No show from booking?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree. I have two late nighters coming up and I've already spoken to them about checking themselves in.
Already working on the wording of check in times on my site for next year. A little late for this season. Can't and don't want to be on call 24/7. I'm fine with my check in (3-6), but please people, call me if you're going to stop for supper before you check in! Let me have a chance to do my own thing if you won't be here!!!.
We do a 3-6p check in. Our confirmation email states that we only allot check-ins after 6pm if they make arrangements in advance. We get alot of calls from that. We also started a few other habits -
  • We call when their room is clean to tell them that they can check-in early if they are already in town. This gets them checked-in and off our list while we are still at the Inn anyways and also tells us exactly what time they will be arriving.
  • At 6pm we call and check in with anyone that's not there yet. We make arrangements to leave a key for them. They call us and we tell them where we've hidden the key and give them a verbal tour of the house. We do our full check-in speech on the phone and they don't miss any information. I've taken check-in calls from other states, on the lake, from my own couch. I can do that from anywhere. So, sometimes we'll just call them in advance and let them know that whatever time they do show up, they will have to call because we're going out to enjoy this beautiful day and won't be there. They don't mine at all and we've even had comments about how nice it was to just let themselves into the house. Like they were visiting friends. And if they are repeat guests, heck they know where the key is. They're on their own!
what do you do if they don't have a mobile? I was handicapped today as had only 2 check in's and one came early and got the key and was good to go - other was home number only and did not respond to emails - so felt I was tied to the house all day for 1 person - luckily my parents turned up and I left them holding the fort while I got stuff done in town. Same with a woman yesterday rang to see arrival time - she didn't get the message till after she was here as was driving and didn't check her phone.
Could have left the key out but people do expect you to be in for their arrival during the day and would probably lead to bad reviews.

That's my dilemma too. I might have their cell number but service can be limited and depending on the provider, nonexistent.
Or they don't turn on their cell.
Or they didn't hear it.
And don't check their messages.

Second one in 2 weeks. The email states our check in time. I'm done for the day. If they show, fine, if not, I've got the money. So dang tired of the booking crowd not reading the confirmations and the pre arrival emails. No idea where they are, out of country phone number, putting my feet up and forgetting them for now.

Second one in 2 weeks. The email states our check in time. I'm done for the day. If they show, fine, if not, I've got the money. So dang tired of the booking crowd not reading the confirmations and the pre arrival emails. No idea where they are, out of country phone number, putting my feet up and forgetting them for now..
Morticia said:
Second one in 2 weeks. The email states our check in time. I'm done for the day. If they show, fine, if not, I've got the money. So dang tired of the booking crowd not reading the confirmations and the pre arrival emails. No idea where they are, out of country phone number, putting my feet up and forgetting them for now.
I am reading the same issue on another forum. This is happening more and more it seems.
Sigh.

Second one in 2 weeks. The email states our check in time. I'm done for the day. If they show, fine, if not, I've got the money. So dang tired of the booking crowd not reading the confirmations and the pre arrival emails. No idea where they are, out of country phone number, putting my feet up and forgetting them for now..
Morticia said:
I am reading the same issue on another forum. This is happening more and more it seems.
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Another inn had a family show up for a room with one bed.

Morticia said:
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
We had that. Three women, one bed.

Morticia said:
I have found that the best way to encourage no shows to show is to sit in a lounge chair in the sun with a good book and a glass of wine. Never fails.

Morticia said:
I have found that the best way to encourage no shows to show is to sit in a lounge chair in the sun with a good book and a glass of wine. Never fails.
I have 2 ways of No Fail - make a quick grocery store run or head to the bathroom

Morticia said:
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
what did you do?

Morticia said:
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
what did you do?
April said:
what did you do?
We set up an air mattress. They were going to a wedding and just needed a crash pad. They were fine with it.

