Make it special

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez Mort- what is this all about. Why is this worth a rant? Sounds like an easy to fix error..
happykeeper said:
Geez Mort- what is this all about. Why is this worth a rant? Sounds like an easy to fix error.
My sentiments exactly! Why did the guest need to upset me with a rant about how I was ruining her birthday by saying only one person was coming? Couldn't she have been pleasant about it? !!! and all in the email. "It's my special day!!! Don't mess it up!!!"
Why should this upset you so much? Obviously, I don't have the full breadth of your communications with your guest, but why drag this onto the forum? Folks have given out tons of advice about this kind of stuff. It's easily fixable on all levels.
happykeeper, I'm really confused about why you are attacking Morticia about ranting on here. Everybody does it. We use this forum as a place to ask questions, learn from each other and occasionally rant about something that a guest does that irks us. "Why drag this onto the forum?" Really? I try very hard not to antagonize on here, but I truly don't understand what harm her rant did to you.
I don't understand why any of the people who made odd comments on this post didn't just laugh with her and shake their heads thinking, "Some guests..."
Where has the kindness and compassion gone on this site? I've been lurking lately, but I don't like the tension, rudeness and holier-than-thou attitude I've been seeing lately from alot of posters. This used to be our happy place. It's not anymore. Some people need to read more and comment less. OMG, this has my hackles up!!!
Kay Nein said:
happykeeper, I'm really confused about why you are attacking Morticia about ranting on here. Everybody does it. We use this forum as a place to ask questions, learn from each other and occasionally rant about something that a guest does that irks us. "Why drag this onto the forum?" Really? I try very hard not to antagonize on here, but I truly don't understand what harm her rant did to you.
I don't understand why any of the people who made odd comments on this post didn't just laugh with her and shake their heads thinking, "Some guests..."
Where has the kindness and compassion gone on this site? I've been lurking lately, but I don't like the tension, rudeness and holier-than-thou attitude I've been seeing lately from alot of posters. This used to be our happy place. It's not anymore. Some people need to read more and comment less. OMG, this has my hackles up!!!
exactly my reason for just lurking any more :(
Recently I put a thread up, with a few ideas I had for security. One was a videocam in the checkin area; my wife will be by herself at times. Another was to spend about 30 seconds per room taking before/after shots of furniture/walls/carpets in case of damage. Also, quick pix of the license plates and "this place is alarmed" stickers on the doors, essentially.
Responders could have told me "doesn't apply" or better ways to do it. Instead, I was mauled, joked at, abused, ridiculed, and spat up, in great detail. I am a longterm landlord, so that is the POV I start from, modified for the fact it is very short-term stays.
Many other times I have been stomped on for daring to have an opinion. I have been "snarked at", flamed, told basically to shut up, accused of having a bad attitude, etc.
There are a few people here, who are downright evil and haughty in their opinions of others. They have years of experience, so that gives them the right to look down on new people, stalk, ridicule, and other forms of obnoxious behavior. I try to envision these people as also being congenial hosts, but the anonymity of the internet allows them to become conceited jackasses (sorry for the non PC language).
There is nothing in any of my posts I regret nor would I take back. This is a democracy, so we are allowed to have opinions, to learn, to discuss ideas, to make mistakes, and to try and further one another's knowledge and experience.
I am going to break my own promise to ME and respond.
Perhaps the reason the comments are what they are is because aspirings and newbies read here and no one wants the statements of someone who has NEVER BEEN an innkeeper taken as fact, policy, or the way things should be done.
The goal of an innkeeper should be to offer WELCOMING, relaxing, and comfortable oases to people with stressful lives. THEY are trusting us to provide this (not a prison atmosphere) and to be warm, welcoming people. WE trust them to provide revenue. In 19 years, I have never had anything stolen. Now retired, I know innkeepers with an antique shop in one room of the inn AND a collection of snuff boxes on display on a table in the common room - the kind than could be covered with an hand and disappear - and NONE were ever stolen.
The guests at a B & B are NOT the no-tell motel patrons nor the stolen towel hotel people. For the most part, they are the people who appreciate us and what we offer. They are not tenants, they are guests. There IS a difference. OK, going back to my sandbox.
Yes. And referring to folks who stay in our homes/inns/B&Bs as anything but "guests", such as clients, is always telling towards one's overall mindset and perspective re warmth and hospitality.
That is an odd assessment. Dictionary.com refers to client (adj form) as a regular customer. In other words, a continuing relationship. Guest had no sense of repetition.
The first thing I reviewed using "bed & breakfast" client, hotelpropeller.com (7 ways to advertise a B&B article) uses "client" 3x as much on that page as "guest".
In addition, googling the search term "bed and breakfast" client returns 92 million hits.
Picking arbitrary things and standing on a soap box is pride, it is not proof.
Arbitrary? If one Googles "Bed and Breakfast Guests" it returns 881 BILLION hits!
This is not a matter of pride. I do however, have a Hospitality Management degree from one of the most prestigious schools in the field, and we were immediately taught from day one, that folks are our Guests. In fact, if one were to utter "client" we would immediately be chastised by our professors. .
I also have a degree in Psychology and the terms we choose to use are indeed indicative of our perceptions.
Yes, it is a matter of pride to quote your resume as Hospitality Management from a prestigious schools and degree in Psychology as if that has much meaning. I have a Master's in computer science from one of the prestigious schools in the field as well as a Bachelor's in Biology, and the googling of "Bed and Breakfast Guests" yields 881,000,000 which is 881 MILLION hits (ie, not BILLION).
So apparently your prestigious school did not place much emphasis on basic math. And "bed and breakfast clients" returns 123 MILLION hits, so obviously it is used widely and broadly. So apparently your professors fulfill the "those who cannot do, teach."
Also, your double period after "professors" does not say much about their emphasis on punctuation, either.
But that is endemic here. A few people think way too much of themselves, and try to push others around. Pride. Lack of humility. Self important. Self righteous.
Next time, stop aiming the gun at both feet.
undersea said:
Yes, it is a matter of pride to quote your resume as Hospitality Management from a prestigious schools and degree in Psychology as if that has much meaning. I have a Master's in computer science from one of the prestigious schools in the field as well as a Bachelor's in Biology, and the googling of "Bed and Breakfast Guests" yields 881,000,000 which is 881 MILLION hits (ie, not BILLION).
So apparently your prestigious school did not place much emphasis on basic math. And "bed and breakfast clients" returns 123 MILLION hits, so obviously it is used widely and broadly. So apparently your professors fulfill the "those who cannot do, teach."
Also, your double period after "professors" does not say much about their emphasis on punctuation, either.
But that is endemic here. A few people think way too much of themselves, and try to push others around. Pride. Lack of humility. Self important. Self righteous.
Next time, stop aiming the gun at both feet.
AND
undersea said:
The "stalking" refers to 3 individuals who follow me around and say rant essentially the same thing in different locations. Most people here like yourself, are wonderful and giving.
If I recall, YOU have repeatedly touted your education in several posts. YOU are the one that continues to try to impress people with your background & knowledge, yet you have no experience in our industry.
This is also not the first time you have mentioned these, in your words, 'stalkers' because they rebuttal your posts. Those of us that have been on this site for far longer than you know that new people read these posts every day. It is important for this site to provide the experienced innkeepers perspective(s).
When people read bazaar posts, such as your security post (IMHO), more experienced innkeepers find it necessary to set the record straight. But if you feel the need to be that anal in your security, so be it as long as you feel you will be more comfortable doing so. AND this brings me to one question, if you do not like the advice here or the people offering advice here, WHY are YOU here?

