My first customer dispute

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My father in law has been gone for a few years and I would still not feel comfortable asking to see/get a copy of the death cert., BUT if we were talking about a expensive cruise or vacation then I would make husband get one!
wink_smile.gif

My father in law has been gone for a few years and I would still not feel comfortable asking to see/get a copy of the death cert., BUT if we were talking about a expensive cruise or vacation then I would make husband get one!
wink_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
wink_smile.gif
This is what you give - I am not recommending you give this info to anyone, btw, if you are out the cash you are out the cash. You give the inquiring party the name of the deceased and the funeral home name and director and they call and verify. I had to do this for bereavement flights across the country. I had to do this to spend only $500 x 4 versus $2000 x 4 to go to the funeral. It was still completely unaffordable, but that was the only airline to give a bereavement fare.

Asking for the death certificate is not a new thing and it is done often. A lot of the Cruise Ship companies will ask for a death certificate if someone needs to cancel. They have strict policies and don't give deposits back but if they have a death certificate they will..
I think the airlines have a special discount (off full price of course so not usually even a discount) that they will give you if you show a death certificate. Unless it's changed.
Riki
The last I heard they did away with that.

each has to decide how far they are willing to bend their policies when it comes to deposits and refunds and complaints.
for me, keeping the administrative fee is not worth the aggravation and complaints by the cancelling guest demanding a refund.
remember we used to hear, the customer is always right? we all know, the customer is NOT always right ... but that is how i try to work out these things. i am sorry i apparently did not explain our policy clearly to you .... i am sorry you did not understand ... i am sorry the administrative fee is necessary to cover the bank service charges etc.
however, i would not argue with a guest ... once it turned into a 'she said/i said' i would likely refund and move on.
i have to say that once you have argued, even if you refund, they still may have negative feelings, want to warn others about you, or tell others what they had to do to 'win', might post a bad review. if that happens, right away post a calm explanation in the innkeeper comments and hope it gets buried quickly by positive reviews.

As SS said we must say we are sorry. Unfortunately the apology that we can only say MENTALLY is: I am sorry you are an idiot who cannot read.
Ask yourself this - how big an ulcer is it worth?

Asking for the death certificate is not a new thing and it is done often. A lot of the Cruise Ship companies will ask for a death certificate if someone needs to cancel. They have strict policies and don't give deposits back but if they have a death certificate they will..
oceans said:
Asking for the death certificate is not a new thing and it is done often. A lot of the Cruise Ship companies will ask for a death certificate if someone needs to cancel. They have strict policies and don't give deposits back but if they have a death certificate they will.
Several years ago, DH & I were called about my father's death the night before we boarded ship.... fortunately, we took out the traveler's insurance and received a full refund. We did have to produce the death certificate which we got via the funeral director. It even covered our car rental expenses to get back home. The cost of the insurance was nominal and so worth it.

oceans said:
Asking for the death certificate is not a new thing and it is done often. A lot of the Cruise Ship companies will ask for a death certificate if someone needs to cancel. They have strict policies and don't give deposits back but if they have a death certificate they will.
Several years ago, DH & I were called about my father's death the night before we boarded ship.... fortunately, we took out the traveler's insurance and received a full refund. We did have to produce the death certificate which we got via the funeral director. It even covered our car rental expenses to get back home. The cost of the insurance was nominal and so worth it.
I would never travel on any type of "planned" vacation/ cruise / abroad without taking out travel insurance these days. You just never know. It is worth the extra hundred or two.

I had a problem this year with a guest who booked online and our reservations system and website state that a $20 per reserved night deposit will be taken. This is non-refundable if the guest cancels. She even checked the box that she agreed to the policies. Well an email came through a few weeks later and she wanted to cancel and said she understood she would not receive her deposit back so I didn't think it was a big deal. Then the next thing I saw was a horrible review on Tripadvisor with one star. It didn't make much sense to me how she could say one thing in the email and go and do another thing online to broadcast to everyone. Well I was devastated to get this review so we called her at home and agreed to refund her $20 and she took off the review. In that instance I don't think it was worth it to keep her deposit with that bad review. Tripadvisor has been one of our number 1 ways to advertise for free and it brings us a lot of guests. I haven't had problems otherwise with the deposit and a lot of people have cancelled. We charge this deposit because it takes a lot time to process the reservation and paperwork and get everything in line. Sometimes I am on the phone for 20 minutes with a guest explaining things. Charging the deposit also weeds out the people who are not serious about staying here and making a reservation..
oceans said:
We charge this deposit because it takes a lot time to process the reservation and paperwork and get everything in line. Sometimes I am on the phone for 20 minutes with a guest explaining things. Charging the deposit also weeds out the people who are not serious about staying here and making a reservation.
People don't understand it takes time, not just one click of a button like the big hotel chains. Either that or they all work for free.....
Also now guests can blackmail us with TA ???/ What's next ?I thought TA would only post with guests actually had stayed at that place ?
I don't know if they have to stay there or not, but I've seen some HORRIBLE reviews on some nice properties, hotel-wise. Ladies of the evening hanging out, etc. Sounded very sleezy when it was a very nice place. It was that way with two of the hotels we stayed at on our recent trip. No foundation whatsoever for the reviews.

