No battle plan survives contact with the enemy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arks where is that chapel in the woods, anywhere near you? I saw a photo this morning. It said Arkansas..
Joey Bloggs said:
Arks where is that chapel in the woods, anywhere near you? I saw a photo this morning. It said Arkansas.
The most famous is Throncrown Chapel just outside Eureka Springs (a few hours from us). It won about every architectural award in the book when it was built about 1980.
There's a similar one, which we think of with the phrase "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" in a botanic garden at Hot Springs, also a few hours from us. It's almost as nice, but I'm sure Thorncrown is the one you're thinking of. It's world famous.
duskshot_filtered2_fs.jpg

I loved this when I first saw it years ago.

Arks where is that chapel in the woods, anywhere near you? I saw a photo this morning. It said Arkansas..
Joey Bloggs said:
Arks where is that chapel in the woods, anywhere near you? I saw a photo this morning. It said Arkansas.
The most famous is Throncrown Chapel just outside Eureka Springs (a few hours from us). It won about every architectural award in the book when it was built about 1980.
There's a similar one, which we think of with the phrase "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" in a botanic garden at Hot Springs, also a few hours from us. It's almost as nice, but I'm sure Thorncrown is the one you're thinking of. It's world famous.
duskshot_filtered2_fs.jpg

all I can say is WOW!!!

Congrats! What a great feeling! With my little, tiny experience, I'm all for caving in (err...adapting by making wise business choices) in the first few months when in business. You can be a hard-a** later when you are SOOO full.

Congrats! What a great feeling! With my little, tiny experience, I'm all for caving in (err...adapting by making wise business choices) in the first few months when in business. You can be a hard-a** later when you are SOOO full..
CafeMae said:
Congrats! What a great feeling! With my little, tiny experience, I'm all for caving in (err...adapting by making wise business choices) in the first few months when in business. You can be a hard-a** later when you are SOOO full.
Have my first 2-nighter this weekend. They're also my first to make their reservations online so it was good to see that the online system all worked perfectly. The keypad entry system sent me a notification at 6:09 p.m. that they'd entered their code and entered the apartment. The wireless keypad system is working perfectly! So I immediately charged the balance due to their credit card, per the "balance due upon arrival" policy. Lovin' it!

Congrats! What a great feeling! With my little, tiny experience, I'm all for caving in (err...adapting by making wise business choices) in the first few months when in business. You can be a hard-a** later when you are SOOO full..
CafeMae said:
Have my first 2-nighter this weekend. They're also my first to make their reservations online so it was good to see that the online system all worked perfectly. The keypad entry system sent me a notification at 6:09 p.m. that they'd entered their code and entered the apartment. The wireless keypad system is working perfectly! So I immediately charged the balance due to their credit card, per the "balance due upon arrival" policy. Lovin' it!
THAT sounds like a swift system!

Got an e-mail this afternoon from the 2-nighters mentioned above, a mostly glowing review but with a few very valuable suggestions.
You can tell I'm a single man trying to do this! Below are her suggestions:
  • The closet has only men's hangers. There should be some women's hangers.
  • There is no free outlet in the bathroom. I had to unplug the hair dryer to use my curling iron.
  • There should be Kleenex in the bedroom.
  • Ladies need a mirror in the bedroom!
OK, that's all easy to fix, but can someone tell me what "women's hangers" are, and have you ever been to a hotel that had them?

Got an e-mail this afternoon from the 2-nighters mentioned above, a mostly glowing review but with a few very valuable suggestions.
  • There is no free outlet in the bathroom. I had to unplug the hair dryer to use my curling iron.
OK, that's all easy to fix, but can someone tell me what "women's hangers" are, and have you ever been to a hotel that had them?.
Women's hangers are also called skirt hangers - pincher clips to have a shirt from - or just hangers with no movable pants bar (the only way I can think of the describe it. At a guess, I would say she was looking for a skirt hanger. And yes, they do have them in hotels.

