My Turn for the POOR Trip Advisor Review

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know you want to post a long response - you want to get all your points across. whatever you do, just make sure that first paragraph says what you really want prospective guests to read, straight away, because those first lines are what people will see.
also, i recommend not using ALL CAPS. maybe you can bold that text about the gift cards or bold and underline ....
No bolding on ta. You can use caps but ta tells you not to.
I'd suggest putting that in a separate paragraph.
The other thing I've noticed with ALL of my responses lately is that all the paragraphs are erased. It's one big block of text. No formatting at all. I put paragraphs in to be sure, but they get formatted out by ta.
I'm not sure why that doesn't happen on everyone's replies but it does on mine.

i know you want to post a long response - you want to get all your points across. whatever you do, just make sure that first paragraph says what you really want prospective guests to read, straight away, because those first lines are what people will see.
also, i recommend not using ALL CAPS. maybe you can bold that text about the gift cards or bold and underline ....
The other thing I've noticed with ALL of my responses lately is that all the paragraphs are erased. It's one big block of text. No formatting at all. I put paragraphs in to be sure, but they get formatted out by ta.
Madeleine said:
you can do this to be extra sure it doesn't happen
i do this on another place
that tries to delete my formatting (and turns it into a giant paragraph)

Madeleine said:
you can do this to be extra sure it doesn't happen
i do this on another place
that tries to delete my formatting (and turns it into a giant paragraph)
Thanks! That's a great suggestion!

I'm sorry this happened to you.
Regardless of whether or not you pare down your response, I encourage you to revisit the paragraph about your dog. I'm a dog person so I understand what you're saying but some people might read it as an out-of-control (untrained) dog has free run of the inn. I realize that's not the case but it's best to be succinct and clear on the point.
Perhaps something along the lines of "I'm sorry our dog disturbed you. Even though he's hypoallergenic, small and friendly, we don't allow him into guest rooms, though some guests would like to invite him in."

I think the non ability to use a gift card has really sent the reviewer into a zone of negativity.
I am of the opinion to not write a detailed response. Id rather suggest your response be more generically that it is unfortunate that their stay did not meet expectations. You need to merely say that your Inn does not accept gift cards. I would thank the reviewer for pointing out any positives about that particular room and add some more yourself that others find good about it. This way this room is not seen in bad light. I would also address the dog situation as has been suggested.
Its heartbreaking when this happens but tomorrow is another day and a chance to be with happier guests.

I think the non ability to use a gift card has really sent the reviewer into a zone of negativity.
I am of the opinion to not write a detailed response. Id rather suggest your response be more generically that it is unfortunate that their stay did not meet expectations. You need to merely say that your Inn does not accept gift cards. I would thank the reviewer for pointing out any positives about that particular room and add some more yourself that others find good about it. This way this room is not seen in bad light. I would also address the dog situation as has been suggested.
Its heartbreaking when this happens but tomorrow is another day and a chance to be with happier guests..
The gift certificate situation is a real pain. We've had guests show up with them in hand and get very upset when we went accept them.
I had one woman say, "why else would I stay in this place if it wasn't going to be free?"
Guests argue on the phone with us, cancel their reservations, it's ugly.

I could, but her review was lengthy in itself and very pointed. I have posted other lengthy management responses and am often told by guests that use TA that they chose us because we took the time to and cared enough to respond to a bad review instead of just a simple standard brush-off. AND they enjoy reading our responses in the entirety..
Have to echo Maddie here. Saw the length first thing then put off reading till much later. Too much detail. Likely will only be read by nitpickers.
Agree with those who say you are not writing for the reviewer, but to sell to people who haven't met you yet. It is clear you strive for a good guest experience. Let that be the impression, rather than a blow by blow.

i want to throw this into the mix
if you go to the bed and breakfast dot com website you can easily get confused
you can start a search with places that welcome gift cards
OR
check out over to the right on the search page and click on popular destinations - if i click on your town, maddie, your inn is right there. and i can click through to your website. so even though i'm not seeing that you accept those gift cards, i can see how guests are being misled by that website because there is no big headline saying you don't. just a little logo on the places that do that says 'gift'. they're making assumptions. they got to your place via the bed and breakfast dot com website, you must be mistaken that your place doesn't take the cards. voila - angry guests.
i'm assuming this is all set up this way deliberately on the part of the gift card website to push you into enrolling.
that's my guess.

OR
check out over to the right on the search page and click on popular destinations - if i click on your town, maddie, your inn is right there. and i can click through to your website. so even though i'm not seeing that you accept those gift cards, i can see how guests are being misled by that website because there is no big headline saying you don't. just a little logo on the places that do that says 'gift'. they're making assumptions. they got to your place via the bed and breakfast dot com website, you must be mistaken that your place doesn't take the cards. voila - angry guests.
i'm assuming this is all set up this way deliberately on the part of the gift card website to push you into enrolling.
that's my guess..
It is true, but she claims that she made the reservation on the phone with me and I told her it was OK to secure the room with her Visa and she would redeem her gift card upon arrival. No way. Even when we did accept them, I took the number of the Gift card and redeemed it for the deposit ahead a time.

