'm sorry you're having to deal with this nasty person on this nasty cold, rainy Friday...hope the weekend gets better for you.

Suggestions? I.
I'm sorry you're having to deal with this nasty person on this nasty cold, rainy Friday...hope the weekend gets better for you.
InnsiderInfo said:
Yes, the same person indeed.

Back