Need help deciding

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it me or are there a lot of newbies this week? As a full time crazy woman I love my work but then I have a full time chamber maid who works 7 days a week who helps me as well as my parents to sit in for free if I want a night off. The people who get burn out the fastest are the ones who don't realise how much work it is and think it is like being a hotel owner and you spend you time doing a bit of breakfast and swanning about. It isn't it is 24/7 365 days a year and you have to wear a million different hats every day. It is about learning to delegate and training and retaining good staff to help even if it is part time. If you don't mind me asking how many rooms?
If it comforts you any I have been in the hotel/B&B biz for 20 years and still love it but I always say to people thinking of getting into the biz it will be the hardest work you will ever do but it will also be the best laugh you ever have as well..
thanks. The place we're negotiating for has 10 rooms, all with private baths and the current owners run it themselves, and we plan to as well. But, I know they have busier times and slower times. They're open all year and get some ski business, and some business from business travelers. They're busiest months are Aug. and Oct. Lots of vacationers in Aug. and leaf-peeping in Oct.
What I don't understand is why is it 24/7 365 days/year if there is only a 30% occupancy rate. I would think there would be "downtime" from playing hostess...not that there isn't always work to do, but we always find that there is work to do i the house we live in...so how is it different?
It is 24/7 for 365 because during the "down time" we are still working on the house improving it, you are still trying for guests and even in the down time will get a few here and there - especially if you have something in planning stages, you are always working on marketing.
It is 24/7 when you have guests - and you cannot predict WHEN you will have guests, just when you will not. To do that, you block the rooms on your online reservations and tell callers, "I am sorry but we are booked for those dates" - you are, you are booked IN somewhere!
We really are not trying to discourage, just trying to give you the facts so you go in with eyes wide open and a true understanding of what an innkeeper is. It does no good for the industry to have "rose-colored glasses" become unhappy and have guests because they HAVE to make the mortgage, etc but now really hate what they do. That will taint the impression of what a B & B is - a place of wonderful hospitality nd comfort and FOOD that is fantastic!
I only have 3 rooms and trust me, a 4th would kill me. If there are 10 rooms - do NOT go in to this thinking you can do it all. Go in to it with the knowledge that you will either be sending out the laundry or having housekeeping help. That size - in my not very humble opinion, you will burn out quickly trying to do it all yourselves.
We are magicians - our knock their socks off trick is making what we do appear effortless to the guests.

We're off baking muffins and sipping lemonade...Let's see you can do all the restorative work when you have a houseful of guests, so THAT is what you do off-season should you have one.
You need to do more homework. You are the one with cold feet, we are the ones with the blisters. You asked seasoned innkeepers for info and you got it, but not the answers you wanted. It is the same same with the rose colored glasses, it is hard work, no it is not FUN. We make it look like fun to our guests because THEY ARE THE ONES ON VACATION, NOT US.
We don't need to make it look like fun on a forum for innkeepers, this is where the rubber hits the road, this is where we share guest stories and other innside innformation. :)

Is it me or are there a lot of newbies this week? As a full time crazy woman I love my work but then I have a full time chamber maid who works 7 days a week who helps me as well as my parents to sit in for free if I want a night off. The people who get burn out the fastest are the ones who don't realise how much work it is and think it is like being a hotel owner and you spend you time doing a bit of breakfast and swanning about. It isn't it is 24/7 365 days a year and you have to wear a million different hats every day. It is about learning to delegate and training and retaining good staff to help even if it is part time. If you don't mind me asking how many rooms?
If it comforts you any I have been in the hotel/B&B biz for 20 years and still love it but I always say to people thinking of getting into the biz it will be the hardest work you will ever do but it will also be the best laugh you ever have as well..
Is it me or are there a lot of newbies this week?
No. It's not you. Each day a different story.
Hmmmmm.

We're off baking muffins and sipping lemonade...Let's see you can do all the restorative work when you have a houseful of guests, so THAT is what you do off-season should you have one.
You need to do more homework. You are the one with cold feet, we are the ones with the blisters. You asked seasoned innkeepers for info and you got it, but not the answers you wanted. It is the same same with the rose colored glasses, it is hard work, no it is not FUN. We make it look like fun to our guests because THEY ARE THE ONES ON VACATION, NOT US.
We don't need to make it look like fun on a forum for innkeepers, this is where the rubber hits the road, this is where we share guest stories and other innside innformation. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
You asked seasoned innkeepers for info and you got it, but not the answers you wanted.
Which is a scenario that just keeps repeating itself with more and more frequency and less and less likelihood that the questions are any more than a means to tap into interesting stories.
Call me a cynic but something's afoot here.

