Oddest guest request?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A safe is the oddest request you have ever had? That is not even odd.
As SS mentioned, we travel with passports, credit cards, cash, cameras, etc - we do use a safe in a hotel and on a cruise ship, every time..
Joe Bloggs said:
As SS mentioned, we travel with passports, credit cards, cash, cameras, etc - we do use a safe in a hotel and on a cruise ship, every time.
Yup, never been asked that one before. Most guest requests are fairly typical- toothbrush, comb, hairspray, stuff they forgot or stuff that is in the bag that didn't arrive on the same plane with the guest. The only hotel safe I've ever seen was in Jamaica. And I only remember that one because the key was $100 to replace if you lost it. I guess I could leave stuff at the front desk in a hotel but it's not something I think about.

As SS mentioned, we travel with passports, credit cards, cash, cameras, etc - we do use a safe in a hotel and on a cruise ship, every time..
Joe Bloggs said:
As SS mentioned, we travel with passports, credit cards, cash, cameras, etc - we do use a safe in a hotel and on a cruise ship, every time.
Yup, never been asked that one before. Most guest requests are fairly typical- toothbrush, comb, hairspray, stuff they forgot or stuff that is in the bag that didn't arrive on the same plane with the guest. The only hotel safe I've ever seen was in Jamaica. And I only remember that one because the key was $100 to replace if you lost it. I guess I could leave stuff at the front desk in a hotel but it's not something I think about.
Bree said:
Joe Bloggs said:
I will add, as my parents travel a bit and stay in hotels where they automatically charge $1 per day for the safe-use even if you do not use it. This had been a battle going on for years now, not sure if it has been corrected or not. So to try to get the $1 back is more hassle than it is worth and the chains make the addtl $1 per room. So the first thing Mother does is ask about that at check in now. Just an fyi.

Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
Joe Bloggs said:
I will add, as my parents travel a bit and stay in hotels where they automatically charge $1 per day for the safe-use even if you do not use it. This had been a battle going on for years now, not sure if it has been corrected or not. So to try to get the $1 back is more hassle than it is worth and the chains make the addtl $1 per room. So the first thing Mother does is ask about that at check in now. Just an fyi.
I'll tell my parents. You know us, we stay at B&B's where they don't tack on a fee for every little thing!

Ok, just got it now...guests who are staying Thursday/Friday/Saturday nights with us starting tomorrow. They stopped by just now to see if they could "check some things into their room", as they have to check out of their other b&b tomorrow at 10 am.
SO, you don't want to stay here tonight or pay anything, but you want to be able to access your room right now and at 10 am tomorrow? Hold on, let me check with the PEOPLE WHO ARE STAYING IN YOUR ROOM TONIGHT to see if they'd mind...
Bizarre.

Ok, just got it now...guests who are staying Thursday/Friday/Saturday nights with us starting tomorrow. They stopped by just now to see if they could "check some things into their room", as they have to check out of their other b&b tomorrow at 10 am.
SO, you don't want to stay here tonight or pay anything, but you want to be able to access your room right now and at 10 am tomorrow? Hold on, let me check with the PEOPLE WHO ARE STAYING IN YOUR ROOM TONIGHT to see if they'd mind...
Bizarre..
I've had that one, too. Just drop their things off until they return a day or so later.
Thinking back on this, maybe the safe wasn't the oddest request. I think asking to have their tires delivered here was.

We do have a spa, but that exceeds our limits..
SweetiePie said:
We do have a spa, but that exceeds our limits.
Thank God! I had visions of you, a can of Gillette Foamy and a pack of Bic razors and some big hairy dude(?).
smiley-whacky011.gif

SweetiePie said:
Thank God! I had visions of you, a can of Gillette Foamy and a pack of Bic razors and some big hairy dude(?).
smiley-whacky011.gif

Proud Texan said:
SweetiePie said:
smiley-whacky011.gif
TEXAN, YOU ARE CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
poke.gif

SweetiePie said:
smiley-whacky011.gif

He didn't want a shave, he wanted a wax. Still too weird for me. Especially the Howie Mandell.
SweetiePie said:
He didn't want a shave, he wanted a wax. Still too weird for me. Especially the Howie Mandell.
Way tmi.
We have a "room hopper" that has booked three nights, each one week apart, each time in a different room. Maybe he couldn't pick?
Can't think of any weird requests offhand...
=)
Kk.

Well to add to this, a guest and his wife arrived today a couple of hrs. ago and asked for some food to tie them over until they go out for supper. Their restaurant reservation is for an hr. from. now.
I handed them each a banana and a muffin. Now would they ask for this at a hotel?

Well to add to this, a guest and his wife arrived today a couple of hrs. ago and asked for some food to tie them over until they go out for supper. Their restaurant reservation is for an hr. from. now.
I handed them each a banana and a muffin. Now would they ask for this at a hotel?.
I almost hate to admit it for fear of the response and too embarrassed to reveal how little vacationing we've done since opening five years ago but we rarely if ever stay in a B&B anymore.
The ones we have stayed at had no idea who we were or that we were colleagues. Our down time is really, really down time for us.
Even the lowly Best Westerns and such we've stayed at of late have a bowl of fruit, "fresh baked" ( look out for the Pillsbury recall ) cookies in a jar on the counter, etc. to offer people.
Our niece got married last fall and nearly everyone stayed at the nearby hotel and they had not only some great treats, but a much better breakfast then we ever expected. A shuttle bus was provided to and from the country club where the reception was held, so the roads were probably 1000% safer than they would have been.

