Off your game

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me thinks you "need a day off once or twice a week". to help charge worn out soul..
Went out to dinner last night. It was just what DH needed to decompress a little.
When we got home, two guests were waiting. They had locked two sets of keys in their room. Sigh. That's why you feel you can't leave.
(It won't stop us from leaving, but it does give one pause.)
Just curious, do you leave a sign out to let guests know that you've gone out?
We do if we are expecting check ins. Saying when we'll be back and inviting them to have coffee.
But we didn't last night. I think it might be a good idea. With DH's cell number.
Does everyone routinely leave a note?
We have a small clip board fastened to the door frame. The normal note showing lists office hours and asks that they ring the door bell, one says working in the garden, ring the big farm bell, one says cleaning rooms, look for us in guest rooms, a variety suit most needs, final note which is taped to the clipboard says "sorry no rooms, thanks for stopping", it saves jumping up when we have no rooms or got tired of price shoppers and went to bed. I save and print the notes on card stock from the computer.
Like Jim we have a variety of different signs that we leave out, depending on the situation. "Out for a sail," "On errands in town, back soon," "Out to dinner," "On errands out of town, gone all afternoon," etc...
The main sign says "We are on the property .... somewhere! Ring the bell like you mean it (it's a big property!)"
We always have our business phone number forwarded to one of our cell phones (I mean always!), so we just list the business number for people to call.
We have two signs. One is for errands and lists check in time and invites them to leave their car here or have coffee. The other says, "We are out by the pond." And like you said above, we aren't just hanging around, we are cleaning the filters or managing the plants.
I guess I'll make another for evenings saying, 'We are out for the evening. If you have an emergency, please call DH's cell, xxx xxx xxxx."
I would be tempted on this to have a we are returning time at X - my neighbour has had problems with this on and off - told people going out with husband or whatever and all breaks loose as they think they are there on their own for the night - doesn't have to be true ie we will be back by 10pm etc

Me thinks you "need a day off once or twice a week". to help charge worn out soul..
Went out to dinner last night. It was just what DH needed to decompress a little.
When we got home, two guests were waiting. They had locked two sets of keys in their room. Sigh. That's why you feel you can't leave.
We do if we are expecting check ins. Saying when we'll be back and inviting them to have coffee.
But we didn't last night. I think it might be a good idea. With DH's cell number.
We have a small clip board fastened to the door frame. The normal note showing lists office hours and asks that they ring the door bell, one says working in the garden, ring the big farm bell, one says cleaning rooms, look for us in guest rooms, a variety suit most needs, final note which is taped to the clipboard says "sorry no rooms, thanks for stopping", it saves jumping up when we have no rooms or got tired of price shoppers and went to bed. I save and print the notes on card stock from the computer.
Like Jim we have a variety of different signs that we leave out, depending on the situation. "Out for a sail," "On errands in town, back soon," "Out to dinner," "On errands out of town, gone all afternoon," etc...
The main sign says "We are on the property .... somewhere! Ring the bell like you mean it (it's a big property!)"
We always have our business phone number forwarded to one of our cell phones (I mean always!), so we just list the business number for people to call.
We have two signs. One is for errands and lists check in time and invites them to leave their car here or have coffee. The other says, "We are out by the pond." And like you said above, we aren't just hanging around, we are cleaning the filters or managing the plants.
I guess I'll make another for evenings saying, 'We are out for the evening. If you have an emergency, please call DH's cell, xxx xxx xxxx."
Ours says: gone out for a bit, back at 7. Need us? Call (with cell number)
We've only had one guest call and she was supposed to be arriving late which is why we went out. Someone let her in then didn't know what to do with her.

TheBeachHouse said:

My cell phone number is on the guest keys. When I check them in, I routinely tell them "I do live here, but it's a big house and I may run out for errands or grab a bite to eat. Feel free to call or text me anytime if you can't find me." That also gives me the freedom to hide out in my quarters if I choose to.

TheBeachHouse said:

My cell phone number is on the guest keys. When I check them in, I routinely tell them "I do live here, but it's a big house and I may run out for errands or grab a bite to eat. Feel free to call or text me anytime if you can't find me." That also gives me the freedom to hide out in my quarters if I choose to.
its also handy if they just need the answer to a question like "can i have a town map" you can answer that from anywhere

TheBeachHouse said:

Love this idea! I put my a WiFi password on my keys along with the door code. Number is displayed on front desk and on room notes but this is something they would take with them during the day.

TheBeachHouse said:

Love this idea! I put my a WiFi password on my keys along with the door code. Number is displayed on front desk and on room notes but this is something they would take with them during the day.
2cat_lady said:
and if they lose the keys? How often do you change the door code?

