nudging made up people to wash with dark cloths

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the past, we have provided both a paper make-up removers with our logo on it (under the logo was printed "Make Up Remover") AND a dark colored face cloth (in addition to our white face cloths) AND a little note in a frame asking them to use either the paper cloths or the dark face cloths for make-up removal. Guests would use the paper cloths to clean their eye glasses, use the colored face cloths as coasters for water glasses and use the white face cloths to remove make-up.
We guessed that using white cloths would help them know when they had removed all their make-up!
CCC
www.quincetreehouse.com.
You must be close the Isaiah Jones B&B? We stayed there back in 2006 with their previous owners.
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
You must be close the Isaiah Jones B&B? We stayed there back in 2006 with their previous owners.
Seriously? That would be us! We are across the street from IJH, owned the IJH until March 2007! We finished all the projects that we could there and were looking for a new project. Best deal we could find was right across the street. Spent a year in renovations, took our first guests in May.
Small world!

I think this is a really weird thread. It is offensive to have colored towels and wash cloths? What the. Dark is bad? Where did that come from. The reason I don't want white is I don't want to be like a hotel. I want to be a B&B.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

This is continually being discussed on this forum and others. I, for one, will not use a "provided" dark cloth to remove my make-up. I also think it's rude and a little tacky. I want to know that face cloths and towels I use have had a little bleach and I know that doesn't happen with dark towels, etc. Having said all that I travel with my own facecloths because of the laundry issues.
I only use white towels, etc. here. I carry Shout with me and get the spots even before they get to the laundry basket. I will buy less expensive face cloths and replace if needed but they certainly will last me a long time when I pre-treat the stains.
I also provide make-up remover pads. Sometimes they even get used. :eek:).
you think it's rude and a little tacky? because ... why ... guests might think the dark towels have stains on them that can't be seen so well? but why does a guest think it is okay to scrub off bronzer that has stained brown streaks on the new lighter towels?
the towels are ruined and i just don't know what to do at this point. i use a little makeup and i understand what it does to fabric.
i ordered the makeup remover towelettes. maybe some guests will use those first.
but the body bronzer ... she would not remove that with a towelette ... having used the bronzer all over herself. it is also on the sheets.
How would you feel if you went to a hotel and they had special dark cloths and instructed you to use them for make-up or whatever?? We should be at least as good as a hotel and maybe even better.
We are dealing with the public. We are a busines. We should conduct ourselves that way in my opinion. Having things ruined by daily living is part of doing business. You buy linens, you write them off. I think bb hosts need to stop taking stuff like this personally, stop thinking about it as your home (even though it is) and expect that people are going to be people.
I understand it's hard to have this happen. It's annoying and it also makes me angry but it's life in the business of hosting the public who will not necessarily be wondering or worrying about whether they might damage something in the room accidentally. I'm sure they don't sit there and think "hmmm, I can make these people very miserable and unhappy by wiping the mascara off my face or showering off this stupid bronzer."
OK...how would you feel if you went to a hotel and they asked you to take your shoes off when you stepped into the lobby? Don't you require this of your guests? I haven't been to any hotels that ask us to do this but you ask this of your guests to protect your flooring surfaces.
We are different than hotels...we don't have a commercial laundry system. We are better than most hotels because most of us offer a higher quality of linens & bath towels than most hotels (unless you're staying at the Ritz Carlton). I agree that we have to write off a certain percent of damaged linens in this business but if we can prevent some of the problems by offering something that can potentially stand up better to makeup, mascara, face medications, etc. than our $6 spa wash cloths and is clean, laundered to specs, what is the difference? Also, offering a disposable makeup remover cloth is a nice amenity. I don't think that people intentionally ruin linens, I think that they're clueless about how doing stupid things can ruin furnishings, fixtures, and fine linens in any lodging property. I think we're here to share ideas to help us to not spend money needlessly because some guest who hasn't a clue did something moronic.

