Innspired Cookbook?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all! I've been lurking around here for a while and decided it was finally time to register and start posting.
I make my own little cookbook. I have 4x6 old fashioned post cards with an illistration of my inn on them. I print the 4x6 recipes on my computer, place them between the postcards, give it a 2 hole punch, then tie a pretty ribbon in the holes. They are so popular, I can't keep up with making them sometimes. I sell them for $6 apiece. I've questioned my guests before about whether I should publish the cookbook and they've all said NO.....they like that it's homemade and special. It's a nice little revenue stream. I make hundreds of dollars each year just on these little cookbooks.

Hello all! I've been lurking around here for a while and decided it was finally time to register and start posting.
I make my own little cookbook. I have 4x6 old fashioned post cards with an illistration of my inn on them. I print the 4x6 recipes on my computer, place them between the postcards, give it a 2 hole punch, then tie a pretty ribbon in the holes. They are so popular, I can't keep up with making them sometimes. I sell them for $6 apiece. I've questioned my guests before about whether I should publish the cookbook and they've all said NO.....they like that it's homemade and special. It's a nice little revenue stream. I make hundreds of dollars each year just on these little cookbooks..
Wow I like that idea. I've had people ask for my recipies. But almost all of mine are from other sources, which is why I don't want to get involved with a cookbook formally. I don't think it's legal to print recipes that aren't my own. But on a small scale like this, since most of the recipes are adjusted to my tastes, I think it's safe for me to do something like that.
Great idea!
Riki

Why not save trees and make it an electronic version with color photos?
Or is this something you all are thinking about to earn $$?
I love the inncuisine blog for that very reason. BIG BRILLIANT PHOTOS!
http://inncuisine.com/

Welcome NW BB! Your input is valuable on all topics here. Jump in with both feet.
welcome.gif

I am a mentor on VV also but have had no takers thus far. Come on baby boomers - dontchawanna own an inn and have fun?!

Why not save trees and make it an electronic version with color photos?
Or is this something you all are thinking about to earn $$?
I love the inncuisine blog for that very reason. BIG BRILLIANT PHOTOS!
http://inncuisine.com/.
earn $
less trees used than producing a cookbook that I can't sell - would use less $$ to make and less paper.
RIki

I like cookbooks.
I'm interested in participating.
OK... so, who's going to do what and how is it going to happen?
Once it's done we could offer it for sale here on INNspiring to help maintain this fabulous site!
BTW... :welcome: NW BB!
=)
Kk.

I make my own little cookbook. I have 4x6 old fashioned post cards with an illistration of my inn on them. I print the 4x6 recipes on my computer, place them between the postcards, give it a 2 hole punch, then tie a pretty ribbon in the holes. They are so popular, I can't keep up with making them sometimes. I sell them for $6 apiece. I've questioned my guests before about whether I should publish the cookbook and they've all said NO.....they like that it's homemade and special. It's a nice little revenue stream. I make hundreds of dollars each year just on these little cookbooks..
welcome.gif
!! Cute idea! I like it! Glad you stopped lurking and are participating...the more the merrier
regular_smile.gif

NW BB said:
I make my own little cookbook. I have 4x6 old fashioned post cards with an illistration of my inn on them. I print the 4x6 recipes on my computer, place them between the postcards, give it a 2 hole punch, then tie a pretty ribbon in the holes. They are so popular, I can't keep up with making them sometimes. I sell them for $6 apiece. I've questioned my guests before about whether I should publish the cookbook and they've all said NO.....they like that it's homemade and special. It's a nice little revenue stream. I make hundreds of dollars each year just on these little cookbooks.
I've had "make a cookbook" on my to do list for a long time. Thank you for giving me an example of how it can be presented (and how much it could be sold for)!
=)
Kk.

I forgot to ask - how many recipes do you sell for $6?
RIki

Welcome. Happy you came aboard.
I did a watermark of my inn on index cards and printed my recipes on them as well as doing my cookbook. Have to get a new printer before I can do anything now!!

NW BB said:
Great idea! One I've been contemplating (and doing in a similar fashion). I like that you are only using ONE of your notecards per recipe 'pack'.

