Men !!!!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my favorite Kate Hepburn quotes:
Sometimes I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then..
Alibi Ike said:
Sometimes I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then.
I love that quote and would do it if it were possible! Don't get me wrong, I love DH, but one of the toughest things since being an innkeeper is not having any alone time. We both do the inn full time together so our schedules went from hardly ever seeing each other to hardly ever being alone! Oh well, it's just my life of extremes
teeth_smile.gif

DH & I have spent more together time (awake that is) than we should have since 1979. He was laid-off and i worked nights. Got a reprieve for a few years when he went to art school but by the time he went back to work, I was on day shift too. For the last 16 years I have only had a few Conferences for "alone" time if you can call that alone. One of these days they will peel me off the wall of my padded cell.....

Sometimes I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then..
Alibi Ike said:
Sometimes I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then.
Robert Parker (the recently deceased author, not the wine guy) and his wife Joan did that - they owned a triple decker in Boston - one had the bottom apartment, one had the top floor apartment, and they shared the space in the middle. It would work for a lot of couples, I bet.
Diego Rivera & Freida Kahlo also had apartments in Mexico City with a glass walkway adjoining them. Of course, they certainly did not have a traditional marriage, especially for the time. When I saw their apartments, which was WAY before I got married, I thought it was the perfect setup!

Alibi Ike said:
I love that quote and would do it if it were possible! Don't get me wrong, I love DH, but one of the toughest things since being an innkeeper is not having any alone time. We both do the inn full time together so our schedules went from hardly ever seeing each other to hardly ever being alone! Oh well, it's just my life of extremes
teeth_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
Alibi Ike said:
teeth_smile.gif
While waiting for our guests to leave, I convinced the spousal unit to go to a museum exhibit. I was explaining to the guests why he wasn't around and she totally understood and agreed whole-heartedly that we all need alone time.

Alibi Ike said:
Robert Parker (the recently deceased author, not the wine guy) and his wife Joan did that - they owned a triple decker in Boston - one had the bottom apartment, one had the top floor apartment, and they shared the space in the middle. It would work for a lot of couples, I bet.
muirford said:
Alibi Ike said:
It would work for me but not the other half.

Alibi Ike said:
teeth_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
Alibi Ike said:
teeth_smile.gif
We also went from 'ships that pass in the night' to seeing each other every waking moment. Really, something's gotta give!

I am always amazed at the number of women who can't fix the simplest of things. My folks wanted all of us to be independent (I'm the only girl & the youngest).
A friend of mine in MD had a husband who would hire people to HANG PICTURES! I am not kidding! He didn't know how & couldn't be bothered to learn.
My "adopted" mother here likes to use butterknives instead of a proper screwdriver.
whattha.gif
She does own several screwdrivers, too.
It's interesting to live in the Deep South....women are not expected to know anything about these things...still. It is actually considered to be un-feminine.
I get glared at a lot when I mow the yard...
devil_smile.gif
These days I have to be careful to not bruise an ego. Dh is having a harder time doing things and it is not easy to realize you cannot do what you could even 6 months ago. Fortunately he is not STUPID about it - it is the little things like dropping things and gripping things that gets to him the most. No longer taking out the garbage did NOT upset him. DANG!!!
Yes, most men have fragile egos (apologies to any guys on the forum that this doesn't apply to) when it comes to grounding them.
There are a couple of maintenance items that I've put the kaboosh on for my own dh - like climbing up on the roof with the leaf blower to clear it off and climbing up to the big roof on the main part of our house. The roofer who is coming tomorrow to re-roof our house could not believe that my dh has climbed up there on numerous occasions. I love my dh and don't want him falling & cracking his head open now that he's not as limber as he once was.
When DH was in rehab after his 6-way, there was an old guy who was REALLY messed up. The guy had broken a LOT of bones. DH asked him what happened. He was fixing the roof and fell off. DH looked at him and said (as only another old man can do) what the hell is wrong with you? why didn't you hire someone to fix the roof that knows what they are doing. we are too old to be climbing on roofs!
DH is sensible about the big things - it is the every day things that are really hard for him.
I can't even imagine your husband thinking of climbing up on a roof!!
My dh will go up on the one to one & a half story roofs (and so do I as a matter of fact) but the main part of the house is now off limits.