This is continually being discussed on this forum and others. I, for one, will not use a "provided" dark cloth to remove my make-up. I also think it's rude and a little tacky. I want to know that face cloths and towels I use have had a little bleach and I know that doesn't happen with dark towels, etc. Having said all that I travel with my own facecloths because of the laundry issues.
I only use white towels, etc. here. I carry Shout with me and get the spots even before they get to the laundry basket. I will buy less expensive face cloths and replace if needed but they certainly will last me a long time when I pre-treat the stains.
you think it's rude and a little tacky? because ... why ... guests might think the dark towels have stains on them that can't be seen so well? but why does a guest think it is okay to scrub off bronzer that has stained brown streaks on the new lighter towels?
the towels are ruined and i just don't know what to do at this point. i use a little makeup and i understand what it does to fabric.
i ordered the makeup remover towelettes. maybe some guests will use those first.
but the body bronzer ... she would not remove that with a towelette ... having used the bronzer all over herself. it is also on the sheets.
How would you feel if you went to a hotel and they had special dark cloths and instructed you to use them for make-up or whatever?? We should be at least as good as a hotel and maybe even better.
We are dealing with the public. We are a busines. We should conduct ourselves that way in my opinion. Having things ruined by daily living is part of doing business. You buy linens, you write them off. I think bb hosts need to stop taking stuff like this personally, stop thinking about it as your home (even though it is) and expect that people are going to be people.
I understand it's hard to have this happen. It's annoying and it also makes me angry but it's life in the business of hosting the public who will not necessarily be wondering or worrying about whether they might damage something in the room accidentally. I'm sure they don't sit there and think "hmmm, I can make these people very miserable and unhappy by wiping the mascara off my face or showering off this stupid bronzer."
i stayed at xxx inn in Jaffrey new hampshire ... they had little signs on wash cloths. i wasn't offended. i kind of thought it was a good idea. it did not seem tacky or rude.
but you are right about feeling 'hurt'. i do take a lot of what happens personally. i guess because so much of what has become guest supplies started out as my personal things and i do feel bad when they get ruined ...

i stayed at xxx inn in Jaffrey new hampshire ... they had little signs on wash cloths. i wasn't offended. i kind of thought it was a good idea. it did not seem tacky or rude.
but you are right about feeling 'hurt'. i do take a lot of what happens personally. i guess because so much of what has become guest supplies started out as my personal things and i do feel bad when they get ruined ...
How about a rare, heirloom sofa that has resided with daily use in a family home for over 40 years that the arm got cracked & needs repair after 4 months in a guest room? Yeah, it's gone now & waiting for repairs & won't go back in the guest room. Replaced by some chairs & an ottoman that are very pretty & go with the decor and less comfortable for frolicking or whatever the heck was happening in there. I have no real attachment to them, so I won't care as much if something happens.
This business is personal......
I was looking at this one chair to go in there & had my dh with me & was saying, "Wow, this is a great chair. I love it!" He said: "Sorry, you're not buying that chair." Meaningful look..... Off we went to search somewhere else...
Sorry for the sidetrack :)

OK...how would you feel if you went to a hotel and they asked you to take your shoes off when you stepped into the lobby? Don't you require this of your guests? I haven't been to any hotels that ask us to do this but you ask this of your guests to protect your flooring surfaces.
We are different than hotels...we don't have a commercial laundry system. We are better than most hotels because most of us offer a higher quality of linens & bath towels than most hotels (unless you're staying at the Ritz Carlton). I agree that we have to write off a certain percent of damaged linens in this business but if we can prevent some of the problems by offering something that can potentially stand up better to makeup, mascara, face medications, etc. than our $6 spa wash cloths and is clean, laundered to specs, what is the difference? Also, offering a disposable makeup remover cloth is a nice amenity. I don't think that people intentionally ruin linens, I think that they're clueless about how doing stupid things can ruin furnishings, fixtures, and fine linens in any lodging property. I think we're here to share ideas to help us to not spend money needlessly because some guest who hasn't a clue did something moronic.
Okay, you got me about the shoes :eek:). Guilty as charged.
I still hold to my point about the linens. Also,I will not cry if something in the guest area gets damaged. Things that are really important to me are not available for guests to break or otherwise damage. Malicious damage is different from normal wear and tear of course.
Someone else asked about coloured towels - why is that rude. I never said that was rude - I said having a different coloured cloth for make-up was rude.
Personally I want to have things bleached so that's why I don't like coloured towels. You need really hot water and some bleach to get towels, facecloths, etc really clean. They get body oils, bacteria and all sorts of things on them and coloured linens generally do not see really hot water and/or bleach. I worry less about make-up stains that 'brown' spots from other areas of the body. This cloth then will touch someone else's skin or face. No hot water? No bleach? Hmmm......

