Marketing budget

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joey~ I used to travel a lot and started staying at B&Bs because I got tired of nasty hotels. I don't need to chat with the owner or learn their life stories, but it's nice to have someone recommend a restaurant (who has actually eaten there) or give directions instead of a high school girl look at you like you have three heads when you ask how to get to XYZ.
Hotels have gotten nicer and more comfortable over the years, the mattresses have improved and I really like the choice of pillows now. (I used to keep a favorite in my car for that very reason.)
Morticia ~ I haven't decided on renaming it yet. Current owner has the domain name, but that is in my offer that I get it. The home was built in 1880 and you know we like to name our property here in the South, but the current name has no historical significance. With her extremely low return rate, I see no reason to keep it other than it's listed on several sites and the sign is on the house. There's no particular 'goodwill' attached to the business, but there's nothing BAD either. I'm thinking it might cost more to change it than just leave it. It's on the historical register which brings its own set of rules and regs. The worst part is that it's an awful blue color, takes an act of congress to change the color and it's know to locals as "that blue one on the river."
~~g

Joey~ I used to travel a lot and started staying at B&Bs because I got tired of nasty hotels. I don't need to chat with the owner or learn their life stories, but it's nice to have someone recommend a restaurant (who has actually eaten there) or give directions instead of a high school girl look at you like you have three heads when you ask how to get to XYZ.
Hotels have gotten nicer and more comfortable over the years, the mattresses have improved and I really like the choice of pillows now. (I used to keep a favorite in my car for that very reason.)
Morticia ~ I haven't decided on renaming it yet. Current owner has the domain name, but that is in my offer that I get it. The home was built in 1880 and you know we like to name our property here in the South, but the current name has no historical significance. With her extremely low return rate, I see no reason to keep it other than it's listed on several sites and the sign is on the house. There's no particular 'goodwill' attached to the business, but there's nothing BAD either. I'm thinking it might cost more to change it than just leave it. It's on the historical register which brings its own set of rules and regs. The worst part is that it's an awful blue color, takes an act of congress to change the color and it's know to locals as "that blue one on the river."
~~g.
You can always start out with some nice non-logo'd individual amenities through a place like Big Order Savings, which won't cost you a lot of outlay and then do more research and decide how to put your "stamp" on things.
I would look at what comparable hotels and B&Bs in your area offer in the way of amenities and then decide how you'll carve your own niche.
Also once you figure out what your biggest demographic is for travelers, that will help you to determine where to put your money in your rooms.

one thing people havnt mentioned is fridge magnets. we have some with the years's calendar I got from Vista on one of their special offers (if you havnt worked with them they do a special offer about every 10 minutes so you just wait for the one you want) and I have seen them on the fridges of all the people I have given them to. Think I may do a set for this year. hmmm

I would also suggest a balance in the things you order till you get settled ie if you are going to renew a brochure don't order a thousand as you may decide to change something and them they are out of date. The printer will reduce the price per volume but brochures nowadays it is very rare to give one away. The previous owners here must have had 5000 done cos we were still giving them away 3 years later! and we gave them to anyone with a hand! I order them in 25's now and I don't have to store them. (chucked about 1000 at least of the old ones away) Also definately have business cards done and always have one handy (ie small box in your hand bag) this is a very cheap way of advertising and works well there is nothing worce than saying oh ill just write it down and scrabbling in a bag for ratty bit of paper and a pen. So my advice is to start NEVER be lured into 1000's of anything and ask for samples of everything! it is a good way of getting free stuff to start.