We don't need to make it look like fun on a forum for innkeepers, this is where the rubber hits the road, this is where we share guest stories and other innside innformation. :).
Not trying to start a fight...far from it. I want the answers that you are giving me. I know it's hard work. No rose colore glasses here. We work hard all the time now....but it's a big change and I want information from the people in the trenches. I also have plenty of blisters.
I've heard some people talk about how much they like the work, even though it's hard.
I started asking about people who might have had cold feet and then decided to move forward and if they were sorry they did.
I don't like or dislike the answers. All answers are valid and what I need to hear.
You see very cynical and I'm sorry you don't like what you're doing. No one should hate what they do as much as you seem to.

There is no "out" going in.
Most Innkeepers also do not "BAIL" I actually thought that was a poor term to use, as we slave away day after day after day. We miss weddings, births, our kids band concerts and games AND FUNERALS, fyi. Sheesh I have been working all morning from the crack of dawn today AND my stomach hurts and I don;t feel well, I can't call in sick. Guests are getting ready to head out for the day....
Are you sorry that you bought a B & B? We love restoring and fixing things and we know about that kind of work. And we know how hard it can be to relax when things need to be done.
Isn't the plan to get business? Don't you want people there all the time? And when there is an off season or a few days of no guests, isn't there time to do some relaxing then?
And between when they head out for the day and when they come back or before new guests arrive, there must be time to do some breath-catching.
You don't make it sound like much fun. We do want it to be fun.
We started a B&B from scratch in 2 historic houses with 5 rooms. We loved it. We were open two years. We closed after one of our best months ever. Great connections here for biz. Great corporate line of biz. So why did we close? Was it that I didn't enjoy what I did? No. Did we have "fun" as part of the biz? Yes.
But it is a business. There is always something to do. That is the part of being "on" almost all of the time when you are both the business owner and the principal employee. If you have a "down" season, hopefully you can catch up on visiting your friends and relatives and having plenty of time for you and your spouse. I think it's a tad easier to do that if one of the couple doesn't have another job. After renovating one house and doing a bunch of stuff to a second one and 2 years of constant maintenance (not that we wouldn't have done that anyway, but everything has to be top-notch with guests), I burned out my husband, who will be 66 this year.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
It was a surprise to me. He works full-time plus in another job and he just couldn't help me much anymore. He was tired. I was really tired.
Then, one of my brothers was critically ill. I couldn't go immediately to see him because of the biz. But I did eventually and he's fine now. Whew. Then, I thought of all the things I missed over the 2 years with the biz. Including our son's graduation from graduate school (my dh made it).
So, my lifestyle change prompted another lifestyle change. We still live in the larger one of our houses and have the other one up for rent. We really like this house and our city for the most part.
We've had 2 vacations in the last 3 months. We're going to a wedding out of state next month. I'm visiting our son in August. Another wedding in October. Family get together is planned over the holidays. Life is good.
Would I do the B&B again? Probably, because it was a dream of mine. Was it really that much of a dream for my dh? He thought it was, but no. That's how we learn.
Having shared that with you, ask yourself what kind of life do you really want? Your husband is going to be 60 years old and probably worked hard his entire life. Do you want to work really, really hard hosting other people and showing them hospitality? Can you manage to have the personal life that you want to have with this type of business?
Best of luck.

Joey Bloggs said:
You asked seasoned innkeepers for info and you got it, but not the answers you wanted.
Which is a scenario that just keeps repeating itself with more and more frequency and less and less likelihood that the questions are any more than a means to tap into interesting stories.
I am honestly trying to get help deciding what to do in my own life. Nothing is afoot. We're on the verge of buying a B & B in New Hampshire...been planning to do this for a lot of years. I've done all the research. I know that it's hard work. My husband and I have been working HARD for 34 years...no stranger to it, we thrive on it.
We've never thought it would be all fun and games, but if you like the hard work, then it is fun. We look forward to renovating the bathrooms, doing the marketing, and tapping into all the talents we have.
I was, and am still curious about other B & B owner's experiences from when they decided to buy a place and what when into the decision and whether they now think it was a good or bad decision.
Thanks to all who are helping. I welcome more information.