I do NOT want to be like a hotel and except for those high end hotels, my colored towels are higher quality than I find in them and I have been to several high end hotels that use colored towels.
I think what put me over the edge was the 2 couples that used ALL the white plush towels and cloths to clean their shoes which were caked with mud. I really don't know where they had been but if I had been them, the shoes would have been in the garbage. You may say they accidentlly ruined my towels as they were not thinking of that at the time, but honestly do you think they would have used THEIR good towels on their shoes if they were at home? I really doubt it.
Regarding those disposable makeup towelettes, just make sure they do not have face cleanser in it, just basic disposable cloth. I will never forget the vacation where my (then) 16 yr old daugher used one in the hotel, she broke out with a red rash all over her face.

Samster said:
The whole make-up/ProActiv/bronzer/self tanner thing drives me nuts. Do none of the guests who use these products notice at HOME what happens to their linens? Do they think we have secret recipes for cleaning?
On another tack...if you notice they have used towels, etc that are now a mess, and you know this isn't coming out easily, do you leave the dirtied towels for them to use while they stay with you? Seriously, we don't change towels everyday and I'd be tempted to not even bother taking the dirty towels away if I noticed them. Let them use the same towels everyday and then not care if they had to be tossed. But to change them out for a 3-4 day stay when you'll have 8+ sets to toss at the end is not my idea of how I want to spend my money!

Samster said:
The whole make-up/ProActiv/bronzer/self tanner thing drives me nuts. Do none of the guests who use these products notice at HOME what happens to their linens? Do they think we have secret recipes for cleaning?
On another tack...if you notice they have used towels, etc that are now a mess, and you know this isn't coming out easily, do you leave the dirtied towels for them to use while they stay with you? Seriously, we don't change towels everyday and I'd be tempted to not even bother taking the dirty towels away if I noticed them. Let them use the same towels everyday and then not care if they had to be tossed. But to change them out for a 3-4 day stay when you'll have 8+ sets to toss at the end is not my idea of how I want to spend my money!
I do think that they don't think!!
I agree that there's nothing wrong with disposable make-up remover pads.
I have a notice that I will change towels every two days unless they are placed in the shower to be changed. If they have left their towels on the rods and I see that they are soiled I still will leave them there and not change them.
I seem to be able to get the bronzer out ... so far ... by treating the stain right away.
About the shoes - mostly it's not for damage but for environmental reasons. I don't want the street dirt, chemicals, toxins in the house. I'm not excusing the fact that I ask for no shoes but just explaining to you lot why I do it.

I do NOT want to be like a hotel and except for those high end hotels, my colored towels are higher quality than I find in them and I have been to several high end hotels that use colored towels.
I think what put me over the edge was the 2 couples that used ALL the white plush towels and cloths to clean their shoes which were caked with mud. I really don't know where they had been but if I had been them, the shoes would have been in the garbage. You may say they accidentlly ruined my towels as they were not thinking of that at the time, but honestly do you think they would have used THEIR good towels on their shoes if they were at home? I really doubt it.
Regarding those disposable makeup towelettes, just make sure they do not have face cleanser in it, just basic disposable cloth. I will never forget the vacation where my (then) 16 yr old daugher used one in the hotel, she broke out with a red rash all over her face..
Copperhead said:
Regarding those disposable makeup towelettes, just make sure they do not have face cleanser in it, just basic disposable cloth. I will never forget the vacation where my (then) 16 yr old daugher used one in the hotel, she broke out with a red rash all over her face.
I have really sensitive skin & don't use those disposable towelettes myself for that reason. I bring my own allergy-free make up remover. I had a horrible rash also from stuff in dispenser in a shower at a B&B too (but I don't want to open that can of worms again..haha). So, they're just to use to wash your face, I assume then with no makeup remover?

