Ladies, do you blog? Add your Blog to Directory of Women Bloggers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I now blog, Facebook and twitter. Plus I forum - shouldn't that be a verb, too? I don't know that it will get me more business but if I don't get too distracted by it I'll try it out for a little while. There are twitterers from B&Bs who tell you what they have for brekkie every morning, and some who are really selling their rooms all the time. I don't necessarily tweet even once a day. I am connected to some interesting twitterers, like createwv, so I feel like it's a helpful tool for me to feel connected, also. Not just pushing the B&B, but learning things too. Just like following some blogs that I like just for myself. What good are the internetz if you don't use them for your own enjoyment? I check out icanhascheezburger every day, just for fun..
I just don't know how you find the time. I've barely been on the forum at all, haven't blogged in weeks, and haven't checked back on FB in quite awhile! I am up most days at 6 AM and don't fall asleep until midnight or after. I'm not grossly inefficient either...just lots to do, like everyone else here. :)
If you don't go wandering off looking for long-lost college friends (which I've done) or spend too much time trying to beat a forum member's Bejeweled record (I'm talking to you, Greyswan!!) or tweet what flavor of coffee you are drinking every morning - it doesn't take much more time than managing my email or online reservations. I use Tweetdeck which monitors twitter and facebook status updates, by group, and I use the blog posts for event updates mostly to let potential guests know what is going on. I'm not using these tools to the extent some others are but you have to let some of the growth happen as people find you. That's just me, though - DH and I are on the computer more than most people, I suspect.
I will work on it and try to manage these social networks better. I get sooooooooooo many emails now from the C&VB network and my city network! I'm feeling stretched a little thin lately with the biz, my dh's on call work schedule, and my volunteer commitments. I'm also doing some face-to-face networking meetings. Maybe that is going back to the Stone Age. LOL!!! tee hee....
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
I will work on it and try to manage these social networks better. I get sooooooooooo many emails now from the C&VB network and my city network! I'm feeling stretched a little thin lately with the biz, my dh's on call work schedule, and my volunteer commitments. I'm also doing some face-to-face networking meetings. Maybe that is going back to the Stone Age. LOL!!! tee hee....
teeth_smile.gif
Because we are coming out of our slow season and into the busy season, I will start backing off on external committments. No breakfast meetings with the Chamber, no early morning classes, etc. In season I stick to basics only. The biz and my walk are about all I commit to in the summer. I might get in a once monthly meeting but even our innkeeper group doesn't meet in the summer.
I read the forum in between cleaning rooms. The website pretty much goes on hold except for adding things to do or packages. But any major changes will have to wait until next year.
We were going to reno our kitchen, but now that the snow is gone, we have to work outside...moving plants, raking the leaves from last year, putting in new beds, scraping and painting the porch, etc. All of that MUST get done, the kitchen can wait.
I have to commit to Twitter this year, but it's probably going to be a once or twice a week tweet.
We have had so much rain that I now have lots of grass growing in our gravel drive/parking area. The rain hasn't stopped long enough to hit it with Roundup or similar and then get a load of gravel dumped to top it off. Ditto with major weeding in some gardens in the second yard. Same thing about getting to porch floors and bleach washing the porches...again.
I just want to get rooms cleaned when I get started on them. It takes so long to do some of them that I just keep going & going. Having someone to work with me a few days a week is a HUGE help.

