Quantcast

Innkeeping--Independent Study Topic

INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources

Help Support INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources:

ecj0320

Reaction score
Hello all!
I am an Aspiring Innkeeper that has been lurking for a couple of weeks. I am studying Hospitality Management at the present.
Anywho, I would like all the "innspiring" knowledge from this forum.

I am a senior and may be taking a independent study class. We are able to chose our topic and I would like to do innkeeping. However, I am afraid the dept. head may believe it is too generalized. So, I am coming to you guys/gals for your innkeeping knowledge...
If anyone has ideas, topics, projects, etc. I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks!

JBloggs

Reaction score
A topic idea?
How about why a guest chooses a BnB over a hotel?

ecj0320

Reaction score
*UPDATE*
Did not realize my advisor was going to reply back to me so quickly, considering it's still summer break.
He did say I could do Bed & Breakfast as a whole. YAY!
However, he said I needed to find a textbook!

Any ideas?

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
*UPDATE*
Did not realize my advisor was going to reply back to me so quickly, considering it's still summer break.
He did say I could do Bed & Breakfast as a whole. YAY!
However, he said I needed to find a textbook!

Any ideas?.
There are two books I recommend:
So, You Want to be an Innkeeper? by Jo Ann M. Bell, Susan Brown, Mary Davies, and Pat Hardy
Opening and Operating a Bed & Breakfast in the 21st Century: Your Step-by-Step Guide to Inn Keeping Success with Professional Online Marketing Strategies by Amelia Painter
You can also get great information and resources from PAII
Good luck!

Reaction score
Also "Complete IDIOT'S Guide to Running a Bed and Breakfast" orange and white cover.By Park Davis and Susannah Craig. Printed by Alpha Books...Mary at Bridgewater Inn Va.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a new one called Operating a Bed & Breakfast for Dummies - I think that is it. Cannot find it right now. I was supposed to review it. Read some and it looks pretty good.
Read several books - each is written from a different perspective. Aspiring Seminars are each different depending on the facilitator. My own emphasis is on marketing because I think that is where a lot of them need help.

wendydk

Reaction score
There is a new one called Operating a Bed & Breakfast for Dummies - I think that is it. Cannot find it right now. I was supposed to review it. Read some and it looks pretty good.
Read several books - each is written from a different perspective. Aspiring Seminars are each different depending on the facilitator. My own emphasis is on marketing because I think that is where a lot of them need help..
I just read Operating a Bed & Breakfast for Dummies....I really like it, am a big fan of dummies books. Plus, I have read pretty much every how to book on B&B's ever. I have dozens. I have to say that this one and the "Complete Idiot's Guide to running a Bed & Breakfast" were my favorites. The Upstart Guide was pretty good too.
I was even compelled to write my own 91 page ebook about starting up a small Inn.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
Read several books - each is written from a different perspective. Aspiring Seminars are each different depending on the facilitator. My own emphasis is on marketing because I think that is where a lot of them need help..
I just read Operating a Bed & Breakfast for Dummies....I really like it, am a big fan of dummies books. Plus, I have read pretty much every how to book on B&B's ever. I have dozens. I have to say that this one and the "Complete Idiot's Guide to running a Bed & Breakfast" were my favorites. The Upstart Guide was pretty good too.
I was even compelled to write my own 91 page ebook about starting up a small Inn.
Cool. Are you selling this some place? Feel free to add it to the resources if you want.

wendydk

Reaction score
Cool. Are you selling this some place? Feel free to add it to the resources if you want.
I've sold a couple dozen from our website at $25 a pop. I will list in resources...thanks Swirt!

gillumhouse

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have mine on CD. Maybe I should sell it on my site....... Hmmmm

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I always wanted to write a book entitled
" What I found under the bed. Personal insights of an Innkeeper ."

JBloggs

Reaction score
" What I found under the bed. Personal insights of an Innkeeper .".
The Farmers Daughter said:
" What I found under the bed. Personal insights of an Innkeeper ."
That wouldn't be as exciting if I wrote it...the answer would be:
sock

Proud Texan

Reaction score
Also "Complete IDIOT'S Guide to Running a Bed and Breakfast" orange and white cover.By Park Davis and Susannah Craig. Printed by Alpha Books...Mary at Bridgewater Inn Va..
Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage said:
Also "Complete IDIOT'S Guide to Running a Bed and Breakfast" orange and white cover.By Park Davis and Susannah Craig. Printed by Alpha Books...Mary at Bridgewater Inn Va.
Must have been written for me. <heavy sigh>

Latest posts