Regarding those disposable makeup towelettes, just make sure they do not have face cleanser in it, just basic disposable cloth. I will never forget the vacation where my (then) 16 yr old daugher used one in the hotel, she broke out with a red rash all over her face..
Copperhead said:
I have really sensitive skin & don't use those disposable towelettes myself for that reason. I bring my own allergy-free make up remover. I had a horrible rash also from stuff in dispenser in a shower at a B&B too (but I don't want to open that can of worms again..haha). So, they're just to use to wash your face, I assume then with no makeup remover?
well, for someone with sensitive skin or allergies, they would have to be very careful and maybe not use the wipes. these do have makeup remover in them. i will leave it to the guest to decide if they will use them. i'll provide the ingredients.
but for someone using lots of makeup and bronzer, it is hard for me to imagine that they can't use a wipe?

In the past, we have provided both a paper make-up removers with our logo on it (under the logo was printed "Make Up Remover") AND a dark colored face cloth (in addition to our white face cloths) AND a little note in a frame asking them to use either the paper cloths or the dark face cloths for make-up removal. Guests would use the paper cloths to clean their eye glasses, use the colored face cloths as coasters for water glasses and use the white face cloths to remove make-up.
We guessed that using white cloths would help them know when they had removed all their make-up!
CCC
www.quincetreehouse.com.
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Seriously? That would be us! We are across the street from IJH, owned the IJH until March 2007! We finished all the projects that we could there and were looking for a new project. Best deal we could find was right across the street. Spent a year in renovations, took our first guests in May.
Small world!
WOW, you are!! I just looked at your website and saw your names! Too Funny! When we were there, I believe the house you bought was white and for sale?
You guys were our "first"....B&B experience that is
wink_smile.gif

Copperhead said:
Samster said:
Copperhead said:
The ones we get are specifically for make-up removal. They have aloe in them and whatever cleaner it is. We've had guests use them, but not often enough. Even guests with tons of 'product' do not use the pastel face cloths, much less the specific wipes. We could probably save ourselves the cost of buying the wipes and just buy new facecloths once/month. Or, get a bucket in the basement to soak them all in bleach everyday.
We're looking at all new towels right now. Went to the outlet to get them but they are out of our pattern. I have to call the warehouse but not until I have time enough to drive down there to pick them up. I'll get 40 facecloths this time and just use the 20 or so that I have right now for rags. They should have been rags a long time ago, but who has the money? We also need new bath towels and hand towels. Same reason. Make-up. The mascara just does not come out. I can see it if I hold the facecloths up to the light. Hubs soaks them in Oxy Clean but it still doesn't come out.
My guess is, of the 40 brand new facecloths I get, I'll have to toss 2-3/month until I have to buy more. Luckily, we get a decent discount so the facecloths will run around $160. New towels, another $225 and the hand towels another $200. That's still a hefty chunk of change. I have to order these when hubs isn't around. It makes him nuts that we have to spend this amount every year on towels.
Then the homeless shelter will get an influx of towels. At least they get used.

