Locks-recommendations?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yale Real Living with Z Wave.
Thanks! We'd rather not install a dead bolt if we don't have to... but I will look for other styles from that company...
We don't use the dead bolts, we use the lever locks with keypads. We got tired of chasing guests for keys. Got tired of them forgetting where they left it, or leaving it in the room, locking themselves out. We program them with an easy number for them to remember and then reprogram them when they leave.
Generic said:
We don't use the dead bolts, we use the lever locks with keypads. We got tired of chasing guests for keys. Got tired of them forgetting where they left it, or leaving it in the room, locking themselves out. We program them with an easy number for them to remember and then reprogram them when they leave.
We're thinking about this for next year. And yet. How many times does someone ring the doorbell to get back in the house because they 'forgot' the code?
It's gotten to the point where I'm tempted to make them repeat it out loud. All of them. The whole party.
We have had only one person who really forgot their code in 9 years. Of course we make a code for each person based on something they gave us.
Generic said:
We have had only one person who really forgot their code in 9 years. Of course we make a code for each person based on something they gave us.
"I forgot which phone number you told me."
"That's not MY phone number." (When told the number.)
"I don't know my wife's phone number, she made the reservation."
"I didn't hear what you said."
"My wife didn't tell me."
"My sister didn't tell me the code."
"I didn't know the door was locked all day."
All of which is why I hate checking in one person while the rest sit in the car.
No comment on the average IQ of your guests, right?
Generic said:
They just don't pay attention. Maybe I should put something on the inside of the door that says: Mystery # 47: How do I get back in?
Then let them think about it.
At least try to find out before you go out or dinner, when you are actually aware that you cannot get back in the house, rather than waiting until after midnight and having to ring the bell then and drag me out of bed. (As someone just did. Even when apologizing the guest mentioned realizing just as they left that they couldn't get back in. So ringing the bell at 6:30 to ask was not as much fun as standing outside in the cold after midnight?)

Thanks! We'd rather not install a dead bolt if we don't have to... but I will look for other styles from that company...
Generic said:
We're thinking about this for next year. And yet. How many times does someone ring the doorbell to get back in the house because they 'forgot' the code?
It's gotten to the point where I'm tempted to make them repeat it out loud. All of them. The whole party.
Generic said:
All of which is why I hate checking in one person while the rest sit in the car.
Generic said:
They just don't pay attention. Maybe I should put something on the inside of the door that says: Mystery # 47: How do I get back in?
At least try to find out before you go out or dinner, when you are actually aware that you cannot get back in the house, rather than waiting until after midnight and having to ring the bell then and drag me out of bed. (As someone just did. Even when apologizing the guest mentioned realizing just as they left that they couldn't get back in. So ringing the bell at 6:30 to ask was not as much fun as standing outside in the cold after midnight?)
We actually make them try it, saying that we want them to ensure that we have programmed it correctly. So they have tried it at least once and have tactile memory of it.

Generic said:
Generic said:
Generic said:
We actually make them try it, saying that we want them to ensure that we have programmed it correctly. So they have tried it at least once and have tactile memory of it.
All of them? Or just one of them? I sometimes have 5 people on one code.
If there's a kid, I tell the kid it's their job to get everyone trained on how to get in the house. That works better than anything else.
Maybe I should start piping the number onto a cookie. "Memorize this, then destroy the evidence!" Ok, let me think about that one...

Generic said:
Generic said:
Generic said:
All of them? Or just one of them? I sometimes have 5 people on one code.
If there's a kid, I tell the kid it's their job to get everyone trained on how to get in the house. That works better than anything else.
Maybe I should start piping the number onto a cookie. "Memorize this, then destroy the evidence!" Ok, let me think about that one...
One of them. We don't tell them it's their phone number until it clicks in their head. We hint, as them, etc. Some of them want to put it into their phone... we laugh when they figure it out. We use their mobile number sometimes :)

Generic said:
Generic said:
Think annie who is one here sometimes - they do this but they give every guest a post it with the 4 didget code on - ie not headed or anything, so would not mean anything to anyone else - then is reprogrammed for next guest
Main outside door.
For guests staying more then one night, we use the last four digits of their mobile number (which 95% of them have with them). To avoid any fumbling around while they stand there watching, I enter it before they arrive.
After they have checked in I ask them to walk past the door with their phone in their hand, purse or pocket. "Ta-Daa - look at that, your last 4 digits are now in the door." They look at me, their phones, the lock, back to me and then their phones. In four years not one person has forgotten their code. They then practice using the lock while standing outside. If it is -40°C they learn to use it very quickly.

Bedroom doors have a simple passage lock key, each bedroom has an individual lock/key. 98% of guests never ask for them and the other 2% only use them because of business security for their laptops etc. The option is always there for them to use.

Back