Thank you all, my tp challenge has been solved. I will be getting stickers with my logo. (Actually, I don't even have a logo, but working on that too.) The shampoo project has been given to my daughter. (She's a poor college kid, I told her I'd pay her to do it.)
So, do I understand that some of you don't provide bath accessories? Should I just do bath and hand soap? My budget will be tight, but I want to invest in the right items to make my place special.
I'm just thinking out loud while I wait on the bank, can't really do anything concrete right now. The plan is to get my promo stuff organized, order in quantity and let it ride. The business class of our local high school prints note pads, so I can keep that local and help them out. ~~g
Gingerbread Latte said:
Thank you all, my tp challenge has been solved. I will be getting stickers with my logo. (Actually, I don't even have a logo, but working on that too.) The shampoo project has been given to my daughter. (She's a poor college kid, I told her I'd pay her to do it.)
So, do I understand that some of you don't provide bath accessories? Should I just do bath and hand soap? My budget will be tight, but I want to invest in the right items to make my place special.
I'm just thinking out loud while I wait on the bank, can't really do anything concrete right now. The plan is to get my promo stuff organized, order in quantity and let it ride. The business class of our local high school prints note pads, so I can keep that local and help them out. ~~g
If your budget is tight, then don't splurge. Soap and Shampoo. The soaps from Greenwich Bay are very reasonable and personalized. If you need a "logo" someone I know will draw your house from a photo (or you may even be able to use an online program) and those look really pretty on my soaps and other amenities. Learn as you grow and then expand .. I still have myriads of scops / toothbrush sets that I put in the hallway in an "emergency" drawer. No one ever used them. Buy one or two "sets" at Target and keep if people ask, don't buy bulk on unneccessary items

Check RESOURCES - my DH does pen & ink renderings from photos and since he was in the printing industry knows sizing. I use my logo filling the bib of an apron and shrunk down to use on my biz card - and it looks good in both sizes.
He has a degree in Fine Art.

Gingerbread Latte said:
We are in wine country and with only two rooms don't have a lot to spend until we get our other wing up. We put in pump soap and lotion sets from World Market (the tea line) in the rooms and guests often ask where to purchase them. They sell the plain bottles to refill the sets so I like them.
For shampoo since we are "green" designated I don't use the small plastic bottles. As we are wine country we purchase the spa size pump bottles of TheraVine shampoo and conditioner which are based on wine oils. They are used in spas in New York, and people are fine with it and they work well here. We wipe them every room flip and keep them filled.
For soap we used to purchase lovely olive oil based Italian soaps and people did not use them. So we went to Greenwich and put our logo on the box and they are being used. They are very affordable.
RIki

Thanks for the advice. I'm so used to marketing (and in the thousands) my mind immediately runs to that. BUT... it wasn't my money and I wasn't really concerned with a budget. (Government job ~ typical, huh?)
My main concern with bath accessories is the perception of cleanliness. I was thinking logos on small bottles b/c they take them home. A fridge magnet will last a lot longer than the bottle, so I'm going with pumps.
I'm a destination town, so my advertising will be the net and specialty publications. I'll put something at the local airport, but B&Bs don't really advertise to anyone in town. I don't think I need brochures, I'll work on postcard size info to give away, mail, etc.
One more soap question ~ have you found any types that are harder/easier on your plumbing? I will have 6 bathrooms all heading the same direction.

Thanks for the advice. I'm so used to marketing (and in the thousands) my mind immediately runs to that. BUT... it wasn't my money and I wasn't really concerned with a budget. (Government job ~ typical, huh?)
My main concern with bath accessories is the perception of cleanliness. I was thinking logos on small bottles b/c they take them home. A fridge magnet will last a lot longer than the bottle, so I'm going with pumps.
I'm a destination town, so my advertising will be the net and specialty publications. I'll put something at the local airport, but B&Bs don't really advertise to anyone in town. I don't think I need brochures, I'll work on postcard size info to give away, mail, etc.
One more soap question ~ have you found any types that are harder/easier on your plumbing? I will have 6 bathrooms all heading the same direction..
Gingerbread Latte said:
You can always add a POLL here and get feedback in bulk. :)
example - in 7 years I can say that guests RARELY EVER AT ALL take the indiv soaps/shampoos with them. That is my experience. Back to my handmade soap story, what I thought and what actually happened were two different scenarios. So just a warning about spending $ upfront when it may change later on.

One more soap question ~ have you found any types that are harder/easier on your plumbing? I will have 6 bathrooms all heading the same direction..
Gingerbread Latte said:
One more soap question ~ have you found any types that are harder/easier on your plumbing? I will have 6 bathrooms all heading the same direction.
I don't know about easier on pipes, but I get the logo-wrapper soap from Greenwich Bay in unscented oatmeal. No perfumey smells and easy on sensitive skin makes it a good choice that both men and women use, and it's good for face or bath (I put two of the 1 oz. bars in each bath).

