Make it special

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez Mort- what is this all about. Why is this worth a rant? Sounds like an easy to fix error..
happykeeper said:
Geez Mort- what is this all about. Why is this worth a rant? Sounds like an easy to fix error.
My sentiments exactly! Why did the guest need to upset me with a rant about how I was ruining her birthday by saying only one person was coming? Couldn't she have been pleasant about it? !!! and all in the email. "It's my special day!!! Don't mess it up!!!"
Why should this upset you so much? Obviously, I don't have the full breadth of your communications with your guest, but why drag this onto the forum? Folks have given out tons of advice about this kind of stuff. It's easily fixable on all levels.
happykeeper, I'm really confused about why you are attacking Morticia about ranting on here. Everybody does it. We use this forum as a place to ask questions, learn from each other and occasionally rant about something that a guest does that irks us. "Why drag this onto the forum?" Really? I try very hard not to antagonize on here, but I truly don't understand what harm her rant did to you.
I don't understand why any of the people who made odd comments on this post didn't just laugh with her and shake their heads thinking, "Some guests..."
Where has the kindness and compassion gone on this site? I've been lurking lately, but I don't like the tension, rudeness and holier-than-thou attitude I've been seeing lately from alot of posters. This used to be our happy place. It's not anymore. Some people need to read more and comment less. OMG, this has my hackles up!!!
I would say you are probably correct. Endless complaining about guests does not agree with me and I have made a poor attempt at trying to have my way about it. The proper choice would be to hit someone's ignore button and let it go.
I read it as an Oy vey - you are not going to believe the complaint I got today - kind of laugh rant. The kinds if things that gets guests' shorts in a know. This is actually invaluable info for newbies and aspirings because it clues them in to the kinds of idiocy we get. So yes, it IS a good post.
People will often LOOK for something to hang their unhappiness on to be YOUR fault they are unhappy. Be ready to understand it is not personal, you just happen to be the statue of the moment.

Geez Mort- what is this all about. Why is this worth a rant? Sounds like an easy to fix error..
happykeeper said:
Geez Mort- what is this all about. Why is this worth a rant? Sounds like an easy to fix error.
My sentiments exactly! Why did the guest need to upset me with a rant about how I was ruining her birthday by saying only one person was coming? Couldn't she have been pleasant about it? !!! and all in the email. "It's my special day!!! Don't mess it up!!!"
Why should this upset you so much? Obviously, I don't have the full breadth of your communications with your guest, but why drag this onto the forum? Folks have given out tons of advice about this kind of stuff. It's easily fixable on all levels.
Did I ask for advice? Is it no longer acceptable to make comments about the day to day?
Easy fix, of course. I emailed back and said we don't make random changes to guest reservations and the confirmation goes out as it was reserved. Then I said I would be happy to fix the error she made, no extra charge for the new guest. Did she want to provide us with the other guest's name?
So, did she get back to you with the info? Is her reservation soon, or are you going to have weeks and weeks to plot ways to disrupt her special day even more?
Aussie Innkeeper said:
So, did she get back to you with the info? Is her reservation soon, or are you going to have weeks and weeks to plot ways to disrupt her special day even more?
No more info from her. I'm not really planning to spoil her vacation. But it will happen because she's already making too much of a big deal over how important and special it has to be.
Morticia said:
I'm not really planning to spoil her vacation. But it will happen because she's already making too much of a big deal over how important and special it has to be.
Good analysis. Her ridiculous attitude so far makes it clear she's determined to have a horrible time.
Imagine how her wedding day went!!!

happykeeper said:
Did I ask for advice? Is it no longer acceptable to make comments about the day to day?
Easy fix, of course. I emailed back and said we don't make random changes to guest reservations and the confirmation goes out as it was reserved. Then I said I would be happy to fix the error she made, no extra charge for the new guest. Did she want to provide us with the other guest's name?
Aussie Innkeeper said:
No more info from her. I'm not really planning to spoil her vacation. But it will happen because she's already making too much of a big deal over how important and special it has to be.
Morticia said:
I'm not really planning to spoil her vacation. But it will happen because she's already making too much of a big deal over how important and special it has to be.
Good analysis. Her ridiculous attitude so far makes it clear she's determined to have a horrible time.
Maybe she's expecting a proposal for this birthday. Which would be difficult if I only let her in.