BTW, the lunacy continues. Phone call asking if we can accommodate a guest coming in when we are closed. And needing childcare during the day. And staying for a month. I explain we're closed and recommend another 2 places to call.
I do not mention hotels because person called a B&B. Oh stupid me. Person proceeds to inform me that the absolute premier property in the area does accommodate the exact request.
Ok, if you already know the premier property (a hotel) caters to what you specifically need, why are you calling a place that cannot accommodate that specific requirement? Just to inform me the premier property does xyz?
Our website is clear we cannot accommodate this specific request.

BTW, the lunacy continues. Phone call asking if we can accommodate a guest coming in when we are closed. And needing childcare during the day. And staying for a month. I explain we're closed and recommend another 2 places to call.
I do not mention hotels because person called a B&B. Oh stupid me. Person proceeds to inform me that the absolute premier property in the area does accommodate the exact request.
Ok, if you already know the premier property (a hotel) caters to what you specifically need, why are you calling a place that cannot accommodate that specific requirement? Just to inform me the premier property does xyz?
Our website is clear we cannot accommodate this specific request..
I wonder what goes on in their minds, then again I really don't want to know.
cry_smile.gif

cry_smile.gif

Probably hoping to get a better price...

cry_smile.gif

Harborfields said:
Gomez figured it was to guilt is into saying of course we can do that for you! (Watch the kid.) Because really, the premier place in town is not doing that for free, if they even will do it.

cry_smile.gif

Ha, ha. Just did reverse look up on the phone number on the caller ID. In town number. Really cheap hotel. Must have been a prank.

Back