No show from booking?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Second one in 2 weeks. The email states our check in time. I'm done for the day. If they show, fine, if not, I've got the money. So dang tired of the booking crowd not reading the confirmations and the pre arrival emails. No idea where they are, out of country phone number, putting my feet up and forgetting them for now..
Morticia said:
Second one in 2 weeks. The email states our check in time. I'm done for the day. If they show, fine, if not, I've got the money. So dang tired of the booking crowd not reading the confirmations and the pre arrival emails. No idea where they are, out of country phone number, putting my feet up and forgetting them for now.
I am reading the same issue on another forum. This is happening more and more it seems.
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Second one in 2 weeks. The email states our check in time. I'm done for the day. If they show, fine, if not, I've got the money. So dang tired of the booking crowd not reading the confirmations and the pre arrival emails. No idea where they are, out of country phone number, putting my feet up and forgetting them for now.
I am reading the same issue on another forum. This is happening more and more it seems.
Sigh.
Another inn had a family show up for a room with one bed.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
We had that. Three women, one bed.
what did you do?
April said:
what did you do?
We set up an air mattress. They were going to a wedding and just needed a crash pad. They were fine with it.
We bought a good air mattress and have used it a lot. It comes in handy for those extra, 'oops, I probably should have told you we were bringing our teenage daughter' moments.
As long as there is floor space for it, we don't mind setting it up.
I have gotten air mattresses for as little as $11 at Wally-world. Maybe should stock them in B&B gift shops
teeth_smile.gif

According to Hotel Impossible, a King bed could sleep 3 people. I would not want to be the one in the middle.
undersea said:
I have gotten air mattresses for as little as $11 at Wally-world. Maybe should stock them in B&B gift shops
teeth_smile.gif

According to Hotel Impossible, a King bed could sleep 3 people. I would not want to be the one in the middle.
It all comes down to the guest experience. Is the person sleeping on the floor having a good experience when the others are kicking her or stepping on her to get to the bathroom? Are the guests in the other rooms having a good experience when there are now 3 or 4 guests in a room designed to accommodate 2 with all the attendant noise? Is your room being put to more wear and tear as the 3-4 guest jostle themselves and their 4 large suitcases around.
I know guests who want to stuff 5 in a room for 4 or 4 in a room for 3 think it's no big deal. But then they have never seen the inside of the room and thus do not know that there is ONLY room for 2 guests with 2 small, overhead bin size suitcases.
We could regularly have 20 or more guests here on nights when a lot of 'oh, the kids are really small' guests call for rooms and will stuff 4 of them into a single room. And then if I took six in the room for four (not an uncommon request) I could get up to 24 guests with ease.
I like to keep my sanity as best I can and that comes by limiting the number of people I have to interact with. So, requests for 'extra' guests are politely declined. No matter how small, how quiet, how obliging they would be to sleep on the floor. Or in the sleeping bag they just happen to have brought along.
one of the strangest LANDLORD experiences I had, was when I had a room for rent in a 3 BR apartment (1 bath). The other 2 bedrooms were rented to 2 other people.
A father called up, and asked if his family of 5 could have the room. I decined. But talk about unrealistic. Again, the federal max for rentals is 2 in each bedroom and 1 in the LR. Not to mention how thrilled the 2 in the other 2 bedrooms would have been...

Second one in 2 weeks. The email states our check in time. I'm done for the day. If they show, fine, if not, I've got the money. So dang tired of the booking crowd not reading the confirmations and the pre arrival emails. No idea where they are, out of country phone number, putting my feet up and forgetting them for now..
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
what did you do?
April said:
what did you do?
We set up an air mattress. They were going to a wedding and just needed a crash pad. They were fine with it.
We bought a good air mattress and have used it a lot. It comes in handy for those extra, 'oops, I probably should have told you we were bringing our teenage daughter' moments.
teeth_smile.gif

undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

It all comes down to the guest experience. Is the person sleeping on the floor having a good experience when the others are kicking her or stepping on her to get to the bathroom? Are the guests in the other rooms having a good experience when there are now 3 or 4 guests in a room designed to accommodate 2 with all the attendant noise? Is your room being put to more wear and tear as the 3-4 guest jostle themselves and their 4 large suitcases around.
I know guests who want to stuff 5 in a room for 4 or 4 in a room for 3 think it's no big deal. But then they have never seen the inside of the room and thus do not know that there is ONLY room for 2 guests with 2 small, overhead bin size suitcases.
We could regularly have 20 or more guests here on nights when a lot of 'oh, the kids are really small' guests call for rooms and will stuff 4 of them into a single room. And then if I took six in the room for four (not an uncommon request) I could get up to 24 guests with ease.
I like to keep my sanity as best I can and that comes by limiting the number of people I have to interact with. So, requests for 'extra' guests are politely declined. No matter how small, how quiet, how obliging they would be to sleep on the floor. Or in the sleeping bag they just happen to have brought along.
Morticia said:
undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