happykeeper said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Morticia said:
Maybe she's expecting a proposal for this birthday. Which would be difficult if I only let her in.
Never understood why someone would ruin a perfectly good birthday/holiday by throwing in a proposal, instead of making it it's own special day.
It's like two sisters having a joint wedding day... from then on out you have to share your anniversary too. And it's not your own special day. I would NEVER propose on someone's birthday.

happykeeper said:
happykeeper, I'm really confused about why you are attacking Morticia about ranting on here. Everybody does it. We use this forum as a place to ask questions, learn from each other and occasionally rant about something that a guest does that irks us. "Why drag this onto the forum?" Really? I try very hard not to antagonize on here, but I truly don't understand what harm her rant did to you.
I don't understand why any of the people who made odd comments on this post didn't just laugh with her and shake their heads thinking, "Some guests..."
Where has the kindness and compassion gone on this site? I've been lurking lately, but I don't like the tension, rudeness and holier-than-thou attitude I've been seeing lately from alot of posters. This used to be our happy place. It's not anymore. Some people need to read more and comment less. OMG, this has my hackles up!!!
Kay Nein said:
exactly my reason for just lurking any more :(

happykeeper said:
Kay Nein said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Kay Nein said:
But by doing that you are doing the opposite, allowing the negative stuff to be here moreso without the good positive stuff.
heart.gif

happykeeper said:
Kay Nein said:
Recently I put a thread up, with a few ideas I had for security. One was a videocam in the checkin area; my wife will be by herself at times. Another was to spend about 30 seconds per room taking before/after shots of furniture/walls/carpets in case of damage. Also, quick pix of the license plates and "this place is alarmed" stickers on the doors, essentially.
Responders could have told me "doesn't apply" or better ways to do it. Instead, I was mauled, joked at, abused, ridiculed, and spat up, in great detail. I am a longterm landlord, so that is the POV I start from, modified for the fact it is very short-term stays.
Many other times I have been stomped on for daring to have an opinion. I have been "snarked at", flamed, told basically to shut up, accused of having a bad attitude, etc.
There are a few people here, who are downright evil and haughty in their opinions of others. They have years of experience, so that gives them the right to look down on new people, stalk, ridicule, and other forms of obnoxious behavior. I try to envision these people as also being congenial hosts, but the anonymity of the internet allows them to become conceited jackasses (sorry for the non PC language).
There is nothing in any of my posts I regret nor would I take back. This is a democracy, so we are allowed to have opinions, to learn, to discuss ideas, to make mistakes, and to try and further one another's knowledge and experience.

