Leather furniture

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So these would be a better choice for me?
Part of the problem is guests are used to those recliners. (I hate them.) So if I replaced them with these, they'd be tipped over with guests trying to 'recline'. I'm going to go out shopping tomorrow to a couple of furniture warehouse kinds of places to see what I can find. Maybe I can get something that is not a wing back but is not huge..
They certainly would take up less room and they won't result in bruises on the side of hips. We're always bumping into the arms of our Mission chairs and the frame of our Mission bed and Mission night stands. DW swears "Mission" is code for bruised hips. I love the style, but there is a lot of extra wood sticking out to bang into.
We just got a new shaker bed with a foot board that has an mission-like edge on it. I have wrapped our blanket around it because of our bruises. Oak is hard
confused_smile.gif

Too true about Oak .... of course I imagine Balsa wood beds have their downsides too ;)

Part of the problem is guests are used to those recliners. (I hate them.) So if I replaced them with these, they'd be tipped over with guests trying to 'recline'. I'm going to go out shopping tomorrow to a couple of furniture warehouse kinds of places to see what I can find. Maybe I can get something that is not a wing back but is not huge..
They certainly would take up less room and they won't result in bruises on the side of hips. We're always bumping into the arms of our Mission chairs and the frame of our Mission bed and Mission night stands. DW swears "Mission" is code for bruised hips. I love the style, but there is a lot of extra wood sticking out to bang into.
We just got a new shaker bed with a foot board that has an mission-like edge on it. I have wrapped our blanket around it because of our bruises. Oak is hard
confused_smile.gif

muirford said:
confused_smile.gif
advertised as "this property is NOT child-proofed"?

I think those chairs would be lovely in your Inn. Are you putting them in your room downstairs that has the private entrance? I think if you did chairs in the Mission style then you would end up wanting to get new bed coverings, etc.
omg_smile.gif

It's been a long time since I've been in New England, but Mission Style and leather is not what I'd expect to find in a B&B in Maine.
I would expect something like this:
(different upholstery, probably)

confused_smile.gif

muirford said:
confused_smile.gif
advertised as "this property is NOT child-proofed"?
No kids under age 12 here. But the wrapping around of the blanket is in MY bedroom, not a guest room. I have less space around my bed than almost any guest room.

So who is to know they used to be recliners??? You have new guests all of the time. I wouldn't let that stop me. If a repeat comes and gets the same room..they just don't recline.

It's been a long time since I've been in New England, but Mission Style and leather is not what I'd expect to find in a B&B in Maine.
(different upholstery, probably).
IronGate said:
(different upholstery, probably)
That's really cute! Way too big for the space, but I get the idea.

So who is to know they used to be recliners??? You have new guests all of the time. I wouldn't let that stop me. If a repeat comes and gets the same room..they just don't recline.
catlady said:
It's the people who come back every year who book that room 'with the recliners' that would know. I would have to explain to them so they didn't try to recline the new chairs! And it would matter to these guests as they spend 22 of 24 hours/day in their room. They rarely go out. They order in. For 4 days. I can't answer whatever question it is you're going to ask...I just don't know!
We (OK, hubs) hauled the chair out of the room it is in, around the house, back into the house (it was easier to go out than thru) and into the room I'd put them in once we 'fix' the reclining part so it doesn't work, to see how they would look. Very nice!
So, now it's deciding whether to actually buy the new chairs. We're watching the expenses right now until the season is done. Just to be sure it doesn't finish up like last year.

catlady said:
It's the people who come back every year who book that room 'with the recliners' that would know. I would have to explain to them so they didn't try to recline the new chairs! And it would matter to these guests as they spend 22 of 24 hours/day in their room. They rarely go out. They order in. For 4 days. I can't answer whatever question it is you're going to ask...I just don't know!
We (OK, hubs) hauled the chair out of the room it is in, around the house, back into the house (it was easier to go out than thru) and into the room I'd put them in once we 'fix' the reclining part so it doesn't work, to see how they would look. Very nice!
So, now it's deciding whether to actually buy the new chairs. We're watching the expenses right now until the season is done. Just to be sure it doesn't finish up like last year.
You have that many yearly repeats for that same room??? WOW...I am in awe.
So again, I ask..why do you care if they are recliners or not.
IS that the reason they are booking that room?
IF the chairs are comfortable what is the difference? It is your place, you can decorate and furnish any way you please. I see no need to explain your furniture choices to your guests.
If the chairs are still in good condition, then I would save my money for now.