Well, I now blog, Facebook and twitter. Plus I forum - shouldn't that be a verb, too? I don't know that it will get me more business but if I don't get too distracted by it I'll try it out for a little while. There are twitterers from B&Bs who tell you what they have for brekkie every morning, and some who are really selling their rooms all the time. I don't necessarily tweet even once a day. I am connected to some interesting twitterers, like createwv, so I feel like it's a helpful tool for me to feel connected, also. Not just pushing the B&B, but learning things too. Just like following some blogs that I like just for myself. What good are the internetz if you don't use them for your own enjoyment? I check out icanhascheezburger every day, just for fun..
I just don't know how you find the time. I've barely been on the forum at all, haven't blogged in weeks, and haven't checked back on FB in quite awhile! I am up most days at 6 AM and don't fall asleep until midnight or after. I'm not grossly inefficient either...just lots to do, like everyone else here. :)
If you don't go wandering off looking for long-lost college friends (which I've done) or spend too much time trying to beat a forum member's Bejeweled record (I'm talking to you, Greyswan!!) or tweet what flavor of coffee you are drinking every morning - it doesn't take much more time than managing my email or online reservations. I use Tweetdeck which monitors twitter and facebook status updates, by group, and I use the blog posts for event updates mostly to let potential guests know what is going on. I'm not using these tools to the extent some others are but you have to let some of the growth happen as people find you. That's just me, though - DH and I are on the computer more than most people, I suspect.
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif
Because we are coming out of our slow season and into the busy season, I will start backing off on external committments. No breakfast meetings with the Chamber, no early morning classes, etc. In season I stick to basics only. The biz and my walk are about all I commit to in the summer. I might get in a once monthly meeting but even our innkeeper group doesn't meet in the summer.
I read the forum in between cleaning rooms. The website pretty much goes on hold except for adding things to do or packages. But any major changes will have to wait until next year.
We were going to reno our kitchen, but now that the snow is gone, we have to work outside...moving plants, raking the leaves from last year, putting in new beds, scraping and painting the porch, etc. All of that MUST get done, the kitchen can wait.
I have to commit to Twitter this year, but it's probably going to be a once or twice a week tweet.
Well I obviously am "missing something" with this Twitter thing....I JUST DON'T GET IT!!! WHY? I see no purpose or point to it. OH well:-(
catlady said:
Well I obviously am "missing something" with this Twitter thing....I JUST DON'T GET IT!!! WHY? I see no purpose or point to it. OH well:-(
It could be a great boon for businesses as well as just keeping up with friends and family. Think of it as signing up for a sales flyer email at your favorite store. You get a tweet when they post a sale or an event, which you can then turn around and just buy right from your phone. If no one else makes a dime off it, the phone company sure will!

teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif
We have had so much rain that I now have lots of grass growing in our gravel drive/parking area. The rain hasn't stopped long enough to hit it with Roundup or similar and then get a load of gravel dumped to top it off. Ditto with major weeding in some gardens in the second yard. Same thing about getting to porch floors and bleach washing the porches...again.
I just want to get rooms cleaned when I get started on them. It takes so long to do some of them that I just keep going & going. Having someone to work with me a few days a week is a HUGE help.
For us, this is the first rain since the snow melted. I looked out the window this morning and everything is GREEN, yesterday it was brown! It looks like we'll have this weather for a couple of days. But all of those very dry leaves are now soaking wet. Yuck.

teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif
Middle son managed to cut ALL my grass in a few minutes last week and it is already ankle deep again!! We are mostly green all year - it just fades a bit in winter. In January and February my Canadians were commenting on how green it was here and in March my Iowa Son-I-L said the same thing.

Beautiful! I love the pink ones. We have 2 small ones that are just blooming because they get so much shade. I am envious. My poor white dogwoods out front didn't last hardly at all...all the heavy rain storms. boo hoo hoo....
cry_smile.gif

Gorgeous!!! Our tree is not that full yet...I have my camera ready:) I had planned to take some photos of the bradford pears in bloom as you enter our town..but missed it again this year :-( IT was beautiful. IT has been a really pretty spring here.

Gorgeous! Now I know all dogwood trees look scraggly. I thought mine was just half dead (branch disposition) but I see the same pattern with yours. Mine has another couple weeks before it blooms - I think. We have possible snow in the forecast tonight. If it does, it won't stick.

teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif
catlady said:
It could be a great boon for businesses as well as just keeping up with friends and family. Think of it as signing up for a sales flyer email at your favorite store. You get a tweet when they post a sale or an event, which you can then turn around and just buy right from your phone. If no one else makes a dime off it, the phone company sure will!
I understand some businesses do really well with it, like zappo's (the shoe website). I kindof like the idea of using it instead of an email service like Constant Contact - if people follow your blog, facebook or twitter, they can decide when they want to see what you have going on. It seems less like spam that way to me.

Our guests are grumbling...they left their beautiful spring blooms to come here where it looks like winter still.
We sent yesterday's guest off with a suggestion to go to DC to see the floral displays. As they are driving, they'll see it steadily progressing from nothing here to riotous bloom once they hit PA and south.

Gorgeous! Now I know all dogwood trees look scraggly. I thought mine was just half dead (branch disposition) but I see the same pattern with yours. Mine has another couple weeks before it blooms - I think. We have possible snow in the forecast tonight. If it does, it won't stick..
gillumhouse said:
Gorgeous! Now I know all dogwood trees look scraggly. I thought mine was just half dead (branch disposition) but I see the same pattern with yours. Mine has another couple weeks before it blooms - I think. We have possible snow in the forecast tonight. If it does, it won't stick.
These are scraggly dog woods and in fact the blooms are fairly large this year thanks to a wee bit of rain compared to last. The whole town is in bloom with white, pink and rose colored dog woods. The Azaleas are blooming as well. The red buds hit it alread, the pears were a few weeks ago.
We drove down south 20 minutes on Sunday and saw the gorgoeus chartreuse colors, reds, oranges, yellows, people have no idea how incredible spring can be! The tops of the hills were still sticks tho.
Fall schmall - they miss this bursting back on the scene of Spring.
wow.gif

You do such a wonderful job on your blog. Have you ever done any writing for the local paper?? You should!