Morticia said:
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
what did you do?
April said:
what did you do?
We set up an air mattress. They were going to a wedding and just needed a crash pad. They were fine with it.
We bought a good air mattress and have used it a lot. It comes in handy for those extra, 'oops, I probably should have told you we were bringing our teenage daughter' moments.
As long as there is floor space for it, we don't mind setting it up.

Morticia said:
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
what did you do?
April said:
what did you do?
We bought a good air mattress and have used it a lot. It comes in handy for those extra, 'oops, I probably should have told you we were bringing our teenage daughter' moments.
I have gotten air mattresses for as little as $11 at Wally-world. Maybe should stock them in B&B gift shops
teeth_smile.gif

According to Hotel Impossible, a King bed could sleep 3 people. I would not want to be the one in the middle.

Morticia said:
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
what did you do?
April said:
what did you do?
I have gotten air mattresses for as little as $11 at Wally-world. Maybe should stock them in B&B gift shops
teeth_smile.gif

According to Hotel Impossible, a King bed could sleep 3 people. I would not want to be the one in the middle.
undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

It all comes down to the guest experience. Is the person sleeping on the floor having a good experience when the others are kicking her or stepping on her to get to the bathroom? Are the guests in the other rooms having a good experience when there are now 3 or 4 guests in a room designed to accommodate 2 with all the attendant noise? Is your room being put to more wear and tear as the 3-4 guest jostle themselves and their 4 large suitcases around.
I know guests who want to stuff 5 in a room for 4 or 4 in a room for 3 think it's no big deal. But then they have never seen the inside of the room and thus do not know that there is ONLY room for 2 guests with 2 small, overhead bin size suitcases.
We could regularly have 20 or more guests here on nights when a lot of 'oh, the kids are really small' guests call for rooms and will stuff 4 of them into a single room. And then if I took six in the room for four (not an uncommon request) I could get up to 24 guests with ease.
I like to keep my sanity as best I can and that comes by limiting the number of people I have to interact with. So, requests for 'extra' guests are politely declined. No matter how small, how quiet, how obliging they would be to sleep on the floor. Or in the sleeping bag they just happen to have brought along.

Morticia said:
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
what did you do?
April said:
what did you do?
teeth_smile.gif

undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

It all comes down to the guest experience. Is the person sleeping on the floor having a good experience when the others are kicking her or stepping on her to get to the bathroom? Are the guests in the other rooms having a good experience when there are now 3 or 4 guests in a room designed to accommodate 2 with all the attendant noise? Is your room being put to more wear and tear as the 3-4 guest jostle themselves and their 4 large suitcases around.
I know guests who want to stuff 5 in a room for 4 or 4 in a room for 3 think it's no big deal. But then they have never seen the inside of the room and thus do not know that there is ONLY room for 2 guests with 2 small, overhead bin size suitcases.
We could regularly have 20 or more guests here on nights when a lot of 'oh, the kids are really small' guests call for rooms and will stuff 4 of them into a single room. And then if I took six in the room for four (not an uncommon request) I could get up to 24 guests with ease.
I like to keep my sanity as best I can and that comes by limiting the number of people I have to interact with. So, requests for 'extra' guests are politely declined. No matter how small, how quiet, how obliging they would be to sleep on the floor. Or in the sleeping bag they just happen to have brought along.
This is spot on. One other addition, the strain on the hot water!
These are also the ones who will casually forget that they overloaded your room when they go to write that review and state the room was too small and there was not enough hot water for our showers.

Morticia said:
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
what did you do?
April said:
what did you do?
teeth_smile.gif

undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

Morticia said:
undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

Could not agree more.
But what do you do when they are standing in front of you with extra people and you have no extra rooms? I had one guy offer to sleep on the couch in the main living room. Uh.....NO!