catlady said:
IF the chairs are comfortable what is the difference? It is your place, you can decorate and furnish any way you please. I see no need to explain your furniture choices to your guests.
30% repeats. And that room is VERY popular. Basically I would just tell them that one chair broke and I couldn't find replacement recliners. Without mentioning I hate recliners.
They don't book the room for the recliners, no, but more for the size of the room.
I am continually amazed by the number of guests who say, 'I love what you did with my room.' (Accent on the 'my'.) Most of them I don't take to their (yes, 'their') rooms when they check-in, they just go. And several have come right back to ooh and aah about the changes I've made. So, yes, they really do notice when something is different. When we got rid of the last double bed guests thanked me. (And occupancy in that room rose.)
When we took the dorm fridge out of this same room, you would have thought I'd committed a crime. To me, it made the room look like a hotel. And I also, correctly, assumed that any guests in that room never met any other guests except at breakfast because there was no reason at all for them to leave. Now, because they have to come into the guest area for the fridge, they DO meet other guests, which is part of the whole experience. (Shoot me now, I know I am conniving to get guests to intermingle!)
It took a full year to get thru all the guests who were expecting to see that fridge. And there were a lot of unhappy campers.

catlady said:
30% repeats. And that room is VERY popular. Basically I would just tell them that one chair broke and I couldn't find replacement recliners. Without mentioning I hate recliners.
They don't book the room for the recliners, no, but more for the size of the room.
I am continually amazed by the number of guests who say, 'I love what you did with my room.' (Accent on the 'my'.) Most of them I don't take to their (yes, 'their') rooms when they check-in, they just go. And several have come right back to ooh and aah about the changes I've made. So, yes, they really do notice when something is different. When we got rid of the last double bed guests thanked me. (And occupancy in that room rose.)
When we took the dorm fridge out of this same room, you would have thought I'd committed a crime. To me, it made the room look like a hotel. And I also, correctly, assumed that any guests in that room never met any other guests except at breakfast because there was no reason at all for them to leave. Now, because they have to come into the guest area for the fridge, they DO meet other guests, which is part of the whole experience. (Shoot me now, I know I am conniving to get guests to intermingle!)
It took a full year to get thru all the guests who were expecting to see that fridge. And there were a lot of unhappy campers.
Unless someone specifically said something, I wouldn't offer any explanation of why the chairs changed.

This morning's paper had an ad in it for barrel chairs in microfiber. I'm going to go take a look at those. They look like the leather version that muirford posted. They would fit the space (and space is an issue) and are not cost prohibitive. I would end up NOT replacing the chairs I originally started the thread about but would put these in another guest room that presently has rockers. Rockers are nice but guests mar the walls and baseboards with them and I'm always catching my sandal-clad toes on the rocker part.

catlady said:
OK...I thought I'd never say this but you do get weird guests. If I kept coming back to the same inn, same room, year after year & the same furniture was in the room....well, I would stop staying there. For goodness' sake, how many people have been sitting on those same chairs? And doing whatever else people do in guest rooms? Same thing with wood furniture that gets scratched, water rings, etc. Jeez, Louise....
I would do whatever I wanted to my rooms & just tell guests that we are always tweaking and improving our rooms, that's it. The only kiss of death might be if you have "themed" room decor that people really love and even then, you have to keep things fresh even if you stay with the theme.
I think you can't go wrong if you replace the chairs with something of similar quality, or better Quality and more comfortable. Maybe you're over thinking this.

This morning's paper had an ad in it for barrel chairs in microfiber. I'm going to go take a look at those. They look like the leather version that muirford posted. They would fit the space (and space is an issue) and are not cost prohibitive. I would end up NOT replacing the chairs I originally started the thread about but would put these in another guest room that presently has rockers. Rockers are nice but guests mar the walls and baseboards with them and I'm always catching my sandal-clad toes on the rocker part..
Would the barrel chairs go with your decor? They seem a bit too modern to me for your place. Hae you considered just using some nice natural wicker chairs that you can replace the cushions easily? They hold up well, can be comfy, and aren't expensive (especially this time of year).