Just took pics of our CA guests - they don't have dogwoods anywhere near them. I took closer up shots as well - but we are bloomin' out all over round here. Cut n paste into a browser - warning this photo will self destruct in a couple hours.
wink_smile.gif

>removed image<

excerpt from iloveinns newsletter:
(note from JBJ Chloe's blog is gorgeous!)
Business is Booming at Big Mill Bed & Breakfast
Chloe, proprietress of Big Mill B&B (in the middle of nowhere, she says) has been filled to the brim for the last few months and the innkeeper has needed her housekeeper 5-6 days a week. The reasons?
1. Blogging
2. Posting Recipes and Promotions
Chloe attributes her blog as the number one contributor to her business pick up. Blog topics always start with something she's highly interested in and then move to how the topic relates to the inn. For instance, there was a blueberry festival she loved and at the end of the blog entry she mentioned that it was 22 miles from the B&B. She has also seen great traction from photographing nature and her breakfasts and special dishes. Now guests are asking to have the nature photos they have taken showcased on the blog. Local photographers are welcomed on the property and often share their photos which are a great inspiration for the potential guest. Photos like the one included (it did not post well on this forum) here put guests into the potential experience they will have and keep them following the blog.

excerpt from iloveinns newsletter:
(note from JBJ Chloe's blog is gorgeous!)
Business is Booming at Big Mill Bed & Breakfast
Chloe, proprietress of Big Mill B&B (in the middle of nowhere, she says) has been filled to the brim for the last few months and the innkeeper has needed her housekeeper 5-6 days a week. The reasons?
1. Blogging
2. Posting Recipes and Promotions
Chloe attributes her blog as the number one contributor to her business pick up. Blog topics always start with something she's highly interested in and then move to how the topic relates to the inn. For instance, there was a blueberry festival she loved and at the end of the blog entry she mentioned that it was 22 miles from the B&B. She has also seen great traction from photographing nature and her breakfasts and special dishes. Now guests are asking to have the nature photos they have taken showcased on the blog. Local photographers are welcomed on the property and often share their photos which are a great inspiration for the potential guest. Photos like the one included (it did not post well on this forum) here put guests into the potential experience they will have and keep them following the blog. .
It's interesting that she says it draws people. She has built a pretty good repertoire of posts (about 40) but only updates it about once a month. I follow her blog with google reader. She was also doing a post for InnCuisine about every six weeks. She also has a back-to-nature niche which is doing well these days.

http://www.bigmill.com/
http://chloesblog.bigmill.com/
Edited to add - her place looks fantastic, the rooms like the Corn Crib or Packhouse look fantastic and super reasonably priced. She is one who has taken 'timbuk2' or 'podunk' and made it into a destination! Well done Chloe!
If anyone has been to Big Mill or plans to, let me know...I am chomping at the bit to get over there for a couple night stay.

Edited to add - her place looks fantastic, the rooms like the Corn Crib or Packhouse look fantastic and super reasonably priced. She is one who has taken 'timbuk2' or 'podunk' and made it into a destination! Well done Chloe!
If anyone has been to Big Mill or plans to, let me know...I am chomping at the bit to get over there for a couple night stay..
The place looks BEAUTIFUL..but the rates...way tooooooo low for what I see. And no on line availability:-(

If anyone has been to Big Mill or plans to, let me know...I am chomping at the bit to get over there for a couple night stay..
The place looks BEAUTIFUL..but the rates...way tooooooo low for what I see. And no on line availability:-(
catlady said:
I see the breakfast is a delicious continental but right below it is a fantastic quiche etc description. Could breakfast be an add on? This is how the rates are propped back up?

catlady said:
I see the breakfast is a delicious continental but right below it is a fantastic quiche etc description. Could breakfast be an add on? This is how the rates are propped back up?
I don't see anything about additional costs for breakfast..maybe this is their idea of a continental breakfast?????? The place looks great and certainly has alot of extra people working there as well. Looks like they do special events / catering and offer dinner as extra.....so that boosts the bottom line as well.

Back