I had a problem this year with a guest who booked online and our reservations system and website state that a $20 per reserved night deposit will be taken. This is non-refundable if the guest cancels. She even checked the box that she agreed to the policies. Well an email came through a few weeks later and she wanted to cancel and said she understood she would not receive her deposit back so I didn't think it was a big deal. Then the next thing I saw was a horrible review on Tripadvisor with one star. It didn't make much sense to me how she could say one thing in the email and go and do another thing online to broadcast to everyone. Well I was devastated to get this review so we called her at home and agreed to refund her $20 and she took off the review. In that instance I don't think it was worth it to keep her deposit with that bad review. Tripadvisor has been one of our number 1 ways to advertise for free and it brings us a lot of guests. I haven't had problems otherwise with the deposit and a lot of people have cancelled. We charge this deposit because it takes a lot time to process the reservation and paperwork and get everything in line. Sometimes I am on the phone for 20 minutes with a guest explaining things. Charging the deposit also weeds out the people who are not serious about staying here and making a reservation..
oceans said:
We charge this deposit because it takes a lot time to process the reservation and paperwork and get everything in line. Sometimes I am on the phone for 20 minutes with a guest explaining things. Charging the deposit also weeds out the people who are not serious about staying here and making a reservation.
People don't understand it takes time, not just one click of a button like the big hotel chains. Either that or they all work for free.....
Also now guests can blackmail us with TA ???/ What's next ?I thought TA would only post with guests actually had stayed at that place ?
I don't know if they have to stay there or not, but I've seen some HORRIBLE reviews on some nice properties, hotel-wise. Ladies of the evening hanging out, etc. Sounded very sleezy when it was a very nice place. It was that way with two of the hotels we stayed at on our recent trip. No foundation whatsoever for the reviews.
Well, gee, everyone has to make a living.......

What's interesting about this whole thing with the cc chargebacks is that I just got a notice from my cc that says I can only fight something I bought IN my own state or within 100 miles of where I live. How are guests getting their money back with cc policies like that?

When I was on a vacation a few years ago I had to cut it short and cancel 2 B&B's at the last minute (1 was the say day of reservation). My father in law passed away during our trip so I had to get home. One said they were sorry and not to worry and the other said they were sorry but I had to pay a 1 night stay as it was their policy....never offered to give me a gift certificate or anything and I was a B&B virgin so I never thought to ask. They charged my card and I paid it, but as much as I would LOVE to stay at this B&B if I'm ever in the town again, I will not. I'm sure you guys hear lots of things people say to get out of a reservation, but sometimes it's true
regular_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
When I was on a vacation a few years ago I had to cut it short and cancel 2 B&B's at the last minute (1 was the say day of reservation). My father in law passed away during our trip so I had to get home. One said they were sorry and not to worry and the other said they were sorry but I had to pay a 1 night stay as it was their policy....never offered to give me a gift certificate or anything and I was a B&B virgin so I never thought to ask. They charged my card and I paid it, but as much as I would LOVE to stay at this B&B if I'm ever in the town again, I will not. I'm sure you guys hear lots of things people say to get out of a reservation, but sometimes it's true
regular_smile.gif
I try to work with people and do offer GC's for future stays.
I too have to say that many do use all sorts of excuses to get out of an reservation, even the death of a Family member, thus B&B's ( and all other companies who take deposits ) like to stick to their policies. How am I to know the guest is speaking the truth? So, if I offer them a GC it usually saves face both ways :)
I keep seeing the term, "gift certificate." Aren't they good forever in certain states? I issue a credit if a guest cancels without appropriate notice.

regular_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
regular_smile.gif
I too have to say that many do use all sorts of excuses to get out of an reservation, even the death of a Family member, thus B&B's ( and all other companies who take deposits ) like to stick to their policies. How am I to know the guest is speaking the truth? So, if I offer them a GC it usually saves face both ways :)
I keep seeing the term, "gift certificate." Aren't they good forever in certain states? I issue a credit if a guest cancels without appropriate notice.
remnjava said:
Good point. They are good forever here where I am. So issuing a credit toward a future stay (to be used by...) would be a better way to phrase it.

regular_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
regular_smile.gif
remnjava said:
Good point. They are good forever here where I am. So issuing a credit toward a future stay (to be used by...) would be a better way to phrase it.
Yeah, I'd rather not keep track of it forever, and then turn the cash over to the state after 3 years.

regular_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
regular_smile.gif
remnjava said:
My GC's expire after 1 year if I am the one issuing it for donations, give a ways or a good faith credit for a cancellation.
if someone pays actual money for the GC's, they should be good forever

regular_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
regular_smile.gif
remnjava said:
My GC's expire after 1 year if I am the one issuing it for donations, give a ways or a good faith credit for a cancellation.
if someone pays actual money for the GC's, they should be good forever
I donated a GC for a charity event. Someone bought it who didn't even know what it was. He asked how long it was good for, and what a bnb even WAS! Too much money burning a hole in his hand, I guess. I suspect he was underage and I never heard from him again.

regular_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
regular_smile.gif
remnjava said:
We make our gift certificates good forever but the value is "protected against rate increases for one year".
This way when we sell we will be able to put a value on them.
If someone shows up 5 years down the road they will pay the rate increase.
Riki

Back