I need to check a date?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUESTION:
As a guest or person looking to book a room, would you:
a) prefer the person who owns or runs the place have no answer and put you off, and/or tell you to visit a website to check? or
b) have a machine answer saying "sorry we missed your call while we are working hard here at the inn...you can check availability any time and reserve on line at..."
Just wondering.
a) would make me mad as a caller, I would think, WHY THE HECK ARE YOU FRIGGIN' ANSWERIN' THE PHONE THEN!
Just thought I would share my very vocal opinion on this. Are you actually assisting the guests by not having an answer for them, as that is the reason they called.
angel_smile.gif
I hear what your saying JB. This is a hard thing to do. I try and answer every phone call that comes in. Regardless if I can help them with knowing what I have open for the time they are requesting. I think it's better to at least have a warm body on the other end of a phone rather then a machine. But even if I do not have the answer in front of me I try and help them in a way they an very easily get the answer. Most of the time they have other questions and I can answer them. It's the calls I get to just check on what we have open that gets frustrating sometimes when the answer is looking them in te face. 95% of the time they are on our website when they call.
Bob said:
It's the calls I get to just check on what we have open that gets frustrating sometimes when the answer is looking them in te face. 95% of the time they are on our website when they call.
This is where you need that little blurb that says this is the same calendar we look at when you call.

As many of you know, I have only last September started to use a reservation system. Until then, I answered the phone and dropped everything for that phone call. this is the point (the phone inquiry) where you can sell your place. So, never answer the phone if not able to help immediately.
Now I love my fairly recent purchase of an iPhone, I can be in a cottage cleaning it, answer the phone and I am able to see my calendar, thus help the guest and I can also take a reservation right then and there.
I am tired of the unending questions myself. Why do we bother to describe and explain everything if no one reads it? I have also taken to sending a little note 14 days ahead of the guest's arrival to give them some ideas on what to expect, in case they didn't read the other info readily available on my confirmation. All in an effort to avoid yet more *&$%* questions
Dear {{guestfirstname}} {{guestlastname}},
Your trip to "the most beautiful place in America" is almost here. The beach is ready!
Provided for you are bed linens, towels, soap, coffee.
Cooking is not allowed in cottages without kitchens. Please do not bring your indoor grills, microwave ovens, etc.
We do NOT provide hair dryers or liquid shampoo.

Make sure to pack your bathing suits, beach towels, hiking shoes, binoculars, bicycles, paddle boards, etc., and get ready for some rest, relaxation and fun in the sun.
Before leaving home, make sure to do this:
<a href="http://www.visitbenzie.com/passport-to-fun-70">Passport to fun</a> ;)

and do this if you have a smartphone:
download this FREE app "Traverse Traveler". It is filled with suggestions for restaurants, wineries, services, entertainment, etc.

If, at the time you made your reservation, you entered your cell phone number, we will send a text, if your cottage is ready before the official
check-in time!

We are looking forward to your visit,
Mike and Iris

Back