Mob mentality

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are learning with every guest. We have not had our website translated into Spanish .. yet. All the extra small costs items like the irons and ironing boards are having to wait. We have invested every single penny that we had in investments and savings into this place. We do have those on our list though of future purchases.
I wish for a large pot of money to land upon us so we can finish all the outstanding details. But the lesson of accepting kids has hit us hard.
We too are hoping for no recommendations from this family. Am still wondering about the worthy or not review... kind of hoping that does not come forth either. We wanted to be able to welcome every one, but the cost of having this family this weekend was not worth it..
YOu see, the problem is.... I am not talking over the top amenities....people expect these types of things as "standard" in a B & B. You should not have to let people borrow your personal items such as an iron and ironing board :-(
If your money is that tight that you can't afford to buy an extra iron and ironing board..hang on tight....you are sure to have some unexpected issues arise which will need addressed. what wil you do if you don't have the money say to buy a new water heater?????
Best of luck to you.
We also do not offer irons and ironing boards in guests rooms, that's all we need, the house burning down! Fire code = Sorry, no irons...
It only has to be your fire code, you know!
wink_smile.gif

They get into drunken stupors, can't read, return keys, close doors, respect your space, keep their children out of your space, and all the other things we complain about on this forum, and you're going to trust them with a fire hazard ???
Willowpondgj said:
We also do not offer irons and ironing boards in guests rooms, that's all we need, the house burning down! Fire code = Sorry, no irons...
wink_smile.gif

They get into drunken stupors, can't read, return keys, close doors, respect your space, keep their children out of your space, and all the other things we complain about on this forum, and you're going to trust them with a fire hazard ???
There is nothing worse than a drunken neat freak! I hate it when they iron at 2am after a binger.
we had irons and ironing boards in all rooms and never in 7 years did I have anyone leave one on.:) It is something I expect to find when I travel.
catlady said:
we had irons and ironing boards in all rooms and never in 7 years did I have anyone leave one on.:) It is something I expect to find when I travel.
Of COURSE, I'm the one with the ironing story...we DO have an iron & ironing board hanging at the end of the hallway for anyone to use. Just not enough space in each room for one. One guest borrowed the iron only and left it on the slate floor in their room. Bottom of iron looked like they ironed dirt. Couldn't clean it. Otherwise, no problems.

We are learning with every guest. We have not had our website translated into Spanish .. yet. All the extra small costs items like the irons and ironing boards are having to wait. We have invested every single penny that we had in investments and savings into this place. We do have those on our list though of future purchases.
I wish for a large pot of money to land upon us so we can finish all the outstanding details. But the lesson of accepting kids has hit us hard.
We too are hoping for no recommendations from this family. Am still wondering about the worthy or not review... kind of hoping that does not come forth either. We wanted to be able to welcome every one, but the cost of having this family this weekend was not worth it..
YOu see, the problem is.... I am not talking over the top amenities....people expect these types of things as "standard" in a B & B. You should not have to let people borrow your personal items such as an iron and ironing board :-(
If your money is that tight that you can't afford to buy an extra iron and ironing board..hang on tight....you are sure to have some unexpected issues arise which will need addressed. what wil you do if you don't have the money say to buy a new water heater?????
Best of luck to you.
wink_smile.gif

My guest iron has an automatic shut-off.
ETA: Should have read the hundred other similar responses before I posted mine. Sorry - not meaning to pile on.

New water heaters are in ... everything is new which may have lead to the problem in the first place. We are keeping the bit extra that we have so we can also enjoy a bit. We have a small reserve, but want to build it up a bit.
It isn't that we mind lending the iron and board out, as the guests use it in our area ... or even mind helping out by doing the pressing. It was the attitude. He was looking for our maid. It is a class thing. No one else has ever had that attitude with us before. I am thinking it was just this family.
We may add a board and iron in the social area, but am sure we will still have guests looking for the house maid..
i have one guest iron, 2 ironing boards and a steamer ... the steamer has been most popular. the iron sits on a metal tray to protect other surfaces, hopefully. guests are sometimes good about sharing ... sometimes not ... they leave the iron in their room and i have to go retrieve it for the next guest. if i was setting up shop right now, i'd invest in more steamers and maybe more irons! definitely the ones that shut off automatically and i saw some that shut off if they stay flat for a certain length of time.
i understand what you mean about the shopping list. when i first opened three years ago, folks would say they were picking up this or that for their b&b and i was worrying how to pay the electric bill. you'll get there!