I am always amazed at the number of women who can't fix the simplest of things. My folks wanted all of us to be independent (I'm the only girl & the youngest).
A friend of mine in MD had a husband who would hire people to HANG PICTURES! I am not kidding! He didn't know how & couldn't be bothered to learn.
My "adopted" mother here likes to use butterknives instead of a proper screwdriver.
whattha.gif
It's interesting to live in the Deep South....women are not expected to know anything about these things...still. It is actually considered to be un-feminine.
devil_smile.gif
I kind of feel bad I wrote my OP. DH really is a trooper but I just get so MAD over comments like "that's the 3rd time I've had to fix the sink" when attempt #1 ended with me fixing his "attempt", #2 went off without a hitch and #3 ... well you know about that one.
"women are not expected to know anything about these things...still. It is actually considered to be un-feminine". "I get glared at a lot when I mow the yard".
There's one side of DH that loves the fact I can "do" stuff and another side of him that just wants to take care of all that stuff for me. Mowing the lawn is the perfect example. We have a two acre field to mow. It's right in front of the house and needs to be kept presentable. That is DH's THING. But when he's not here all summer I have to do it - and I LOVE it. I'm on the tractor, can't hear the phones, it's calming and very satisfying cos you have immediate results.
My dh doesn't mind it a bit when I do outside stuff...he is not a fan of "nature". haha! It is the Southerners around here that give me the stink eye when I'm working outside. Ladies here "garden" which translates to hiring people to do all of the work and then cutting flowers for vases on occasion.
wink_smile.gif

He kind of didn't like it when I figured out what the problem was with the washing machine recently, but he was grateful because it turned out to be a really simple fix.
regular_smile.gif

whattha.gif
devil_smile.gif
These days I have to be careful to not bruise an ego. Dh is having a harder time doing things and it is not easy to realize you cannot do what you could even 6 months ago. Fortunately he is not STUPID about it - it is the little things like dropping things and gripping things that gets to him the most. No longer taking out the garbage did NOT upset him. DANG!!!
Yes, most men have fragile egos (apologies to any guys on the forum that this doesn't apply to) when it comes to grounding them.
There are a couple of maintenance items that I've put the kaboosh on for my own dh - like climbing up on the roof with the leaf blower to clear it off and climbing up to the big roof on the main part of our house. The roofer who is coming tomorrow to re-roof our house could not believe that my dh has climbed up there on numerous occasions. I love my dh and don't want him falling & cracking his head open now that he's not as limber as he once was.
When DH was in rehab after his 6-way, there was an old guy who was REALLY messed up. The guy had broken a LOT of bones. DH asked him what happened. He was fixing the roof and fell off. DH looked at him and said (as only another old man can do) what the hell is wrong with you? why didn't you hire someone to fix the roof that knows what they are doing. we are too old to be climbing on roofs!
DH is sensible about the big things - it is the every day things that are really hard for him.
I can't even imagine your husband thinking of climbing up on a roof!!
My dh will go up on the one to one & a half story roofs (and so do I as a matter of fact) but the main part of the house is now off limits.
My DH does not did not go about the second rung on a ladder - he does not like height, probably because the polio screwed up his balance. (Now he does not go above floor level.) He was all but telling the guy who fell off a roof that he was an idiot to have been up on the roof at his age. The old guy had already indicated he was not a pauper. DH said, "That is what you hire young guys to do. We are too old to be climbing on roofs."

The very best part of the innkeeping gig for us is being together...it would be very hard to go back to separate 9 to 5 jobs for us.

Alibi Ike said:
muirford said:
Alibi Ike said:
It would work for me but not the other half.
Last summer working on the lodge, I would yell and look for DH and go up the back stairs, he would yell and come down the front! We would never find each other!
smileystooges.gif

The very best part of the innkeeping gig for us is being together...it would be very hard to go back to separate 9 to 5 jobs for us..
Don Draper said:
The very best part of the innkeeping gig for us is being together...it would be very hard to go back to separate 9 to 5 jobs for us.
Don, your signature comment belies the romance in your soul!
heart.gif
Ditto for me and DH, but I can see how it could wear on people.

The very best part of the innkeeping gig for us is being together...it would be very hard to go back to separate 9 to 5 jobs for us..
I can't wait to have a separate job again in the profession that I hold a degree in, or something in a related field. I'm getting ready to go back to school to get a Master's degree. Have the paperwork to apply for the Fall.
Having a business together was not a good plan for us, even after a lot of years of marriage...

O.K., to be fair, this thread should have been called DW!!!!!!! Meaning YOUR man.
Some of us aren't quite so tool and task challenged.

O.K., to be fair, this thread should have been called DW!!!!!!! Meaning YOUR man.
Some of us aren't quite so tool and task challenged..
Hey !!!! Who ever said I was fair
teeth_smile.gif
(actually I'm a red-head) If I was being fair I would say that I adore my DH but I can have a short fuse.
embaressed_smile.gif
When I moan it's generally because I'm being grumpy and should preface everything with a 'mea culpa".

Back