Not trying to start a fight...far from it. I want the answers that you are giving me. I know it's hard work. No rose colore glasses here. We work hard all the time now....but it's a big change and I want information from the people in the trenches. I also have plenty of blisters.
I've heard some people talk about how much they like the work, even though it's hard.
I started asking about people who might have had cold feet and then decided to move forward and if they were sorry they did.
I don't like or dislike the answers. All answers are valid and what I need to hear.
You see very cynical and I'm sorry you don't like what you're doing. No one should hate what they do as much as you seem to.
eyevea said:
How very rude.
For someone who claims to not be looking for a fight, you sure are swinging away.
JB is a fantastic innkeeper who flips over backwards for her guests every single day. If you could ever hope to be as good as she is at what she does, you'd be one heck of an innkeeper.
However I don't get the feeling that being an innkeeper is really what you're interested in here.

10 rooms you will definately need at least a part time house keeper. If you can get one that you can train to take reservtions etc so that you can leave her or him in charge now and again. As regards occupancy doesn't 30% worry you a little? Yes there will be days with no one in but the phone, email, fax and internet reservations won't stop. Also when I have a few days with less people in I am actually busier as I am running about trying to decorate or change carpets etc. or catch up with marketing. or deep cleaning I am trying currently to find 3 days together with a particular room empty as I want to have the curtains washed and the carpets changed but I am struggling. What you can do when you feel pooped set particular days and close them out Decide that is your day off and that is it! it is easy to take every scrap of business that wafts along but you have to think of your quality of life to. I always say B&B is like a swan all the guest sees is the beautiful swan on top of the water they don't see its legs going like mad on the surface.

Are you talking to me about hating what I do? You are here as a
potty-mouth.gif
stirrer as innkeeper-to-go has so wisely pointed out. You must have somehow missed my first post where i said people are tired. Every heard of that you hard worker you? I guess not.

Joey Bloggs said:
I am honestly trying to get help deciding what to do in my own life. Nothing is afoot. We're on the verge of buying a B & B in New Hampshire...been planning to do this for a lot of years. I've done all the research. I know that it's hard work. My husband and I have been working HARD for 34 years...no stranger to it, we thrive on it.
We've never thought it would be all fun and games, but if you like the hard work, then it is fun. We look forward to renovating the bathrooms, doing the marketing, and tapping into all the talents we have.
I was, and am still curious about other B & B owner's experiences from when they decided to buy a place and what when into the decision and whether they now think it was a good or bad decision.
Thanks to all who are helping. I welcome more information.
Let me put it this way. My DH went into this because I wanted to and he could see no reason not to. He even did the dishes and vac the downstairs. When we started he could still go up the stairs with just the railing (if he does now it is on his butt) and did to do the painting and repairs, etc.
We considered closing once due to the cost of insurance (homeowners was not that much less but would not have the revenue generated to pay it) and at that point DH said, "if we close the B & B I will miss the guests."
I tell my friends - People PAY me to come entertain ME! I enjoy the lives that I touch and who touch mine. I look at it that we were supposed to have this B & B in this location. A guest told US about post-polio syndrome - that explained a LOT to DH about what was happening to him. LAST YEAR we were able to tell a returning guest that no, what was happening to her was NOT all in her head, she had post-polio syndrome. We told her where the post-polio clinic was nearest her. Sure enough, she does have post-polio and they found she also has MS. Coming here lifted the "weight of the world from her shoulders and turned on the light bulb for her husband - things that would have taken a lot longer and made things a lot harder on her if not for the visit to this B & B. THAT is what keeps me chugging - being an economic factor in my City, meeting people I would never have met otherwise, and truly helping people. it is worth the knees that scream every time I go up the stairs. It is worth the appointments with the dreaded ironing board. And DH who was on the fence about this in the beginning enjoys having the inn, even when guests coming means we do not go to the event he had his heart set on going to.
Only you can make the decision do I really want to do this. Life is a crap-shoot. Not everything is going to turn up roses. IF you do this, you have to go into it like a kid thrown into the pool to learn to swim. YOUR attitude will be what determines whether you sink or swim. I had the added incentive of a town full of people who asked, "Who is going to come HERE?" It was a personal challenge to succeed!

