lactose intolerant guest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then there is ye ol' common sense - don't eat it. I mean if someone presented me with something I was allergic to I wouldn't eat it. I think plenty of people don't eat stuff because they don't like anyway, so no big deal.
My husband has an issue with proteins in milk. He still drinks it, just not tons of it.
See the way the author of the thread Dee C mentioned they just were told about lactose intolerant, makes me think it is not a huge issue for the guest.
I am not going to stock specialty foods like that - in fact LET THAT BY MY 2010 pledge/mantra, guess how they can take their coffee? BLACK! Half of our guests drink their coffee black - anyway. Not trying to come on strong, just laughing at the lengths innkeepers will go to and the guest probably just prefers not to have "too much dairy" and said that in a term others would understand. If they need a whitener in their coffee - let them bring their own.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
See the way the author of the thread Dee C mentioned they just were told about lactose intolerant, makes me think it is not a huge issue for the guest.
I am not going to stock specialty foods like that - in fact LET THAT BY MY 2010 pledge/mantra, guess how they can take their coffee? BLACK! Half of our guests drink their coffee black - anyway. Not trying to come on strong, just laughing at the lengths innkeepers will go to and the guest probably just prefers not to have "too much dairy" and said that in a term others would understand. If they need a whitener in their coffee - let them bring their own.
This is my response, if they are just telling you about it they can deal with whatever you have to feed them...if it were here they'd be getting scrambled eggs with bacon or sausage, toast with preserves, and fruit.
Now we do have a frequent guest who stays multiple times per year and is lactose intolerant and I've discussed with her preferences...she doesn't want any kind of milk substitute and is happy with the breakfast I described above. She doesn't normally eat breakfast at all so she enjoys the eggs especially.
I appreciate all the feedback, everyone. What an incredible pleasure it is for a new innkeeper to know I can ask a question, and seconds later have a variety of answers to help me. My guest was delighted with her fruit cup, scrambled eggs ( made with water) and Italian toast with preserves, and black coffee. Thanks, guys!
Good work!
thumbs_up.gif

Then there is ye ol' common sense - don't eat it. I mean if someone presented me with something I was allergic to I wouldn't eat it. I think plenty of people don't eat stuff because they don't like anyway, so no big deal.
My husband has an issue with proteins in milk. He still drinks it, just not tons of it.
Joey Bloggs said:
I don't like going out of my way to make special meals. What I've found, tho, is that we get people who make reservations, or who have their secretary make the reservation, who answer the question of food allergies with, 'No, I can eat anything.'
Which is absolutely true.
However, when they arrive with spouse and child in tow, THAT'S when we find out that the child has a 'death allergy' to something very common. Or the spouse doubles over in pain if served (whatever). This is the disconnect in families. One person handles all the 'issues' and the other goes blithely about the day totally unaware the child or spouse cannot eat certain items. Or the secretary doesn't know and the guest never knows we asked the question until they arrive, itinerary in hand.
In Dee C's case it's probably true that the guest has a mild reaction to lactose, is on vacation, forgot her pills and doesn't want to deal with stomach distress in an unfamiliar place. And appears very happy with her brekkie.
But even I used to forget to mention my intolerance of summer squash (which seems to have passed!) It's something I could pick out which didn't totally suffuse the meal.

Joey Bloggs said:
This is my response, if they are just telling you about it they can deal with whatever you have to feed them...if it were here they'd be getting scrambled eggs with bacon or sausage, toast with preserves, and fruit.
Now we do have a frequent guest who stays multiple times per year and is lactose intolerant and I've discussed with her preferences...she doesn't want any kind of milk substitute and is happy with the breakfast I described above. She doesn't normally eat breakfast at all so she enjoys the eggs especially.
I appreciate all the feedback, everyone. What an incredible pleasure it is for a new innkeeper to know I can ask a question, and seconds later have a variety of answers to help me. My guest was delighted with her fruit cup, scrambled eggs ( made with water) and Italian toast with preserves, and black coffee. Thanks, guys!
Dee C. said:
Just as an fyi a tbsp of water makes fluffier eggs than using any dairy in them. I only make mine with water. Although sometimes there is a nice cheese melted on the top. :) Glad it worked out well. I am sure she really appreciead your effort.
I was just at a restaurant and i have a serious allergy to one item and the waitress was rolling her eyes about it. My kids couldn't believe she was doing that, they could not get over it. this was today - this is an "in the hospital" allergic reaction and something that can be easily avoided it mentioned.

Joey Bloggs said:
Dee C. said:
Just as an fyi a tbsp of water makes fluffier eggs than using any dairy in them. I only make mine with water. Although sometimes there is a nice cheese melted on the top. :) Glad it worked out well. I am sure she really appreciead your effort.
I was just at a restaurant and i have a serious allergy to one item and the waitress was rolling her eyes about it. My kids couldn't believe she was doing that, they could not get over it. this was today - this is an "in the hospital" allergic reaction and something that can be easily avoided it mentioned.
Yeah, that was definitely a situation that needed to have attention drawn to it...there is no need for waitstaff to take an attitude about allergies.

