Nespresso vs Kettle vs Filter

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What hot beverage making facilities do you offer in your rooms?
Nespresso machines are getting popular in people's homes should they also be in a B&B?
barney-barnato-b-b.jpg

What you put a Nespresso in your guest rooms?

Me - no - we had one in the lounge and was more trouble than it was worth - only makes small espresso shots and half the people couldn't use it and got water everywhere - was a massive pain. Only people who successfully used it had one at home.

Nothing in the rooms. We have a kettle and a Keurig in the guest common area.

NOTHING in rooms. I have a Keurig and a water reservoir for tea in the dining room for other than during breakfast. For breakfast, I do fresh-ground, fresh-perked coffee. If i have tea people, the reservoir is always on.

The Keurings seem to be the most popular around here. Dr. Offices have them now

I'm not in the US.... our guests don't like the Keuring at all... just too weak. We don't offer in room, but we have centrally located hot water and we offer Nespresso as well. Tradition around here is to offer tea only later in the day, but we are going to move the Nespresso to guest access. Around here, we have a lot of people who want the Nespresso. What I want is a small glass fronted fridge to keep milk in.
We have a Lattissima, so I could keep the milk container in there so that they can produce cappuccino or latte macchiato, rather than standard espresso and macchiato.

We have a kettle in every room and little sachets of instant coffee, tea bags and hot chocolate.
I must admit I'm not happy with this coffee offering and I've been thinking about change for a while.
I don't like the pod machines on the basis that you're paying 4 times the price for coffee and all that plastic can't be environmentally good.
We give guests a french press at breakfast, that's an option but what would people do with the used grounds and how would I put coffee in the room.
Coffee bags (like tea bags) I think are the best bet, but they always seem to need a machine.
I need to investigate more.

I'm not in the US.... our guests don't like the Keuring at all... just too weak. We don't offer in room, but we have centrally located hot water and we offer Nespresso as well. Tradition around here is to offer tea only later in the day, but we are going to move the Nespresso to guest access. Around here, we have a lot of people who want the Nespresso. What I want is a small glass fronted fridge to keep milk in.
We have a Lattissima, so I could keep the milk container in there so that they can produce cappuccino or latte macchiato, rather than standard espresso and macchiato..
A counter top fridge like hotels have at the buffet? That's a great idea. We have an under counter dorm fridge with freezer where we keep milk. No room on the counter. I think Lowe's or home Depot might have what you're looking for.

We have a kettle in every room and little sachets of instant coffee, tea bags and hot chocolate.
I must admit I'm not happy with this coffee offering and I've been thinking about change for a while.
I don't like the pod machines on the basis that you're paying 4 times the price for coffee and all that plastic can't be environmentally good.
We give guests a french press at breakfast, that's an option but what would people do with the used grounds and how would I put coffee in the room.
Coffee bags (like tea bags) I think are the best bet, but they always seem to need a machine.
I need to investigate more..
Before we got the Keurig, we had coffee bags. Several different companies put them out. Coffee snobs were unimpressed with the taste, but it was better than nothing.
Agree with the pod problems. We found a company that makes biodegrade pods. Still pricey, but better than the coffee bags or providing nothing. Or putting out an air pot and hearing complaints about how it ran out.

We have a Lattissima, so I could keep the milk container in there so that they can produce cappuccino or latte macchiato, rather than standard espresso and macchiato..
A counter top fridge like hotels have at the buffet? That's a great idea. We have an under counter dorm fridge with freezer where we keep milk. No room on the counter. I think Lowe's or home Depot might have what you're looking for.
We use Mini-moos during the day and put out half and half in a pitcher for breakfast.

Morticia said:
We don't keep the milk in the freezer...

We use Mini-moos during the day and put out half and half in a pitcher for breakfast.
We used to use the moos. But, we had the fridge there and decided to go with milk and half and half in bottles. The moos were going bad, guests thought they were butter, oh the list goes on...

Morticia said:
giggle!
I have a niece that collects bad grammar and word usage.

Morticia said:
giggle!
I have a niece that collects bad grammar and word usage.
You had already commented so I couldn't fix it.

have you thought about these? http://www.outofeden.co.uk/products/4070_4071_4072/the-little-coffee-bag-co-
its like a tea bag for coffee don't know what it tastes like mind

Highlands John said:
I need to investigate more.
We used the Starbucks instant Via packets, which seemed better than the usual coffee bags. The Via Columbia made the HuffPost #1 spot for instant coffee.
I wonder if anybody has tried the coffee concentrate (usually cold brew) out there to make hot coffee instead of iced coffee. It might be a way to offer better flavor if it doesn't have to be watered down too much to make it hot.

Keurig in the Main House for our three rooms there. Keurig's in each Suite in our Carriage House and River House.
Debated adding a Nespresso to our Main House after getting one as a gift and liking it - but decided too many guests would either not get what it was, and not be happy with espresso instead of a full cup of coffee, or would just make a mess.
Keurig pods are about .35-.60 each at Costco depending on the brand and sales. You can't find Nespresso pods for less than .80 each. Another reason I've opted not to offer one.
I might put one out for a week as a test, but given that the pods are double the cost of our Keurig's, I really don't think the added wow factor offsets the cost.

We do have a Nespresso Dolce Gusto in the kitchen which allot of guests use for a couple of nights and than that's it usually (most probably the excitement of doing coffee with a machine wears out) but I do have to show them how to use it unless they have one at home, we also have a kettle with some tea and coffee in the room. Unfortunately as others have said the fact that the machine can only be used with plastic pods that have to be thrown away is a bit environmentally unfriendly and the prices are a bit more expensive than the sachets (although there are slightly cheaper ones which would not be from the machine manufacturer).

Back