CCC
www.quincetreehouse.com.
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Small world!
WOW, you are!! I just looked at your website and saw your names! Too Funny! When we were there, I believe the house you bought was white and for sale?
You guys were our "first"....B&B experience that is
wink_smile.gif
The front and back of the house was grey, one side was grey-green, the other side grey-blue. The previous owners tried to convince us that it was the same paint on all sides but I wasn't convinced, especially on one portion where the grey-blue paint was used to repaint a section of the grey-green side. Needless to say, we have repainted all sides!
CCC

There's really no hope! Wipes and dark cloths in there PLUS an extra set of dark washcloths. Went to flip the room this morning, make up and mascara all over the white HANDTOWEL. Gee, thanks!
The new routine is: keep a bleach pen and spray n'wash in the cleaning bucket for the rooms, zap 'em right there before they go in the laundry, wash towels first on SUPERWASH cycle with Oxygen stain remover. Our towels are getting ready for retirement too, but they've held up a whole year, that's pretty good, I think!

Copperhead said:
Personally when I travel, I bring a drugstore with me in my totebag. I bring all my own soaps, shampoo and makeup remover andanything else I might need. I also try to bring an extra towel wtih me so I am sure not to mess up the B & B towels.

There's really no hope! Wipes and dark cloths in there PLUS an extra set of dark washcloths. Went to flip the room this morning, make up and mascara all over the white HANDTOWEL. Gee, thanks!
The new routine is: keep a bleach pen and spray n'wash in the cleaning bucket for the rooms, zap 'em right there before they go in the laundry, wash towels first on SUPERWASH cycle with Oxygen stain remover. Our towels are getting ready for retirement too, but they've held up a whole year, that's pretty good, I think!.
Proves my point! I have a bottle of Shout in my kit and the towels, facecloths, etc. get treated immediately before hitting the laundry basket. It works for just about all stains. My white towels are now going onto 4 years old.

The new routine is: keep a bleach pen and spray n'wash in the cleaning bucket for the rooms, zap 'em right there before they go in the laundry, wash towels first on SUPERWASH cycle with Oxygen stain remover. Our towels are getting ready for retirement too, but they've held up a whole year, that's pretty good, I think!.
Proves my point! I have a bottle of Shout in my kit and the towels, facecloths, etc. get treated immediately before hitting the laundry basket. It works for just about all stains. My white towels are now going onto 4 years old.
for spots, yes.
for these streaks - dark red/brown in 2 inch paths ... i don't think they are going to come out with all the pretreating i did. i don't have pictures of the towels. will see what happens when they come through the wash.
but here is a picture of the lady's robe ... it was spritzed with shout and bleached, has been washed twice, but i can't give it to another guest because it looks filthy. the stain is a kind of henna skin dye. all stained around the collar, the cuffs and the inside back.
my late mom asked me to color her hair when she was in a physical rehab place for months. i ruined two towels because the hair color dyed them, it dripped off her hair onto the towels around her shoulders. ... i went to the desk and fessed up. i couldn't just shove them in the laundry.
stainedrobe_0.jpg

for spots, yes.
for these streaks - dark red/brown in 2 inch paths ... i don't think they are going to come out with all the pretreating i did. i don't have pictures of the towels. will see what happens when they come through the wash.
but here is a picture of the lady's robe ... it was spritzed with shout and bleached, has been washed twice, but i can't give it to another guest because it looks filthy. the stain is a kind of henna skin dye. all stained around the collar, the cuffs and the inside back.
my late mom asked me to color her hair when she was in a physical rehab place for months. i ruined two towels because the hair color dyed them, it dripped off her hair onto the towels around her shoulders. ... i went to the desk and fessed up. i couldn't just shove them in the laundry.
stainedrobe_0.jpg

I managed to get that bronzer out of a towel with that dual oxy stuff & then I soaked it in warm water for a good while before running the wash. That almost does look like hair dye though. Another innkeeper friends has had a couple of guests die their hair while staying there & got it all over tubs, etc. Big mess!!

for spots, yes.
stainedrobe_0.jpg

Might be a long shot but how about lemon juice and hours of sunshine, for the stain... Rum and sunshine for the innkeeper
tounge_smile.gif

I also found this
webindia123.com said:
To remove the stain of henna from the cloth, dip the cloth in warm milk for half an hour and wash with soap.

Back