I know from experience how odd allergies and sensitivities can be. My cousin can eat cold lobster, but can't even inhale the cooking steam without getting out an epi pen and off to the hospital for a couple of days (as we learned when sitting around outside, with steam coming out of the window!). Others only get reactions if they eat a lot of something. Admitedly, for some, it's just for the drama.
As someone who stays at B&Bs for multiple nights, I check that breakfasts change every day -- another way to avoid "overdoses" of certain ingredients. I might be able to have something one day without reacting all that much, but not three or seven days in a row. I also keep an emergency stash of food I can eat, in case I'm stuck. Luckily, I have no life-threatening allergies!

Joey Bloggs said:
I don't like going out of my way to make special meals. What I've found, tho, is that we get people who make reservations, or who have their secretary make the reservation, who answer the question of food allergies with, 'No, I can eat anything.'
Which is absolutely true.
However, when they arrive with spouse and child in tow, THAT'S when we find out that the child has a 'death allergy' to something very common. Or the spouse doubles over in pain if served (whatever). This is the disconnect in families. One person handles all the 'issues' and the other goes blithely about the day totally unaware the child or spouse cannot eat certain items. Or the secretary doesn't know and the guest never knows we asked the question until they arrive, itinerary in hand.
In Dee C's case it's probably true that the guest has a mild reaction to lactose, is on vacation, forgot her pills and doesn't want to deal with stomach distress in an unfamiliar place. And appears very happy with her brekkie.
But even I used to forget to mention my intolerance of summer squash (which seems to have passed!) It's something I could pick out which didn't totally suffuse the meal.
However, when they arrive with spouse and child in tow, THAT'S when we find out that the child has a 'death allergy' to something very common. Or the spouse doubles over in pain if served (whatever). This is the disconnect in families. One person handles all the 'issues' and the other goes blithely about the day totally unaware the child or spouse cannot eat certain items.
That was the case last year with the Coast Guard family moving with horses. HE made all the arrangements and it was only with the call to tell me they got a late start did he think to tell me one kid was gluten-free. OK, I will get a head start - I made gluten-free bread and gluten-free banana muffins thinking I will make eggs for everyone. On arrival at midnight, he thinks to tell me the kid is also allergic to bananas, peanuts, and eggs! (Mom was busy with packing up 3 kids, 2 adults, 3 dogs, 3 cats, and 4 horses for a cross-country move.)

RANT:
I'm so tired of people with dietary restrictions! I just recovered from a 6 night stay of guests who are repeats. During their first stay 2 years ago, all I had to do was serve them breakfasts that were not high in sugar (he's a diabetic). So, this time, they made their reservation and all was good. Then a few days before arrival, I get an e-mail telling me that they now eat nothing that came from an animal (vegan) and on top of that, no sugar. I've gotten pretty adept at preparing vegan breakfasts, but not 6 in a row and now I can't even serve them baked items because they have sugar in them. Oh, no, they didn't eat any artificial sweeteners either.
That was the longest week in my life. I know some will say let them go stay somewhere else, but especially this time of year that money is necessary.
So now I'm thinking, ok, I get to relax with the breakfasts. Yeah, right. One of my rooms this weekend states on their webervations "sensitive to dairy". Then when I check them in I question her more about it and it's not just "sensitive", it's absolutely no dairy. Then in conversation, the husband says "you can give me her eggs". UHHHHH? Now she's no dairy and no eggs, but she didn't tell me.
I'm so ready for check-out today!

RANT:
I'm so tired of people with dietary restrictions! I just recovered from a 6 night stay of guests who are repeats. During their first stay 2 years ago, all I had to do was serve them breakfasts that were not high in sugar (he's a diabetic). So, this time, they made their reservation and all was good. Then a few days before arrival, I get an e-mail telling me that they now eat nothing that came from an animal (vegan) and on top of that, no sugar. I've gotten pretty adept at preparing vegan breakfasts, but not 6 in a row and now I can't even serve them baked items because they have sugar in them. Oh, no, they didn't eat any artificial sweeteners either.
That was the longest week in my life. I know some will say let them go stay somewhere else, but especially this time of year that money is necessary.
So now I'm thinking, ok, I get to relax with the breakfasts. Yeah, right. One of my rooms this weekend states on their webervations "sensitive to dairy". Then when I check them in I question her more about it and it's not just "sensitive", it's absolutely no dairy. Then in conversation, the husband says "you can give me her eggs". UHHHHH? Now she's no dairy and no eggs, but she didn't tell me.
I'm so ready for check-out today!.
Oh, my. I am exhausted for you. I understand that you need this business and furthermore that you really enjoy meeting their special dietary needs, but 6 nights is a bit excessive...I can't believe they would even expect that of you. If it were me I would have brought my own food and asked you for fruit or yogurt or whatever. I would NEVER expect 6 different full hot breakfasts with such out of the ordinary dietary needs. I think it's incredibly self-centered of them.
pita.gif

RANT:
Oh, my. I am exhausted for you. I understand that you need this business and furthermore that you really enjoy meeting their special dietary needs, but 6 nights is a bit excessive...I can't believe they would even expect that of you. If it were me I would have brought my own food and asked you for fruit or yogurt or whatever. I would NEVER expect 6 different full hot breakfasts with such out of the ordinary dietary needs. I think it's incredibly self-centered of them.
pita.gif

I would have served them maybe 2 different things and nothing new..just repeated every other day!!! What do they think you are. a made to order restaurant??? Give me a break. If they complain, I'd say, Bring your own.

