If two of you are running the business???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do have our normal chores spread out pretty evenly. So that's not an issue. It's trying to avoid like Morticia said, the "no you go" or "it's your turn" dilema. We think that if we can figure out how to do this at least a day or two a week, then mentally one of us is prepared at the beginning of the day to handle all "Incoming"
wink_smile.gif
, as far as guests and phones go. We would still do what needed to be done chore wise. We're coming into our 6th year doing this and are still learning every day!.
Aha! So y'all just need to figure out check-in/concierge duty details. I think it's a great idea to switch off, then the guests get to have a bit of a different spin on the greeting. And if you're just plain pooped, they don't get subjected to a potentially cranky innkeeper. ;-)

• Outside innkeeper
  • Innside innkeeper
Ne'er the two shall meet...
Basically you do what you are better at, me thinks. For those who have the archaic thinking of "the man" should be in charge of the finances - not the 'little woman' - but the man is no good with the finances, then that is called foolishness. If one of you excels at one aspect then I think it is fair enough for that person to take charge of that area.
When we first bought the B&B we were both here (very briefly) and of course then, it was fun. Now it is more "YOU GET IT!" "NO YOU GET IT!"
I would schedule it out if I had a big project on, let the partner answer the phone and check in guests and vice versa. Otherwise "Many hands make light work"

Basically, I ran the business but if I had a busy schedule (I also am involved in a lot of community work), I would ask my dh to do the evening check-ins when he got home from work so that I could at least put my feet up for awhile.
Imvho, if you are both full-time owner/innkeepers you have to work out some kind of system or job descriptions where the workload is shared fairly evenly or one business partner can get resentful of doing more in the business. You need to play to your strengths to an extent, but there is a lot of physical work that needs to be shared (or hired out) or you can just get plain exhausted. For example, to me it wouldn't be fair to me if one partner is doing all the housework and the other one is entering data.
Better to handle this right away than wait for resentment to build up. And as much as we might love our guests, sometimes we get tired of telling "our story" and appreciate the other half taking a turn.
I think you're very wise to try and figure this out! :).
Samster said:
For example, to me it wouldn't be fair to me if one partner is doing all the housework and the other one is entering data.
Better to handle this right away than wait for resentment to build up. And as much as we might love our guests, sometimes we get tired of telling "our story" and appreciate the other half taking a turn.
During tax time dh cleaned for two weeks while I got (finally!) caught up on paperwork. I don't think either of us minded. Well, dh minded in that he found out just how hard women work, but that's a separate thread...
We have told each other (or at least, I say it often) we must not allow ourselves to resent the other, but respect that we're both working hard at this and we both need a break sometimes.
=)
Kk.

• Outside innkeeper
  • Innside innkeeper
Ne'er the two shall meet...
Basically you do what you are better at, me thinks. For those who have the archaic thinking of "the man" should be in charge of the finances - not the 'little woman' - but the man is no good with the finances, then that is called foolishness. If one of you excels at one aspect then I think it is fair enough for that person to take charge of that area.
When we first bought the B&B we were both here (very briefly) and of course then, it was fun. Now it is more "YOU GET IT!" "NO YOU GET IT!"
I would schedule it out if I had a big project on, let the partner answer the phone and check in guests and vice versa. Otherwise "Many hands make light work".
Not good when you are both the innside & outside innkeeper, though. I've seen that a fair amount of time. Usually if one owner has the second full-time job and is working more than 40 hours in that. Just talked to an innkeeper friend in another State who is totally exhausted from doing everything and occupancy is down so no moolah to hire additional help. :-( Somehow we just push through it........24/7!

I tend to deal with bookings and cook breakfast as I worked in large hotels and worked in those departments he used to be a restaurant manager so is good with serving and customer service. He has a good eye for detail and likes looking on the internet for bargains. I have a better knowledge of what each room looks like and can carry them in my mind when shopping for curtains or replacement furniture. I tend to be better at doing several things at once but he is more logical. We split it by our strengths. Oh and when I have a bath he has to hold everything till I get out! I have to have at least 20 minutes of peace and quiet a day.

Back