New water heaters are in ... everything is new which may have lead to the problem in the first place. We are keeping the bit extra that we have so we can also enjoy a bit. We have a small reserve, but want to build it up a bit.
It isn't that we mind lending the iron and board out, as the guests use it in our area ... or even mind helping out by doing the pressing. It was the attitude. He was looking for our maid. It is a class thing. No one else has ever had that attitude with us before. I am thinking it was just this family.
We may add a board and iron in the social area, but am sure we will still have guests looking for the house maid..
i have one guest iron, 2 ironing boards and a steamer ... the steamer has been most popular. the iron sits on a metal tray to protect other surfaces, hopefully. guests are sometimes good about sharing ... sometimes not ... they leave the iron in their room and i have to go retrieve it for the next guest. if i was setting up shop right now, i'd invest in more steamers and maybe more irons! definitely the ones that shut off automatically and i saw some that shut off if they stay flat for a certain length of time.
i understand what you mean about the shopping list. when i first opened three years ago, folks would say they were picking up this or that for their b&b and i was worrying how to pay the electric bill. you'll get there!
Thank you. It is expensive to buy electic items here. When we are ready we will have someone buy them in the US or Canada and bring them down. We do have an extra ironing board.
Every thing is on the list priority wise, and we have had so little call for irons so far, twice in 6 months so they are near the bottom. Most of our guests are in t-shirts, shorts, traveling gear ... asking for plastic bags to pack wet swim suits. The irons will be purchased ... as well as everything else.
I appreciate you saying you didn't get every thing the first year. I was feeling bad we hadn't put irons and boards in the rooms. We are making things work as they are for us for right now.

Best of luck to you.
Location and clientele play a big role in the necessity of an iron. We have an iron and ironing board specifically for guests that we will cart out for a guest (no real place to store in each room). We've had it out maybe 6 times in 6 years. No issues with it so far. Usually it is used by people who are here for a wedding. Other than weddings, the area is very casual. Even the fine dining restaurants are pretty casual when it comes to dress.
On a separate note, I have to travel to Albany twice a year and make a presentation to 100 or so people. I always end up ironing my clothes at the hotel where they put me up (probably the only time I use an iron). The hotel always has an iron and ironing board in the room. Probably 70% of the time either the iron surface is scorched or the ironing board is burned so guests somewhere along the line had an issue with too much heat for too long a period of time. I wouldn't describe irons and ironing boards as completely risk free.

Thank you. It is expensive to buy electic items here. When we are ready we will have someone buy them in the US or Canada and bring them down. We do have an extra ironing board.
Every thing is on the list priority wise, and we have had so little call for irons so far, twice in 6 months so they are near the bottom. Most of our guests are in t-shirts, shorts, traveling gear ... asking for plastic bags to pack wet swim suits. The irons will be purchased ... as well as everything else.
I appreciate you saying you didn't get every thing the first year. I was feeling bad we hadn't put irons and boards in the rooms. We are making things work as they are for us for right now.
We didn't have the ironing board/iron readily available to guests until this past year. Before that, they asked to borrow the one I had in the basement.
Oddly enough, the guest I checked in yesterday wanted to know where the iron was immediately and said she wouldn't have booked without it. Am I happy about that? The jury is still out...

Here too! I have an iron and board in 3 of the rooms, I switch em around all the time. This guest checked in and wanted an iron immediately for a meeting today.
Not all business guests travel with dry cleaned clothes, some have the suit and iron the extra shirts.

please don't feel bad. i have stayed at places that provided a bar of soap, a towel, a face cloth and a plastic cup ... in addition to the bed and pillow of course.
you start with the BASICS and go from there.
a smile and a willingness to be helpful goes a long way toward building guest satisfaction and loyalty.
i have several repeaters and boosters (guests who refer others to me) and it is all tied in to being made to feel welcome because this is what they tell me. 'so and so said you are nice'. i want guests to enjoy their stay but i can't provide every possible amenity.
do what you can, as you can.
when you have a couple dollars (literally) check out yard sales for things like irons and ironing boards. i just missed buying five irons -- all new, in boxes with warranties -- wedding gifts that were duplicates -- they sold each one for $1 as it was the end of the yard sale and they were closing up. really wish i'd got there about 2 minutes earlier!

Best of luck to you.
Location and clientele play a big role in the necessity of an iron. We have an iron and ironing board specifically for guests that we will cart out for a guest (no real place to store in each room). We've had it out maybe 6 times in 6 years. No issues with it so far. Usually it is used by people who are here for a wedding. Other than weddings, the area is very casual. Even the fine dining restaurants are pretty casual when it comes to dress.
On a separate note, I have to travel to Albany twice a year and make a presentation to 100 or so people. I always end up ironing my clothes at the hotel where they put me up (probably the only time I use an iron). The hotel always has an iron and ironing board in the room. Probably 70% of the time either the iron surface is scorched or the ironing board is burned so guests somewhere along the line had an issue with too much heat for too long a period of time. I wouldn't describe irons and ironing boards as completely risk free.
swirt said:
Location and clientele play a big role in the necessity of an iron.
So true! On vacation on Mexico it would be the last thing on my mind!
Here we get a LOT of travelers for specific events (reunions, weddings, meetings) and therefore the irons get plenty of use. They're one of the few things I bought new (but only cause I didn't find them at yard sales!).
=)
Kk.

Good point about the steamer. I have one & a guest who was here for a special event requested it - chiffon dress.

We have a looooooooooooooooong list still. We put the things in the rooms that we thought guests were used to having at the other B&Bs and also our closest hotel, which is really our biggest competition for all of us. You'll get there...you HAVE to set priorties when $$ is going out like a river.

i understand what you mean about the shopping list. when i first opened three years ago, folks would say they were picking up this or that for their b&b and i was worrying how to pay the electric bill.
Been there. Almost still am. Because I am so small, I just tell them to bring down what needs pressed. I do not have room for iron & ironing board in each room Yes, could go in closets BUY when the board is up? Only one room could handle that. Have done pressing perhaps 4 times in 12 + years.

Back