The oddest request I have ever had was rose petals on the bed and floor when newlyweds arrived. Never again. What a mess and they stain!

Well, since I've now gone a bit undergrond with my identity I can tell you my oddest request:
About 3 years ago, a gentleman called who had stayed here previously on his honeymoon with his second wife. He told me that his wife "Laura" loved this place so much and their time here was very special. He then tells me that "Laura" died in a tragic car accident. She fell asleep while driving. He wanted to know if he could bury her ashes here because that would have ment a lot to her. First I was shocked, and being totally caught off guard I didn't really have time to think, but I figured oh well, there's no harm to it, so I said ok. A few months later my doorbell rings. It turns out they had a memorial service for "Laura" near our location (Laura & Jack lived in a different state) and it was "Jack" who was here to bury the ashes. We discussed the best approach for doing this and we came up with a good location which had a sentimental memory for them. He had a wooden box with her ashes...I gave him a shovel and left him alone. After awhile, "Jack" came back and I spent some time with him walking around our grounds, listening to his stories of their life together. What a sweet man he was. I told him that any time he's back in our area he has an open invitation to come over and visit "Laura".
About 6 months later I received a phone call from a relative of "Jack". I was told that "Jack" was diagnosed with cancer and he had a short time to live. "Jack" had his relative call me to see if it would be ok for his family to bury his ashes here next to "Laura". Of course I said yes. Quite a bit of time passed, but then I got the call from the family and we arranged a time when they could come over, have a memorial near the area (no other guests were here). There were about 25 family members who came from several different states and they buried "Jack" next to "Laura" and said their goodbyes.
Of course this is an extreme case, but it really drives home how we can never really know how we affect people. The environment and connection we make with our guests remains long after they're gone. Even though it freaked me out at first, I am honored that "Jack" and "Laura" felt such a connection here and that we were able to provide their final resting place. Sometimes I think about them when I get snarky and irritated and forget that what we do matters.

Gosh, and the best I had was a request for a heating pad. That's amazing!
=)
Kk.

The oddest request I have ever had was rose petals on the bed and floor when newlyweds arrived. Never again. What a mess and they stain!.
The Farmers Daughter said:
The oddest request I have ever had was rose petals on the bed and floor when newlyweds arrived. Never again. What a mess and they stain!
You have come to the right forum! You will get some great suggestions on that...

Well, since I've now gone a bit undergrond with my identity I can tell you my oddest request:
About 3 years ago, a gentleman called who had stayed here previously on his honeymoon with his second wife. He told me that his wife "Laura" loved this place so much and their time here was very special. He then tells me that "Laura" died in a tragic car accident. She fell asleep while driving. He wanted to know if he could bury her ashes here because that would have ment a lot to her. First I was shocked, and being totally caught off guard I didn't really have time to think, but I figured oh well, there's no harm to it, so I said ok. A few months later my doorbell rings. It turns out they had a memorial service for "Laura" near our location (Laura & Jack lived in a different state) and it was "Jack" who was here to bury the ashes. We discussed the best approach for doing this and we came up with a good location which had a sentimental memory for them. He had a wooden box with her ashes...I gave him a shovel and left him alone. After awhile, "Jack" came back and I spent some time with him walking around our grounds, listening to his stories of their life together. What a sweet man he was. I told him that any time he's back in our area he has an open invitation to come over and visit "Laura".
About 6 months later I received a phone call from a relative of "Jack". I was told that "Jack" was diagnosed with cancer and he had a short time to live. "Jack" had his relative call me to see if it would be ok for his family to bury his ashes here next to "Laura". Of course I said yes. Quite a bit of time passed, but then I got the call from the family and we arranged a time when they could come over, have a memorial near the area (no other guests were here). There were about 25 family members who came from several different states and they buried "Jack" next to "Laura" and said their goodbyes.
Of course this is an extreme case, but it really drives home how we can never really know how we affect people. The environment and connection we make with our guests remains long after they're gone. Even though it freaked me out at first, I am honored that "Jack" and "Laura" felt such a connection here and that we were able to provide their final resting place. Sometimes I think about them when I get snarky and irritated and forget that what we do matters..
WOW that's amazing!

The oddest request I have ever had was rose petals on the bed and floor when newlyweds arrived. Never again. What a mess and they stain!.
I don't know if anyone has told you yet but you need to tell them only silk rose petals. Get them at Michael's
RIki

I don't know if anyone has told you yet but you need to tell them only silk rose petals. Get them at Michael's
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Yes, I discovered them after the fact.
728658.gif

Of course this is an extreme case, but it really drives home how we can never really know how we affect people. The environment and connection we make with our guests remains long after they're gone. Even though it freaked me out at first, I am honored that "Jack" and "Laura" felt such a connection here and that we were able to provide their final resting place. Sometimes I think about them when I get snarky and irritated and forget that what we do matters..
Now that is what I would call ODD.

Now that is what I would call ODD.
OR, cynical as I can be at times - CHEAP. A cemetary plot costs a lot of money - do you know how much is charged to "open and close that hole"? Sorry, NW, I do not mean to downplay the sentimentaity of it for you, but it is sort of what I have told my kids to do. Sort of.
There is one more hole in the graves my grandparents bought in 1932. I told them to keep whoever in the closet (ashes) until the other dies and then go up to the cemetary and "plant flowers" next to my Daddy and leave empty handed.

Back