potty-mouth.gif
stirrer as innkeeper-to-go has so wisely pointed out. You must have somehow missed my first post where i said people are tired. Every heard of that you hard worker you? I guess not..
You are not feeling well and are tired on top of having the nosy-Parker intruding PITAs. She does not know you and so does not know what a hard-working caring innkeeper you are nor how difficult it is to be an innkeeper of an inn with as many rooms as you have, doing it all yourself while trying to raise a couple of wonderful kids (I have met the kids and they are great!).
We all know that reading things does not always translate to the tone of voice or thought intended.
Newbies and wannabees do need to understand that when we tell the "feet kicking like mad under the water" side we are trying to be helpful - not kvetching or hating what we are doing, just trying to make you understand what you are getting into if you already have doubts. We are trying to save you from being the innkeeper who hates it but has invested the "last penny" and are now stuck.

Ok, everybody just needs to take a deep breath. I just came into this thread and read all the posts. Personally, I don't think eyevea is just trying to stir the pot. She's asking questions that are typical of someone who has done some research, but has not had the hands on experience.
I get this all the time from aspiring innkeepers "And between when they head out for the day and when they come back or before new guests arrive, there must be time to do some breath-catching." Again, it's a question of inexperience. Here's the answer to that question...you've got 10 rooms, let's say that 4 or 5 rooms (heaven forbid all 10) check out and you have new check-ins coming. After cooking and cleaning up in the morning, checking out your guests, making small talk with them and thanking them, making sure they know where they're going next, it's now past 11:00am. It's just you and your husband working the inn...you now have to turn over those 4-5 rooms at approx. 35-45 minutes each, with 2 of you working, it'll take you about 3 hours and oh yeah, you'll get interrupted by your stay over guests asking questions, telephone ringing, guests arriving early, etc.....not to mention, when do you go to the grocery store and shop and do errands that you have to do just to keep your b&b functioning? Hmmm....now it's check-in time, you haven't gone to the store and you need to be relaxed, gracious and hospitable. It's check-in time, you've hurried, hurried, hurried and now you sit there and wait, because your guests are having a great time along the route before they get to you. You've now got this down time where you're waiting, but you're resenting the fact that gosh, if you'd have know they were'nt going to be here right at check-in, you could have left to do your shopping. Nope. You're now in the waiting, holding pattern, listening to every sound outside to see if it's one of your new guests pulling up.
Whew, it's now 6:00pm, hopefully, most of your guests have arrived, but maybe they haven't. Nope, they will arrive when you sit down to eat your dinner! After your dinner which you mostly eat in stages because you've been interrupted, it's probably about 8:00pm and it's time to prep breakfast for the next day, or perhaps you need to bake those wonderful baked items guests expect. You flop into bed at 10:00-11:00 with your muscles tired and your feet aching.
That's the typical scenario for 4-5 rooms with no housekeeping staff....imagine what it's like with 10. In that "off time", you also have to spend time marketing your inn, work on your website, work on your social media campaign and figure out new strategies to get heads in beds. I tend to do this when I'm waiting for guests to arrive.
I've been doing our b&b for 10 years now. I've never worked this hard in my life, but we have no regrets. It was just what we wanted and what I was prepared for. Around year 5 we started our exit strategy because going into this career we gave ourselves a 10 year window. Not because we had to, but as an innkeeper, you need to prepare both yourself and your property years in advance for sale. We haven't listed our place for sale, but we're ready to list when we decide it's time.
A question I have for you is are you satisfied with the 30% occupancy rate? Seems pretty low to me. Will that rate be able to afford the lifestyle you are looking for? If so, then you would definitely be able to block out time for yourselves, especially if you can increase the occupancy during the busier seasons. I know of innkeepers who block off a month at a time during their slow times. No matter what you occupancy rate is, you will need to find time for yourselves. Force yourselves to take time away from the business and leave home/business so you can reconnect with each other. It is impossible to separate your home from business when you live where your work.
This is a dose of reality and it's not ment to be discouraging. It's meant to open your eyes before you make the change. I thought I knew how hard I was going to have to work, but even at that, I had no clue what it took to do a good job at it. As I said, I have no regrets, it has been a great ride for us, but I am getting tired, and I think that's what you're hearing from a lot of the experienced innkeepers here in their responses. They are tired too. Does that mean it was a wrong decision? No, I don't think so.
Keep asking questions. It's the only way you'll learn.