Could not agree more.
But what do you do when they are standing in front of you with extra people and you have no extra rooms? I had one guy offer to sleep on the couch in the main living room. Uh.....NO!
TheBeachHouse said:
But what do you do when they are standing in front of you with extra people and you have no extra rooms? I had one guy offer to sleep on the couch in the main living room. Uh.....NO!
And of course that is what they planned! Had that happen this past year and allowed them to stay. They said my website said it could sleep 3. (not that room) I had no time to prove them otherwise and what good would it have done.
I did charge them extra for the 3rd person as I know they had planned all this, sleeping bag in hand! They did not write a review online but did send me a stinking email once they returned home. So the extra $10 charge really dampened their vacation.
Speaking of what guests say that conveniently forgets the grief they caused you into the bargain, we had a guy write a nasty gram about us when we wouldn't let him check in 7 hours early.
He DID sleep in his car and he certainly let everyone know how ungracious we were to not let him into his room during breakfast.
Conveniently forgetting it was during breakfast that he requested this. Forgetting he knew he was going to arrive at that time but didn't want to book the previous night.
He also tried to get back in after check out to take a shower.
hope you posted that as the response to the review.
Did you offer the "early checkin" option for only $30, if a room was available?
For me it is not about the money, it is about avoiding a negative review.
The loss of business to restaurants due to negative reviews is a lot worse than people imagine.
It is good to have policies. But a couple negative reviews can cause a sizable future loss in revenue.
undersea said:
The loss of business to restaurants due to negative reviews is a lot worse than people imagine.
It is good to have policies. But a couple negative reviews can cause a sizable future loss in revenue.
You know, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer at breakfast time. So, no, I didn't offer to let him have any other room for an additional fee. (Can't remember now if there was another room he could have taken.) I did not comment on the 'review' at all because it was on his blog. No sense in riling up his followers by arguing with him in his sand box. Even stating facts can be seen as arguing if you're on someone else's patch when you do it.
As for reviews, yeah, the bad ones stink. But they happen whether you're a decent sort or not. There's no way to make everyone happy if you are in a location that has all kinds of people staying. And it's really your response that the future guest checks. How did you comport yourself? (Given the number of people who have wanted the 'real story' on my one seriously bad review, I know guests read this stuff. It's like rubbernecking on the highway.)

Morticia said:
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
what did you do?
April said:
what did you do?
teeth_smile.gif

undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

Morticia said:
undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

Could not agree more.
TheBeachHouse said:
And of course that is what they planned! Had that happen this past year and allowed them to stay. They said my website said it could sleep 3. (not that room) I had no time to prove them otherwise and what good would it have done.
I did charge them extra for the 3rd person as I know they had planned all this, sleeping bag in hand! They did not write a review online but did send me a stinking email once they returned home. So the extra $10 charge really dampened their vacation.
Speaking of what guests say that conveniently forgets the grief they caused you into the bargain, we had a guy write a nasty gram about us when we wouldn't let him check in 7 hours early.
He DID sleep in his car and he certainly let everyone know how ungracious we were to not let him into his room during breakfast.
Conveniently forgetting it was during breakfast that he requested this. Forgetting he knew he was going to arrive at that time but didn't want to book the previous night.
He also tried to get back in after check out to take a shower.
undersea said:
You know, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer at breakfast time. So, no, I didn't offer to let him have any other room for an additional fee. (Can't remember now if there was another room he could have taken.) I did not comment on the 'review' at all because it was on his blog. No sense in riling up his followers by arguing with him in his sand box. Even stating facts can be seen as arguing if you're on someone else's patch when you do it.
As for reviews, yeah, the bad ones stink. But they happen whether you're a decent sort or not. There's no way to make everyone happy if you are in a location that has all kinds of people staying. And it's really your response that the future guest checks. How did you comport yourself? (Given the number of people who have wanted the 'real story' on my one seriously bad review, I know guests read this stuff. It's like rubbernecking on the highway.)
I do. I go to the bad reviews first and yes, I pay attention to how it is answered.

Morticia said:
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
what did you do?
April said:
what did you do?
We did allow once years ago to squeeze 3 into a small bedroom - never again> of course they did complain to us that it was to cramped - no kidding, why do you think we have a max per bedroom. Now if they want to put an additional person "our insurance does not allow us for more than double occupancy" - and it works like a charm. We are in a large city with hundreds of hotels - I would have no problem of finding them one (it may be by the airport) if the try to just show up with an extra guest or two. Never did so far.

We are becoming more and more comfortable with self check in.
ON Saturday, we left the house at 4 for a party (visiting family, not just a random party) and left the check ins a note. "Welcome, sorry we missed you, had to run out." Directions to room and wifi info, "help yourself to a cookie and coffee....look forward to meeting you in the morning."
So far, it is working. We only do it when necessary, but heck, we have lives too..
What types of issues have you found with self check in? Perhaps that you did not anticipate.
I am thinking things like people who cannot find the place, whether you have a code for front and guest room doors or use keys, etc...
We had no problems with self check-ins, though I tried to greet each and every guest.
Our website had a printable map that opened in a new window, along with the printable direction list.
I had more issues with people who showed up trying to find one of the other B&Bs due to their poor directions. LOL!

Morticia said:
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
what did you do?
April said:
what did you do?
teeth_smile.gif

undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

Not to mention a possible safety issue in the event of an emergency. I now know of two lovely, renovated B&Bs (one which a sprinkler system) that have suffered devastating fires due to very unforeseen circumstances. You never know when guests might need to get out quickly and that might be hampered with an overcrowded room. Sad, but true...

Morticia said:
Sigh.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Sigh.
what did you do?
April said:
what did you do?
teeth_smile.gif

undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif

Not to mention a possible safety issue in the event of an emergency. I now know of two lovely, renovated B&Bs (one which a sprinkler system) that have suffered devastating fires due to very unforeseen circumstances. You never know when guests might need to get out quickly and that might be hampered with an overcrowded room. Sad, but true...
not being funny but they don't rush out - no matter what happens
We have a brand new fire alarm - DH prize winning idiot forgot we now have a sensor in our bedroom - opens bathrooms door wide open masses of steam - sets the whole ruddy lot off
One guest out of 11 rooms came out to ask if it was the fire alarm and should he do anything - none of the others even twitched - this is real life!

Morticia said:
I have found that the best way to encourage no shows to show is to sit in a lounge chair in the sun with a good book and a glass of wine. Never fails.
I have 2 ways of No Fail - make a quick grocery store run or head to the bathroom
sit down to dinner usually works too. :)

Back