Locks-recommendations?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthFork53

Reaction score
Hi fellow innkeepers,
I run a farm-to-b&b on the Oregon coast and have received several requests from guests for guestroom locks. Being a rural homesteader, I don't ever lock my doors and have never run into a problem with guests personal belongings left in their rooms while they're gone for the day. However, I understand that some folks are worried about their stuff and it seems like a simple install for peace of mind's sake.
I'm thinking of push-button locks one would use for a bathroom, but then there's the issue of the key and people losing keys... Maybe a combo-lock? These are likely not pleasing to the aesthetic eye.
Suggestions? I do appreciate all your help :)
Cheers!
Ana

The thing is from a guest's point of view - they may live in a big city where you would never consider not locking up - its like I explained to my husband when people fuss about street parking here - you don't know what its like where they live
(2) - you may be trustworthy (and I am sure you are) but who knows about other guests? and its not just stuff its people going into the wrong rooms at night and so on - weve had it here were people have gone out in the night half asleep for a cigarette then walked into the wrong room or people who are a bit tipsy - and as a woman traveler alone I would walk out of any property that didn't have locks on the bedroom doors.
We use mortice locks as I don't trust people with yale's not to lock themselves out ie locks you have to actively turn the key to lock - its just a case of making sure you get them back when they leave.

We have a very specific farm house chic aesthetic that we would like to maintain. Any nice and easy-to-use keypad door knobs you have found or seen?

We use simple door locks with the little knob you twist to lock/unlock. Yes, keys. Not a big deal. We don't lose that many. Most guests mail them back if they walk off with them.
I usually shove a chair under the door knob in places that don't have locks. It's really better for you and your insurance to allow guests the choice. Maybe they don't lock the doors, maybe they do, but it should be their choice.
I've stayed in two places without locks on the bedroom door. Not a happy camper here. Every little noise and I was awake.
Heck, regular houses have locks on bedroom and bathroom doors, I can't think anyone would expect less in a strange place.

We use simple door locks with the little knob you twist to lock/unlock. Yes, keys. Not a big deal. We don't lose that many. Most guests mail them back if they walk off with them.
I usually shove a chair under the door knob in places that don't have locks. It's really better for you and your insurance to allow guests the choice. Maybe they don't lock the doors, maybe they do, but it should be their choice.
I've stayed in two places without locks on the bedroom door. Not a happy camper here. Every little noise and I was awake.
Heck, regular houses have locks on bedroom and bathroom doors, I can't think anyone would expect less in a strange place..
Thanks! That's good to hear that people don't often walk away with keys. Though, the number of times I've lost keys isn't reassuring, haha!
I appreciate your input.

We have a very specific farm house chic aesthetic that we would like to maintain. Any nice and easy-to-use keypad door knobs you have found or seen?.
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/250017197/vintage-black-door-handles-with-fleur-de?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=door%20handles&ref=sr_gallery_8
you can make the outsides look like anything you want

My house was built in 1912. We put deadbolt locks on all doors - color is a burnished bronze - not shiny). One bathroom is shared - it has a deadbolt lock and I have the only key so no one can possibly walk in on someone IF they have locked the door. Yes, a few keys have traveled - some even came back (mailed) - but keys are cheap. I have never had a key return with a guest (former) attached to it (in my 20th year). I keep several sets for each room on hand (mainly for when a guest locks their keys in the room). On the outside, my deadbolts are flush with the door. On the inside, there is a lever to push to unlock it I would NEVER have a deadbolt that required a key to open from the inside.
I have 3 guestrooms and the shared bath with these locks.

Yale Real Living with Z Wave.
Thanks! We'd rather not install a dead bolt if we don't have to... but I will look for other styles from that company...
We don't use the dead bolts, we use the lever locks with keypads. We got tired of chasing guests for keys. Got tired of them forgetting where they left it, or leaving it in the room, locking themselves out. We program them with an easy number for them to remember and then reprogram them when they leave.

Thanks! We'd rather not install a dead bolt if we don't have to... but I will look for other styles from that company...
We don't use the dead bolts, we use the lever locks with keypads. We got tired of chasing guests for keys. Got tired of them forgetting where they left it, or leaving it in the room, locking themselves out. We program them with an easy number for them to remember and then reprogram them when they leave.
Generic said:
We're thinking about this for next year. And yet. How many times does someone ring the doorbell to get back in the house because they 'forgot' the code?
It's gotten to the point where I'm tempted to make them repeat it out loud. All of them. The whole party.

For insurance purposes room locks are also advisable. Glad you are seeing it from the guests POV to install locks.

Also, check your state's regulations for hotels and B&Bs. Vermont requires there be a lock that can be clearly locked from the inside and not opened from the outside (i.e.) single deadbolt.

Generic said:
We're thinking about this for next year. And yet. How many times does someone ring the doorbell to get back in the house because they 'forgot' the code?
It's gotten to the point where I'm tempted to make them repeat it out loud. All of them. The whole party.
We have had only one person who really forgot their code in 9 years. Of course we make a code for each person based on something they gave us.

Generic said:
We have had only one person who really forgot their code in 9 years. Of course we make a code for each person based on something they gave us.
Generic said:
"I forgot which phone number you told me."
"That's not MY phone number." (When told the number.)
"I don't know my wife's phone number, she made the reservation."
"I didn't hear what you said."
"My wife didn't tell me."
"My sister didn't tell me the code."
"I didn't know the door was locked all day."
All of which is why I hate checking in one person while the rest sit in the car.

"I ... have received several requests from guests for guestroom locks"
This is why you must get them. I'm surprised your insurer or state regs don't require them.
I'd go with simple locks with keys for a farmhouse kind of place. Probably aged bronze from Schlage with a lever or something similar. I'd have to hire a locksmith. But that is me. What is your budget for this?
Welcome!

Welcome! We have two locks on our guest room doors and we still have guests leave the doors unlocked or open, but its there if they want it.

Of course, this also happens - guests lock themselves out of their rooms and wake me up at 1 AM.

Generic said:
Generic said:
All of which is why I hate checking in one person while the rest sit in the car.
Think annie who is one here sometimes - they do this but they give every guest a post it with the 4 didget code on - ie not headed or anything, so would not mean anything to anyone else - then is reprogrammed for next guest

Generic said:
Generic said:
No comment on the average IQ of your guests, right?

Back