I could, but her review was lengthy in itself and very pointed. I have posted other lengthy management responses and am often told by guests that use TA that they chose us because we took the time to and cared enough to respond to a bad review instead of just a simple standard brush-off. AND they enjoy reading our responses in the entirety..
Have to echo Maddie here. Saw the length first thing then put off reading till much later. Too much detail. Likely will only be read by nitpickers.
Agree with those who say you are not writing for the reviewer, but to sell to people who haven't met you yet. It is clear you strive for a good guest experience. Let that be the impression, rather than a blow by blow.
Anon Inn said:
Right answer.

momma - that's awful .... i'm just thinking about all the arguments maddie and others are getting and why.

I read this post this morning, now I am looking at it again. I get where your emotions are - we had a similar poor review from a woman who was trying to leave without paying, skipping breakfast, claiming someone else was supposed to have pre-paid; she complained that we weren't dog friendly (she didn't want to pay the pet fee so she kept her two large dogs in her truck overnight).
But looking at what you wrote from the prospective guest side of the equation, I think your response comes off as a little creepy too over the top. I suggest stick to one or two key points that a prospective guest will immediately realize sets your negative reviewer apart from them, making the negative review irrelevant.
What is the real origin of the complaint? The gift certificate confusion. Say it and drop it. Everybody knows that when some one goes off for some reason, they will bring up all sorts of trivial b*tchy complaints. Definitely skip the bit about your friendly dog and badly trained guests. Skip the "I befriended this needy woman and she turned on me". Don't dignify the trivia with a response. It was a money mix up and you did your professional best and that was that.

OR
that's my guess..
seashanty said:
OR
that's my guess.
Yes, it's very misleading to the guest! The cards are supposed to come with instructions that tell the guest how to find which B&B's accept the cards but, WHO READS??? I explain it to them. Guests are also told they HAVE to tell the inn they are using them when they make the rez but, WHO READS???

Just a note for anybody seeking some anonymity: Posting the review here, and using her actual user name, sure makes it easy to find the review on TA, and it sure makes it easy for her to find the Innspiring website and read all this.
In fact, I Googled a few words from the review, along with her username, and this Innspiring page came up first, and the review on TA came up second! Google works fast!

I REALLY wish you would go into your original post and remove the actual name of the complainer. By leaving it there, you are a bigger threat to ALL of us than any bad review could be. Please, Folks, when posting things think of the fact this is NOT a "closed door session".. Why do you think we put spaces, dashes, etc in words that might logically be used to Go-o something? It protect our innmates. That is why so many INCLUDING YOU MOMMA are anon. I am open because I would never remember who/what I was supposed to be so it is easier to just be me. PLEASE make that change - if possible other places in the thread where it appears also.
I will say this and then shut up - diatribes do not win friends in ANY situation.

Just a note for anybody seeking some anonymity: Posting the review here, and using her actual user name, sure makes it easy to find the review on TA, and it sure makes it easy for her to find the Innspiring website and read all this.
In fact, I Googled a few words from the review, along with her username, and this Innspiring page came up first, and the review on TA came up second! Google works fast!.
oh, yikes, its there. I googled as well now that I was curious. Saw everything leading to the in n fo rum. Thanks for the important heads up.

In fact, I Googled a few words from the review, along with her username, and this Innspiring page came up first, and the review on TA came up second! Google works fast!.
oh, yikes, its there. I googled as well now that I was curious. Saw everything leading to the in n fo rum. Thanks for the important heads up.

Sorry this happened Smurfs.
You already know my response, you said it in the first line.
Don't fight fire with fire. If you clarify we have never accepted B&B GC's then say it, and say we are sorry the guest was "Disappointed"
As human beings we have a need to set wrongs right. We are hurt by rotten reviews (personally and financially). Yes they do impact us, so how we respond makes all the difference.
May I ask a favor? May I ask that you read your entire response out-loud verbally say every word from start to finish and see if you feel this is the best method. It sounds like you are correcting her and fighting a battle with a guest, I don't think that is your intention. She is well traveled, she has a lot of contributions. If it were me, I would step back and think about it a bit more..
Thanks JB. Am not posting this today, will let it set after more feedback here. Poppa has read it and likes it and does not think we are correcting at all. Simply stating the truth. Again, I strongly believe that is our mission. I really don't feel at all bad about this review, in fact, shared it with all our guests at the breakfast table yesterday, who thought it was ridiculous. Even though she has tons of contributions, this was unwarranted and maybe she'll think twice the next time she considers giving someone a Poor rating. We have tons of great reviews, so I feel that our side has as equal weight and value.
Of course, you have more than equal weight and value. We know that.
It is still her opinion, and you can't change that, she won't care if you write a response, and I know you are hoping it will be for future guests to read. She was obv mad and went to town on you, that is what it sounds like when you read it (her review).
oh, and I forgot, we suddenly got a 4 night cancellation for that exact room last night... we've been lucky this year with hardly any cancels, so I do feel the necessity to set the record straight. It is affecting our business.

I'm sorry this happened to you.
Regardless of whether or not you pare down your response, I encourage you to revisit the paragraph about your dog. I'm a dog person so I understand what you're saying but some people might read it as an out-of-control (untrained) dog has free run of the inn. I realize that's not the case but it's best to be succinct and clear on the point.
Perhaps something along the lines of "I'm sorry our dog disturbed you. Even though he's hypoallergenic, small and friendly, we don't allow him into guest rooms, though some guests would like to invite him in.".
Thanks Happy Jacks. Our problem is no matter what we do or tell guests, almost everyone adores our dog and they keep letting him into their rooms. We've even had them fighting with each other over who gets him. Seriously.

Back