happykeeper said:
Kay Nein said:
Recently I put a thread up, with a few ideas I had for security. One was a videocam in the checkin area; my wife will be by herself at times. Another was to spend about 30 seconds per room taking before/after shots of furniture/walls/carpets in case of damage. Also, quick pix of the license plates and "this place is alarmed" stickers on the doors, essentially.
Responders could have told me "doesn't apply" or better ways to do it. Instead, I was mauled, joked at, abused, ridiculed, and spat up, in great detail. I am a longterm landlord, so that is the POV I start from, modified for the fact it is very short-term stays.
Many other times I have been stomped on for daring to have an opinion. I have been "snarked at", flamed, told basically to shut up, accused of having a bad attitude, etc.
There are a few people here, who are downright evil and haughty in their opinions of others. They have years of experience, so that gives them the right to look down on new people, stalk, ridicule, and other forms of obnoxious behavior. I try to envision these people as also being congenial hosts, but the anonymity of the internet allows them to become conceited jackasses (sorry for the non PC language).
There is nothing in any of my posts I regret nor would I take back. This is a democracy, so we are allowed to have opinions, to learn, to discuss ideas, to make mistakes, and to try and further one another's knowledge and experience.
Stalk?
You want our experience, we give it to you. We told you that your security was way over the top for a B&B. So, let's talk about that... what message do you think that all that security conveys on your clients, that you are a relaxing place to stay or that they are not safe?
As for pictures in the room... most of the damage you will ever have to a room is simply CoB (Cost of Business). But let's explore the other side of this. Suppose there is a damage. Have you read the CC agreement? You can't legally charge their CC without their permission, so how are you going to collect? Pursue it in court? So, you do it in small claims court, it takes a few months, you get a judgement. You have to enforce the judgement across state lines (or International borders), you have spend months doing this. So you decide to hire a bailiff, finally collect the money. They post it on TA and it costs you thousands in bookings... so, who won?
Experience tells us that some things are just easier to drop than to fight, that they are simply part of CoB. Online in a review a he said/she said will be won by the client.
Maybe this isn't the business for you. When it comes to tenants you need to stand up and be hard. Doesn't work in the B&B business. But maybe you are right, we should be charging our clients when they break a wine glass, dribble jam on the table or flood the bathroom.

happykeeper said:
Kay Nein said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Kay Nein said:
But by doing that you are doing the opposite, allowing the negative stuff to be here moreso without the good positive stuff.
heart.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Kay Nein said:
heart.gif
Yes I am quoting myself on this.
Never mind, it will continue, put those people on block/ignore and enjoy the rest of the forum.
Don't let anyone ruin your day. From me to you - HAVE A WONDERFUL AWESOME BEAUTIFUL MAGNIFICENT DAY!
and yes, less time here is what has to happen I suppose...sorry everyone that a few bad apples have to bully and ruin the whole bunch.

happykeeper said:
Kay Nein said:
I am going to break my own promise to ME and respond.
Perhaps the reason the comments are what they are is because aspirings and newbies read here and no one wants the statements of someone who has NEVER BEEN an innkeeper taken as fact, policy, or the way things should be done.
The goal of an innkeeper should be to offer WELCOMING, relaxing, and comfortable oases to people with stressful lives. THEY are trusting us to provide this (not a prison atmosphere) and to be warm, welcoming people. WE trust them to provide revenue. In 19 years, I have never had anything stolen. Now retired, I know innkeepers with an antique shop in one room of the inn AND a collection of snuff boxes on display on a table in the common room - the kind than could be covered with an hand and disappear - and NONE were ever stolen.
The guests at a B & B are NOT the no-tell motel patrons nor the stolen towel hotel people. For the most part, they are the people who appreciate us and what we offer. They are not tenants, they are guests. There IS a difference. OK, going back to my sandbox.

happykeeper said:
Kay Nein said:
Perhaps the reason the comments are what they are is because aspirings and newbies read here and no one wants the statements of someone who has NEVER BEEN an innkeeper taken as fact, policy, or the way things should be done.
The goal of an innkeeper should be to offer WELCOMING, relaxing, and comfortable oases to people with stressful lives. THEY are trusting us to provide this (not a prison atmosphere) and to be warm, welcoming people. WE trust them to provide revenue. In 19 years, I have never had anything stolen. Now retired, I know innkeepers with an antique shop in one room of the inn AND a collection of snuff boxes on display on a table in the common room - the kind than could be covered with an hand and disappear - and NONE were ever stolen.
The guests at a B & B are NOT the no-tell motel patrons nor the stolen towel hotel people. For the most part, they are the people who appreciate us and what we offer. They are not tenants, they are guests. There IS a difference. OK, going back to my sandbox.
Yes. And referring to folks who stay in our homes/inns/B&Bs as anything but "guests", such as clients, is always telling towards one's overall mindset and perspective re warmth and hospitality.

