Missed phone calls

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTLLodge

Reaction score
If you missed a phone call, but they did not leave a message, would you call them back? (You can see their number because you have caller ID)

I have an answering sevice get most of my calls(work outside the B&B also) then they screen them and pass on possible guest to my cell. It is $75.00 a month but worth it as I am not always home.Started their service in 2004 and when I retire to only the B&B I plan on keeping them...Mary in Bridgewater

I only call back if it's a call to my cell. Sometimes I can't get it out in time. But I only call back within ten minutes of the call.
RIki

I will if they call when I'm on the phone so it's an immediate callback. But only after I check the phone number to make sure it's not a telemarketer. Most people are happily surprised.

I had caller ID years ago and got so many out of area and unidentified that I dropped it. I was not getting what I was paying for. I do return missed calls on my cell phone whenever I get it because I may have been out of cell for as much as several hours. That is how I got the young lady who is going to be paying my real estate taxes - I returned her call. And we are both happy I did.

I had caller ID years ago and got so many out of area and unidentified that I dropped it. I was not getting what I was paying for. I do return missed calls on my cell phone whenever I get it because I may have been out of cell for as much as several hours. That is how I got the young lady who is going to be paying my real estate taxes - I returned her call. And we are both happy I did..
For a guest to pay our real estate taxes, they would have to stay here a very loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time!
wow.gif

I had caller ID years ago and got so many out of area and unidentified that I dropped it. I was not getting what I was paying for. I do return missed calls on my cell phone whenever I get it because I may have been out of cell for as much as several hours. That is how I got the young lady who is going to be paying my real estate taxes - I returned her call. And we are both happy I did..
For a guest to pay our real estate taxes, they would have to stay here a very loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time!
wow.gif

That is what I like about my State - the cost of living is reasonable. For most of you my real estate taxes would be a joke, for those living here, it is comparable to yours for your area. Also much of what is done or happens here is done by volunteers. Our Fire Department is volunteer, all our Boards (except Santitary Board which State mandates be paid) are volunteer. Until a couple years ago the City paid 100% of employee insurance but now employees contribute some, the Police get take-home cars that augments their salaries (distance limit in place).
I do get nicked with Personal Property Tax on everything used in the B & B and I get to pay the City Business & Occupation Tax @ 50 cents on every $100 gross revenue. But all in all, I will keep my taxes and let you folks keep yours.

wow.gif

That is what I like about my State - the cost of living is reasonable. For most of you my real estate taxes would be a joke, for those living here, it is comparable to yours for your area. Also much of what is done or happens here is done by volunteers. Our Fire Department is volunteer, all our Boards (except Santitary Board which State mandates be paid) are volunteer. Until a couple years ago the City paid 100% of employee insurance but now employees contribute some, the Police get take-home cars that augments their salaries (distance limit in place).
I do get nicked with Personal Property Tax on everything used in the B & B and I get to pay the City Business & Occupation Tax @ 50 cents on every $100 gross revenue. But all in all, I will keep my taxes and let you folks keep yours.
You are indeed very fortunate about your taxes. But the flip side are the resources available in larger towns and cities.
I pay those same taxes here for a business but probably at a higher rate.
Most all of our Boards are also volunteer and we are a city of 200K. That is common in many places. Our City Councilors are paid a pittance.

If they can't be bothered to leave a message, I don't call back ... unless it is a number I know (family friends ...).

I didn't and don't.
Very irksome to me is when I'd have my hands full, someone would leave a message and I'd be able to hear them doing it. Could hear them saying they wanted to book a room for such and such a night. I'd finish up or stop what I was doing ... get my hands out of the bread batter and wash up or finish folding a monster size sheet and I'd call back within a few minutes and be told 'We booked someplace else rather than wait for you to call back.' Seriously? It would be like under 5 minutes and they'd already called another place and booked there?

I do if it's right away.
Someone did that to me this week... I'd called to get a piano tuner, the lady who answered sounded unprofessional, and I'd just left a message for another piano tuner, and I thought I had another call, so I just hung up. The husband called back right away, came promptly to tune my piano (unlike the other guy who never called back), and was wonderful.
So yeah, I do, and I've gotten reservations that way.
=)
Kk.

I didn't and don't.
Very irksome to me is when I'd have my hands full, someone would leave a message and I'd be able to hear them doing it. Could hear them saying they wanted to book a room for such and such a night. I'd finish up or stop what I was doing ... get my hands out of the bread batter and wash up or finish folding a monster size sheet and I'd call back within a few minutes and be told 'We booked someplace else rather than wait for you to call back.' Seriously? It would be like under 5 minutes and they'd already called another place and booked there?.
seashanty said:
I didn't and don't.
Very irksome to me is when I'd have my hands full, someone would leave a message and I'd be able to hear them doing it. Could hear them saying they wanted to book a room for such and such a night. I'd finish up or stop what I was doing ... get my hands out of the bread batter and wash up or finish folding a monster size sheet and I'd call back within a few minutes and be told 'We booked someplace else rather than wait for you to call back.' Seriously? It would be like under 5 minutes and they'd already called another place and booked there?
Around here? Yes. They had a list in front of them and went down the list until they got someone on the phone. For some reason, we don't seem to get our messages 'right away.' I'll pick up the phone 2 days after a message was left and the phone is beeping to indicate a message. I have called every one of them back just to let them know they weren't being ignored and most had booked somewhere else right after they left the message.

I do if it's right away.
Someone did that to me this week... I'd called to get a piano tuner, the lady who answered sounded unprofessional, and I'd just left a message for another piano tuner, and I thought I had another call, so I just hung up. The husband called back right away, came promptly to tune my piano (unlike the other guy who never called back), and was wonderful.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
I do if it's right away.
=)
Kk.
KK - what do you say when you call back?

I do if it's right away.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
I do if it's right away.
=)
Kk.
I also return the calls. I say "hi, this is Breakfast Diva from xyz b&b, I think I just missed your call?"
It has resulted in many reservations.

I do if it's right away.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
I do if it's right away.
=)
Kk.
I also return the calls. I say "hi, this is Breakfast Diva from xyz b&b, I think I just missed your call?"
Breakfast Diva said:
Yup, that's pretty much what I say (minus the 'Breakfast Diva' part!)

I often call back and I get business out of 50% of those call backs. I simply say, I see someone called from your number.
If it is meant to be a surprise, they usually leave a message to the effect.
regular_smile.gif

But they didn't ask you to call them back. I don't get why you call them if they didn't leave a message?
I was looking at some of those unique cards online and just to figure out s&h I had to put them in my cart, I then had an email asking me why I abandoned my cart?

Back