If they all had common sense...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL.
I have had people ask if they could check in late, at 4 instead of 3, but never had them worry about leaving early.

My cleaner is an employee. And yes, we pay all the taxes, purchase the workman's comp, etc etc. I have been approached by "cleaning services" which are just cleaners who have multiple houses. MY house is 7500 sq.ft. After a wedding weekend we have to clean it all!! Other weeks we have two guest rooms and the public spaces to clean. We cannot function with "one day a week" or "come in and do what you want to do"--unlikely to meet my requirements OR damage my historic house. (Cleaners are often hard enough on the facility!)
We are a business (not a hobby) so everything has to be done to the highest standards and in a timely manner. No excuses. I've seen B&B.com reviews reflective of the times when I had a great cleaner and when I had a lazy one.
I try to assign/manage my cleaner's time so I get what I need but don't waste money on extra hours. They work on the tasks at hand and are sent home when it is complete. I have a few "make work" tasks (things we don't get to in the normal course) but this is part-time--when I need them.
I am actually happy the employee who had 3 other jobs and put me #4 quit. She only wanted to work when SHE wanted to work with was NOT workable!
We don't require they work on weekends UNLESS we have special needs we can't handle on our own (1-3 times a year). Rooms checked out on Sunday do sit until Monday; we usually clean one ourselves "just in case" we have a walk in. So, someone with a child in school, able to work "any weekday needed" 9-2 or 9-3 works out well.
Worker working on the schedule I outlined IS an employee (not a contract worker) so dealing with the employee status is necessary. And if you think you can get around it, think again. My husband's boss at one time (a wealthy attorney) thought it was OK to pay his housekeeper a flat monthly fee like she as a contract worker. He was caught by the IRS and fined about one year's salary for his employee.
One more thing: awhile back we hired an employee and registered her with the state as usual. We had gone a year without one during the recession but could finally hire again. The state sent us a sizable "hiring bonus" for hiring someone who was not already in the work force. That was rather nice.... Remember, this is NOT the sort of thing our state (Tennessee) gets behind; there are virtually no regular benefits to help attract or keep business. (I was on the econ. dev. board for awhile).

I don't want to point to drugs, steroids, fast food, stupid parenting, TV or drugs, but there seems to be more and more people whose brains "don't work right."
I have an employee who might do just what your guests did--she can only think of one thing at a time, but can get sidetracked onto a one-lane side yard.... Sometimes I liken her to a squirrel in traffic. She's a great cleaner but you have to be VERY SPECIFIC with your instructions.
On Tuesday she took the rugs out of bathrooms to shake them so on Friday I said, clean the rooms and take the rugs out to shake them. Next thing you know she had the BIG RUGS out of the guest rooms, too!!! Well, now, the floors under the beds are very clean. It took an extra 1/2 hour per room on Friday. Geez.
I'm a person with lots of nuances in my language and my thinking. Adapting to this employee is quit a challenge. Even writing it down can be a challenge, both for us and for her. Eventually we'll get it all straight but in the meanwhile, I dislike management even more than ever..
Mountain City host said:
I don't want to point to drugs, steroids, fast food, stupid parenting, TV or drugs, but there seems to be more and more people whose brains "don't work right."
I have an employee who might do just what your guests did--she can only think of one thing at a time, but can get sidetracked onto a one-lane side yard.... Sometimes I liken her to a squirrel in traffic. She's a great cleaner but you have to be VERY SPECIFIC with your instructions.
On Tuesday she took the rugs out of bathrooms to shake them so on Friday I said, clean the rooms and take the rugs out to shake them. Next thing you know she had the BIG RUGS out of the guest rooms, too!!! Well, now, the floors under the beds are very clean. It took an extra 1/2 hour per room on Friday. Geez.
I'm a person with lots of nuances in my language and my thinking. Adapting to this employee is quit a challenge. Even writing it down can be a challenge, both for us and for her. Eventually we'll get it all straight but in the meanwhile, I dislike management even more than ever.
Is your employee online? This is a public forum and you have your name and B&B on every post... just sayin'...
This forum has some powerful SEO and when someone searches for your B&B it will come up.
Changed my ID; any way to delete something on this forum?

Another thread gone awry...
I actually thought the original post was cute and funny.
Pretty sure Iris was not asking how to word her check out times, and the general downfall of humanity.
shades_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Another thread gone awry...
I actually thought the original post was cute and funny.
Pretty sure Iris was not asking how to word her check out times, and the general downfall of humanity.
shades_smile.gif
zactly, wth, heeehee

That is funny. One for the books.
It always amazes me how some take everything so literal. But I would rather that then the ones that think 10am check out means anytime before 11am.
wink_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
That is funny. One for the books.
It always amazes me how some take everything so literal. But I would rather that then the ones that think 10am check out means anytime before 11am.
wink_smile.gif
yes, or the ones that completely miss the mark by thinking check in is at 10 and they can just mosey home at 3. LOL
Often we wonder how they made their way in life, or did they?

See now, my thought was these folks were older. Iris, what was their age group?
Years ao, My dad (RIP) got confused driving to a wedding with my mother and they drove all the way HOME to start at the beginning..
seashanty said:
See now, my thought was these folks were older. Iris, what was their age group?
Years ao, My dad (RIP) got confused driving to a wedding with my mother and they drove all the way HOME to start at the beginning.
oh dear. that's terrible.
They were past 60, I think

I'm a person with lots of nuances in my language and my thinking. Adapting to this employee is quit a challenge. Even writing it down can be a challenge, both for us and for her. Eventually we'll get it all straight but in the meanwhile, I dislike management even more than ever..
Mountain City host said:
I'm a person with lots of nuances in my language and my thinking. Adapting to this employee is quit a challenge. Even writing it down can be a challenge, both for us and for her. Eventually we'll get it all straight but in the meanwhile, I dislike management even more than ever.
Is your employee online? This is a public forum and you have your name and B&B on every post... just sayin'...
This forum has some powerful SEO and when someone searches for your B&B it will come up.
IF the word EDIT appears under the box with reply, you can go in and reword, delete, whatever. Otherwise only SWIRT can delete - that is when someone has done "quote".

Mountain City host said:
Garden_Pix_Inn said:
One more little detail...your photo. :)

Mountain City host said:
Garden_Pix_Inn said:
I changed to the flower. Are you seeing a mug shot somewhere I'm not? Thanks.

Mountain City host said:
Garden_Pix_Inn said:
Mug shot still showing!

Mountain City host said:
Garden_Pix_Inn said:
Mug shot still showing!
You have to refresh the page. I see the flower now.

Mountain City host said:
Garden_Pix_Inn said:
Mug shot still showing!
You have to refresh the page. I see the flower now.
thumbs_up.gif

Yes, we clearly post that check-out is before 10:30 am. That makes it clear that they can leave anytime as long as it is before the appointed time. But kudos to them for being so considerate of you! What time did they check in?.
Well, told the current pair "check out by 11" and we'll see if they are about on time or earlier (since they parked their kids for the weekend and have nothing much to do.) WE need to hit the road to go pick up some furniture in Nashville. I've had a few all-out by 9:40 a.m. on Sunday but it is NEVER when we have somewhere we want to go. Murphy's Law, LOL!
At the same time, we are TESTING/TRUSTING the literal employee with feeding the cats and cleaning 3 rooms in our absence--a first for her. I have the specific list written and double checked. We packaged the cat food for her so no measuring. And we'll see how it goes. She cleans our cottage on her own so now we'll see how she does with part of the inn. Allowing 5 "office hours" for us to "fix" anything which is not right "just in case."

Back