potty-mouth.gif
stirrer as innkeeper-to-go has so wisely pointed out. You must have somehow missed my first post where i said people are tired. Every heard of that you hard worker you? I guess not..
You are not feeling well and are tired on top of having the nosy-Parker intruding PITAs. She does not know you and so does not know what a hard-working caring innkeeper you are nor how difficult it is to be an innkeeper of an inn with as many rooms as you have, doing it all yourself while trying to raise a couple of wonderful kids (I have met the kids and they are great!).
We all know that reading things does not always translate to the tone of voice or thought intended.
Newbies and wannabees do need to understand that when we tell the "feet kicking like mad under the water" side we are trying to be helpful - not kvetching or hating what we are doing, just trying to make you understand what you are getting into if you already have doubts. We are trying to save you from being the innkeeper who hates it but has invested the "last penny" and are now stuck.
gillumhouse said:
Well said Kathleen

Ok, everybody just needs to take a deep breath. I just came into this thread and read all the posts. Personally, I don't think eyevea is just trying to stir the pot. She's asking questions that are typical of someone who has done some research, but has not had the hands on experience.
I get this all the time from aspiring innkeepers "And between when they head out for the day and when they come back or before new guests arrive, there must be time to do some breath-catching." Again, it's a question of inexperience. Here's the answer to that question...you've got 10 rooms, let's say that 4 or 5 rooms (heaven forbid all 10) check out and you have new check-ins coming. After cooking and cleaning up in the morning, checking out your guests, making small talk with them and thanking them, making sure they know where they're going next, it's now past 11:00am. It's just you and your husband working the inn...you now have to turn over those 4-5 rooms at approx. 35-45 minutes each, with 2 of you working, it'll take you about 3 hours and oh yeah, you'll get interrupted by your stay over guests asking questions, telephone ringing, guests arriving early, etc.....not to mention, when do you go to the grocery store and shop and do errands that you have to do just to keep your b&b functioning? Hmmm....now it's check-in time, you haven't gone to the store and you need to be relaxed, gracious and hospitable. It's check-in time, you've hurried, hurried, hurried and now you sit there and wait, because your guests are having a great time along the route before they get to you. You've now got this down time where you're waiting, but you're resenting the fact that gosh, if you'd have know they were'nt going to be here right at check-in, you could have left to do your shopping. Nope. You're now in the waiting, holding pattern, listening to every sound outside to see if it's one of your new guests pulling up.
Whew, it's now 6:00pm, hopefully, most of your guests have arrived, but maybe they haven't. Nope, they will arrive when you sit down to eat your dinner! After your dinner which you mostly eat in stages because you've been interrupted, it's probably about 8:00pm and it's time to prep breakfast for the next day, or perhaps you need to bake those wonderful baked items guests expect. You flop into bed at 10:00-11:00 with your muscles tired and your feet aching.
That's the typical scenario for 4-5 rooms with no housekeeping staff....imagine what it's like with 10. In that "off time", you also have to spend time marketing your inn, work on your website, work on your social media campaign and figure out new strategies to get heads in beds. I tend to do this when I'm waiting for guests to arrive.
I've been doing our b&b for 10 years now. I've never worked this hard in my life, but we have no regrets. It was just what we wanted and what I was prepared for. Around year 5 we started our exit strategy because going into this career we gave ourselves a 10 year window. Not because we had to, but as an innkeeper, you need to prepare both yourself and your property years in advance for sale. We haven't listed our place for sale, but we're ready to list when we decide it's time.
A question I have for you is are you satisfied with the 30% occupancy rate? Seems pretty low to me. Will that rate be able to afford the lifestyle you are looking for? If so, then you would definitely be able to block out time for yourselves, especially if you can increase the occupancy during the busier seasons. I know of innkeepers who block off a month at a time during their slow times. No matter what you occupancy rate is, you will need to find time for yourselves. Force yourselves to take time away from the business and leave home/business so you can reconnect with each other. It is impossible to separate your home from business when you live where your work.
This is a dose of reality and it's not ment to be discouraging. It's meant to open your eyes before you make the change. I thought I knew how hard I was going to have to work, but even at that, I had no clue what it took to do a good job at it. As I said, I have no regrets, it has been a great ride for us, but I am getting tired, and I think that's what you're hearing from a lot of the experienced innkeepers here in their responses. They are tired too. Does that mean it was a wrong decision? No, I don't think so.
Keep asking questions. It's the only way you'll learn..
Thank you, very much for your considered response. I really am just trying to get information. My husband is now reading all of this. He's the cook in the family.
It helps to read what people thought before going into the business and after getting into the business.
I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Never my intent.
Taking a deep breath now.

