Intro

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefDRG

Reaction score
Hi! I thought I should post an intro of sorts. I live in Texas and recently relocated to New York to go to culinary school. I just finished up, with the exception of my internship, which I'll go back to do in November when my torn tendon heals and I'm back on my feet.
On my three-day drive from NY to TX last week, my sister sent me a couple of emails with B&B listings and said--wanna run a B&B? Then my other sister got involved in the conversation, and now everyone's all excited about it. The more I think about it, the more I think a B&B can't support the three of us. Can it? The other option is to run a B&B by myself. I'll soon be divorced empty-nester (after 23 years as a corporate wife, homeschooling mom, expat) and will need 1) a place to live and 2) a job. Is it reasonable for a single mid-40's woman to own/run a B&B? I'd love to hear thoughts on this. This is something I've really just started to think about but I do feel like it's the perfect time.
Off to read more of your awesome posts and wisdom! Looking forward to getting to know y'all!
DRG

Welcome! I believe it is more than reasonable, it is absolutely possible. I know there is a story about a single mom with several kids who ran a B&B all by herself somewhere in the forums. My wife runs our B&B by herself when I am at work with some help from one employee and occasionally our teenage son.
I think it is important to find a B&B that is already established and not start one from scratch. With culinary skills, I think you are set up to be a great B&B host. I am relatively new at the innkeeping gig, but there are some great veterans here with some great advice. I also met many at the PAII conference and many stays at B&B's along the way.
Good luck!

Welcome!

You are doing the wise thing by educating yourself right here! There is lots to learn.

Your question: is it reasonable for a single...... to own/run a B&B?

The short answer is yes! But there is a BUT: It all depends on YOU. I know of a few single women running B&B's in their 70's! Again, it all depends on YOU.

Read on! And once you feel you are closer to deciding, you should attend an innkeeper seminar. Maybe go to work for one that is hiring to get a hands on approach. But first, read on!

Welcome!

You are doing the wise thing by educating yourself right here! There is lots to learn.

The short answer is yes! But there is a BUT: It all depends on YOU. I know of a few single women running B&B's in their 70's! Again, it all depends on YOU.

Read on! And once you feel you are closer to deciding, you should attend an innkeeper seminar. Maybe go to work for one that is hiring to get a hands on approach. But first, read on!.
Thank you! I've been looking into a innkeeper seminars but there seem to be quite a few providers. Any solid recommendations?
DRG

You may want to discard my answer since we run a tiny mom and pop motel rather than a true bed and breakfast, but much of the business is similar.
Can a B&B support three sisters? To me that would depend on the business, cost, and how much money each of you have to invest. If you enjoy working with each other sounds like there would be some advantages. If the property is sufficiently large and you are speaking of living together then it is one household rather than three, if your sisters are just investors and looking for a paycheck well maybe not so much.
Can one person physically run a B&B? When we jumped into this business Maxine ran the motel and cared for our ten year old son and my mother, I was the extra helper on the weekend when we were busier, but for the most part she ran the motel alone, so yes I think it could be run by one person.

If you run it together make sure you each have private space. It would be unusual to find a b&b w a three bedroom owners apartment.
For one woman, it is very possible. My DH runs ours alone but he has housekeeping help. We have 6 rooms.

Welcome. Thank you for the intro. My advice to you is to immediately - no dithering - go here and act upon it. I have been here and KNOW it is worth trying for.

If you can win a B&B then you can all three reap the bennefits. You have not mentioned the financials of your endeavor, are the three of you able to purchase a viable bed and breakfast or country inn?
if you want to share a room like roommates and not actually earn a salary each one of you, as the largest satisfaction from owning your own business is deducting the costs of everything, and that has to be joint, as in one person or a couple, if you partner up it will get very tricky. Others here are replying with you can do this and share they have one partner working on the outside, that is not what you have asked, sure you can play owning a bed and breakfast if you have another person in your bed and breakfast footing many of the bills. that is not accurate feedback, i think you are asking if all three of you ran it day to day. in some locales the property tax alone would prohibit this. so all of this depends on the financial situation you find yourselves in...then the answer would be more direct. anyone can live in and run a bed and breakfast, and any house can be a bed and breakfast, but how much you want to put into it and how much you want to get out of it is the real question. if you are determined you can do anything!!!

Welcome!

Read on! And once you feel you are closer to deciding, you should attend an innkeeper seminar. Maybe go to work for one that is hiring to get a hands on approach. But first, read on!.
Thank you! I've been looking into a innkeeper seminars but there seem to be quite a few providers. Any solid recommendations?
DRG
#1 Not sure where you are located, but I am going to the www.PAInns.com conference at State College inNov 3-5. Run by the state B&B conference, not too far from NY. PA has the second highest # of B&Bs, so likely good quality...
#2 Are you going to the CIA or in NYC for culinary?
#3 Don't assume going into business with your siblings is automatically a good idea. At least with a spouse, you have been together for a while. Funny things happen when family members go from seeing each other from time to time, to trying to live and own a business together. Have seen too many Restaurant/Hotel impossible episodes of family businesses that are struggling, and the toll it takes on the relationships...
#4 There is a significant difference between B&B serving breakfast and a chef. Perhaps you should go more in the direction of an inn, where you can serve 3 meals a day. Then you can wrap your morning meal to guests as well as serve some type of meals to the outside world. There may be a lot of synergies.
We are currently looking for a place; some for sale also had commercial kitchen/bad/seating area in addition to rooms.