We also use the shampoo soap bar from GB with our logo - Our guests like them and the leftovers I keep to take to a local shelter. They are wrapped in paper and printed in soy-based ink. we've made bookmarks with an embossed logo on it - I like JB's bookmarks - they are colorful and has all inn info (her postcards are great, too!) Love the idea about the back-scratcher - where do you find those, K?
great ideas on this thread!

actually I use the scented from GB (Wildflower) which 99% of my guests love, those 1% are "allergy" issues and I find they travel with their own stuff. As mentioned I personally don't like the shampoo/soap bars as I like a creamy shampoo but each to his own and you need to find what works for you. I also have the larger 3 pack boxed set in my gift shop in the same perfume. I had a guest of mine just tell me last week that they "found" the soaps they had bought and the scent reminded them of their stay
Ask GB to send you some samples of each scent, USE them , have others use them and see what you like

I can definitely do large bottles of pump shampoo in the bathroom. I certainly wouldn't mind using that after someone else. As far as the pens go, I would put the URL on them and they would be for taking home.
I have read so many stories about people loving the B&B, but not being able to remember the name. We go to Destin for a couple of weeks every year (guess that will be coming to an end now) and I seriously couldn't tell you which condo we were at last summer.
Now that I'm going from user to provider, all of sudden that's important. Haha
~~g.
I think remembering a beach condo is a different scenario than remembering a B&B. You probably had no or relatively little hospitality service at the beach condo in Destin, right? It's kinda apples to oranges...
Re: people taking, leaving, and/or using bath amenities - Some people are like my dh, he will use & take everything in the way of individual bath amenities and doesn't care a twit about fragrance, type, style, logo, etc. He uses it while he's there & just grabs all that stuff because he figures he's paid for it and will use it sooner or later. I will use amenities that are better quality, non-allergen, or that I just like the brand. I might take it to remind me of the product OR the B&B. If I don't use it during my stay, it's because I packed my own stuff as a backup because I'm not sure if I'll have an allergy/sensitivity to what's in the room. This is the reason that I don't use anything in dispensers without the product content clearly labeled.
I did discover for our guests that they liked having antibacterial pump soap at the sink (we used various Bath & Body Works) and when we went to Gilchrist & Soames hotel amenities (a better known brand) that we went through more bath soap. A lot of folks do bring their own shampoo/conditioner I think because there are so many options out there & people get hooked on their own "product". Overall, business travelers tended to use all the bath amenities more.
I had all kinds of other amenities available & people commented on how I went the extra mile in that area. Guests didn't really clean us out either.
Just depends on what you want to do in your market.

I can definitely do large bottles of pump shampoo in the bathroom. I certainly wouldn't mind using that after someone else. As far as the pens go, I would put the URL on them and they would be for taking home.
I have read so many stories about people loving the B&B, but not being able to remember the name. We go to Destin for a couple of weeks every year (guess that will be coming to an end now) and I seriously couldn't tell you which condo we were at last summer.
~~g.
I think remembering a beach condo is a different scenario than remembering a B&B. You probably had no or relatively little hospitality service at the beach condo in Destin, right? It's kinda apples to oranges...
Re: people taking, leaving, and/or using bath amenities - Some people are like my dh, he will use & take everything in the way of individual bath amenities and doesn't care a twit about fragrance, type, style, logo, etc. He uses it while he's there & just grabs all that stuff because he figures he's paid for it and will use it sooner or later. I will use amenities that are better quality, non-allergen, or that I just like the brand. I might take it to remind me of the product OR the B&B. If I don't use it during my stay, it's because I packed my own stuff as a backup because I'm not sure if I'll have an allergy/sensitivity to what's in the room. This is the reason that I don't use anything in dispensers without the product content clearly labeled.
I did discover for our guests that they liked having antibacterial pump soap at the sink (we used various Bath & Body Works) and when we went to Gilchrist & Soames hotel amenities (a better known brand) that we went through more bath soap. A lot of folks do bring their own shampoo/conditioner I think because there are so many options out there & people get hooked on their own "product". Overall, business travelers tended to use all the bath amenities more.
I had all kinds of other amenities available & people commented on how I went the extra mile in that area. Guests didn't really clean us out either.
I always bring home the stuff from Disney World b/c it just makes me HAPPY to look at it ~ would't dare use it once I got home.
regular_smile.gif
I never bring home anything from Holiday Inn, but I do use it when I'm there.
My inexperience is making me obsess on return guests or them telling friends that MY B&B is the best one in town and a must-stay!
I want to provide as many luxuries as I can afford, but probably should spend my energy on getting them to book in the first place. Fancy soap won't impress anyone if they aren't staying with me.