catlady said:
catlady said:
This is totally off the OT but here goes...I have a woman who books this room every year for the same weekend. I consider this 'her' weekend for this room. (Same for a few other guests.) I go so far as to rebook her for the next year before she has arrived for the present year. A group of women booked the same room for a different weekend that coincided with a school holiday. Well, 2 years ago the group of women wanted to book the room for 2007. At that time, their school holiday coincided with the weekend my other guest always booked. Since I consider this 'her' weekend and the previous weekend was always 'their' weekend, I told the group of women that the room was unavailable.
They were mad. I mean really upset with me that I let someone else take 'their' weekend in 'their' room. They would not even consider a different room. There was no convincing them that they did not always have the weekend they wanted to book for the following year. They had NEVER been here on the weekend they wanted for 2007. They've never been back.
So, yes, guests do get attached to 'their' room. (Point of fact, the woman who I reserve the room for year after year absolutely HATED what I did to the room. She hated the new wallpaper, the new floors, the new arrangement, the new bedding, all of it. And, yet, she continues to book the room year after year and won't consider changing to another room.)
Other guests will call and ask if 'their' room is open and will not book if it isn't. And it's not just this one particular room. There are 4 rooms that get this response. (Wish I could bottle that and sell it, whatever it is!) One of the rooms that has its 'groupies' is the detached room, if you can believe it. I have offered to upgrade guests from that room for free and they turn me down.
Maybe that makes it easier to understand why I hesitate to make changes and try to make the changes as painless and seamless as possible. It's not really 'my' place. This B&B has a history of guests who come year after year to 'their' room. They consider this, really, their vacation home. For some it is just inertia. They've been here, they know us, we're harmless, so they come back because they have to be in the area for some particular reason. For others, it's something else altogether. Altho, given that one guest continues to come back even with all the changes, maybe it doesn't matter what I do.
teeth_smile.gif

This morning's paper had an ad in it for barrel chairs in microfiber. I'm going to go take a look at those. They look like the leather version that muirford posted. They would fit the space (and space is an issue) and are not cost prohibitive. I would end up NOT replacing the chairs I originally started the thread about but would put these in another guest room that presently has rockers. Rockers are nice but guests mar the walls and baseboards with them and I'm always catching my sandal-clad toes on the rocker part..
Would the barrel chairs go with your decor? They seem a bit too modern to me for your place. Hae you considered just using some nice natural wicker chairs that you can replace the cushions easily? They hold up well, can be comfy, and aren't expensive (especially this time of year).
Samster said:
I'm thinking the same thing which is why I am still sitting here and not in the car already. I like wicker, I think it would go well in here in the older part of the house, not in the new, which is where I am focusing. It IS expensive around here, even now. $200 for a simple chair. With no cushions! But, it's a thought.
OK, back to the drawing board...and yes, I overthink this stuff. Mostly because I hate to spend the money on something that isn't the exact perfect thing for the space.

catlady said:
OK...I thought I'd never say this but you do get weird guests. If I kept coming back to the same inn, same room, year after year & the same furniture was in the room....well, I would stop staying there. For goodness' sake, how many people have been sitting on those same chairs? And doing whatever else people do in guest rooms? Same thing with wood furniture that gets scratched, water rings, etc. Jeez, Louise....
I would do whatever I wanted to my rooms & just tell guests that we are always tweaking and improving our rooms, that's it. The only kiss of death might be if you have "themed" room decor that people really love and even then, you have to keep things fresh even if you stay with the theme.
I think you can't go wrong if you replace the chairs with something of similar quality, or better Quality and more comfortable. Maybe you're over thinking this.
Samster said:
OK...I thought I'd never say this but you do get weird guests.
REALLY? I hadn't noticed. (Insert sarcasm smiley here.) Sometimes the weirdest ones are the nicest.

Samster said:
I'm thinking the same thing which is why I am still sitting here and not in the car already. I like wicker, I think it would go well in here in the older part of the house, not in the new, which is where I am focusing. It IS expensive around here, even now. $200 for a simple chair. With no cushions! But, it's a thought.
OK, back to the drawing board...and yes, I overthink this stuff. Mostly because I hate to spend the money on something that isn't the exact perfect thing for the space.
Bree said:
Doesn't sound like overthinking to me. It's got to work, or why bother?
=)
Kk.

catlady said:
Samster said:
If I kept coming back to the same inn, same room, year after year & the same furniture was in the room....well, I would stop staying there. For goodness' sake, how many people have been sitting on those same chairs? And doing whatever else people do in guest rooms?
This makes me glad that I DO change the quilts out every few years. And it's why I don't buy expensive bedding. And would never buy something that had to be dry cleaned. I can keep the look 'fresh' without going broke. And I can keep it all clean without going broke!
I do get the thing about the chairs, tho, especially the ones that got me thinking in the first place.

Back