You mean these? Yes, I've seen those at hotels. I hate them, but guess women might have some use for them.
hr_kidsclip.jpg

OK, that's all easy to fix, but can someone tell me what "women's hangers" are, and have you ever been to a hotel that had them?.
Skirt hangers (with clips to hold a skirt) and/or hangers with cut outs on the top to hold 'slinky' things like chemises. Do your hangers have the extra bar at the bottom to hold a pair of folded pants?
Oh, that outlet one is a good one. Curious...what is plugged into the outlet in the bathroom so there is only one free outlet? (The lighted makeup/shaving mirror?) Make sure that outlet can handle a curling iron AND a blow dryer being on at the same time the A/C is also running. (Learned this the really hard way when the breakers tripped while 4 women in separate rooms were getting ready for a wedding in July!)
Yes, tissues in bedroom and bathroom. Ditto a trash can in both places for said tissues. (Otherwise, you'll find them on the nightstand or the floor - ewww.) And, you'll get a TA review that hauls you over the coals because the guest wasn't smart enough to take the trash can out of the bathroom. (No, not here.)
Mirrors on dresser AND full length mirror in guest bedroom. And outlet near one or both for said hair dryer in case someone else is hogging the bathroom.
Not mentioned, and maybe you have these, extendable makeup/shaving mirrors over the bathroom sink. The kind that are illuminated and double-sided.

You mean these? Yes, I've seen those at hotels. I hate them, but guess women might have some use for them.
hr_kidsclip.jpg
Yes, those. You (well, not you) can hang a silky top using the notches on the top and a skirt from the clips at the bottom. Ditto slacks you don't want creased. BB&B sells them in a box of 20 or 25 for a decent price. Make sure the clips have rubber tips so skirts don't get caught and pull on the metal.

hr_kidsclip.jpg
Yes. I just went up and took a photo and was about to load it here because I cannot find your e-mail address - grrrrr. Some ladies do still wear skirts. I stopped wearing dresses and skirts when I had to start wearing old lady shooes. Nothing looks worse than a nice dress or skirt with clodhoppers! (otherwise known as men's gym shoes (EE) because they are the only thing wide enough for my wonderful bunion - thank you 3 inch spike heels and pointed toes)

hr_kidsclip.jpg
Yes. I just went up and took a photo and was about to load it here because I cannot find your e-mail address - grrrrr. Some ladies do still wear skirts. I stopped wearing dresses and skirts when I had to start wearing old lady shooes. Nothing looks worse than a nice dress or skirt with clodhoppers! (otherwise known as men's gym shoes (EE) because they are the only thing wide enough for my wonderful bunion - thank you 3 inch spike heels and pointed toes)
Hey, I wear skirts with wide, flat soled shoes all the time. Not gym shoes. But right now espadrilles. I own not a single pair of pointy-toed, high heeled shoes. Heaven help me if the last one gets married and I'm invited. ;-)

Skirt hangers (with clips to hold a skirt) and/or hangers with cut outs on the top to hold 'slinky' things like chemises. Do your hangers have the extra bar at the bottom to hold a pair of folded pants?
Oh, that outlet one is a good one. Curious...what is plugged into the outlet in the bathroom so there is only one free outlet? (The lighted makeup/shaving mirror?) Make sure that outlet can handle a curling iron AND a blow dryer being on at the same time the A/C is also running. (Learned this the really hard way when the breakers tripped while 4 women in separate rooms were getting ready for a wedding in July!)
Yes, tissues in bedroom and bathroom. Ditto a trash can in both places for said tissues. (Otherwise, you'll find them on the nightstand or the floor - ewww.) And, you'll get a TA review that hauls you over the coals because the guest wasn't smart enough to take the trash can out of the bathroom. (No, not here.)
Mirrors on dresser AND full length mirror in guest bedroom. And outlet near one or both for said hair dryer in case someone else is hogging the bathroom.
Not mentioned, and maybe you have these, extendable makeup/shaving mirrors over the bathroom sink. The kind that are illuminated and double-sided.
Madeleine said:
Do your hangers have the extra bar at the bottom to hold a pair of folded pants?
Yes, because we men need them :)
Madeleine said:
Oh, that outlet one is a good one. Curious...what is plugged into the outlet in the bathroom so there is only one free outlet?
There is NO free outlet. Lighted extendable double-sided makeup mirror and blow dryer take both outlets, so you have to unplug one to use curling iron or shaver. I'll fix that for sure.
Madeleine said:
Ditto a trash can in both places for said tissues.
Have trash cans covered. EVERY room in the place has a trash can. But I'm having a horrible time finding plastic bags to fit small bathroom-sized trash cans and I REALLY don't want to use Walmart bags!!!