NW BB said:
Great idea! One I've been contemplating (and doing in a similar fashion). I like that you are only using ONE of your notecards per recipe 'pack'.
Actually, I use 2 post cards, one for the front and one for the back. I've had our inn now for 8 years and the previoius owners must have gotten a terrific sale on those post cards. There were stacks and stacks of them when we bought the inn! Now I'm getting down to the bottom of the stack. I used to cut my own 4x6 sheet paper, but found that I can take a a couple reams of paper to the local office supply store and they will do the cutting for only a couple dollars. Boy, is that a time saver! Right now I have 48 recipes in my little book, each on a separate sheet. I've tried using index cards and printing on both sides, but my printer has trouble pulling just one card at a time.
I've also burned the recipes onto a CD or e-mailed it to guests, but they really don't like that as much. I think that in this day of high tech, they like to have their hands on something homemade.
By the way, thank you all for the warm welcome!

Hi NW BB!
The only downfall I can see about buying a recipe book like the one's you make is that they really don't last with use. My Mother in Law gave me one years ago from their church sale and I found that the pages were ripping away from the rings as well as it's hard to manuever through it all to find the recipe I was looking for. BUT, that being said, if I stayed with you and I wanted a souvenier that could only be bought locally I would buy your recipe book in a second!

I buy sheets of index cards at the office supply (3 cards on a sheet). I run them through the printer with the watermark and then I have saved on WORD using the index card set-up the 3 recipes per sheet and on the bottom of EACH recipe card is (in bold) the name of my inn web address and phone number. I had not thought of the notecard cover. I have a 2-hole punch and the prong fasteners - might experiment with that when I get a printer again.

NW BB said:
Actually, I use 2 post cards, one for the front and one for the back. I've had our inn now for 8 years and the previoius owners must have gotten a terrific sale on those post cards. There were stacks and stacks of them when we bought the inn! Now I'm getting down to the bottom of the stack. I used to cut my own 4x6 sheet paper, but found that I can take a a couple reams of paper to the local office supply store and they will do the cutting for only a couple dollars. Boy, is that a time saver! Right now I have 48 recipes in my little book, each on a separate sheet. I've tried using index cards and printing on both sides, but my printer has trouble pulling just one card at a time.
I've also burned the recipes onto a CD or e-mailed it to guests, but they really don't like that as much. I think that in this day of high tech, they like to have their hands on something homemade.
WOW 48 recipes??? It would take me a long while to come up wtih that many...!
RIki

NW BB said:
NW BB said:
Welcome!
As for the hand-held somethings, I agree totally. Good idea.
At the inn where I work, my boss is on the second edition of the cookbook. The first edition had 175 recipes, the second one will have more than double that. HUGE seller. We had people pre-order the next edition cookbook before it was even finished at the printer!

Hi NW BB!
The only downfall I can see about buying a recipe book like the one's you make is that they really don't last with use. My Mother in Law gave me one years ago from their church sale and I found that the pages were ripping away from the rings as well as it's hard to manuever through it all to find the recipe I was looking for. BUT, that being said, if I stayed with you and I wanted a souvenier that could only be bought locally I would buy your recipe book in a second!.
A ha! When it falls apart and the couple comes to stay with me again, they will buy another one! Another reason they will buy another one is that I keep adding new recipes, so they can justify to themselves the cost of buying it again. I do feel bad amount the amount of paper used since we have just received our "Green Certification", but I know that if I only sold it on disks I wouldn't sell as many. I'm definitely doing this to increase revenue.

I was only kidding about the paper issue. Humans use paper, that is what we do and are grateful for it! (Now if we could eliminate JUNK mail then we would be set!)
I realize that if it were me I would never put a DATE on a cookbook, as nobody wants to buy out of date ones. I see them at book sales and if there is a year I tend to skip over them, versus no date on the cover.

Hi NW BB!
The only downfall I can see about buying a recipe book like the one's you make is that they really don't last with use. My Mother in Law gave me one years ago from their church sale and I found that the pages were ripping away from the rings as well as it's hard to manuever through it all to find the recipe I was looking for. BUT, that being said, if I stayed with you and I wanted a souvenier that could only be bought locally I would buy your recipe book in a second!.
A ha! When it falls apart and the couple comes to stay with me again, they will buy another one! Another reason they will buy another one is that I keep adding new recipes, so they can justify to themselves the cost of buying it again. I do feel bad amount the amount of paper used since we have just received our "Green Certification", but I know that if I only sold it on disks I wouldn't sell as many. I'm definitely doing this to increase revenue.
But no, I think that you are being green by producing your cookbooks AS YOU SELL THEM. You are not printing a large amount (you'd have to as they have minimums) and then sitting on them trying to sell them. You are printing and selling as needed.
Riki

Back