Morticia said:
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
what did you do?
April said:
what did you do?
teeth_smile.gif

undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

Morticia said:
undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

Could not agree more.
But what do you do when they are standing in front of you with extra people and you have no extra rooms? I had one guy offer to sleep on the couch in the main living room. Uh.....NO!
TheBeachHouse said:
And of course that is what they planned! Had that happen this past year and allowed them to stay. They said my website said it could sleep 3. (not that room) I had no time to prove them otherwise and what good would it have done.
I did charge them extra for the 3rd person as I know they had planned all this, sleeping bag in hand! They did not write a review online but did send me a stinking email once they returned home. So the extra $10 charge really dampened their vacation.

Morticia said:
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
what did you do?
April said:
what did you do?
teeth_smile.gif

undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

Morticia said:
undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

Could not agree more.
TheBeachHouse said:
And of course that is what they planned! Had that happen this past year and allowed them to stay. They said my website said it could sleep 3. (not that room) I had no time to prove them otherwise and what good would it have done.
I did charge them extra for the 3rd person as I know they had planned all this, sleeping bag in hand! They did not write a review online but did send me a stinking email once they returned home. So the extra $10 charge really dampened their vacation.
Copperhead said:
TheBeachHouse said:
We charge $25 extra per person. I don't like overloading the rooms, but I like sending people to sleep in their cars even less.
We have tried calling the other inns, but sometimes, you just cram 'em in.

Morticia said:
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
what did you do?
April said:
what did you do?
teeth_smile.gif

undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

Morticia said:
undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

Could not agree more.
We've had this happen a couple of times. In one case we were able to move them but they were very unhappy at having to now pay for the extra person, lose their discount and have to contend with the bath in the hallway. They never returned.
Another time it was 3 guys who were told (by their organization) that they had a hotel room with 2 beds. They were also very unhappy to find there was one bed and no other rooms. Two of them stayed and the third stomped off saying he'd sleep in the car. (Next day a completely different person showed up with the room key - she traded with them for her noisy motel room and said she got the better deal. She's been back.)
The last one we found the family of 6 a suite at the hotel. They were also very unhappy to find our rooms did not have 2 large beds each.
We have had the late check ins or wedding goers return after hours with 2 or 3 extra people we didn't know about until we saw them all running out the door in the morning. They had divvied up the bedding and slept on the floor.
It's a disaster when that happens. Other guests do comment on the 'clown car' aspect of seeing all these people file out of the room. And they wonder did we allow that and what kind of business we're running.
Once we let a college kid sleep on the floor in her parents' room. But, we knew them and it was an emergency.

Morticia said:
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
what did you do?
April said:
what did you do?
teeth_smile.gif

undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

Morticia said:
undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

Could not agree more.
TheBeachHouse said:
Speaking of what guests say that conveniently forgets the grief they caused you into the bargain, we had a guy write a nasty gram about us when we wouldn't let him check in 7 hours early.
He DID sleep in his car and he certainly let everyone know how ungracious we were to not let him into his room during breakfast.
Conveniently forgetting it was during breakfast that he requested this. Forgetting he knew he was going to arrive at that time but didn't want to book the previous night.
He also tried to get back in after check out to take a shower.

Morticia said:
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
what did you do?
April said:
what did you do?
teeth_smile.gif

undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

Morticia said:
undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

Could not agree more.
TheBeachHouse said:
Speaking of what guests say that conveniently forgets the grief they caused you into the bargain, we had a guy write a nasty gram about us when we wouldn't let him check in 7 hours early.
He DID sleep in his car and he certainly let everyone know how ungracious we were to not let him into his room during breakfast.
Conveniently forgetting it was during breakfast that he requested this. Forgetting he knew he was going to arrive at that time but didn't want to book the previous night.
He also tried to get back in after check out to take a shower.
hope you posted that as the response to the review.
Did you offer the "early checkin" option for only $30, if a room was available?
For me it is not about the money, it is about avoiding a negative review.
The loss of business to restaurants due to negative reviews is a lot worse than people imagine.
It is good to have policies. But a couple negative reviews can cause a sizable future loss in revenue.

Back