Breakfast Diva... Yours is a very thoughtful and helpful response. Thank you. The day-in-the-life account was particularly useful, though you left out the part where you have to shovel the driveway, gather the eggs and get the truck's oil changed.
And I'm sure Eyevea was not trying to offend. Rather, she is trying to look inward with help from people who have lived as innkeepers. Thanks for taking the time to share.
One question: when you need to hire help, how hard is it to find good employees? What do you do if you have to have your appendix out, for instance?

I would very highly recommend either a front desk job in a hotel or an Innternship of some kind. Coming from nearly 20 years in hotel management really helped me.....and after dealing with hotel guests, B&B guests seem like absolute angels.

Breakfast Diva... Yours is a very thoughtful and helpful response. Thank you. The day-in-the-life account was particularly useful, though you left out the part where you have to shovel the driveway, gather the eggs and get the truck's oil changed.
And I'm sure Eyevea was not trying to offend. Rather, she is trying to look inward with help from people who have lived as innkeepers. Thanks for taking the time to share.
One question: when you need to hire help, how hard is it to find good employees? What do you do if you have to have your appendix out, for instance?.
What do you do if you have to have your appendix out, for instance?
I would pray and hope that one of those offers I had for help if I need it was not just hot air! In reality, DH would probably call the Diner and have them run a tab for whatever the guests order.

I would very highly recommend either a front desk job in a hotel or an Innternship of some kind. Coming from nearly 20 years in hotel management really helped me.....and after dealing with hotel guests, B&B guests seem like absolute angels..
Little Blue said:
I would very highly recommend either a front desk job in a hotel or an Innternship of some kind. Coming from nearly 20 years in hotel management really helped me.....and after dealing with hotel guests, B&B guests seem like absolute angels.
From experience, I can say that working in the housekeeping department is useful, also. I will never again be intimidated by a mountain of laundry or a houseful of dirty rooms. I learned long ago how to organize, prioritize and get the work done.

One question: when you need to hire help, how hard is it to find good employees? What do you do if you have to have your appendix out, for instance?.
oddsocks said:
One question: when you need to hire help, how hard is it to find good employees? What do you do if you have to have your appendix out, for instance?
Ha! you can tell I'm not in a snow area!
As far as your employee question goes, I'm in a rural location, yet on a tourist route. Our year round population is only in the hundreds and it's a great disadvantage. In the summer when I need housekeeping help and can afford to pay them, I can't find anyone to hire. The few times I did find someone years ago, they were young, inexperience and undependable so we just bite the bullet every summer and do it all ourselves. This is one of the many topics that need to be explored and answered when looking to buy a b&b.
I'm sure that there are other innkeepers here that can answer your employee questions. I think as with any industry, it's difficult to find and maintain quality workers, especial when you are only able to employ them seasonally.
"What do you do if you have to have your appendix out, for instance?"
Your spouse/partner has to take up the slack. Hopefully, you've already established a relationship with a professional innsitter, or you have a neighbor/friend you have trained to help.
Recently, I had a death in my family and without much notice both my husband and I had to go out of state for a memorial. Our regular innsitters were not available, so we had to pay a fortune to fly other innsitters from another state to take care of our guests on short notice. We had no other option. I needed my DH to be with me for support and we had guests, so we just did what we had to. We lost money on it, but it is important to me that we maintain our reputation.
Another question I get asked a lot of aspiring innkeepers is "what do you do when you're sick?" Well, you just have to work through it anyway. Most of the time it's not an option to just stay in bed until you get better. Fortunately, I came from an industry where I also could not stay at home if I was sick so it wasn't anything new to me, but to those aspirings who are used to being able to take sick days or weekends or days off, it's a big deal.
Speaking of days off...we don't get one for typically 6 months. Remember, that it takes 2 nights of no guests for you to have 1 real day off because you're either doing breakfast then cleaning, or you need to be there to check in guests. Even then, you typically take that day off to do things around the b&b.

Back