Madeleine said:
Do your hangers have the extra bar at the bottom to hold a pair of folded pants?
Madeleine said:
Oh, that outlet one is a good one. Curious...what is plugged into the outlet in the bathroom so there is only one free outlet?
There is NO free outlet. Lighted extendable double-sided makeup mirror and blow dryer take both outlets, so you have to unplug one to use curling iron or shaver. I'll fix that for sure.
Madeleine said:
Have trash cans covered. EVERY room in the place has a trash can. But I'm having a horrible time finding plastic bags to fit small bathroom-sized trash cans and I REALLY don't want to use Walmart bags!!!
Americanhotelregister.com has the boxes of small plastic liners

hr_kidsclip.jpg
Yes, those. You (well, not you) can hang a silky top using the notches on the top and a skirt from the clips at the bottom. Ditto slacks you don't want creased. BB&B sells them in a box of 20 or 25 for a decent price. Make sure the clips have rubber tips so skirts don't get caught and pull on the metal.
Madeleine said:
Make sure the clips have rubber tips so skirts don't get caught and pull on the metal.
Great point! Thanks!

Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
Thanks! When I did a search I got: 1189 results found for "can liner"
But I'll find them there eventually. Maybe "small can liner" will help.
Amazon and the local Walmart failed miserably. The smallest bag our WM has is a "tall kitchen bag".

hr_kidsclip.jpg
Hey, I wear skirts with wide, flat soled shoes all the time. Not gym shoes. But right now espadrilles. I own not a single pair of pointy-toed, high heeled shoes. Heaven help me if the last one gets married and I'm invited. ;-)
Have not worn 3-inch heels since 1973 when the OB said to stop wearing them. Once I dropped the kid, I could not take the pain of getting used to them again. Now I cannot (and have not for years) find pretty shoes that I do not blow through in less than 6 months - no matter whether they are cheap or expensive. Right foot is 1 inch wider than the left thanks to the bunion (doesn't hurt so i am leaving it alone). The only shoes I can get that I do not split out the side of are the men's gym shoes (low-cut shoelace kind) in EEE width if I can find them. I have one white pair and 2 pairs in black that I have been wearing for a couple years now..
One Sunday after church a few of us were talking about fashion and age and i said the thing I hated was having to start wearing old lady shoes. As I walked home it hit me - You dumba**, you are wearing old lady shoes BECAUSE you ARE an old lady!!! DUH!!

Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
We get our small plastic trash cans liners from American Hotel Register. I will look later on to get the correct size part number for you.

Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
Thanks! When I did a search I got: 1189 results found for "can liner"
But I'll find them there eventually. Maybe "small can liner" will help.
Amazon and the local Walmart failed miserably. The smallest bag our WM has is a "tall kitchen bag".
Not sure if this is them or not but 24 x 24 sounds closer
http://www.americanhotel.com/Products/High-Density-Can-Liner-24x24-6-Mic-Natural-Perforated-Coreless-Roll-1000-case.aspx?R=2465EC242406N
THis one is 17 x 17
http://www.americanhotel.com/Controller/controller2.aspx?R=2465EC171806N

Trash can liners: American Hotel Register - PN EC202206NAH
Desc: Coreless rolls, 6 micron, 50 bags/roll, 40 rolls/case 20x22", color natural. (Natural for plastic I guess)
If they are too wide, we pull them tight and tie a knot on the outside of the trash can.

Back