happykeeper said:
Kay Nein said:
Yes. And referring to folks who stay in our homes/inns/B&Bs as anything but "guests", such as clients, is always telling towards one's overall mindset and perspective re warmth and hospitality.
That is an odd assessment. Dictionary.com refers to client (adj form) as a regular customer. In other words, a continuing relationship. Guest had no sense of repetition.
The first thing I reviewed using "bed & breakfast" client, hotelpropeller.com (7 ways to advertise a B&B article) uses "client" 3x as much on that page as "guest".
In addition, googling the search term "bed and breakfast" client returns 92 million hits.
Picking arbitrary things and standing on a soap box is pride, it is not proof.

happykeeper said:
Kay Nein said:
That is an odd assessment. Dictionary.com refers to client (adj form) as a regular customer. In other words, a continuing relationship. Guest had no sense of repetition.
The first thing I reviewed using "bed & breakfast" client, hotelpropeller.com (7 ways to advertise a B&B article) uses "client" 3x as much on that page as "guest".
In addition, googling the search term "bed and breakfast" client returns 92 million hits.
Arbitrary? If one Googles "Bed and Breakfast Guests" it returns 881 BILLION hits!
This is not a matter of pride. I do however, have a Hospitality Management degree from one of the most prestigious schools in the field, and we were immediately taught from day one, that folks are our Guests. In fact, if one were to utter "client" we would immediately be chastised by our professors. .
I also have a degree in Psychology and the terms we choose to use are indeed indicative of our perceptions.

happykeeper said:
Kay Nein said:
Arbitrary? If one Googles "Bed and Breakfast Guests" it returns 881 BILLION hits!
This is not a matter of pride. I do however, have a Hospitality Management degree from one of the most prestigious schools in the field, and we were immediately taught from day one, that folks are our Guests. In fact, if one were to utter "client" we would immediately be chastised by our professors. .
I also have a degree in Psychology and the terms we choose to use are indeed indicative of our perceptions.
Yes, it is a matter of pride to quote your resume as Hospitality Management from a prestigious schools and degree in Psychology as if that has much meaning. I have a Master's in computer science from one of the prestigious schools in the field as well as a Bachelor's in Biology, and the googling of "Bed and Breakfast Guests" yields 881,000,000 which is 881 MILLION hits (ie, not BILLION).
So apparently your prestigious school did not place much emphasis on basic math. And "bed and breakfast clients" returns 123 MILLION hits, so obviously it is used widely and broadly. So apparently your professors fulfill the "those who cannot do, teach."
Also, your double period after "professors" does not say much about their emphasis on punctuation, either.
But that is endemic here. A few people think way too much of themselves, and try to push others around. Pride. Lack of humility. Self important. Self righteous.
Next time, stop aiming the gun at both feet.

happykeeper said:
Kay Nein said:
Stalk?
You want our experience, we give it to you. We told you that your security was way over the top for a B&B. So, let's talk about that... what message do you think that all that security conveys on your clients, that you are a relaxing place to stay or that they are not safe?
As for pictures in the room... most of the damage you will ever have to a room is simply CoB (Cost of Business). But let's explore the other side of this. Suppose there is a damage. Have you read the CC agreement? You can't legally charge their CC without their permission, so how are you going to collect? Pursue it in court? So, you do it in small claims court, it takes a few months, you get a judgement. You have to enforce the judgement across state lines (or International borders), you have spend months doing this. So you decide to hire a bailiff, finally collect the money. They post it on TA and it costs you thousands in bookings... so, who won?
Experience tells us that some things are just easier to drop than to fight, that they are simply part of CoB. Online in a review a he said/she said will be won by the client.
Maybe this isn't the business for you. When it comes to tenants you need to stand up and be hard. Doesn't work in the B&B business. But maybe you are right, we should be charging our clients when they break a wine glass, dribble jam on the table or flood the bathroom.
Thanks for the feed back; it is appreciated.
The "stalking" refers to 3 individuals who follow me around and say rant essentially the same thing in different locations. Most people here like yourself, are wonderful and giving.
The damages is pretty similar to that for tenants. Once a tenant moves away, it is rarely worth it got court, and even then, it is hard to collect if you win. You take it out of the deposit if any left. CoB.