~~g.
I always bring home the stuff from Disney World b/c it just makes me HAPPY to look at it ~ would't dare use it once I got home.
regular_smile.gif
My inexperience is making me obsess on return guests or them telling friends that MY B&B is the best one in town and a must-stay!
I want to provide as many luxuries as I can afford, but probably should spend my energy on getting them to book in the first place. Fancy soap won't impress anyone if they aren't staying with me.
Gingerbread Latte said:
Yes, true that you do have to get them in the door first! What makes them come back, first and foremost, is the way you make them feel when they are at your place. You could have $20 in stuff in the rooms and grouse at them when they ask a question. You can make gorgeous breakfasts and serve them with a permanent frown.
You've got to know your market before you buy a single thing. You've got to then, to quote my mother about men, decide if you want to keep doing what you've set up at the start for the rest of your life. (This started off with me telling her I brought my brand new husband coffee in bed. She gave me a look and asked how long did I intend to keep that up? If not forever, then stop right now.)
If you start at the very top, how to you back off when you realize no one wants to pay for that? If you start out gently, you can get a sense for what your market wants and then crank up the volume.

We also use the shampoo soap bar from GB with our logo - Our guests like them and the leftovers I keep to take to a local shelter. They are wrapped in paper and printed in soy-based ink. we've made bookmarks with an embossed logo on it - I like JB's bookmarks - they are colorful and has all inn info (her postcards are great, too!) Love the idea about the back-scratcher - where do you find those, K?
great ideas on this thread!.
http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/processRequest.do?demandPrefix=12&sku=27/1083&mode=Searching&erec=1&D=back+scratcher&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&Ntk=all&requestURI=processProductsCatalog&N=0&Ntt=back+scratcher&Dx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&sd=Mini+Back+Scratchers
I print my phrase 5 per label on 2x4 (5263 mailing labels) and cut them apart with a paper cutter I bought at the craft store (has guide and the cutter slides up & down the guide) to get straight cuts. Affixing the lavbels is tedious - be prepared. But they are popular because they are USEFUL!

~~g.
regular_smile.gif
Gingerbread Latte said:
Yes, true that you do have to get them in the door first! What makes them come back, first and foremost, is the way you make them feel when they are at your place. You could have $20 in stuff in the rooms and grouse at them when they ask a question. You can make gorgeous breakfasts and serve them with a permanent frown.
You've got to know your market before you buy a single thing. You've got to then, to quote my mother about men, decide if you want to keep doing what you've set up at the start for the rest of your life. (This started off with me telling her I brought my brand new husband coffee in bed. She gave me a look and asked how long did I intend to keep that up? If not forever, then stop right now.)
If you start at the very top, how to you back off when you realize no one wants to pay for that? If you start out gently, you can get a sense for what your market wants and then crank up the volume.
Very sound advice, Alibi!

~~g.
regular_smile.gif
Gingerbread Latte said:
Great advice, Alibi, about how it's easier to crank up the amenities rather than to dial them back!!

Gingerbread Latte said:
I don't know about easier on pipes, but I get the logo-wrapper soap from Greenwich Bay in unscented oatmeal. No perfumey smells and easy on sensitive skin makes it a good choice that both men and women use, and it's good for face or bath (I put two of the 1 oz. bars in each bath).
muirford said:
Does your soap leave little particles of oatmeal in the tub? I gave up on G&S oatmeal because it did and made it harder for me to clean the bathrooms.

Gingerbread Latte said:
muirford said:
Does your soap leave little particles of oatmeal in the tub? I gave up on G&S oatmeal because it did and made it harder for me to clean the bathrooms.
Innkeep said:
Since we have housekeepers, I rarely clean the tubs personally but I haven't had that complaint from them, and I don't notice it when I use one of the bars myself. If you want to try a few out, I can send you some, or you could probably ask Greenwich Bay for some samples. They usually have samples at the trade show but this year they were keeping them close to the vest, with only the lip balm as samples :-(

Back