RANT:
pita.gif

It's such a double edged sword. I hated all the extra effort and expense of accommodating their diet, but they also were amazed at how I was able to expand their knowledge of foods that were availble to them since this diet was new to them.
Thanks for listening to the rant. All guests are checked out now and I've got a few days off. Hopefully my patience will be restored!
CL, I think I do just as you suggest next time. Just rotate a couple of breakfasts. It still takes extra time in the morning to cook an entirely different meal, but at least I won't lose sleep at night wondering what the heck I'm going to do the next a.m.

RANT:
pita.gif

It's such a double edged sword. I hated all the extra effort and expense of accommodating their diet, but they also were amazed at how I was able to expand their knowledge of foods that were availble to them since this diet was new to them.
Thanks for listening to the rant. All guests are checked out now and I've got a few days off. Hopefully my patience will be restored!
CL, I think I do just as you suggest next time. Just rotate a couple of breakfasts. It still takes extra time in the morning to cook an entirely different meal, but at least I won't lose sleep at night wondering what the heck I'm going to do the next a.m.
Yeah, I would have wasted lots of sleep time worrying about what I was planning would still be satisfactory. I don't think you get paid enough to do this kind of thing. If they can't be satisfied with a rotation, that is their problem. You agree to serve breakfast...doesn't say it has to be different every day especially under these kind of circumstances. I think we've all been places where they serve the same "slim pickins" kind of breakfast every day and do they care??? Obviously not.
After a while, since we had different guests at least every two days, it got to the point where we did the same 2 breakfasts all the time. It was boring for us,but it sure saved us money and time. We could get it together in no time flat and the guests were new so they didn't have a clue. Still well prepared and presented with care but the same stuff.

BD you did well.
Thing is, as we all know, the guests who really appreciate it and we enjoy will push us to go that extra mile and we want to do that.
I remember the week I typed on this forum about vegans bringing their own food was the week I had a lovely guest here on her own who was more than willing to make all her own food and appreciated the meals I provided to the point of keeping the left overs for her dinners. That was when I learned you could get veggie wraps and put just about anything in them (no dairy of course), that was actually kinda fun. But it was a solo guest, so not a huge deal for me.
If she came back it would not freak me out, but new guests who throw demands and whims out there will make me lose sleep, like you say CL.

RANT:
Coming in late because I am still catching up.
Yes, it was exhausting but you had the satisfaction of impressing the hell out of them and you now have 6 different menus you can grab when needed. That should guarantee a return of those guests with their #$%^ needs but lovely green dollars!

I got one today who is now bringing a friend who wasn't coming when the rez was made. Luckily I asked now about diet. With her, tho, it's large amounts of lactose. She does put it in her coffee. And sometimes she just eats it anyway.

Here's a thought since I just got a Jack Sprat rez - he is vegetarian and she is vegan. Guess how he will be eating that weekend. :) Anyway, if they are lactose intolerant just treat them like they are vegan and it is a done deal.

I got one today who is now bringing a friend who wasn't coming when the rez was made. Luckily I asked now about diet. With her, tho, it's large amounts of lactose. She does put it in her coffee. And sometimes she just eats it anyway..
I've discovered that I can't drink cow's milk or drink lattes, etc. with milk. (Bad, bad GI upset) So, I have soy milk now when I order lattes and keep LF fat free milk here. But cheese or small amounts of milk in eggs, etc. don't seem to bother me. I don't even mention it....I just avoid most milk products and limit coffee with cream.
I had some guests recently tell me that they didn't eat sardines and I joked, "I guess that sardine and cheese omelet is out for tomorrow!" haha...

As of the last six months I have had more people ASK for a glass of milk that ever before... wierd..

As of the last six months I have had more people ASK for a glass of milk that ever before... wierd...
Yes, there have been a number of requests for milk. We keep it int the guest fridge but they ask if they can have a 'whole' glassful. Nice that they ask.

When I am confronted with Vegans I usually ask them what they normally would eat for breakfast if they were home. Sometimes they have some really good ideas and I ask them for the recipes. Makes them feel good and helps me expand my Vegan recipe collection.
By the way, Tumeric and tofu makes a wonderful looking scrambled egg substitute. You can then just change the other spices or vegetables and have different meals if you have guests there for a number of days.
Lynda

Back