happykeeper said:
Kay Nein said:
Stalk?
Thanks for the feed back; it is appreciated.
The "stalking" refers to 3 individuals who follow me around and say rant essentially the same thing in different locations. Most people here like yourself, are wonderful and giving.
The damages is pretty similar to that for tenants. Once a tenant moves away, it is rarely worth it got court, and even then, it is hard to collect if you win. You take it out of the deposit if any left. CoB.
No deposit. I know, hotels take a security hold all the time. But if the guest questions it, it's a charge back and one they are guaranteed to lose. See page 5 and page 16 of the Visa guide for the lodging industry.
Any teacher will tell you that there is a difference between asking... how do I add numbers and how do I add 2 and 3. The answer to one is to show you how it works, the second is simply 5. Don't tell people what security you want to put in place, ask people what kind of security they think you might need.
The biggest security you need is your price and making sure you get paid. Most everything else will work out if the price is right. Prostitutes are unlikely to come to a B&B because the owner is around. A few adulterers may show up and pay cash because you are a place that others wouldn't know about. To be honest, they don't bother me.... they usually use the room and check out, no breakfast, almost clean room and cash on the barrel. The people who bring drama, don't stay at B&Bs for the most part.

happykeeper said:
Kay Nein said:
Yes, it is a matter of pride to quote your resume as Hospitality Management from a prestigious schools and degree in Psychology as if that has much meaning. I have a Master's in computer science from one of the prestigious schools in the field as well as a Bachelor's in Biology, and the googling of "Bed and Breakfast Guests" yields 881,000,000 which is 881 MILLION hits (ie, not BILLION).
So apparently your prestigious school did not place much emphasis on basic math. And "bed and breakfast clients" returns 123 MILLION hits, so obviously it is used widely and broadly. So apparently your professors fulfill the "those who cannot do, teach."
Also, your double period after "professors" does not say much about their emphasis on punctuation, either.
But that is endemic here. A few people think way too much of themselves, and try to push others around. Pride. Lack of humility. Self important. Self righteous.
Ah, ha!... the "prestigious" was intentionally tongue-in-cheek on my part, and thus provoking and proving your over-reaction yet again. Yep, 881 Million is close to 123 Million. And petty punctuation, just a mere slip of the keys. Silliness... AND I don't recall mentioning you when I referred to the word "client" to begin with...

happykeeper said:
Kay Nein said:
Ah, ha!... the "prestigious" was intentionally tongue-in-cheek on my part, and thus provoking and proving your over-reaction yet again. Yep, 881 Million is close to 123 Million. And petty punctuation, just a mere slip of the keys. Silliness... AND I don't recall mentioning you when I referred to the word "client" to begin with...
AND, this is fact: It boils down to the Quality of Results. I went all the way through to Page 37 of the Bed and Breakfast "Guests" search results. The vast majority are actual B&B owners speaking about their "Guests". Now look at actual results for Bed and Breakfast "Clients". Notice that beginning on Page 1, the vast majority who use the word Client are third party sources! In fact, there were only 6 actual B&Bs in the first 4 pages of results who used "clients", after that, literally no B&Bs came up.

happykeeper said:
Kay Nein said:
Over reaction? You went through 37 pages of google results? Your last few posts are nothing but peculiar.

happykeeper said:
Kay Nein said:
Over reaction? You went through 37 pages of google results? Your last few posts are nothing but peculiar.
Objectively: I made a comment about guests vs clients that had nothing to do with you; you jumped in and attacked me re soapbox pride; then pettily jumped on punctuation, my credentials, etc; now you are calling me peculiar, despite my being able to substantiate my claims, and years of relevant education and experience.
Yes, anyone with a scientific background knows that data results need to be realistic. As pointed out by others here, you can Google any terms together and get millions of results, but are they accurate? Obviously, I did not go though 37 pages, merely skimmed forward quickly, then back-tracked.

Back