"misleading" TA review

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they complained about lack of information on our website about our parking situation (funny it would matter to them b/c they flew into town and took a shuttle from the airport!) AND complained b/c he booked the reservation at our "winter rate" (funny, we don't have seasonal rate changes...) but were charged our "summer rate" (funny, they were here in June...isn't that summer anyway?) - Actually, when he booked the reservation, it was for two weekday nights (Tue/Wed), which he then called a week before their stay to say he'd made a mistake and was off by two days on their arrival so I "must change the rez to Thur/Fri" (well, lucky him...we just had a cancellation which opened a room for them!), THEN they were a no-show on Thur, no response when I called... They showed up FRIDAY and acted like nothing wrong...
Thank you for your 4-start review. We apologize for being confused by your title of the review - Misleading. Although we do not have seasonal rates, we do have weekday and weekend rates. I am sorry, but a Thursday/Friday reservation, especially when it becomes a Friday/Saturday on arrival does have aweekend rateas opposed to the original reservation for Tuesday/Wednesday which are weekdays. Since you indicated arrival was to be by airport shuttle we probably neglected to mention our parking, for this oversight we sincerely apologize. Thank you very the positve review and the lovely comments in the comment book..
gillumhouse said:
they complained about lack of information on our website about our parking situation (funny it would matter to them b/c they flew into town and took a shuttle from the airport!) AND complained b/c he booked the reservation at our "winter rate" (funny, we don't have seasonal rate changes...) but were charged our "summer rate" (funny, they were here in June...isn't that summer anyway?) - Actually, when he booked the reservation, it was for two weekday nights (Tue/Wed), which he then called a week before their stay to say he'd made a mistake and was off by two days on their arrival so I "must change the rez to Thur/Fri" (well, lucky him...we just had a cancellation which opened a room for them!), THEN they were a no-show on Thur, no response when I called... They showed up FRIDAY and acted like nothing wrong...
Thank you for your 4-start review. We apologize for being confused by your title of the review - Misleading. Although we do not have seasonal rates, we do have weekday and weekend rates. I am sorry, but a Thursday/Friday reservation, especially when it becomes a Friday/Saturday on arrival does have aweekend rateas opposed to the original reservation for Tuesday/Wednesday which are weekdays. Since you indicated arrival was to be by airport shuttle we probably neglected to mention our parking, for this oversight we sincerely apologize. Thank you very the positve review and the lovely comments in the comment book.
Sorry K., TMI

A reader might find it too general , like an autoreply; how about:
"Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn and for your favorably rating. We have updated our website to better reflect the parking situation and to make our rates more clear.".
Bommelhoeve said:
"Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn and for your favorably rating. We have updated our website to better reflect the parking situation and to make our rates more clear."
Yes I agree. I was not giving my "reply" specifically, but just a sample of a short sweet caring response. "We are sorry you found our prices too high, your comments are taken to heart..." etc and thank them for their review.
I understand that the review rating is OK, 4/5 stars are not bad. But with a title "misleading" everyone will scrutinese the parking and rates system and look for misleading info. I think you must address that upfront and say so. (sorry, even if everything on the website is fine, make it more clear to show you listen and hsve addressed the comments)
people who don't read anything are easily misled as they simply make it up in their heads. I have this problem with my single rooms with private bathrooms - I put this info every where and in great detail but very few read it they just make it up in their head that it "must be ensuite"
Interesting, CHH....If I'm reading you correctly, "private bathroom" does not mean in the room? I can literally say I would not have understood this if I read "private bathroom". And honestly, I might feel I was misled if I came and found out I have to leave my room for the private bathroom. I'd probably feel both that I was a dunce for not understanding, and ALSO that you were sly and didn't spell it out for me. Just sayin'.
I guess what I'm saying is that, as a prospective guest, I'd appreciate it being spelled out.

"Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn and for your favorably rating. We have updated our website to better reflect the parking situation and to make our rates more clear.".
Bommelhoeve said:
"Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn and for your favorably rating. We have updated our website to better reflect the parking situation and to make our rates more clear."
Yes I agree. I was not giving my "reply" specifically, but just a sample of a short sweet caring response. "We are sorry you found our prices too high, your comments are taken to heart..." etc and thank them for their review.
I understand that the review rating is OK, 4/5 stars are not bad. But with a title "misleading" everyone will scrutinese the parking and rates system and look for misleading info. I think you must address that upfront and say so. (sorry, even if everything on the website is fine, make it more clear to show you listen and hsve addressed the comments)
people who don't read anything are easily misled as they simply make it up in their heads. I have this problem with my single rooms with private bathrooms - I put this info every where and in great detail but very few read it they just make it up in their head that it "must be ensuite"
Interesting, CHH....If I'm reading you correctly, "private bathroom" does not mean in the room? I can literally say I would not have understood this if I read "private bathroom". And honestly, I might feel I was misled if I came and found out I have to leave my room for the private bathroom. I'd probably feel both that I was a dunce for not understanding, and ALSO that you were sly and didn't spell it out for me. Just sayin'.
I guess what I'm saying is that, as a prospective guest, I'd appreciate it being spelled out.
A private bathroom is a bathroom that only one room uses. An ensuite ("in the suite" in French) bathroom means that the bathroom is connected to the room.

Bommelhoeve said:
InnBloom said:
Absolutely correct. NO guest reads 'private bathroom' and does not think 'en suite'. Heck, no guests reads my 'private bathroom across the hall' and does not read it as 'shared with 20 other guests'. I absolutely clarify that for callers and it is in the confirmation, on the website, on the availability calendar. It's everywhere and we still have guests show up who 'didn't know they had to share a bathroom'.
I had a guest walk into their own room today, look around, walk back out and see the bathroom in the hall and say, 'So I guess we're sharing the bathroom with these other rooms!' No, you dope, LOOK in your room, there is YOUR bathroom. People see what they want. So you have to be very clear. I even have a floor plan on the website that shows where the rooms are and there is the bath down the hall with the room name on it and I still get from the other rooms, 'So we share a bath?'

Bommelhoeve said:
A private bathroom is a bathroom that only one room uses. An ensuite ("in the suite" in French) bathroom means that the bathroom is connected to the room.
Yes, I don't think I would assume that private meant en-suite. Most people have no clue what "en suite" even means, we purposefully took that wording off the website. On our detached bath room we put in the description that we provide robes so you don't have to take up room in your suitcase.

Bommelhoeve said:
on book .com - Private external bathroom
laterooms - private bathroom this is a bathroom used only but your room but is not in the room.
I do my best to make it clear but I can't make them read. Was discussing on another forum a BB near them that 4 rooms share one bathroom and they deliberately don't tell anyone so end up booking people out to her as they refuse to stay.

Bommelhoeve said:
MY GOSH! just been proved wrong just had a booking for one at the weekend and he actually knew it was a private bathroom but wanted to know if there was a sink in the room (to be 4 star rated in rooms with private bathroom you have to have a sink in the room) and he just wanted to check in case he wanted a glass of water in the night!! He is getting a chocolate bar! a guest that actually reads Ill have to have him stuffed!

Bommelhoeve said:
Yes, I don't think I would assume that private meant en-suite. Most people have no clue what "en suite" even means, we purposefully took that wording off the website. On our detached bath room we put in the description that we provide robes so you don't have to take up room in your suitcase.
Don Draper said:
Yes, to the whole thing. Except I left 'en suite' in the wording so guests can learn a new word. ;)

Bommelhoeve said:
MY GOSH! just been proved wrong just had a booking for one at the weekend and he actually knew it was a private bathroom but wanted to know if there was a sink in the room (to be 4 star rated in rooms with private bathroom you have to have a sink in the room) and he just wanted to check in case he wanted a glass of water in the night!! He is getting a chocolate bar! a guest that actually reads Ill have to have him stuffed!
a guest that actually reads Ill have to have him stuffed!
NO, don't have him stuffed! He needs to go out into the world, be fruitful and multiply!!!

Bommelhoeve said:
And how do you know that he wants to be "stuffed". My mind... I have to wash it out with soap.

Bommelhoeve said:
a guest that actually reads Ill have to have him stuffed!
NO, don't have him stuffed! He needs to go out into the world, be fruitful and multiply!!!
he's not as clever as I thought rang back 10 mins after to check he had a toilet in his private bathroom! oh well he did better than most!

Bommelhoeve said:
Don Draper said:
See now, THAT'S clear. "Detached" and the thing about the robes. Now as a booker I actually know what I'm paying for.

Back