See this is why we set up the phone system - I don't want the guests to know I am not there - we have a call phone in reception/lounge which goes direct to my mobile I can be anywhere doesn't matter.
We have found that notifying guests that we are gone is only necessary when we are spending more than one hour away travel time for longer than a couple of hours.
When we will be away from the B&B locally for any reason, even if we are just going down to the garden, we use the call forwarding feature for our land line (com c*st) to forward calls to our cell phone. That way we are always available through our published telephone number and can keep our cell number private.
When we are home we disable the call forwarding so we are not bothered on our cell phone with incoming calls that can be screened through our answering machine.

TheBeachHouse said:

2cat_lady said:
JBloggs said:
And if they lose the keys? How often do you change the door code?

Believe it or not, in twelve years, I have never had keys lost or go missing. Twice, guests have left WITH the keys upon check out (I have duplicates, of course), and they simply mailed them back.

The door code is changed for self check ins, but otherwise is a secret code known only to me and those I let know of it. The door code is not on the keys, only my cell number. I tell them to call me even if out and about and need help with directions or restaurant recommendations. It has worked very well for me. So on weekends, when I am full, the inn number is not forwarded to my cell. I don't have to deal with people that wait until the day they arrive at the beach in the middle of the busy tourist season to look for a room and then take it out on me when they can't find one. If my cell phone rings, I know it's a guest or a friend/family, and I'm happy to answer. Makes for a much more pleasing weekend for me!

TheBeachHouse said:

2cat_lady said:
JBloggs said:

Believe it or not, in twelve years, I have never had keys lost or go missing. Twice, guests have left WITH the keys upon check out (I have duplicates, of course), and they simply mailed them back.

The door code is changed for self check ins, but otherwise is a secret code known only to me and those I let know of it. The door code is not on the keys, only my cell number. I tell them to call me even if out and about and need help with directions or restaurant recommendations. It has worked very well for me. So on weekends, when I am full, the inn number is not forwarded to my cell. I don't have to deal with people that wait until the day they arrive at the beach in the middle of the busy tourist season to look for a room and then take it out on me when they can't find one. If my cell phone rings, I know it's a guest or a friend/family, and I'm happy to answer. Makes for a much more pleasing weekend for me!
BananaE29 said:
JBloggs said:

are they attached to a gas can?
haha
We had one guy stop at a market in another city and ask the clerk to mail them back to us. He called to tell me this, i was incredulous. Needless to say, they never arrived here.
I was asking cat-lady as she had her door code on the keys. I know, it is not in a big city or anything. But drugs and desperate people live in the country too.

TheBeachHouse said:

2cat_lady said:
JBloggs said:

BananaE29 said:
JBloggs said:

haha
We had one guy stop at a market in another city and ask the clerk to mail them back to us. He called to tell me this, i was incredulous. Needless to say, they never arrived here.
I was asking cat-lady as she had her door code on the keys. I know, it is not in a big city or anything. But drugs and desperate people live in the country too.
JBloggs said:

Haha :) No, but they do have a carabiner on them, so I always suggest they attach them to their car keys.

JB, no one has lost them yet! And around here, everyone feels so safe that I have a hard time getting the guests themselves to lock the door! I tell everyone that I'll lock it by a certain time.
And the code is changed frequently. And the info is in a little plastic key tag that I just snap open and replace as needed. This is on a ring with a little Newfie decoration.

JB, no one has lost them yet! And around here, everyone feels so safe that I have a hard time getting the guests themselves to lock the door! I tell everyone that I'll lock it by a certain time.
And the code is changed frequently. And the info is in a little plastic key tag that I just snap open and replace as needed. This is on a ring with a little Newfie decoration..
2cat_lady said:
And the code is changed frequently. And the info is in a little plastic key tag that I just snap open and replace as needed. This is on a ring with a little Newfie decoration.
We don't change ours often. I know, shock horror.
It is more a "sense of security" for those who live in big cities than anything else.

And the code is changed frequently. And the info is in a little plastic key tag that I just snap open and replace as needed. This is on a ring with a little Newfie decoration..
2cat_lady said:
It is more a "sense of security" for those who live in big cities than anything else.
JBloggs said:
2cat_lady said:
I change the stinkin' thing daily!

2cat_lady said:
JBloggs said:
2cat_lady said:
I change the stinkin' thing daily!
We give each guest a code... so we can erase it when they leave. Even better on the rooms... at 11AM their code won't work. Go out for a walk and come back to find you have to BEG to get back into the room :)

Back