Welcome. Thank you for the intro. My advice to you is to immediately - no dithering - go here and act upon it. I have been here and KNOW it is worth trying for..
What the what?! That's an amazing opportunity--thank you for the heads up! I've read every word on their website, on the contest website and on their contest facebook page, and now I'm wondering if this is a good idea.
If I were buying a B&B, I would A) tour it, maybe multiple times, B) have every inch of it inspected, and C) have a look at their financials.
They're not allowing any tours of the property, which I can understand on some level, but from a "buyer's" point of view, that makes me very nervous. What am I getting? How do I know that I won't be winning a money pit of needed repairs and a business that doesn't at least pay for itself?
Any thoughts on this, y'all?

I know if it were me with a contest like that there is no way I would allow 10000 people to have a tour of my operating business. Even at an auction they offer one day for people to come and see the property with representatives on-sight. This is not an auction from what I read. Poeple still can stay overnight to see it or drive up and look. $150 dollar money pit on a half million us dollar home, yeah i can see that.

Welcome. Thank you for the intro. My advice to you is to immediately - no dithering - go here and act upon it. I have been here and KNOW it is worth trying for..
What the what?! That's an amazing opportunity--thank you for the heads up! I've read every word on their website, on the contest website and on their contest facebook page, and now I'm wondering if this is a good idea.
If I were buying a B&B, I would A) tour it, maybe multiple times, B) have every inch of it inspected, and C) have a look at their financials.
They're not allowing any tours of the property, which I can understand on some level, but from a "buyer's" point of view, that makes me very nervous. What am I getting? How do I know that I won't be winning a money pit of needed repairs and a business that doesn't at least pay for itself?
Some of us here know the owners personally,( Me included) have stayed with them and know their business. Submitting an entry if you really want to do it is a no brainer. If they don't get enough entries, all money will be refunded.
This is the PERFECT place. Everything has been well maintained, smart business people, lots of web presence and you get it all. They will also help train you. I say again. Nothing could be more PERFECT for a potential owner. You have NOTHING to worry about with this one!!! You could walk in the door tomorrow and start the same day.
They have lots of future plans they would like to get on with..this in not a pig in a poke!

If I was not familiar with the inn and the owner, I would not have pointed you in this direction. It is an amazing inn, totally up-to-date, top drawer maintenance - including the latest thing, a Tesla charging station, REAL financials (no cooked books with this one). If I did not already have a B & B and were 20 years younger, I would be tossing in my $150 and trying for it. The location could not be better! This is a gem. I have been there.
This is not a desperation sale - people cannot get loans for B & Bs - this gives you a shot at it for less than the cost of a room night most places. It is big enough to be supporting - it is NOT a lifestyle B & B yet manageable for one person and better if there are 2 working together.
IF you are the winner AND doing it with partners (whether husband-wife, siblings, or parent), the next stop should be a lawyer to draw up a document stating who gets what IF - divorce, death, disputes/dissolution. I have seen too many B & Bs close due to one of the above without said document in place. Cheaper in the long run to take care of it up front BEFORE it is needed.

I know if it were me with a contest like that there is no way I would allow 10000 people to have a tour of my operating business. Even at an auction they offer one day for people to come and see the property with representatives on-sight. This is not an auction from what I read. Poeple still can stay overnight to see it or drive up and look. $150 dollar money pit on a half million us dollar home, yeah i can see that..
This one is NOT a money pit. Several of us here have stayed there - know the inn and the owner. All is good with this one.

As the others have said, this is a great place. I would suggest that all 3 of you write essays and submit them!
You can always stay there as a guest. Check it out that way. Due to the nature of the contest, the owners won't be able to talk to you about it, but you'll be able to see the condition of the place and experience for yourself why it gets rave reviews.

This is a beloved friend of ours. Not only does the owner post here but they email with us, etc. I was supposed to go visit them this summer but it didn't work out.
sad_smile.gif
You will have the owners and us all to help you. What more do you need?!? A good essay and $150 is all the down payment you need! If I didn't have this place I would enter....I even thought of entering and getting my parents, etc to run it.

Thanks so much for pointing me in this direction and for your advice/feedback. I'm so excited :)

They aren't hiding anything.. Where else could you get a chance to own a turn key business for $150 with no mortgage. It's a win win situation, providing your essay wins. This is not a money pit business and you will see that if you do some research. It's an opportunity of a lifetime.

They aren't hiding anything.. Where else could you get a chance to own a turn key business for $150 with no mortgage. It's a win win situation, providing your essay wins. This is not a money pit business and you will see that if you do some research. It's an opportunity of a lifetime.

Back